Daily Pic

What is this beast?? A mega-mooney?

6PVCT5fh.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

Didn't have much time to look it up today with work and all but I sure noticed it as I turned the corner!

Calling @Pilawt to the white courtesy phone? He's usually way into this kind of thing

Calling @Pilawt to the white courtesy phone? He's usually way into this kind of thing

Indeed it is a Mooney Mark 22 "Mustang"

Mooney president Hal Rachal was quoted in an article by Flying magazine staff writer Richard Bach in December 1964:

"Within 24 months after the first Mark 22 comes off the production line, within 24 months after the weight-and-balance of the first production Mark 22, in my opinion, production of the Beechcraft Bonanza, S-35 or whatever name they want to give it, production will cease."

About thirty Mark 22 Mustangs were ultimately built. Their competitive pressure has no doubt limited Bonanza production to only 9,000 units or so since 1964. ;)

Development of the unsuccessful Mark 22 was a huge financial drain on Mooney. On top of that, Cavalier, which was then marketing updated P-51's, obtained a court order to prevent Mooney from using the Mustang name.

It was a wild time in the GA industry!

Last edited:
Saw a M22 in Modesto, CA back in the 1970s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks to some unusually warm weather for February, I was able to log some actual instrument time! Had to be in state college for a seminar today, and the weather seemed like it was going to work out. Bases were all about 2,000 agl so we were only in the clouds for cruise.
Only a 35 minute flight (as opposed to a 2+hr drive) but The way up pretty much sucked. Turbulance and Instrument conditions pretty much the whole way up.
The way back was amazing though. Basically skimmed through the top of the clouds after climbing through a layer.
I had just flown some practice approaches the other week, but haven't been in actual conditions for about a year. Plus it was my first time having passengers in actual conditions for as long as we were. Everyone was fine with it though. My sister in law (her first time flying with me) took this photo.
81fb5f8ea1692c02393cc5b7f55669fa.jpg

Beautiful sunrise flight up to RUT (south of Killington). We had to get a pop up IFR and shoot the approach because of some clouds. Got some decent ice in the descent but the TKS took care of it. My studen is renting an SR22T for now until he takes delivery of his G6 SR22 in March.

IMG_0309_zpsf8kohjvd.jpg

IMG_0310_zpsnxtvlhri.jpg

Last edited:
Posted this in the pilots in training thread, but just found my way over here. Left KCEU and flying over the home of the 2016 NCAA National Champions :D

16473529_10158155263640425_7772634509030441494_n.jpg

Last edited:
Not a great photo but the content is good. Decided to air-commute to work yesterday. Sure was a good way to start and end the day.

Hopefully this qualifies. A bit of back story: last spring we had high pressure over the entire eastern part of the country so I flew to Manassas, VA. to visit family. Several months later I was doing the Google maps thing and drilled into Manassas. Imagine my surprise as I zoomed further and further in:
mannasas.JPG
I thought that seems familiar, so I got my phone out and found this pic:
IMG_4138.JPG
Had I been just a yard to the right and out of the shade of the building I would have been visible taking the photo.

Headed to KANP for some spin training today (more details in my 'to Commercial and beyond' thread in the pilot training section) and my first taste of tail wheel in the all-mighty Pitts.
6309fcd7cbadb10849e095fc06386515.jpg

A picture of the Bay on the way back home.
0abbd81786b7cd762cfbe15c8355c79c.jpg

Also got to take my grandfather up yesterday for a sightseeing flight. Wednesday of last week a field caught fire so I got him to snap a picture of it. Interesting to see the path the burn took!
e00c99992818f6654f256f98f5997ac2.jpg

Headed to KANP for some spin training today (more details in my 'to Commercial and beyond' thread in the pilot training section) and my first taste of tail wheel in the all-mighty Pitts.
6309fcd7cbadb10849e095fc06386515.jpg

A picture of the Bay on the way back home.
0abbd81786b7cd762cfbe15c8355c79c.jpg

Also got to take my grandfather up yesterday for a sightseeing flight. Wednesday of last week a field caught fire so I got him to snap a picture of it. Interesting to see the path the burn took!
e00c99992818f6654f256f98f5997ac2.jpg
Beautiful S-2C! That short wheel base makes for some squirrelly handling characteristics. Bet it was a fun flight!

Beautiful S-2C! That short wheel base makes for some squirrelly handling characteristics. Bet it was a fun flight!
I was just following him on the controls for the take off and landing, but the landing was definitely a weird experience with a cross wind and a none-too-smooth runway (has a little bit of a bump at one part). Bill is a fantastic pilot though and made it seem like a walk in the park!
I can't wait to go back and get more training from him!

I was just following him on the controls for the take off and landing, but the landing was definitely a weird experience with a cross wind and a none-too-smooth runway (has a little bit of a bump at one part). Bill is a fantastic pilot though and made it seem like a walk in the park!
I can't wait to go back and get more training from him!
Sounds like fun! TW airplanes require a bit more finesse during a crosswind landing vs. that of a tricycle geared, especially if you're doing a wheel landing. The shorter the wheel base the more squirrelly they can get such as the Pitts or a Christen Eagle. The Cub, Citabria, and Super D have a bit longer wheel base which makes them have more docile handling. Much fun!

Me hauling a load of jumpers a couple weeks ago

Attachments

• IMG_6064.JPG
    IMG_6064.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 78
Haven't gotten much airtime lately being too busy, just came back from exploring Asia. Was in the big iron.

20170217_141237.jpg 20170217_142355.jpg

Mt Baker

Back