FAA vs YouTube Commercial Pilot channel(s)...

Agreed. I did a quick look at one of his videos and had to wonder; what's the point? And MrAviation101? Ugh, can't stand to watch or listen to that dude.

Maybe I'm just weird or jaded, but in flying 737s, RV-8, AT-6, T-28, B-17, etc, I've never felt the need to record it and plaster it on YouTube... or it could be that I'm just getting crusty and old at 48? Hey you kids, get off my lawn!!
That's the problem, you do this every day. Sort of like if I watched a vlog of someone sitting in a cube typing on a computer all day. Those of us who don't fly for a living might find it interesting. If you ever tried editing video and trying to make a 3 or 4 hour flight interesting you might realise Steveo does a good job. The one thing he does that I find a bit silly is when he talks to the audience and pretends to hear our response and responds to that. Kind of like the Blues clues kids show.

It's one thing to say "how's everybody doing" another thing to respond with "good, good, glad to hear it".

That's the problem, you do this every day. Sort of like if I watched a vlog of someone sitting in a cube typing on a computer all day. Those of us who don't fly for a living might find it interesting. If you ever tried editing video and trying to make a 3 or 4 hour flight interesting you might realise Steveo does a good job. The one thing he does that I find a bit silly is when he talks to the audience and pretends to hear our response and responds to that. Kind of like the Blues clues kids show.

It's one thing to say "how's everybody doing" another thing to respond with "good, good, glad to hear it".

Nah. I like that Steveo wants to know how I I'm doing and then acknowledge it after I answer. :D

WWMA101S ?

Probably argue with you about how it should be done, and scold you for calling yourself a pilot and not knowing that. Especially if you were to call him out.
Then make a video with a dramatically misleading title,and cheesy voiceover.

My instrument instructor would always say that. "NXXXX with the flash" when asked to ident.

I was taught not to respond on the radio to a request for ident (assuming there wasn't an additional communication with it that needed a response), as the ident ping on the controllers screen itself counted as the acknowledgement.

I was taught not to respond on the radio to a request for ident (assuming there wasn't an additional communication with it that needed a response), as the ident ping on the controllers screen itself counted as the acknowledgement.
I don't verbally respond to an ident as well. I just hit the ident button on the transponder.

I don't verbally respond to an ident as well. I just hit the ident button on the transponder.

I just respond with the callsign, shortened appropriately if they've shortened it. Usually. Until Steve's silliness got into my head. LOL.

But the one I've never fell prey to was the temptation to say "smoooooooooth" at the end of a sector check in. LOL.

God that's dumb. Just encourages all the Delta pilots to report more "light chop". Hahahaha. :)

I just respond with the callsign, shortened appropriately if they've shortened it. Usually. Until Steve's silliness got into my head. LOL.

But the one I've never fell prey to was the temptation to say "smoooooooooth" at the end of a sector check in. LOL.

God that's dumb. Just encourages all the Delta pilots to report more "light chop". Hahahaha. :)

Haha I've heard that one before. Guy sounds like he was working out his morning constitutional right there in the airplane seat. :)

Think the controllers will ever stop using "Dixie" for the letter D, after this weekend's idiocy in the south?

I'm amazed the PC management at FAA allows controllers to even say it anymore.

It's "racist", right? LOL.

Haha I've heard that one before. Guy sounds like he was working out his morning constitutional right there in the airplane seat. :)

Think the controllers will ever stop using "Dixie" for the letter D, after this weekend's idiocy in the south?

I'm amazed the PC management at FAA allows controllers to even say it anymore.

It's "racist", right? LOL.
If they get rid of Dixie in ATL all the Delta guys are going to be screwed lol

Hmm must be a thing around here. People in the flight levels...

"Denver Center, Airliner 1234, level 340, smoooooooooooth..."

As a ride report.
It's very common, and appreciated in the flight levels. Ride reports are a big thing at altitude, and center tracks the reports very carefully. Reporting the ride on check in does cut down on overall radio chatter.

It's very common, and appreciated in the flight levels. Ride reports are a big thing at altitude, and center tracks the reports very carefully. Reporting the ride on check in does cut down on overall radio chatter.

Technically it raises the chatter, but I don't care if y'all do it.

