CPL privileges

eng4ksa

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
eng4ksa
I'm about to have checkride soon and I was thinking about this question in my mind. I'm now having a third class medical certificate for training purposes( it was first but changed to third after one year) If I got the CPL and one of my friends ask me to fly him ( lets say from Miami to Orlando ) for maybe $500, Can I fly him?
I was thinking that I can not because it would be a common carriage from place to place and there is a compensation. Should it be pro rata share? And how about the medical? If I'm having a third class and the requirement is second at least!

Someone about to assume the privileges and limitations of a certificate should know what they are. I hope your DPE drills you hard on this area.

Someone about to assume the privileges and limitations of a certificate should know what they are. I hope your DPE drills you hard on this area.

Another example of sub par training that is out there today.

Again, a first class medical DOES NOT change to any other class. It is always a first class. However, it can only be used for operations requiring a lower class after time.

You mean they DON'T have magic ink that changes the number on the paper at the six month and one year marks? ;)

I don't think that's fair to someone who is asking the question, especially "in this area." The "commercial pilot" level of knowledge is fairly surface. I can probably "drill" the typical DPE hard enough in this area to get quite a few wrong answers.

I just have a private pilot certificate, yet even I know that the question as asked cannot really be answered without at least knowing who owns or is providing the aircraft. If it is the friend of the OP versus the OP, the answer would not be the same. Also there would be other considerations regarding the inspection status of the aircraft if the OP was providing the aircraft. A commercial pilot should at least know that these considerations exist and where to find them even if unable to precisely quote chapter and verse.

I will cut him some slack though on thinking that his first class medical became a third class as that is a popular misconception based upon what operations it can be used for afterwards. Still, he should know that as well.

I'm not sure this was covered in my commercial pilot training. I learned much of what I know about it from online forums.

I just have a private pilot certificate, yet even I know that the question as asked cannot really be answered without at least knowing who owns or is providing the aircraft. If it is the friend of the OP versus the OP, the answer would not be the same. Also there would be other considerations regarding the inspection status of the aircraft if the OP was providing the aircraft. A commercial pilot should at least know that these considerations exist and where to find them even if unable to precisely quote chapter and verse.

I will cut him some slack though on thinking that his first class medical became a third class as that is a popular misconception based upon what operations it can be used for afterwards. Still, he should know that as well.
You are correct on the analysis and that a commercial pilot should know those considerations exist. That's very different than a "drill down" application to anything more than the simplest scenarios.

Take the "pro rata share" variation to the @eng4ksa's question. I'd bet there are plenty of pilots out there who think, assuming the only reason for the flight is to transport the friend, cost sharing would cover it.

I don't think that's fair to someone who is asking the question, especially "in this area." The "commercial pilot" level of knowledge is fairly surface. I can probably "drill" the typical DPE hard enough in this area to get quite a few wrong answers.

Sorry, I have seen too many stupid questions on this forum about stuff that should be covered in training. This for example should have been covered by his CFI. I'm not blaming the student. I am blaming CFIs that for the most part want to get the hours and go. I see it here as well as around the airport. I understand the CFIs want to get to the airlines, but while you are building those hours. Do your damn job and teach the students properly.

Another perfect example of lazy incompetent instructing, a CFI at my airport has a had a few students that he just spends time in the pattern before even covering the basics of slow flight, stalls. This guy tells me he doesn't teach slow flight below 60 kts in a 172. Well that's is required in the ACS, very specific.

I will have to say that instructors are getting lazy, and students want the license but don't want to put full effort into studying.

Sorry, I have seen too many stupid questions on this forum about stuff that should be covered in training. This for example should have been covered by his CFI. I'm not blaming the student. I am blaming CFIs that for the most part want to get the hours and go. I see it here as well as around the airport. I understand the CFIs want to get to the airlines, but while you are building those hours. Do your damn job and teach the students properly.

Another perfect example of lazy incompetent instructing, a CFI at my airport has a had a few students that he just spends time in the pattern before even covering the basics of slow flight, stalls. This guy tells me he doesn't teach slow flight below 60 kts in a 172. Well that's is required in the ACS, very specific.

I will have to say that instructors are getting lazy, and students want the license but don't want to put full effort into studying.
Likewise, at the CPL level not everything will be spoon fed to you. A little self initiative may be in order.
Trust me... when they get to the airlines they will be thrown to the wolves. Self study required, no snowflakes will pass.

It makes unwarranted assumptions.

