Concealed Handgun License

Tell that to Anthony Graber, a biker who recorded an off-duty cop w/ his helmet cam. The idiot cop pulled out his handgun to arrest Mr. Graber before identifying himself as a police officer and then charged him for recording him w/o his consent....all of which took place on a public highway.

This is right out of the docket for that case (12K10000647):

For the reasons stated by the court in the opinion of even date herewith, it is ordered this 27th day of September, 2010, as follows: 1. Defendant's Motion to dismiss Counts One, Two, Three and Seven of the indictment is granted; 2. Defendant's Motion to suppress evidence and Motion to compel particulars are denied as Moot.

Here is the full opinion.

http://www.aclu-md.org/aPress/Press2010/Court_Opinion_092710.pdf

He plead guilty to the reckless driving charge that stemmed from him engaging in a pursuit with a state police vehicle, the speeding and negligent driving charges were dropped as part of the deal.

Yes, it cost him money to get out of that prosecution, but given that this got settled at a prelimnary hearing, I would say that burden was not excessive.

Occasionally cops still try to charge citizens who record them, by now the district court commissioners dont even consider the charges and the arrestees get cut loose right away.

There are simply two sides to this, and neither will ever convince the other to see things their way.
Unless they use guns, or soldiers who have them to enforce it! Funny how it's usually those "against" guns (at least for civilians) that would have a strong military or police force take 'em away.

Ryan

Yes, it cost him money to get out of that prosecution, but given that this got settled at a prelimnary hearing, I would say that burden was not excessive.

You say that only because it was not YOU that had to pay the $ to have charges dropped THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN FILED. If it was coming out of your pocket I bet you'd have a different opinion.

You say that only because it was not YOU that had to pay the $ to have charges dropped THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN FILED. If it was coming out of your pocket I bet you'd have a different opinion.

Sometimes it costs money to make law through the courts or to establish the bounds of how a particular law is to be applied. btdt.

He is a knucklehead who popped a wheelie on I95 and then engaged in a pursuit with several police vehicles. Sometimes if you do dumb ####, there are consequences.

Sometimes it costs money to make law through the courts or to establish the bounds of how a particular law is to be applied. btdt.

He is a knucklehead who popped a wheelie on I95 and then engaged in a pursuit with several police vehicles. Sometimes if you do dumb ####, there are consequences.

He absolutely should be punished for the other stunts. But not for the helmet cam. Actually, I'm surprised the cop wasn't fired for pulling his weapon before identifying himself as a cop. This wasn't a situation that warranted a gun being pulled at all.

But as to your statement that it costs money to make or interpret laws....this round peg doesn't fit in that square hole. This wasn't a case of making or interpreting law. It was a bad case of the police/prosecutor pushing their limits when they should have known they were wrong to begin with. They were just sore that the guy caught the cop on camera acting like an idiot and wanted to push him around.

Occasionally cops still try to charge citizens who record them, by now the district court commissioners dont even consider the charges and the arrestees get cut loose right away.

True, but all too often, cameras and phones are being taken as "evidence" long enough to delete any recordings of the arresting officers.

He absolutely should be punished for the other stunts. But not for the helmet cam. Actually, I'm surprised the cop wasn't fired for pulling his weapon before identifying himself as a cop. This wasn't a situation that warranted a gun being pulled at all.

And he wasn't punished for the helmet cam. He was charged in retribution for making the idiot cop look like an idiot and managed to get the trumped up charges dismissed using the customary judiciary process.

There is just quite a gap between what actually happened and the 'look at this guy, he faces 16 years in prison for wearing a helmet cam' that usually makes it onto the interwebs.

Yes, usually armed x2.

Never used it but I have drawn it once. I was sitting at a red light when some dude started running down the line of cars pulling on door handles. Gun was drawn and pointed at the window he would have walked up to but the light changed and traffic started to move while he was still at the car ahead of me.

Some folks have no idea how close they've been to death...

Why not just lock the door?

Why not just lock the door?

It was, how am I to know he won't break the window if he gets in a hurry due to a green light? I wasn't going to kill him for pulling on my door but I also knew that if he did manage to start to get in I would be SOL if the gun wasn't already out

This site is geared more for women, and it has some great info on it. Many women are buying guns, getting training and carrying. It is a great equalizer.

http://corneredcat.com/

My wife has been shooting for about 20 years fewer than I and she gives me a run for my money in some of the shooting games we play.

