Do You Ever Not Post?

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Yes, this is a silly post, but I find myself sometimes writing a comment to a thread, usually with what I think is a cogent point, and then not posting it. (On rare occasions I'll post and then go online and delete it.)
Why not post?

Everyone already has their perspective and is not going to be receptive so why bother?
Someone will be offended and post an undeservedly dismissive response.
Someone else will post my thought, anyway (this is more and more my conclusion).
My comments are not directly germane to the OP.
The topic has been covered ad infinitum and I have a point but it's not new.
And so forth.

What is lost? Probably nothing (I said this was a silly post).
But on the other hand (and I'm a 20 year moderator on a totally separate non-aviation forum) I see less and less engagement. Less critical mass. Less critical mass means a community ceases to communicate and loses it's value.

So, (you can see I'm "modern" because I start a phrase with 'so'), that as we communicate with Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn (some use these but not I) the old forum is kind of meandering along and not posting is one of my responses to it.

This post is actually just some random thoughts in my head. Most will not respond but a few will, probably out of boredom. The responses will be pretty much as outlined above. But, I suppose, it doesn't really matter. Some will think of posting, and maybe even start a reply, and then abandon it - for good reason, no doubt. :)

Usually when I start a reply and then decide to not post, it's because I'm responding to what's very likely to be a troll, and then decide that I don't want to give the troll the satisfaction of a response.

Yeah I do it. I might have a strong opinion on something, and decide after writing my post that I don't have time to deal with the opposition fallout, so I'll just cancel and move on.

Aside from that, usually around 7:00 p.m. PDT, the breathalyzer interlock on my computer will kick in and the the "post reply" button will be greyed out.

Someone will be offended and post an undeservedly dismissive response.
these are sometimes funny and quite clever though, I must admit that the 1,500 mile solo cross county has given me many good laughs, and one of the first threads I ever read on here was about spraying water onto a hot engine then hearing it go "tink" - I think the guy's name was "horsey"? That was a riot. More recently the "my son plane green as slime" also gave me a chuckle. As long as people aren't writing something like "yeah, but you're just ugly" we all appreciate a good laugh sometimes, even if it's at our own expense

The topic has been covered ad infinitum and I have a point but it's not new.
age old discussions about high wing vs low wing, piper vs cessna, etc., never go away and are always fun for a rehash every 6 months or so

If I actually posted even 10% of the crap I think about when reading some threads, I'd probably get permanently banned.

Hahahahaha - so true!

sometimes i don't. but takin the time to reply to this makes me very suspect as a serial poster who is lying

When someone is looking for expertise, I don't post unless I have some. I have reached the expert level of not posting. So I am posting this. Oh, Mr. Spock, Mr. Spock, what is that funny look on your face?

Sometimes during mid reply I see that I'm straying too far from the original topic and won't post or will delete after posting. Sometimes I realize the person I'm replying to, most likely won't accept my alternative view anyway, so I won't post.

In the little time I have been here I have seen a change on this forum. When I first joined I thought I might be a little helpful to those who have questions, but now I see too much bashing of others responses. Too much of you don't know squat because I know squat. And the usual few experts that want to show how much more knowledge they have and how little other responders have no knowledge. And the ones that know more about your business and tell you so but have no clue what so ever.

I don't see much of others being helpful anymore, not like one automotive forum I frequent. And when someone has a question, it is usually answered and if there is nothing more to be said, I move on.

So I don't post much about aviation, and I have typed, then deleted some responses because I just didn't care to give bait to those that are here to slam others.

I pretty much stay on here for the entertainment value now, and I have had a few good laughs lately.

In the little time I have been here I have seen a change on this forum. When I first joined I thought I might be a little helpful to those who have questions, but now I see too much bashing of others responses.

That's unfortunate. I do notice the same that the automotive forums tend to be very civil and tame. But I still see a lot of helpful value on here. I recently posted some questions about VFR flying to Santa Barbara and I found everyone's feedback to be above and beyond helpful, and courteous, even had folks offering rides and beers!

What I think happens though sometimes is if the person asking the question kind of already has an answer then argues with the people lending their feedback that's when things go sour... or if their initial question just left too many low hanging fruit for the taking. Written text can be hard to interpret though, often times what's mean as a funny jab or sarcasm can be misinterpreted as an insult or an attack

There is a difference in:

Question from OP:"should I carry a little power through the flare to grease the landing"
Answer: "Not in a 172, but I have found that the Warrior seems to like it with full flaps and plenty of runway"
Response from OP: "thanks, I'm floating a lot so I'll try idle in the 172 at flare, I've always flown Warriors so got used to carrying power"
vs
Question from OP:"should I carry a little power through the flare to grease the landing"
Answer: "Not in a 172, but I have found that the Warrior seems to like it with full flaps and plenty of runway"
Response from OP: "that doesn't make any sense, just because it's a high wing that means ground effect is different, if anything you want more power in a 172 and not Warrior, I actually got in a fight with my CFI about this, but I still can't nail my landings"

I'm with Sac.... Start typing and say to myself "self, let's sleep and re-read this in the morning with a clear head before hitting submit"

That has cut way back on the number of emails and calls I get from MC.

