Daily Pic

Plane watching equipment
  • Leopold
  • Radio
  • Tailgate to stand on
IMG_9692.JPG

Finally lived another one of my dreams!!! In celebration of my 31st career anniversary (still too young to retire) with the Port Authority of NY/NJ (electrical field), we spent a week in AZ last month and I convinced my loving wife that we couldn't go back home without doing it. She was a little reluctant, but agreed:). What an incredible experience. Words cannot begin to describe how amazing this was. We had an awesome pilot. Took plenty of pictures and video! I didn't realize how roomy this thing is. Three passenger seats in the front and four in the back. Two young ladies were in the front with our pilot. My wife, son and I were in the back along with another guy.
DSCN2977.JPG DSCN2981.JPG DSCN2983.JPG DSCN2985.JPG DSCN2986.JPGDSCN3003.JPG

Last edited:
I took this at an EAA Fly-In yesterday, and took the liberty of getting just a little "artsy" with it:

33985837213_2c675e17cc_c.jpg

Pleased with the way it turned out.

Note: Used an iPhone/iPad app called Prisma, which is free and quite impressive.

Mineral Canyon, UT75.

Hmmm. How hard was it to get permission to fly in there? Airport info says "Airport use for permit holder only." Sure looks purty tho!

The San Rafael Reef just a bit west of there is probably my favorite geographic formation to look at, either from the air or the ground. Pretty impressive.

Hmmm. How hard was it to get permission to fly in there? Airport info says "Airport use for permit holder only." Sure looks purty tho!

The San Rafael Reef just a bit west of there is probably my favorite geographic formation to look at, either from the air or the ground. Pretty impressive.
Capitol Reef is wonderful. In Canyonlands National Park I really like Upheaval Dome. It stands out against all the other lines of rock.

That info on permits for Mineral Bottom is not completely accurate. I've heard a couple stories on the history of the strip that lead to that statement about needing permits but I think final factor is if you are operating commercially out of UT75, you need a permit. I don't have explicit permission to land there but I believe my employer does hold a commercial permit for that strip.

Capitol Reef is wonderful.

Capitol Reef is probably one of the most underrated National Parks, and shouldn't be. Awesome scenery, and great history there. Also because it's well off the beaten path (Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon) its often a lot quieter than the others in the desert southwest.

Of course, out that a'way there's always boondocking on BLM land too, but if you have to have the creature comforts of a Parks System park, Capitol Reef is great.

The old one room schoolhouse and the orchard next to it, is fascinating. Operating way into what we'd all think were "modern" times before it closed.

IMG_0991.JPG

I would LOVE to have this address, This is next to the Piper Warehouse in Vero Beach FL!!

IMG_0994 (1).JPG

20170526_170408.jpg
House Airplane.jpg

Pretty Cool to have your airplane next to your house on the front lawn.

Grass strip.jpg

Got some grass strip time at 48X with a taildragger, fun stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_0991.JPG
    IMG_0991.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 23
Redtail, awesome pictures of the grand canyon. Pictures never do it justice and it is the one place that I've seen where it doesn't seem possible to build it up too much. No matter how great you think it will be, being there is even better.

Been in that situation and I definitely try and not make it a frequent occurrence.

This was a hired ride into the mountains NE of Boise, a C-206 at dusk. We got down to 300' and, well, zero vis for a brief moment.
It got really bad after this pic, and ended in a classic low level canyon turn. We did not make our destination; we set down on a 1200' grass/gravel strip in pouring rain with a huge herd of elk crossing, found some hunt cabins (with zero conveniences) while pilot punched the OK button on his Spot tracker (and the signal never actually got out, we learned the next day - lots of anxious people in the morning)

Wandered into the hangar attached to my office to see what expensive aluminum and plastic was hanging out there this afternoon. A few somewhat rare examples, at least around here. A piston diesel Diamond twin, a Cessna 303 Crusader and a custom built turbine Legend with a Garrett TPE331-10 engine (and reputed to be the fastest single engine turboprop in the world, with a top speed in excess of 400 kts). Feeling sorry for itself in such rare and exhalted company is a Cherokee 6 in original '70s paint blocking the door.

IMG_0257.JPG

Saw this today in an Air Force update daily email I get.

B1.jpg

Lightning strikes behind a B-1B Lancer parked on the flight line as a major storm approaches Tinker AFB, Okla., May 18, 2017. The B-1B is at Tinker undergoing depot level maintenance and has been stripped of the majority of its paint. (Air Force photo by Greg L. Davis.)

Wandered into the hangar attached to my office to see what expensive aluminum and plastic was hanging out there this afternoon. A few somewhat rare examples, at least around here. A piston diesel Diamond twin, a Cessna 303 Crusader and a custom built turbine Legend with a Garrett TPE331-10 engine (and reputed to be the fastest single engine turboprop in the world, with a top speed in excess of 400 kts). Feeling sorry for itself in such rare and exhalted company is a Cherokee 6 in original '70s paint blocking the door.

View attachment 53947
I'm pretty sure Mike Patey's Lancair is the fastest SETP

I'm pretty sure Mike Patey's Lancair is the fastest SETP

I believe you may be correct.

The Legend in my photograph is owned and flown by Marty Abbott, who uses it regularly for long distance trips (he had it out on the apron getting ready for a trip this morning when I went by his hangar). It finished second to Patey's Lancair in last year's Airventure Cup race. Nobody else was close to the two front runners.

Heres a link to the results:
http://www.airventurecuprace.com/racers/race-results/2016-race-results/

Last edited:
Not a flying picture but it sums up a good part of why I fly. This young moose visited this morning. Maybe because of all the bear tracks on the bank. (Water's low. You can't see the creek about 15' past the moose.)IMG_3619.JPG Cabin life is good.

"Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
Out of the corner of my watering eye" :)

Attachments

• IMG_6790.JPG
    IMG_6790.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 56
Back