Concealed Handgun License

Liberal friend: why do you carry a gun?
Me: why do you have a spare tire in your car?
Friend: Well, in case I get a flat and need to change a tire.
Me: that is why I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I was thinking the other day, I have driven over 400,000 miles (two truck to 200k) and have exactly 3 flat tires. All of them were in the middle of no where, at night, and no cell service. I was sure glad I had the spare.

The moral of the story is that it is better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

It boils down to a personal choice, but because you don't feel comfortable carrying a firearm, you have no right to tell me I can't.

I'm guessing she is someone who supports strict gun control laws, based on the naive theory "why does anyone need a gun when we have the police to protect us".

I've gotten in more than a few discussions with friends who believe that guns are bad and should be illegal... ALWAYS I hear this argument.

Sorry but the cops are there to investigate crimes and bring perps to justice... AFTER they are committed. The consequences of the police and jail after a crime is the only way the police can effectively prevent crime. If the cops are a block away, and happen to save you from a violent criminal in your home, that's pure luck.

I've posted this quote before, and I'll do it again.

"When seconds count, the police are minutes away."

I don't belong to NRA because I do not believe that every one should own any gun they want. I do hunt and own guns, but I see no reason that any one should be able to buy a .50 cal snipper rifle. or a fully auto anything.
I do believe the police should have a full USA data base of all known felons, and that should be in the cars they use. All gun sales should have that also.

and NRA should have a full force education program for all teachers and news media.

If the corn growers can have congress in their pockets why can't the gun owners.

I don't belong to NRA because I do not believe that every one should own any gun they want. I do hunt and own guns, but I see no reason that any one should be able to buy a .50 cal snipper rifle. or a fully auto anything.
I do believe the police should have a full USA data base of all known felons, and that should be in the cars they use. All gun sales should have that also.

and NRA should have a full force education program for all teachers and news media.

If the corn growers can have congress in their pockets why can't the gun owners.
I'm sure some of those folks who shoot .50 cal rifles long range and enjoy it as a hobby feel as though you shouldn't be able to fly around in a small airplane. I mean, you could crash that thing into an airliner and kill 300 people! It'd be pretty hard to kill 300 people with one 50 cal rifle.

I really don't see why anyone feels the need to restrict the rights/hobbies of another group. It's a very slippery slope.

I'm sure some of those folks who shoot .50 cal rifles long range and enjoy it as a hobby feel as though you shouldn't be able to fly around in a small airplane. I mean, you could crash that thing into an airliner and kill 300 people! It'd be pretty hard to kill 300 people with one 50 cal rifle.

I really don't see why anyone feels the need to restrict the rights/hobbies of another group. It's a very slippery slope.

Very well said!

Tom and Paul you are both dead wrong. Once you start on the slippery slope of trying to regulate what kinds of weapons people can own it gets really easy to trim that list down. Why should I as a law abiding citizen not be allowed to own a .50 caliber rifle? Also, what is the difference between a "sniper" rifle and a regular rifle?

My ex-Father in law was like that. Avid hunter, but saw no reason fro people to have semi-auto rifles that cosmetically resembled a military style firearm.

Maybe it's an age thing? :D

Sorry Tom.

My ex-Father in law was like that. Avid hunter, but saw no reason fro people to have semi-auto rifles that cosmetically resembled a military style firearm.

Maybe it's an age thing? :D

Sorry Tom. The Second Amendment ain't about hunting.

Slippery slope indeed, and I have trouble with the balance, myself. I do see the need to restrict the types of weapons civilians can own but I think that the laws are too restrictive right now.

1. I've got no problem with firearms enthusiasts owning a .50 cal. I'd love to have one myself. I'm just glad it's still legal at this point.

2. I've got no problem with people owning fully-auto firearms. I think the ban on post-1986 auto firearms is just wrong. How does it make sense to let me own one made in 1985 but not one made in 1987?

3. Suppressors requiring the $200 tax stamp? That's not right. "you have the right to own one, but only if you pay through the nose"? We either have the right, or we don't. The $200 tax just isn't right.

But common sense does tell you that there has to be a line somewhere. We can't have people with grenades and RPGs, etc. My stance on weapons limitations is a lot like my stance on the death penalty - I know we need it but I don't trust the government to be in charge of it.

IIRC, you have a .50 cal muzzle stuffer, right? How confident are you that our esteemed representatives in Washington (DC) would write legislation to restrict .50 cal "sniper" rifles and not broad brush it to include your and my black powder weapons? My confidence level? Not so much. Remember - they get to define (or probably more appropriately NOT DEFINE) the terms. "Looks like a sniper rifle - it's evil."

I'm part owner in 3 single engine airplanes. I don't see any reason why anyone should be able to own twin-engine airplanes. They burn too much fuel and nobody needs a twin. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:
3. Suppressors requiring the $200 tax stamp? That's not right. "you have the right to own one, but only if you pay through the nose"? We either have the right, or we don't. The $200 tax just isn't right.

And why haven't people figured out that suppressors would actually be a good thing? Shooting ranges would be far less of an issue with range neighbors if suppressors were used.