Technically it raises the chatter, but I don't care if y'all do it.
No it doesn't. Many times you will be asked at some point, and when you report it on check in 95% of the time the controller will respond with rides ahead. It eliminates the questions from both pilot and controllers.

No it doesn't. Many times you will be asked at some point, and when you report it on check in 95% of the time the controller will respond with rides ahead. It eliminates the questions from both pilot and controllers.

Controllers aren't responsible for weather. That the airlines have turned the high altitude sector controllers into ride report takers, is nice and all, and an excellent teamwork thing in the era of morons who won't leave their seat belts on -- and like I said, feel free -- I don't care -- but there are other frequencies set aside for that and plenty of time to use them in cruise at 340.

It's one of those things where a bad habit turned into something useful. Controllers went along with it over the years.

Don't even know why the controllers bother to announce that "Hazardous weather for [list for ten States] is available from Flight Watch or Flight Service." Nobody switches over and asks. You'll hear someone ten seconds after that announcement ask the controller what they've heard about the weather in front of them.

It works because the system, as designed, does a crappy job of connecting controllers to the weather folk's knowledge and information. Always has.

Controllers aren't responsible for weather. That the airlines have turned the high altitude sector controllers into ride report takers, is nice and all, and an excellent teamwork thing in the era of morons who won't leave their seat belts on -- and like I said, feel free -- I don't care -- but there are other frequencies set aside for that and plenty of time to use them in cruise at 340.

It's one of throes things where a bad habit turned into something useful. Controllers went along with it over the years.

Don't even know why the controllers bother to announce that "Hazardous weather for [list for ten States] is available from Flight Watch or Flight Service." Nobody switches over and asks. You'll hear someone ten seconds after that announcement ask the controller what they've heard about the weather in front of them.

It works because the system, as designed, does a crappy job of connecting controllers to the weather folk's knowledge and information. Always has.
ATC may not be responsible for weather, but I assure you ride reports at high altitude are heavily solicited by ATC, tracked, ask for by crew, and passed along. Not once in a while, but literally all the time.
It's different than TRACON, and even a bit different in lower altitude Center sectors.

ATC may not be responsible for weather, but I assure you ride reports at high altitude are heavily solicited by ATC, tracked, ask for by crew, and passed along. Not once in a while, but literally all the time.
It's different than TRACON, and even a bit different in lower altitude Center sectors.

Understand. Bad habit of not going to official weather sources made the high altitude sectors into weather clearinghouses. I don't mind. But it's technically not what the center controllers are there for.

Weather reports to controllers also reduces the usefulness of the PIREP system overall. It's exceedingly rare they have time to file them into the system designed for that.

Understand. Bad habit of not going to official weather sources made the high altitude sectors into weather clearinghouses. I don't mind. But it's technically not what the center controllers are there for.

Weather reports to controllers also reduces the usefulness of the PIREP system overall. It's exceedingly rare they have time to file them into the system designed for that.
High altitude turbulence can be too localized and chang too quickly for those other methods.
I do believe part of their duties are to pass along issues that can affect flight.
Remember, we may have 20 people standing up at any given time. Turbulence can truly be an issue for an airliner at high altitude.

High altitude turbulence can be too localized and chang too quickly for those other methods.
I do believe part of their duties are to pass along issues that can affect flight.
Remember, we may have 20 people standing up at any given time. Turbulence can truly be an issue for an airliner at high altitude.

Some days. Not some days.

You hear the same chatter on days when the jet stream has been at mountain top level over the Rockies for ten days straight in winter, and nothing has changed. The ride still sucks and has for a week. And the charts show it.

Controllers provide weather on a workload-permitting basis. They rarely turn down a request for weather information, but could. The system, as designed, was intended to handle weather on different frequencies, provided and tracked by weather professionals. Not controllers.

Those days are long gone, AFSS isn't up to the job anyway, which like I've said, I don't care.

Some days. Not some days.

You hear the same chatter on days when the jet stream has been at mountain top level over the Rockies for ten days straight in winter, and nothing has changed. The ride still sucks and has for a week. And the charts show it.

Controllers provide weather on a workload-permitting basis. They rarely turn down a request for weather information, but could. The system, as designed, was intended to handle weather on different frequencies, provided and tracked by weather professionals. Not controllers.

