Daily Pic

I know how you feel. These older airplane's demand more attention than an insecure high school girlfriend...

No joke... Every time I think I have all the gremlin kill off a new one rears it's ugly head...:sigh:

I MADE IT TO THE END OF THIS THREAD!! (It took years - seriously!)

Not as good as some of the posts here - but here's a few..

19875538_1606147312737352_7348652171718866537_n.jpg Screen Shot 2017-07-01 at 9.17.35 AM.png

No joke... Every time I think I have all the gremlin kill off a new one rears it's ugly head...:sigh:

Same story. Just the latest. Was on a flight from KDIK to KGPI last Friday afternoon when the autopilot circuit breaker tripped. Reset tripped again,immediately. From my post-flight diagnostics looks like the aileron servo is the problem. I am imagining many AMUs. :mad2:

Every time I think I have every system working nicely something else...

Last edited:
2017 SR22

5OekYZH.jpg

uhfiZ1v.jpg

Good lord that thing is bright. Well between the chute and the color, the SAR folks won't have any trouble spotting it... LOL! ;)

Good lord that thing is bright. Well between the chute and the color, the SAR folks won't have any trouble spotting it... LOL! ;)

I Never could understand why most airplanes in Alaska are white..

One guy that had his own plane painted the wingtips and tail feathers florescent safety orange just for that reason.

Are those Beechcraft approved binder clips? $$$

The previous owner installed them- cheaper that way.

I'll have to ask what they were used for. I'm guessing to hold back the curtains.

Passing a Singaporean A380.

IMGP0797.JPG

Last edited:
Picked-up quite a bit of ice during descend. Parked at one of London's aerodromes as the English call them.

IMGP0798.JPG

Last edited:
Cruising along.

123.jpg

Last edited:
I Never could understand why most airplanes in Alaska are white.

In the 1970s Cessna offered optional "Alaska" paint schemes, that reversed the standard white base and trim colors.

cessna_150l_1974_alaska.jpg

cessna_172m_1974_alaska.jpg

One guy that had his own plane painted the wingtips and tail feathers florescent safety orange just for that reason.

In the late 1950s the Defense Department tried to get FAA to require all airplanes to have dayglow orange on the wingtips and tail. A few got that treatment, but that dayglow paint faded very quickly and looked awful. I believe Sweden requires at least small patches of red or orange, if not already part of the color scheme.

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 8.46.02 AM.jpeg

Screen Shot 2017-07-19 at 8.46.36 AM.jpeg

I MADE IT TO THE END OF THIS THREAD!! (It took years - seriously!)

Not as good as some of the posts here - but here's a few..

Shouldn't you be at the hangar polishing rather than flying? :D

That's frequently how I felt with my Swift!

View attachment 54911

"Oh God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small ... "
Which is why I don't believe in MMGW. That air-polluting plane would take a million years to spew enough CO2 to equal the water vapor (greenhouse gas) in that single thunderhead. Yet the earth somehow manages about 45,000 of those big clouds every day. Nice pic.

dtuuri

Last edited:
The anvil signifies a thunderstorm in the mature stage right?

Aviators will say yes. Meteorologists will say "maybe". Usually the start of precipitation inside the storm is the severe weather folk's definition of mature. The water vapor can be lifted no higher without forming liquid water.

(And that liquid water may be held aloft by continuing updrafts. Which can lead with the right conditions to the formation of hail.)

But yes. Many storms (and the FAA definition) include an anvil top as a sign of maturity.

Things that can trick you with the anvil top definition:

Winds aloft can shear the top off of a developing cumulus stage storm and look a lot like an anvil top.

A temperature inversion that stops upward development prior to precipitation can also look like an anvil.

Many supercells look more like a mushroom cloud from a nuclear bomb than a traditional anvil.

Embedded lines of thunderstorms can be so close together or generally feeding off of each other and "disorganized" that you'll never spot an anvil. Lines usually come with the added "joy" of crappy visibility in between cells in the line anyway, so spotting which cells are mature and which are building and which ones are dissipating, may change literally in seconds anyway.

Lines of thunderstorms are often extremely deadly to aviators. People try to "pick their way through" and find themselves right where the next one is forming right behind the line between the other two they short themselves through.

Aviation simplifies it a bit since an anvil top or anything looking like an anvil top is no bueno to be flying in or around.

A wide berth of all types is highly recommended. ;)

Aviators will say yes. Meteorologists will say "maybe". Usually the start of precipitation inside the storm is the severe weather folk's definition of mature. The water vapor can be lifted no higher without forming liquid water.

(And that liquid water may be held aloft by continuing updrafts. Which can lead with the right conditions to the formation of hail.)

But yes. Many storms (and the FAA definition) include an anvil top as a sign of maturity.

Things that can trick you with the anvil top definition:

Winds aloft can shear the top off of a developing cumulus stage storm and look a lot like an anvil top.

A temperature inversion that stops upward development prior to precipitation can also look like an anvil.

Many supercells look more like a mushroom cloud from a nuclear bomb than a traditional anvil.

Embedded lines of thunderstorms can be so close together or generally feeding off of each other and "disorganized" that you'll never spot an anvil. Lines usually come with the added "joy" of crappy visibility in between cells in the line anyway, so spotting which cells are mature and which are building and which ones are dissipating, may change literally in seconds anyway.

Lines of thunderstorms are often extremely deadly to aviators. People try to "pick their way through" and find themselves right where the next one is forming right behind the line between the other two they short themselves through.

Aviation simplifies it a bit since an anvil top or anything looking like an anvil top is no bueno to be flying in or around.

A wide berth of all types is highly recommended. ;)

I'm always amazed to see the airlines flying in and out of Phoenix here during monsoon season...the clouds around here are insane during monsoon weather. I find myself gazing at the clouds a lot more now that I am a pilot...amazing how massive and powerful some of those clouds are.

I'm always amazed to see the airlines flying in and out of Phoenix here during monsoon season...the clouds around here are insane during monsoon weather. I find myself gazing at the clouds a lot more now that I am a pilot...amazing how massive and powerful some of those clouds are.

I took off from Phoenix late one evening as thunderstorms were booming over the shelf. With radar and the help from ATC I was able to work through them and get back home. Not for the faint of heart though....

Do not peek behind the curtain.

6E5781F9-8560-4971-8D6D-0E701D5C5F74.JPG

Even today wasn't so bad at KPHX; yet airline pilots were whining (I kid) about wind shear on approach at 500 AGL. A couple of 'em went around when their approaches got destabilized.

Back