Daily Pic

Apparently obligatory Monument Valley shot:

5401139098_1c6a1ea49f_z.jpg

Yesterday we flew up to St Paul to spend the day with our daughter, she a student at the University of MN. We land at KSTP, usually slipping in under bravo, this time ATC routed us direct, which takes us right over MSP. Pretty cool going right over the top of a major airport.

Attachments

• msp.jpg
    msp.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 88
Show and tell at the airport. Did not get pictures of the Quest Kodiak, TBM 930, Mustang 2, or Dassualt Falcon.

EMB Legacy 500
7bfe7e2621f2c2aa2b02247a438051e6.jpg

f7c4f966f02639234f2b8670538a21ac.jpg

7531a49fd1057529954db7f763990174.jpg

9be0aa0313ba877f250cf74d0b53ddbb.jpg

This is a strange little bird.
d72e9f0aa17ac99c675ea6467ca54899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like a CTLS

Indeed it is. First one I've seen in person. Noticed a few things not like other aircraft I've flown: handbrake, negative flap position (just like TBMs), fuel "gauge" is a plastic tube with a line drawn in Sharpie (not sure if was marking full or empty), but the strangest part was the trim tab on the stabilator was just notched out of the carbon/plastic and not hinged.

So...I'm down the basement minding my own business...and my wife starts hollering and carrying on upstairs. Being the dutiful husband and curious sort, I went up to see what was up.
These guys were doing touch and goes, and I took this off the back porch :)
IMG_5085.JPG

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 43
So...I'm down the basement minding my own business...and my wife starts hollering and carrying on upstairs. Being the dutiful husband and curious sort, I went up to see what was up.
View attachment 52952

Jim

"Cleared short approach. Please do it or we'll be here all day..."

We flew to Michigan's Upper Peninsula last Saturday. Blue skies, sun and great visibility all the way from Detroit to Iron Mountain. :)

Island in Higgins Lake:

rps20170424_183937.jpg

Looking back at Grand Traverse Bay and Torch Lake:

rps20170424_183558.jpg

North Fox Island and South Fox Island:

rps20170424_183523.jpg

Can anyone identify this one from this crappy phone pic:

upload_2017-4-26_16-2-49.png
Looked black, it was doing touch and go's today, I couldn't make out any military markings. When they taxied there were two separate canopies that they popped up.

Thanks

I love it when they make a high speed pass.
View attachment 52952

Jim

P4300461_HDR_zpsg2ifypmb.jpeg

From a 2006 newspaper article about plans to restore the aircraft — which never happened:

The plane, with the FAA registration number of N777EA, has been parked at Phoenix Goodyear Airport for literally decades. [...]

The aircraft has a distinctive lineage. For one, it was the last DC-7C to roll off the Douglas assembly line, in 1958, Evan said.

"They went back and made some DC-6's after that, but this is the last 7 ever made," Evan said.

The aircraft originally was operated as a commercial airliner by KLM. Then, in the early 1960s, the plane was converted to accommodate corporate executives.

The interior of the aircraft is complete with plush Naugahyde-upholstered chairs placed diagonally along the aisle to create a more luxurious space that invited conversation among the passengers.

The aircraft also has the requisite movie projector and screen, but instead of headphones, speakers with individual volume controls are placed throughout.

The DC-7's last owner before the Moseley brothers was an international mogul whose real estate empire was documented on a map with a small light bulb placed at every location the man had an office.

The most famous user, though, was then-first lady Lady Bird Johnson, who used the aircraft for a number of months while on her campaign to beautify the United States. The Lyndon B. Johnson Presidential Library confirmed recently that the aircraft was indeed used extensively by Lady Bird.

IMG_9495.JPG Forgot I had these, I have a bunch of pictures and videos of helicopters that I ride when I go offshore.

It's also kinda sucks because I have to stand 1 foot from a turbine with no ear protection several times a day. I always bring my own ear protection now.

Back