A $200 tax and an extensive approval process for purchase of a suppressor? (actually in Taxachusetts I don't believe I can own a suppressor).

In Europe a lot of areas require the use of suppressors. Go figure...

In Taxachusetts, I don't think you're allowed to own $200.

Post-of-the day.
======================

I hope Tom doesn't take this as folks ganging up on him. We're not. Just a difference of opinion.

In Europe a lot of areas require the use of suppressors. Go figure...

I've got one for my p22 and one for my .223. With the p22 you definitely notice the difference, especially after the first shot, once gasses have filled the chambers. And particularly with the subsonic ammo. With the .223 it does reduce the sound but not even close to the same % as the .22.

When I first bought them I was expecting the same small *click* that we've heard in the movies for years. It was a bit of a surprise the first time I screwed it on and pulled the trigger.

IIRC, you have a .50 cal muzzle stuffer, right? How confident are you that our esteemed representatives in Washington (DC) would write legislation to restrict .50 cal "sniper" rifles and not broad brush it to include your and my black powder weapons? My confidence level? Not so much. Remember - they get to define (or probably more appropriately NOT DEFINE) the terms. "Looks like a sniper rifle - it's evil."

I'm part owner in 3 single engine airplanes. I don't see any reason why anyone should be able to own twin-engine airplanes. They burn too much fuel and nobody needs a twin. :rolleyes2:
We the people control who we elect, If the gun banners are in control how do you plan on stopping them?

Get out and campaign for your candidate, or loose control.

We the people control who we elect, If the gun banners are in control how do you plan on stopping them?

Get out and campaign for your candidate, or loose control.

Absolutely right on there, Tom!

Oh yes, as long as they don't take your hunting rifle, you're fine with all sorts of restrictions and laws. And later, when they restrict your hunting rifle or shotgun, it will be far too late to do anything, and nobody will be able to advocate for your rights.

Don't be so quick to throw other types of gun owners under the bus.

As for gun registrations, it worked pretty well for Canada. Oh wait, my mistake. All it did was waste money with no net decrease in crime. It was so bad they repealed the law after a few years.

I've got one for my p22 and one for my .223. With the p22 you definitely notice the difference, especially after the first shot, once gasses have filled the chambers. And particularly with the subsonic ammo. With the .223 it does reduce the sound but not even close to the same % as the .22.

When I first bought them I was expecting the same small *click* that we've heard in the movies for years. It was a bit of a surprise the first time I screwed it on and pulled the trigger.

Remember that the .22LR is (usually) subsonic. One big source of noise is the noise of going supersonic (e.g., with the .223).

IIRC, there was a recent Mythbusters episode on movie myths and one part was on gunfire and suppressor sound effects. Hollywood definitely fakes gunfire sounds and suppressor sound effects.

Is there any way we can get this thread moved to the NRA board? I hear they don't have many threads about aviation there.

I think we should have a POA party with the NRA. They can post here, and we can fill up their board with stories about how we went VFR into IMC, navigated on a handheld GPS and landed with a crosswind so bad that 737's were aborting landings.

That said I think I'm going to buy a pistol this weekend. I want a 9mm, under $400 and relatively compact. Willing to buy used if its a good name brand. What should I get?

9x19 because its an inexpensive cartridge with good power.

I am considering the kel-tec PF9 as bellyupfish has mentioned, though I fear it may be on the small side for regular shooting. I'd definitely buy it as a second gun for concealed carry, but I doubt i'll carry very often.

Last edited:
Read the definition of "Hangar Talk". Nobody is forcing anyone to open the thread. It is obviously gun related by title.

Hangar Talk Open forum for discussion of any topic you like, aviation related or otherwise (but no spin zone material, see below).

Virtually all topics in this forum are permitted - so long as they are discussed in a civil manner.

Jeez. :rolleyes: Stop having fun!!! :D

Firearms are often part of a pilot's survival kit, and personal carry in and out of the plane.

Last edited:
Remember that the .22LR is (usually) subsonic. One big source of noise is the noise of going supersonic (e.g., with the .223).

Yeah, but they do make special subsonic .22LR ammo that makes quite a bit of difference. The slower the bullett, the softer the noise. I've tried a wide variety and surprisingly there are some where you can actually watch the lead leave the barrell and make its way to the target, much like a paintball. It's not really good for anything other than sport, but it is fun and it's pretty quiet.

I think we should have a POA party with the NRA. They can post here, and we can fill up their board with stories about how we went VFR into IMC, navigated on a handheld GPS and landed with a crosswind so bad that 737's were aborting landings.

That said I think I'm going to buy a pistol this weekend. I want a 9mm, under $400 and relatively compact. Willing to buy used if its a good name brand. What should I get?

9x19 because its an inexpensive cartridge with good power.

I am considering the kel-tec PF9 as bellyupfish has mentioned, though I fear it may be on the small side for regular shooting. I'd definitely buy it as a second gun for concealed carry, but I doubt i'll carry very often.

I like my Sig P239 very much.

A glock 26 fits that bill. I have not checked prices of late.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The glock is around $450 new, so that might work. I like it too.

The sig is a bit pricey.

The Pk380 is a good contender as well. I'm not stuck on the 9mm cartridge.

