Does getting your Multi rating make you a better pilot?

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
Getting my Instrument Rating definitely improved my flying skills, as well as changing my overall approach to planning and executing a flight for travel purposes. While watching a few videos of people flying twins, I've noticed an even more methodical approach than what I do now.

So does getting your MEI rating improve your piloting skills, even if you're flying a single?

If I am unsure of whether or not I'll end up getting a twin in the future (for the sake of argument, let's say there's a 50/50 chance), is it still worth getting the rating?

Not sure it will help ,if your not going to be flying,or renting a twin. After you start flying a light twin on a regular basis,you can also get complacent.

Not sure it will help ,if your not going to be flying,or renting a twin. After you start flying a light twin on a regular basis,you can also get complacent.

That's true of any aircraft, single or twin. I'm very pro-active about not becoming complacent, to the point of dedicating at least one flight per month to review and practice all maneuvers and emergency procedures, spending extra time on any procedure that I don't feel I have down as well as I should. No such thing as too much practice.

Not the multiengine rating per se. It is a lot of fun, which isn't a bad reason to do it and it will increase one's knowledge base, but not like getting an instrument rating.

This. If you are just doing it to get the rating then never flying a multi again, I'm not sure how beneficial it is to get the rating. I guess learning a new skill is always good though.

anything that makes you scared chitless adds to your respect and makes you safer.
when doing me training you should have had some chitless added when you learned about what could go wrong and how bad

Just having the multi rating opened a bunch of aviation doors for me. I firmly believe that anything requiring training (like getting the multi) makes one a better pilot.

Given the busy environment of a ME airplane, it gives you a heighted ability to handle many tasks at once and requires a broader level of SA. I don't have my ME rating (yet), but I do have time in a C310.

I firmly believe that anything requiring training (like getting the multi) makes one a better pilot.

This. Strive to always be a student in life, at every stage, in every discipline. There's no way that gaining the skill and going through the training can make you a worse pilot, right? *prepared for examples of bad instructors, mantras about only perfect practice actually makes you perfect, etc etc*

Getting my Instrument Rating definitely improved my flying skills, as well as changing my overall approach to planning and executing a flight for travel purposes. While watching a few videos of people flying twins, I've noticed an even more methodical approach than what I do now.

So does getting your MEI rating improve your piloting skills, even if you're flying a single?

If I am unsure of whether or not I'll end up getting a twin in the future (for the sake of argument, let's say there's a 50/50 chance), is it still worth getting the rating?

Not as much as getting a tail-wheel endorsement.

Yes, an MEI will improve your skills. Vmc demo will give you a better appreciation for using the rudder to pick up a wing. OEI practice will give you a better understanding of maintaining turn coordination. There are other examples. Like most skills in aviation, it explores the realm beyond what you normally see, as such can teach you many skills at the edge of the envelope you see for a normal single engine plane.

Tim

Any flight training and evaluation is good in my book...even if it is a different class of aircraft. Leaving your comfort zone is a good thing for critical thinking and skill development.

And I'd argue that there are a lot of things learned in multi engine training that can be applied to singles. Case in point, feathering props. While single and multi engine props fail differently, you don't appreciate the benefit of feathering a prop (or conversely the drag of an unfeathered prop) until you fly a twin.

Not like a IFR or a backcountry into or glider or something.

It absolutely does, and its a fun rating to get!! I beleive in getting all the ratings you can. You dont know what opportunities lie ahead.

Not particularly. It's easy to get, so you can hold off until you are sure you want/need to fly a twin.

I found the multi to be very useful to the rest of my flying. In particular learning "The Drill". I was reciting Mixture, Props, Throttles, Flaps, Gear in my sleep, and honestly feel more prepared for an engine failure single engine because of it. Granted "The Drill" is a little different when the only engine quits, but that basic sequence is ingrained in my head so much better now.

anything that makes you scared chitless adds to your respect and makes you safer.
when doing me training you should have had some chitless added when you learned about what could go wrong and how bad

Why would getting a multi rating scare you ****less?.

Yes. Any addition to your current knowledge willl make you a better pilot. Not because you are using the ME skills while flying a SE airplane, but in general you will understand more about aerodynamics and expanding your aviation knowledge.
The ME may not rock your world, but it will add to your knowledge.

Yes. Any addition to your current knowledge willl make you a better pilot. Not because you are using the ME skills while flying a SE airplane, but in general you will understand more about aerodynamics and expanding your aviation knowledge.
The ME may not rock your world, but it will add to your knowledge.
Well put. Above was a post about being busier in the cockpit and task management. Even if you aren't using it flying multis, it's more than just wallet candy. That being said, many a single only pilot are outstanding aviators. I guess the point is, it can't hurt but it can help.

it wasn't getting the rating per se - see my post ^^^ it was learning about what could happen.

Nevermind. View:

Odd to have a VMC roll on what apeares to be a low power decent.

Regardlesss... you can show many single engine failures that end in tragedy, so that's really n word pool.

Regardlesss... you can show many single engine failures that end in tragedy, so that's really n word pool.

Pretty sure this was the case when they had engine failure at takeoff and tried to turn back, so would be a full power turn towards the failed engine.

Pretty sure this was the case when they had engine failure at takeoff and tried to turn back, so would be a full power turn towards the failed engine.
Perhaps... but wasn't apparant from the video.

Plus a VMC roll starts slow, so I'm not convinced the initial bank was an attempt to turn back.

it wasn't getting the rating per se - see my post ^^^ it was learning about what could happen.

Nevermind. View:

Yup, that was an engine failure on takeoff of a Queen Air, I believe the place was Puerto Rico. Pretty heavy load but they were just hanging on by the skin of their teeth and tried to turn. The perception of low power is that they just didn't have any more of it.

The video always looked like they could have kept it in the air, but it's hard to say. They gained at least a little altitude in level flight to get to where they were.

If they could have stretched that a while and got just a touch more altitude to trade for speed during a turn, and then made a really wide shallow turn, that might not have ended that way.

That's a tough one. A few less pounds on board, a little more time...

Yup, that was an engine failure on takeoff of a Queen Air, I believe the place was Puerto Rico. Pretty heavy load but they were just hanging on by the skin of their teeth and tried to turn. The perception of low power is that they just didn't have any more of it.

The video always looked like they could have kept it in the air, but it's hard to say. They gained at least a little altitude in level flight to get to where they were.

If they could have stretched that a while and got just a touch more altitude to trade for speed during a turn, and then made a really wide shallow turn, that might not have ended that way.

That's a tough one. A few less pounds on board, a little more time...
I won't play Monday morning quarterback, so I'll keep my yap shut.

I won't play Monday morning quarterback, so I'll keep my yap shut.
The only thing to say for certain (regardless of how they ended up there) is just prior to the VMC roll as his left wing started slowly dropping. The only correct action at that point is to reduce the thrust on the right engine and increase your airspeed. Giving up altitude low to the ground sucks and giving up remaining thrust at that point equally sucks but a controlled crash is better than the resulting alternative.

Getting any additional rating or endorsement SHOULD make you a better pilot. But it does not always work out that way. Some mediocre pilots just can't be helped.

That can happen you you in a glider -less the fire ball.

I guess you are right. Rolling inverted and losing control, then flying straight down into a fireball is no biggie. Yep, gliders do much the same, I'll have to give you that. I will henceforth be less chitless! Besides, no need to use that silly info only to pretend to be more cautious about flying! :D

Back