Concealed Handgun License

ajstoner21

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Does anyone have one?

What are your thoughts about carrying?

For those that do, have you ever had to use it, or had a good or bad situation come out of it?

Just curious.

I have one. I rarely carry simply because I'm often at work and carrying or even having one in the car in the parking lot is a firing offense. The key benefit for me is it eliminates the potential to be accused of having a handgun within reach of the driver when heading to the range. Not too many places in a Jeep aren't accessible to the driver. The other advantage is that having one eliminates the waiting time (several days) while the state runs a background check when purchasing a handgun. Fill out the federal form, store calls for the instant check and away you go. Washington is a "shall issue" state, so you fill out the forms, get fingerprinted (electronic now, no messy ink) and pay the fee. They have up to 30 days to issue, took them a week for mine. If nothing shows up saying you shouldn't have the license, you get it.

In your case I'm glad you were able to defuse it without needing anything. Much better than making the other clown realize he had brought a knife to a gun fight. I'd much rather have mine and keep that a secret. It is a last resort.

Washington is an open carry state although it scares the hell out of the Liberals in Seattle. but the rest of the state is wide open to hunting and rural thinking.

I have a CCW issued at my local city police chief office after the proper back ground checks. After you have one you can walk right up to any gun sales counter and buy a hand gun show the CCW and walk out with the Gun.

Even though we are a open carry state we must keep the weapon in plane site with out a CCW, which invites a thief, So, I have the CCW and the gun is out of site at all times in a pistol mitt in the door boot of the Jeep.

Our state police have what most folks call quick check and know you have a CCW before they stop you for any reason. I have been stopped and the Trooper has asked if I am armed today, and I usually tell them the 1911A1 is in the pistol mitt in the drivers door and will stay there. they are good with that knowing I'm legal and they can get to theirs before I can get to mine.

In this state the trooper must see the weapon and think they have just cause to use deadly force. I usually tell them they are safer with me than they are with out me.

Attachments

• DSCN0428.jpg
    DSCN0428.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I like the rifle and shotgun loopholes. I learned gun safety at about 6 and haven't hurt anybody. I plan on getting a permit for concealed handguns, but sometimes you have to wonder why some people get it! I second the training notion! I've had training and have been taught safety since an early age. The benefits are already stated above. My parents had a permit for the same reason, they had a Geo Metro and Jeep. Make sure you notify any cops if pulled over, that's something they'll easily (and understandably) get upset over. I always thought of Texas as a gun totting place. I thought the laws were like Alaska, not permit needed.

I have one from three states. I carry all the time. Just make sure you know the laws of the state your in. I live in Ohio and you can open carry without a license.

Yep, got it and carry all the time. It's like carrying a spare tire for your car. You hope you don't ever need it, but when you do, you are glad you have it.

Pennsylvania is a Shall Issue state. Good.

However, local jurisdictions can have different laws about open carry.

Trianing is important, but it's not enough to be able to place 2 shots in a quarter at 15 yards or reload in .002 seconds.

Read as much as you can about the law in your state and the jurisdictions in which you will carry, then think through when you will and won't pull ahead of time.

If you are unable or unwilling to think through scenarios before they happen you will be too slow and lose.

I have CC but don't carry typically. Being close to Philadelphia and they have their own separate permit requirement, so I don't keep one in the car.

I have CC but don't carry typically. Being close to Philadelphia and they have their own separate permit requirement, so I don't keep one in the car.

Rob,

PA state law supersedes Philly. Your CCW permit allows you to legally carry concealed, and open carry in Philadelphia. While I do not like open carry due to the potential negative attention it brings, it is your legal right to do so.

The number one issue regarding concealed handgun carry is the training in the laws of your state, and also training in using your judgment on when to draw a weapon. There is scenario based training available to enable you to learn when it is legal and prudent to draw. The number one thing the teach in CCW class is AVOIDANCE, and learning to retreat, and get out of situations BEFORE they escalate.

Even if your incident is perfectly legal, and you harm or kill someone in pure self defense you are still opening yourself up to potentially years of litigation, and multiple thousands of dollars in legal costs to defend yourself form civil, and/or criminal law suits.

Carrying a gun is a HUGE responsibility, and one that can change your life forever. Learning to safely operate a firearm is only a small part of the training involved. Anybody can pull a trigger, the important element is the judgment involved with exercising this right.

Yes I have it and Carry all the time. Know your states laws and get some training if you don't have any. Hope that you never get into a situation where you would even have to think about needing it. Be safe.

I don't have a CCW..... yet.

I grew up around hunting guns (shotguns and rifles) but have never been around handguns. After a few articles in the paper that are a little 'too close to home' (literally), I've began to consider a CCW. I asked my retired firearms instructor father-in-law about it and he had a few good pointers and I feel more confident in my ability to discern when to draw and when not to draw.