I think i'm going to go visit a few gun shops and actually pick up a few... "how it feels" is important!

I shot a service beretta 9mm that I liked alot.. $600 ish new, maybe I could find one cheaper.

I loved the M9, but it's a big gun, not convenient for concealed carry. I switched from it to the Sig.

You can probably find any of the above for 400 used, in decent shape.

Is this comparing firearm related accidents/homicides or all types of accidents/homicides?

All types of accidents and homicides; I used the information from a document I now can't find! However, check Table B on page 9 in this document:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr59/nvsr59_04.pdf

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,176
Assault (homicide): 16,591

The ratio in that document is actually 7 to 1.

This document has breakdowns by broad age groups:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db64.pdf

As expected of their relative health and low life experience, ages 1 to 24 die mostly due to accidents (38%), homicide (14%), suicide (12%), cancer (7%) and heart disease (3%). This group might improve their situation by arming themselves (but might actually also accidentally shoot themselves or someone else.)

Ages 25 to 44, homicide (6%) is less "probable" than even suicide (10%) with accidents still the leading cause (25%) of death (health issues are starting to dominate.)

Above age 44, health problems are what kills people, with accidents, homicide, and suicide dropping to very small relative percentages.

No, but you can stop reading it, right?
For crying out loud. I get it. You want a gun. You want everyone to have a gun. You want us to admire you for having a gun. You are afraid that someone wants to take away your gun. blah, blah, blah.

You guys go down this road so often that it gets monotonous. My reaction to these endless chest-thumping displays is, "Is it that time of the month again?"

For crying out loud. I get it. You want a gun. You want everyone to have a gun. You want us to admire you for having a gun. You are afraid that someone wants to take away your gun. blah, blah, blah.

You guys go down this road so often that it gets monotonous. My reaction to these endless chest-thumping displays is, "Is it that time of the month again?"
It's the same thing as thinking that everyone should love airplanes, want an airplane, etc, isn't it? :rofl:

I keep opening this thread because I must have posted in it sometime earlier and there's an arrow by it but I can't remember for the life of me what I said...

bah

you wouldn't waltz in to a hangar and tell a bunch of pilots that they were being monotonous by talking about airplanes now would you?

the pilots are complaining because the new neighbors are throwing a fit about the airplane noise next to the airfield. The FAA is passing a new restrictive law. Charging us $150 a year for digital charts. Reno might get cancelled. Must be that time of the month, damn pilots are chest thumping on their soap box again.

Nope, you don't get it.

In this forum, if people want to discuss guns, or anything else "...so long as they are discussed in a civil manner", we can.

You're free to ignore topics that you don't enjoy. Your characterizing us based on whatever perceptions you have about guns as "chest-thumping" says more about you than it does about us, I think.

All types of accidents and homicides; I used the information from a document I now can't find! However, check Table B on page 9 in this document:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr59/nvsr59_04.pdf

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 117,176
Assault (homicide): 16,591

The ratio in that document is actually 7 to 1.

This document has breakdowns by broad age groups:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db64.pdf

As expected of their relative health and low life experience, ages 1 to 24 die mostly due to accidents (38%), homicide (14%), suicide (12%), cancer (7%) and heart disease (3%). This group might improve their situation by arming themselves (but might actually also accidentally shoot themselves or someone else.)

Ages 25 to 44, homicide (6%) is less "probable" than even suicide (10%) with accidents still the leading cause (25%) of death (health issues are starting to dominate.)

Above age 44, health problems are what kills people, with accidents, homicide, and suicide dropping to very small relative percentages.

I am kinda surprised that homicide counts for 14% of all deaths in 18-24y/o. I would have expected that number to be smaller.

All types of accidents and homicides;

Thanks for the info. It appears that the minority of firearms related deaths are accidental. A quick look showed around 3000 deaths for "children" and 600 accidental (all ages).

Many years ago (about 24) I read that the likelihood of a child's death (maybe by suicide?) increased many, many times if there were guns in the house. I decided that I wanted my kids more than I wanted guns.

Now that the kids are grown, it's time to start playing with guns again.

But since I'm notoriously cheap, the guns I "play" with are all .22, where the one I carry is .38.

Thanks for the info. It appears that the minority of firearms related deaths are accidental. A quick look showed around 3000 deaths for "children" and 600 accidental (all ages).

There have been some shenanigans with the definition of 'child' in the statistics commonly quoted. A 18 year old who monkeys around with a gun in his buddies college dorm room is imho not a 'child'.

Many years ago (about 24) I read that the likelihood of a child's death (maybe by suicide?) increased many, many times if there were guns in the house. I decided that I wanted my kids more than I wanted guns.
The risk-ratio for accidental injury or death to a child is quite high if a firearm is stored 'loaded and accessible'. Once you remove the factor 'accessible' (e.g. with a quick-access gun safe or a shotgun lock) the risk drops considerably. Once you remove 'loaded' it drops near background.

But since I'm notoriously cheap, the guns I "play" with are all .22, where the one I carry is .38.
The percentage of injuries involving .22 is quite high mostly a reflection of how common they are in households.

Back