It makes unwarranted assumptions.
Not really. Self study is required to pass, and those who want to be coddled will fall short.
I've seen it many times. It's unclear why that's even controversial.

How do you know that "snowflakes" want to be coddled?

So your definition of "snowflake" is someone who wants to be coddled?

And yes some of these students and pilots want everything spoon fed to them. They do not want to actually have to take time out of thier day to study on thier own. Whether it is PPL, CPL, ME, INST, even 135 or 121 jobs. I don't think Kritchlow or myself are say everyone. But there seems to be a growing population of those types. I don't know if you are a CFI or not. But when you have students that don't want to put the effort. It gets pretty old, and can create a hazardous environment. And on top of those students there are the instructors that are just as bad.

Gee. Throwing lambs to the wolves and snowstorms! And all I saw in the OP's question was someone who had studied the material, and was looking for a little help in understanding it and applying it to a scenario.

Last edited:
I'm about to have checkride soon and I was thinking about this question in my mind. I'm now having a third class medical certificate for training purposes( it was first but changed to third after one year) If I got the CPL and one of my friends ask me to fly him ( lets say from Miami to Orlando ) for maybe $500, Can I fly him?
I was thinking that I can not because it would be a common carriage from place to place and there is a compensation. Should it be pro rata share? And how about the medical? If I'm having a third class and the requirement is second at least!

Don't know how valid this is, but check out the PDF here: http://www.niceairaviation.com/Documents/Commercial Operation.pdf.

Gives you a general flow chart way of determining what category a flight falls into. But yeah I agree with the others, if you are about to hit a checkride you should know this stuff COLD. The DPE can and will try to trip you up with all kinds of scenarios..mine did.

If you have a CPL and a 3rd class medical you will only be able to exercise the privileges of a PPL. You'll need at least a 2nd class medical to exercise your CPL privileges.

If your friend owns the plane and wants to hire you for $500 to fly him in it, and you have a CPL and 2nd class medical, then this would be legal. If he doesn't own the plane, the only way he could pay someone to fly him somewhere is through a Part 135 charter operation.

If the two of you have a common purpose for the flight then he could pay you the pro-rata share and this can be done with a PPL and 3rd class medical (or possibly BasicMed).

That's my understanding of the rules and if I'm mistaken then I'm sure someone here will come along to correct me.

This particular area of the commercial ticket, gets more confusing before it gets clearer. There are lots of gray areas. If the examiner throws you a tough one, just tell him the rule in a simple form and let him know that if that were to come up you would contact the fsbo. Telling him you know how to, and would contact the correct authority when something isn't clear goes a long way. Anybody who thinks they know all the answers or expects someone to know all is a fool.
Whenever you are providing the plane and the pilot, and you aren't operating under part 135. The words hire, charter, air taxi, etc better not be used.
If anyone asks your friend what's going on the answer should default to something like.
"I'm flying with my friend to ...., and WE are going to do ....."

Personally when I have a friend that wants me to take them somewhere, I force self interest into the trip. It's a business deal? I want an opportunity to be in on it, going skiing I'm skiing too, going to Vegas? Tell your friend I am joining the party. Now that flight is for me and about me my friend is just tagging along.

If they say no, I can't join them, then the purpose of the flight is no longer about me, I'd just be providing a service for money. Can't do that

Last edited:

I'd agree with you if he was already a CPL, but the guy came on here as a CPL student and asked a valid question.

Again, a first class medical DOES NOT change to any other class. It is always a first class. However, it can only be used for operations requiring a lower class after time.

Oh for chits sakes.....

Yeah it's still a 1st but it can only be basically used as a 3rd after that year

Per the OP, with a 3rd class level medical, ether a straight up 3rd class or a 1st that's over a year old, you will only be able to use your CPL just the same as your PPL when it comes to for hire.

Guys, you are all so cute. You don't recognize the username?

220px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

Mods, care to reveal the true identity of this joker and close the user account?

Mods, care to reveal the true identity of this joker and close the user account?
I don't recognize the user name, but the haircut looks awefully familiar.
IMG_4650.PNG

Not sure who you think it is, but with my thick skin gotta troll a bit harder IMO

My username? What does it have to do with my question? If you know something, say it, otherwise, thanks!!!

If he supplies the plane, you are qualified to fly that plane, current to carry passengers, have a current flight review and a second-class medical, then he can pay you to fly him. However, if you supply the plane, you cannot (you would have to be an FAA-approved air taxi operation). As far a pro-rata sharing, sure you can do that...even as a private pilot.

Back