In the little time I have been here I have seen a change on this forum. When I first joined I thought I might be a little helpful to those who have questions, but now I see too much bashing of others responses. Too much of you don't know squat because I know squat. And the usual few experts that want to show how much more knowledge they have and how little other responders have no knowledge. And the ones that know more about your business and tell you so but have no clue what so ever.

I don't see much of others being helpful anymore, not like one automotive forum I frequent. And when someone has a question, it is usually answered and if there is nothing more to be said, I move on.

So I don't post much about aviation, and I have typed, then deleted some responses because I just didn't care to give bait to those that are here to slam others.

I pretty much stay on here for the entertainment value now, and I have had a few good laughs lately.
Well I'd really like to help but you don't know squat. Of course I stand to pee so I don't squat either. Errr, umm. Oh look pretty colors!

That's unfortunate. I do notice the same that the automotive forums tend to be very civil and tame. But I still see a lot of helpful value on here. I recently posted some questions about VFR flying to Santa Barbara and I found everyone's feedback to be above and beyond helpful, and courteous, even had folks offering rides and beers!

What I think happens though sometimes is if the person asking the question kind of already has an answer then argues with the people lending their feedback that's when things go sour... or if their initial question just left too many low hanging fruit for the taking. Written text can be hard to interpret though, often times what's mean as a funny jab or sarcasm can be misinterpreted as an insult or an attack

There is a difference in:

Response from OP: "thanks, I'm floating a lot so I'll try idle in the 172 at flare, I've always flown Warriors so got used to carrying power"
vs
Response from OP: "that doesn't make any sense, just because it's a high wing that means ground effect is different, if anything you want more power in a 172 and not Warrior, I actually got in a fight with my CFI about this, but I still can't nail my landings"

Yes, sometimes written text can be miss-read and I understand that. I have had to re-read lines before I understood how it was meant. Just a few folks here seem to take pleasure in trying to demean others. You probably know which folks I mean.

I did see your thread about flying to Santa Barbara. I have not a single bit of knowledge of the area so I could not offer any help. I saw others that were very helpful, and was glad to see it worked out well.

Your examples are spot on...:)

I shut up much more than I did when I was younger. I have more friends now.

ALL the time... as I'm writing, I sometimes hear the voice of my Mother saying "Tim, there's a clutch between your mind and your mouth... use it". She's long gone, but those are powerful words.

Last edited:
Sometimes I start replying to a thing and realize it's likely to start an argument I'm too stubborn to walk away from. I then decide(sometimes) I've got better things to do and just don't post it and let the other people be wrong about things.

I try to:
* be constructive and unambiguous
* refrain from being snarky
* avoid being baited by "someone is wrong on the internet"
* not answer questions that have already been answered

; the end result is not posting much.

Last edited:
I post when it's in my small realm of knowledge. I wouldn't post something in the maintenance or aerobatic sub forum because I don't have anything useful or enlightened to say.

Just a few folks here seem to take pleasure in trying to demean others. You probably know which folks I mean.
Yup... I don't know if they know they are coming across like that, or they enjoy projecting that kind of persona on line. I suspect the latter.

I try to avoid giving unsolicited advice. For example, when someone comes on the boards asking how to get a loan for an airplane, others jump on them with a fiscal responsibility lecture.

I try to avoid giving unsolicited advice. For example, when someone comes on the boards asking how to get a loan for an airplane, others jump on them with a fiscal responsibility lecture.
I think that's part of a "I can't really answer the question but want to look smart" approach

Just a few folks here seem to take pleasure in trying to demean others.
When threads feel like they're starting to going sour, or when it's mostly inside stuff with folks that have been here years I'll post less or not at all

I try to be funny.....and it never really works. So then I go back into the corner of the internet and watch from my safe place.

DUDE, stop that! I try to be funny and it fails miserably all the time, I don't give a PHJUCK (the J is silent). if it makes me laugh (strange things make me laugh) then phjuckit. I'd rather see a lame attempt at humor than saying something and having to reference 6er all the time to see if he thinks it's funny. if U think it's funny, go for it! just for shiznits and giggles, go thru a few threads and see how many times people say something and then say "that's funny, right 6pc? right?" fuhgedaboudit, if U think it's funny it either is, or it isn't but it opens up a chance for us to bust your cajones, which is equally as fun.

right @SixPapaCharlie ? right? ;)

Back