She's getting a S&W 642 in her stocking this year.

No ccw permit yet as I intend to move to a different state first. As soon as it is practical, however, I intend to get my CCW permit and carry at all times. Right now the only pistol I own is less than ideal for concealed carry (Springfield armory 1911a1) in warmer climates, so I will be purchasing something more suitable soon.
Whether carrying or not, and whether it's a pistol or long arm, if you choose to keep something for defense, you are a fool to not practice with it regularly. I doubt anyone who legally carries would ever want to have to use their weapon, but things do happen, and if they do you better be familiar with your hardware, or you're the worst fool of all: an armed, out of practice fool.

No ccw permit yet as I intend to move to a different state first. As soon as it is practical, however, I intend to get my CCW permit and carry at all times. Right now the only pistol I own is less than ideal for concealed carry (Springfield armory 1911a1) in warmer climates, so I will be purchasing something more suitable soon.
Whether carrying or not, and whether it's a pistol or long arm, if you choose to keep something for defense, you are a fool to not practice with it regularly. I doubt anyone who legally carries would ever want to have to use their weapon, but things do happen, and if they do you better be familiar with your hardware, or you're the worst fool of all: an armed, out of practice fool.

Two friends carry springfield 1911s and my father and I carry high capacity Para USA derivatives. It's all in holster selection.

Two friends carry springfield 1911s and my father and I carry high capacity Para USA derivatives. It's all in holster selection.

I'd love to carry something like a glock 17 but they are just too big to conceal really well so I carry a ruger LC9. It's nice and thin and has a double action trigger so that it'd be a lot harder to go off accidentally.

Good thread. I carry every time I leave the house. Living in a rural area(Piedmont NC) there ain't much to worry about except coyotes, but, the big cities around here are a whole different matter. Just riding down the street can be trouble.
Haven't seen any info on handguns and concealed carry laws mentioned unless I just missed them.

Here are several sites with a lot of good info:

HandgunLaw.us

USACarry.com

ConcealedCarry.net

Noah W

I'd love to carry something like a glock 17 but they are just too big to conceal really well so I carry a ruger LC9. It's nice and thin and has a double action trigger so that it'd be a lot harder to go off accidentally.

How do you like the LC9? That is what my father-in-law recommended for me to check out, but nobody around here can seem to keep them in stock.

I would be interested in what holsters they use, however in such a warm state as Florida is, I'm thinking a smaller 1911 would better suit me for keeping it concealed. I have plenty of time to consider all options...

I would be interested in what holsters they use, however in such a warm state as Florida is, I'm thinking a smaller 1911 would better suit me for keeping it concealed. I have plenty of time to consider all options...
Take a look at the Sig P238 - it serves me well and is 1911-ish in operation.

Take a look at the Sig P238 - it serves me well and is 1911-ish in operation.
In mind so far are:
2 or 3" barreled 1911
khar k40
ruger lc9

I shot a friends duty gun which was a sig, but I am not familiar with their nomenclature...this was a 4 inch barrel 45acp.
Para makes a sweet LDA 45 as well, but I am thinking a fairly small frame such as those above would work best.

Oddly enough Texas is one of the more restrictive states about gun control. Kinda weird considering our reputation as gun nut hicks... You'd think we'd have rules similar to Montana or Wyoming, but no such luck. I have a chl and carry pretty much 24/7. Even before I had my chl I kept a gun in my truck at all times.

I used to know the regs, but off hand does anyone know what the FARs has to say about guns on board for part 91?

It (the FAR's) doesn't. Just don't taxi to the airline ramp. I carried a 380 in the flight bag. Never needed it. But always had it.

I'm on my fourth Texas CHL. 12 of the last 14 or so years I've been licensed and just got number 4 in the mail. Always had it in the vehicle. Just recently started packing. I actually can conceal a full size Glock on my person but am planning to purchase a compact Glock for even better concealment.

I've had it out for cause once. A hit and run guy didn't like me taking down his license plate info and he got out of his truck and got stoooooopid. I had it out and in my lap as I sat in my truck. Couldn't evade. Closer he got, the higher it got raised. In between his cussing and clenched fists he realized he was about two steps away from punching his own ticket. He got smart and backed off. He ended up in jail and the cop shook my hand. There is a lot more detail, but the cliff notes version should suffice. Prior to being a CHL I'd been robbed twice, and burglarized twice at different times in my life.