Early next year I will probably look into the local CC class and get the permit.

Have one. I carried all the time for 29 years. Haven't carried now for more than five years.

PA state law supersedes Philly. Your CCW permit allows you to legally carry concealed, and open carry in Philadelphia. While I do not like open carry due to the potential negative attention it brings, it is your legal right to do so.

I think local jurisdiction (such as the City of Philadelphia) LEO can cite you with "brandishing" if you choose to open carry.

Last edited:
Years ago, when I was in the military, there was a town just south of our base. Literally everyone in that town was packing, even little old ladies. We all had civilian weapons that were kept in the arms room of our barracks. When we went to town, we were always packing. The town was Clarksville Tennessee. It was like a microcosm of détente.

We were in somewhat of a friendly scuffle in a bar one Saturday night with a few local boys, not one weapon was pulled, simply because everyone knew everyone was packing, and just how unfriendly our fun would become if someone pulled.

That said, I now live in San Diego. I have a Colt Officers ACP 45. It sits in a drawer and has never been fired, ever. I see no need to pack in this city. Just about every other person has a badge and a gun. (well it almost seems that way). There is simply no need to carry a gun in this town, at least in my neighborhood. We do have sections of this city where an Uzi would be appropriate, but not where I live and work.

Even if they were very liberal about handing out concealed carry permits, which they are not, I doubt if I would bother with it. Nobody ever shoots at me anyway, so what's the point?

John

I've had one for about 6 years now. If I'm not driving to work or my son's school, I carry it. I use a CTAC inside-the-waistband holster, very comfy and conceals well. I've never had to draw my weapon, and that's the way I'd like to keep it.

A gentleman very rarely needs a handgun, but when he does, he needs it very badly!

Yes, I have a CHL (both Ohio and PA). I carry very often. Got two on me right now, in fact.

Yes, usually armed x2.

Never used it but I have drawn it once. I was sitting at a red light when some dude started running down the line of cars pulling on door handles. Gun was drawn and pointed at the window he would have walked up to but the light changed and traffic started to move while he was still at the car ahead of me.

Some folks have no idea how close they've been to death...

Castle Doctrine

Again, nearly used this one too. Meter reader walked in with out knocking or announcing himself. All I heard was the back door open and someone walk down the stairs. The barking dogs scared him back out of the house before he took buckshot as I was rounding the corner with my shotgun as he made it back out the door.

Had i found a stranger in my basement that's probably where the police/coroner would have found him too.

I think local jurisdiction (such as the City of Philadelphia) LEO can cite you with "brandishing" if you choose to open carry.

If you have a PA CCW permit you may legally open carry in the City of Philadelphia, although many LEO's don't know the law. There was a recent case were an individual was legally open carrying in Philly and harassed by police, and taken into custody. He was released, and issued an apology. Philly cops then got mandatory training on legal OC.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/s...arass-threaten-shoot-man-legally-carrying-gun

The differences in state law are interesting, as are the various reciprocity agreements between and among states, In TX, a CC permit does not allow non-concealed carry, so the permit-holder can be penalized if, for example, his coat-tail happens to hang on up on his holster and reveal his weapon.

TX law also permits carrying a non-permit holder to carry a concealed weapon in a vehicle while "traveling." For many years, thousands of motorists took advantage of this provision under the guise of "if the vehicle is moving, I must be traveling, otherwise I would be at home on the sofa with the car in the garage" even if they were going to the grocery store and in spite of the original intent of the law.

A few years ago, however, the law was clarified to define travel as "any movement of the vehicle from one place to another" (or similar) and opened the gates for almost anybody to tote in the truck. The big discussion here has since evolved into the "why should I tell them everything about myself and jump through the CC hoops when I can carry a 9mm in the console and legally have it within reach for a high percentage of the time I want access to it without all the hassle?"

PS:

A guy runs a stop sign and gets pulled over by a local policeman. Guy hands the cop his driver's license, insurance verification, plus his concealed carry permit.

"Okay, Mr. Smith," the cop says, "I see your CCW permit. Are you carrying today?"

"Yes, I am."

"Well then, better tell me what you got."

Smith says, "Well, I got a .357 revolver in my inside coat pocket. There's a 9mm semi-auto in the glove box. And, I've got a .22 magnum derringer in my right boot."

"Okay," the cop says. "Anything else?"

"Yeah, back in the trunk, there's an AR15 and a shotgun. That's about it."

"Mr. Smith, are you on your way to or from a gun range?"

"Nope."

"Well then, what are you afraid of?"

"Not a damn thing."

Last edited:
Even if they were very liberal about handing out concealed carry permits, which they are not, I doubt if I would bother with it. Nobody ever shoots at me anyway, so what's the point?