Those days are long gone, AFSS isn't up to the job anyway, which like I've said, I don't care.
But enroute turbulence is different from reading the weather at KXXX.

Anyway, I will estimate 1/4 of the chat on high altitude sectors is about rides. It's just the way it is. So, it's not uncommon to checkin with a ride report. Mostly it's appreciated.

"Houston, flight 123 FL 370 constant light chop"

"Flight 123 Houston, expect more of the same for the next 100 miles. Better below 330."

Standard

You're saying this like any of us are unaware of it. This isn't exactly any big secret in the age of LiveATC.

You're saying this like any of us are unaware of it. This isn't exactly any big secret in the age of LiveATC.
Okay, I'll go with that. But I don't really know who here listens to the high altitude sectors of ATC. If ride reports are this unknown, than I assume not many.

To be honest, most here are somewhere between PPL, IR, and CPL.
If I were one of those folks I would be listening to, and trying to learn from, the lower level TRACON folks. That's where the action really is.

Okay, I'll go with that. But I don't really know who here listens to the high altitude sectors of ATC. If ride reports are this unknown, than I assume not many.

To be honest, most here are somewhere between PPL, IR, and CPL.
If I were one of those folks I would be listening to, and trying to learn from, the lower level TRACON folks. That's where the action really is.

The TRACONs are all extremely busy, for sure. Most are on top of their game. (I'm not so sure about PHX. :) )

Is there any update from Steveo?

Haven't seen any. If it's anything like King's medical, it'll take years to hear the whole story.

When he posted that knee-jerk reaction he probably got lawyered up and they told him to shut up.

But if not, the process still takes bloody forever for anything like we've all speculated on, especially if he ticked off the inspector with the online drama.

I think the very last thing I'd post in a situation like that is the equivalent of "Come at me bro!" to the FAA. LOL.

Haven't seen any. If it's anything like King's medical, it'll take years to hear the whole story.

When he posted that knee-jerk reaction he probably got lawyered up and they told him to shut up.

But if not, the process still takes bloody forever for anything like we've all speculated on, especially if he ticked off the inspector with the online drama.

I think the very last thing I'd post in a situation like that is the equivalent of "Come at me bro!" to the FAA. LOL.
It looks like he posted a new video about a week ago

ixPsNWh.png

It looks like he posted a new video about a week ago

ixPsNWh.png

LOL... I love the Cotton thing...

I suspect he already had that episode "in the can", as in footage already shot, and figured it was the last money he was going to see from YouTube for a while...

I posted a video on Youtube, so my brother could download it. I seemed the easiest way to get him the video.
I had taken him flying and since it doesn't happen often, I recorded the event.
In the video, my brother jokes that I had to pay him an "appropriate and adequate amount of danegeld, to get into the airplane. Half up front, half on landing. Otherwise he'd never get into the plane." (He isn't a pilot, and doesn't like flying all that much). He had 3 Krugerrands in his pocket and held them up for the camera.
Less than 24 hours after posting it someone from the Albany FSDO contacted me and wanted "clarification" on who got paid, how much was paid, and was I in violation of anything. It seems there was no paperwork filed for any type of for profit operations in my name. Also: Did you know that it makes the US government very uncomfortable when they find people trading gold privately? I didn't.
I'm afraid I laughed at him, and I was a little snarky (not overly, just enough).
I just can't comprehend the "feeding at the public trough" mind.

I posted a video on Youtube, so my brother could download it. I seemed the easiest way to get him the video.
I had taken him flying and since it doesn't happen often, I recorded the event.
In the video, my brother jokes that I had to pay him an "appropriate and adequate amount of danegeld, to get into the airplane. Half up front, half on landing. Otherwise he'd never get into the plane." (He isn't a pilot, and doesn't like flying all that much). He had 3 Krugerrands in his pocket and held them up for the camera.
Less than 24 hours after posting it someone from the Albany FSDO contacted me and wanted "clarification" on who got paid, how much was paid, and was I in violation of anything. It seems there was no paperwork filed for any type of for profit operations in my name. Also: Did you know that it makes the US government very uncomfortable when they find people trading gold privately? I didn't.
I'm afraid I laughed at him, and I was a little snarky (not overly, just enough).
I got a good laugh out of that - thanks!

Nothing to comprehend. Just remember that they are just doing their job for your own good. That is all.

Back