CPL privileges

I don't think that's fair to someone who is asking the question, especially "in this area." The "commercial pilot" level of knowledge is fairly surface. I can probably "drill" the typical DPE hard enough in this area to get quite a few wrong answers.

I'd pay money to watch that in person. LOL.

I'd pay money to watch that in person. LOL.
I wouldn't, it's likely not hard to do. In fact the average DPE probably has one or two questions to which the "correct" answer he's expecting from the applicant is actually wrong in certain cases. That happened to me on my instrument oral. Was asked about pre-flighting my CNX-80; the DPE expected verifying RAIM as one of the steps. My answer, on which I insisted: not routinely and not unless WAAS is not available. I think he was ready to fail me at that point, but my CFII was there and backed me up. This DPE clearly did a lot of checkrides where the plane had a Garmin 430 or similar (TSO C-129 or equivalent) GPS, but he was really clueless about WAAS.

Not sure how that would have worked out today, now that the CFII is no longer allowed to sit in on the oral. I was ready to bring out the AIM to prove my point, but I'm not sure he would have given me the chance.

Back