I just got a new IWB holster from Crossbreed holsters (www.crossbreedholsters.com) and it really seems to be comfortable. I typically carry a compact 1911 (imagine that :rolleyes:) which is presently the prototype for our Ms. Sentinel in 9mm. This holster is somewhat unconventional looking, but seems to keep the gun in tight enough on me (having a relatively smallish frame) that I could wear a sweatshirt and be concealed. The holster itself is also not so thick that it is uncomfortable in reasonable fitting pants. A friend of mine suggested it and said that if you wear it for a couple of weeks, it will really mold to your body and you'll never know you have it on. I think this may be my new favorite holster for wintertime when I'm wearing more layers. My hubby is also trying one with a CQB Compact and he seems to like it as well, so I guess it's not too gender specific.

Just my 2 cents :wink2: ( I probably have more holsters than most)

I just got a new IWB holster from Crossbreed holsters (www.crossbreedholsters.com) and it really seems to be comfortable. I typically carry a compact 1911 (imagine that :rolleyes:) which is presently the prototype for our Ms. Sentinel in 9mm. This holster is somewhat unconventional looking, but seems to keep the gun in tight enough on me (having a relatively smallish frame) that I could wear a sweatshirt and be concealed. The holster itself is also not so thick that it is uncomfortable in reasonable fitting pants. A friend of mine suggested it and said that if you wear it for a couple of weeks, it will really mold to your body and you'll never know you have it on. I think this may be my new favorite holster for wintertime when I'm wearing more layers. My hubby is also trying one with a CQB Compact and he seems to like it as well, so I guess it's not too gender specific.

I have used a Crossbreed and it's a great holster. I just want to throw another one out there. The comp-tac holsters (www.comp-tac.com) are very similar to the Crossbreeds (not sure who came first, one of those two or another brand). They are VERY comfortable. Don't let the large size of the crossbreed or comptacs fool you, they work very well! Wear them all day with minimal fatigue.

My question, as well. My Bersa Thunder 380 CC fits in the pocket of my slacks just fine, but I'm still looking for something that would work with the 1911.

My son has a Crossbreed for both his 380 and his .45 (not a 1911). Not sure that he ever carries, either. I know he doesn't at work (same place I work and firearms on company property are prohibited - resistance free zone). I think his CPL (concealed pistol license in Washington state) is for much the same reason as I posted a while back. Convenience when purchasing and less chance of getting hassled when transporting in a car without a trunck (my Jeep).

Stoner holsters.

I have a Para night hawg, 10+1 45acp in a tiny litte package!

Local story:

A teen and his younger sister are home alone when 3 people smash the door and break in to their house. They hole up in a room with a shotgun and the sister calls 911. One of the intruders comes around the corner and is shot. He later dies. The others leave. While on the phone, the dispatcher keeps telling the kid not to shoot, deputies are on the way. He says "ma'am, I got one more in the chamber. If someone else comes around the corner, I'm shooting"

Good boy. No charges were filed against him and the two surviving intruders are charged with felony breaking and entering.

This is exactly how I would handle such a situation.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/10553140/

Local story:

A teen and his younger sister are home alone when 3 people smash the door and break in to their house. They hole up in a room with a shotgun and the sister calls 911. One of the intruders comes around the corner and is shot. He later dies. The others leave. While on the phone, the dispatcher keeps telling the kid not to shoot, deputies are on the way. He says "ma'am, I got one more in the chamber. If someone else comes around the corner, I'm shooting"

Good boy. No charges were filed against him and the two surviving intruders are charged with felony breaking and entering.

Strong work !

Also illustrates a point I have made before, that most of the time a gun is used to stop a home invasion, it is either a six-shooter or a shotgun.

Local story:

Don't try that in England.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)

Local story:

Huh, does their state not have a felony murder statute? In a case like that if I were the prosecutor I'd sure use it.

Felony murder charges on the 11 year old girl who defended herself against the armed intruders?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Felony murder charges on the 11 year old girl who defended herself against the armed intruders?

No, against the other burglars.

In some states, if you commit a felony 'and someone dies', you can be charged with 'felony murder'. Doesn't matter who dies and at whose hands.

Last edited:
Oh ok, whew......thought someone was going anti there for a second.

It was a 14 year old boy and his 17 year old sis. The boy shot the intruder

I am pretty sure we don't have that here.

NC has a felony murder statute, case law may not allow it to be used that way if the person killed is not the victim of the crime.

Back