John

I don't expect my house to burn down, but I still carry homeowners insurance.

However, I understand it is a very personal thing, and not for everyone. Sometimes, I think the ramifications of using it are far to great to bear the responsibility. I can see both sides.

I don't expect my house to burn down, but I still carry homeowners insurance.

However, I understand it is a very personal thing, and not for everyone. Sometimes, I think the ramifications of using it are far to great to bear the responsibility. I can see both sides.

God bless the Hamilton county prosecutor.

Very pro self defense, he has even let some go that had me thinking the shooter violated the law (however i should note that it was still a crime victim shooting the crook)

Why do i carry a gun, because a cop is to heavy.

Pennsylvania is a Shall Issue state. Good.

However, local jurisdictions can have different laws about open carry.

It is legal throughout the commonwealth of PA due to no law preventing it, the only stipulation is that in a city of first class ( Philly) you have a LTCF to do so . Local municipalities can have opinions on Open Carry but can not restrict it.

If you have a PA CCW permit you may legally open carry in the City of Philadelphia, although many LEO's don't know the law. There was a recent case were an individual was legally open carrying in Philly and harassed by police, and taken into custody. He was released, and issued an apology. Philly cops then got mandatory training on legal OC.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/on-air/s...arass-threaten-shoot-man-legally-carrying-gun

Not to split hairs, but it is a License to Carry Firearms, and it gives you more rights than to just carry concealed.

Mark Fiorino was only detained on the scene , never taken into custody. When his audio recording went viral , he was later charged with some BS charges , but they were tossed in court. The mandatory Open Carry training has been apart of the ACT 120 curriculum for a few years now and also mandatory on the MPOETC. Most of Philly PD still hasn't gotten the mandatory re-training either.

I'm not a fan of OC , but it is legal. Firm believer of with rights come responsibility. If I ever have to draw on someone , I'd rather see the look of surprise rather then them possibly making a beeline for my fire arm. Plus I do not want the unwanted attention from some anti or mall ninja.

BTW , been lurking here for a while , but this thread brought me out of hiding. Nice forum :yesnod:

No Brandishing laws on the books in PA , but they WILL try the proverbial catch all of Disorderly Conduct , but that has been beater numerous times and I believe there is even case law to back it up regarding OC is not RAS to stop and detain blah blah blah. But it is Philly. Wouldn't want to be a cop there at all.

What about it? You don't need a permit to concealed carry in most states inside your "castle."

In the great state of Texas, you can legally carry on your own property -- including in your vehicles -- without the bother of obtaining a CCP. Ah, the taste of freedom is sweet.

Since we don't care to be armed anywhere else, we haven't bothered to obtain the permit. YMMV.

I've got a sweet little Kel-tec PF9 that fits neatly in the pocket of my khaki shorts, without showing. In my business, you never know who or what is going to walk in the door, at all hours, so -- although we've never had a problem, in nine years -- I feel it's the prudent thing to do. Again, YMMV.

Jay,

You may want to consider deleting the above post. You have now just informed any potential robber, mugger, looney tune, etc what, and how you carry. Maybe I am paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

John

How would you like the last thing you see on this world is the first time some one is shooting at you?

I don't own a handgun but now that I have a nice rifle and shotgun for hunting one will likely be my next purchase, as well as a CC permit.

If I was in Jay's Business i'd definitely have one before now. I am of the opinion that citizens who are trained properly and carry enhance public safety. Only a very tiny percentage of those who go through the hoops to obtain a permit are not "law abiding" and may have malicious intent. Probably the same percentage as cops who are crooked.

I was in college at the time of the VA tech shootings. I visited a buddy there about 2 weeks prior. Something like 35 killed and 25 wounded. Students are not allowed to carry guns. Certainly did not prevent that shooting.

How long do you think that shooting would have lasted if students were allowed to carry guns? He ran all around the place.. between halls even, just shooting people. If students had been allowed to carry I'm guessing some nice country boy who grew up on a farm would have filled him full of lead pretty quick, saving dozens of lives.

Last edited:
He didn't tell about the pot of boiling oil that hangs above the customer side of the check-in counter.

Jay,

You may want to consider deleting the above post. You have now just informed any potential robber, mugger, looney tune, etc what, and how you carry. Maybe I am paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

He didn't tell about the pot of boiling oil that hangs above the customer side of the check-in counter.

Or the trap door that leads to the pond full of Crocodiles. Just like in front of Jack Benny's vault. :D

OK, first of all, what's the "W" in CCW?

Andrew, I've found an instructor in Keller I intend to use; I'm thinking about getting my CC permit with my wife.

I need to start another thread and talk about how to pick that first handgun... what to stay away from, what to consider, etc. Or, just go up and visit with Joyce Wilson and purchase two of her fine firearms. ;-)

Back