FAA vs YouTube Commercial Pilot channel(s)...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
This doesn't look like it'll end well...

0e62020bc2f02bf97f8830ce4cb93ed7.jpg

I checked out his YouTube channel. I don't know what Part CFR he's flying under, but using a GoPro (wireless capability) during flight is (might be) a no-no, I think.

That would be easy to fix. I'm wondering if it's more an ops rule from his company he's missing or busting, or if they took exception to his showing off ForeFlight in GPS on mode without it being approved by the company.

He's being vague, and that hints at "money" and he doesn't want to say what it is, and that would be the ForeFlight sponsorship.

Hard to say. Could be electronic devices on the flight deck legalities or could be the unapproved Nav device.

Be interesting to see if the videos continue and if they do, if we ever hear what it really was.

That would be easy to fix. I'm wondering if it's more an ops rule from his company he's missing or busting, or if they took exception to his showing off ForeFlight in GPS on mode without it being approved by the company.

He's being vague, and that hints at "money" and he doesn't want to say what it is, and that would be the ForeFlight sponsorship.

Hard to say. Could be electronic devices on the flight deck legalities or could be the unapproved Nav device.

Be interesting to see if the videos continue and if they do, if we ever hear what it really was.
If it's the FAA, I'm guessing its a PED rule thing (again, depending on who he's flying for and under which rules). The rule is silly, because it's based on wireless capability. So a GoPro that had wireless abilities would be a no-no, even if it's turned off. My new Canon EOS Rebel T6i is verboten, because it's wireless capable. My old Canon Elph 300 HS is ok. Stupid, and they probably wouldn't know of care until you have, say, a YouTube channel with thousands of followers.

If it's the FAA, I'm guessing its a PED rule thing (again, depending on who he's flying for and under which rules). The rule is silly, because it's based on wireless capability. So a GoPro that had wireless abilities would be a no-no, even if it's turned off. My new Canon EOS Rebel T6i is verboten, because it's wireless capable. My old Canon Elph 300 HS is ok. Stupid, and they probably wouldn't know of care until you have, say, a YouTube channel with thousands of followers.

Ok, but if that's the case, why would the remedy that the FAA wants for him to shut down the YouTube channel, as opposed to it being a certificate action?

Ok, but if that's the case, why would the remedy that the FAA wants for him to shut down the YouTube channel, as opposed to it being a certificate action?

He could be embellishing there. And that'd lead to the camera thing. Can't operate the camera, that'd be "shutting down the channel".

Funny thing is, same FAA would be giddy if he did screw up and crashed, to find the same camera in the wreckage to look at the footage to figure out what went wrong. LOL.

They've wanted cameras in cockpits for years. Just the "records to a black box and is certified by us" variety.

In a couple of the videos from that young kid flying in Hawaii or wherever he's working he specifically mentions "filmed with faa approval" so I wonder if the kid is onto something.

I'm not privy to any more information than Nate gave in the post, and it's not clear what the potential violation is (or for that matter, what kind of "help" his viewers can provide if the FAA is coming after him).

But under the FAA's current Compliance Policy, I would expect the FAA to seek voluntary compliance with the rules before bringing a certificate action.

I'm not privy to any more information than Nate gave in the post, and it's not clear what the potential violation is (or for that matter, what kind of "help" his viewers can provide if the FAA is coming after him).

But under the FAA's current Compliance Policy, I would expect the FAA to seek voluntary compliance with the rules before bringing a certificate action.

Sure, but what potential rule can be brought into compliance by taking down a YouTube channel?

I can understand if he makes money from the YouTube channel and he was a private pilot or something, but he holds at least a commercial.

Sure, but what potential rule can be brought into compliance by taking down a YouTube channel?

I can understand if he makes money from the YouTube channel and he was a private pilot or something, but he holds at least a commercial.
Beats me since I don't know enough about the story. As Nate suggested, "taking down the YouTube channel" could be his description of the practical result of compliance with some other rule being violated rather than something to be taken literally. I won't play 24/7 cable news and speculate on what that might be.

I enjoy his videos. I'm assuming the FAA is coming after the Caravan videos because it's a 135 operation. Hopefully it works out for him.

I think he only films on empty legs in the Caravan, so that's 91 also.

In a couple of the videos from that young kid flying in Hawaii or wherever he's working he specifically mentions "filmed with faa approval" so I wonder if the kid is onto something.
Swayne is flying for a Part 121 op. Lots more restrictions.

Meanwhile, out of curiosity, I started following Steveo's Facebook page. Lots of comments on this, but no response from Steveo about the basis of the action. If he (and the companies he works for) were smart enough to get professional advice, the first piece was probably, "don't talk about this on social media!"

They're actually scheduled 135. But he does show passengers in the background which would explain the need for "FAA approval".

Meanwhile, out of curiosity, I started following Steveo's Facebook page. Lots of comments on this, but no response from Steveo about the basis of the action. If he (and the companies he works for) were smart enough to get professional advice, the first piece was probably, "don't talk about this on social media!"
Two things come to mind Mark ( hope you had a great trip btw)

1) He doesn't want to say what it is because a) he doesn't want it to be taken as an admission at an administrative hearing and/or 2) His attorney wisely said keep your mouth shut.

Although I have to admit the memory of a certain TV pastor. came to mind. who claimed G-d would " call him home" if he didn't get a certain number of donations". Although this pilot has not asked for any money. I never heard of him but went to see his videos and they look pretty good . Who knows perhaps the FAA has inadvertently boosted his subscriber numbers. I hope he gets it sorted out.

Two things come to mind Mark ( hope you had a great trip btw)

1) He doesn't want to say what it is because a) he doesn't want it to be taken as an admission at an administrative hearing and/or 2) His attorney wisely said keep your mouth shut.

Although I have to admit the memory of a certain TV pastor. came to mind. who claimed G-d would " call him home" if he didn't get a certain number of donations". Although this pilot has not asked for any money. I never heard of him but went to see his videos and they look pretty good . Who knows perhaps the FAA has inadvertently boosted his subscriber numbers. I hope he gets it sorted out.
I'm actually a fan of Steveo's videos. He's probably the most-watched aviation guy on YouTube.

Thanks. The trip was great. I'll have some flying videos of my own from it. Not the productions Steveo does; just some nice scenery set t music.

I really enjoy Steve Os videos.
There's another guy Capt Moonbeam who flies a Citation sometimes filming while pax are on break are, but I think that's all 91 stuff.

Why aren't they going after that MrAviation101 guy also then? He has some hazardous attitudes sometimes.

There's another guy Capt Moonbeam who flies a Citation sometimes filming while pax are on break are, but I think that's all 91 stuff.

Why aren't they going after that MrAviation101 guy also then? He has some hazardous attitudes sometimes.
Not sure about Moonbeam. I believe he is under 91 but I'm not positive.

As far as MrAviation, you can't be serious? He's simply recording his personal ventures. No violation with that.

Hopefully Steveo can pull out of this one. He produces some great videos.

MrAviation101 isn't that bad. His videos are cheesy but he seems to be attracting new pilots which is always a good thing

If the FAA has to to waste on this trivial crap, perhaps we need to downsize them a bit.

In fairness to the FAA given all the personal tech emerging, they can't let it get out of control. Heaven forbid some airliner crashes while some 121 pilot is fiddling with filming his or her approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who's the guy with the 310 that posts approaches where he pegs the needles full-scale? Now there's a project for the FAA....

Who's the guy with the 310 that posts approaches where he pegs the needles full-scale? Now there's a project for the FAA....

My fave was the Cirrus pilot 19 year old or so flying an approach to below minimums in a snowstorm while an airliner is holding, and then because it's just for practice he takes off again....

You know what scares me more than anything is that a bunch of pilots have to sit here and contemplate what he did wrong. It certainly wasn't anything obvious.

I do not recall seeing him say any video was "under FAA approval" although he did mention that they were "company approved".

MrAviation101's video aren't bad. There were 2 videos I called him out on some dangerous stuff. One was pretty bad on a night flight, just after takeoff roll about 10' off the ground he turns his head all the way around to look at the pax in the rear seat. I think he asks if everyone is feeling good or something like that. I told him he's dangerous for doing that and should have edited it out, or just take the entire video down. His little fan club blew up my channel, I had pilots with one video of their discovery flight, or PPL solo, or just FSX videos, telling me I'm an idiot for saying that was dangerous lol...

I'm not saying I'm any better, just a little safer. As much as I love flying, and making videos I no longer share them publically. I'm glad that people like Steveo an MrAviation101 do, I find it both educational and entertaining.

I would guess sterile cockpit rule, but 95% of what he says is like a verbal checklist. I've never seen him use a checklist, but he seems to have them memorized.

I would guess sterile cockpit rule, but 95% of what he says is like a verbal checklist. I've never seen him use a checklist, but he seems to have them memorized.
I've seen a few videos where he uses a paper checklist and the checklist on the 430. My friend met SteveO at an FBO and he asked him about checklists and he says he edits the checklist usage out.

I do not recall seeing him say any video was "under FAA approval" although he did mention that they were "company approved".

That comment was in reference to Swayne Martin's recent videos at an airline in Hawaii. He definitely has a caption that says he has both company and FAA approval to film with passengers on board for a recent "commercial" advertising the airline and asking pilots to send resumes.

Not Steveo's stuff. Different pilot.

I like Steve's videos. When did the FAA gain the right to shut down any online posting?

Good grief...poor guy. I commend Mr. Aviation, Steveo, Flight Chops, or anyone filming their flying and sharing it with others. I can't imagine all the BS you'd have to put up with from the backseat flyers.

My fave was the Cirrus pilot 19 year old or so flying an approach to below minimums in a snowstorm while an airliner is holding, and then because it's just for practice he takes off again....

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this...but I actually really enjoy his channel. I've watched all his vids and find his channel to be one of my favorites.

In fairness to the FAA given all the personal tech emerging, they can't let it get out of control. Heaven forbid some airliner crashes while some 121 pilot is fiddling with filming his or her approach.

It's raining airplanes because for those pesky gopros lol

Back