Checklist Location

On the right seat or on the dash or in the center console or in the left pocket or on my lap / under my leg or on top of a box on the back seat behind me or sometimes I just thrust it to a passenger and say "hold onto this until I ask for it back."

Depends on the plane, the PAX, and the situation.

Your DPE sounds like a micromanaging d-bag.

I made one. This is the rough draft. I can send it to you and you can modify it for your plane.

I tend to only use the pretakeoff part now but most of it is in my head at this point.

attachment.php
Should the ALT switches be left off during startup? Per the Cirrus Perspective FOM

Turn on both alternator master switches after engine start.
• Caution •
Alternators should be left OFF during engine start to avoid
high electrical loads being placed on the alternators.

Is your Cirrus an older generation?

Believe it or not, I completely understand and respect what you are saying. You have devised great "flow checks". I promise every pilot using flows periodically catches a mistake when baking up with checklists.
This.:yes:

Should the ALT switches be left off during startup? Per the Cirrus Perspective FOM

Turn on both alternator master switches after engine start.
• Caution •
Alternators should be left OFF during engine start to avoid
high electrical loads being placed on the alternators.

Is your Cirrus an older generation?

This isn't my current checklist. This was a rough draft.
It has been updated and no longer looks like this.
I just can't find the current version because I made it on a different computer.

I was just offering this as 1 page template.

My start procedure is
Batt 1 and 2
Full throttle and mixture
prime
throttle to detent
mixture back
fuel pump boost
mags while increasing mixture

once started, alt 1 and 2, avionics, lights, etc...

Used to fly a SR22 (400 hrs) but have now become more economical so fly a C172SP/G1000.

Can't stand any of the checklists out there -- all of them leave something important out. Have gone to the flow method for preflight and all other flight phases except run-up and departure brief/just-before-takeoff.

Have a Qref laminated card kept under my leg, with my own "cheat sheet" w/ Vspeeds and such. If EVERYTHING were on a checklist (i.e., not in a flow or in memory), then you wouldn't have time to fly the airplane.

The question is NOT where to place the checklist but what is ON the checklist, I think.

This isn't my current checklist. This was a rough draft.
It has been updated and no longer looks like this.
I just can't find the current version because I made it on a different computer.

I was just offering this as 1 page template.

My start procedure is
Batt 1 and 2
Full throttle and mixture
prime
throttle to detent
mixture back
fuel pump boost
mags while increasing mixture

once started, alt 1 and 2, avionics, lights, etc...
I know absolutely zero about Cirrus aircraft. That said, I know a fair amount about aviation.
I think it's great if you write your own NORMAL checklist. Manufacture's are generally silly. I give you huge credit for obviously taking the time to devise and adhere to a checklist.
The key is that we actually use whatever checklist is decided upon.
I *believe* normal checlicklist may be varied from manufacturer for 91 and 135 ops. Not so sure about 121. Abnormal and emer lists can never be altered.

I wrote my own checklist for the 172 as a student. When I bought the Mooney, I wrote my own checklist for it. Both came from the POH. It still lives on my kneeboard, complete with abridged Performance Tables, to preserve the crisp, brown paper of the original folded-and-stapled book.

Checklist..... for a single Cessna like the 206 I fly..????

BAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA...!!!!!!

Ok, taped to the back of the sun visor....

Mine is on a piece of paper. I keep it folded in my shirt pocket. The paper charts are wedged in between the dash and the windscreen. I would appreciate advice on cockpit management, but in the end it is a personal decision. I'm still working on how to deal with my notepad/flight plan. Since I dislike strapping things to my legs, I'm thinking of dispensing with the metal clipboard and just going with a 5x8 pad (with the flight plan clipped on) that can join the charts between the dash and windscreen.

For work its on the flight engineer's table. For GA it sits in the pouch by my left leg or in the seat back of the co-pilots seat. Only referenced during the run-up. I'm a fan of the GUMPS acronym. I feel using that in most GA single engine complex airplanes you hit the big items.

The dashboard on my Cardinal curves at the ends so I put the checklists in the crease at the side where it meets the windscreen. I also have a small check list that has T/O, climb, decent, landing checklists on a small laminated card that I clp to a binder clip taped to the yoke.

I actually keep mine on the floor directly in front of the pilot seat. It's the easiest way to get access to it in my airplane. In things like Skyhawks, I'd stuff it under my leg.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1333-XLcl.jpg
    IMG_1333-XLcl.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 130
Can't stand any of the checklists out there -- all of them leave something important out. Have gone to the flow method for preflight and all other flight phases except run-up and departure brief/just-before-takeoff.

The question is NOT where to place the checklist but what is ON the checklist, I think.
That's why I like to make my own checklists. I have a standard Excel spreadsheet checklist format and will enter the items from the POH checklist and then add in the items that I believe are missing.

Helped a lot when I was flying a lot of different rentals - I had a single checklist kneeboard with all the airplanes I flew in the same familiar format.

In the clip on my kneeboard or under the notepad on the kneeboard

I keep two abbreviated laminated checklists close by. One for normal operations and one for emergencies. I also always check that the POH is within reach too.

I knew which video that was before I clicked on it, in the Comanche it's :

Initial gear down check green.
First notch of flap - check gear down
Second notch of flaps - check gear down.
Last notch of flaps - check gear down.
Short final - check gear down.
Before throttle to idle - check gear down.

That's how I do it...:yes::yes:

Got into a debate today with one of our DPEs about where to put the checklist during flight.

I personally slide it between the windscreen and the dash. It sits unnoticeable to me against the windscreen. If I am in our twin commanche it's stuck on the ceiling under the window trim. One of our DPEs hates those locations. He demands it to be on your lap or under your leg.

I personally hate that location because the checklist will often end up on the floor or under the seat.

So POA, where do you like to place your checklists?

my kneeboard actually opens to reveal a space for the ipad and which also has a clip on the front cover. my notepad is under the clip, the ipad is inside and the checklist is on top of my leg under the kneeboard or under my leg.

Got into a debate today with one of our DPEs about where to put the checklist during flight.

I personally slide it between the windscreen and the dash. It sits unnoticeable to me against the windscreen. If I am in our twin commanche it's stuck on the ceiling under the window trim. One of our DPEs hates those locations. He demands it to be on your lap or under your leg.

I personally hate that location because the checklist will often end up on the floor or under the seat.

Re-read the first post. Does he demand this of the students he's giving checks to? If so, where does it say the checklist needs to be in your lap or under leg in the PTS?

I know the answer, just making a point. Since my first DPE demanded I use certain name brand things and deviated from PTS. Personal opinion and grading standard are different.

I keep it in the side pocket by my left knee in the 172(s) or between the seats in the 152.

I usually have it in the pocket of the tri-fold kneeboard. Easy to access and I don't notice it there until I need it as it's on the outside of my thigh. I didn't make some fancy laminated checklist though since I'm only flying 172's at this point, I use the ubiquitous SureCheck checklists for the 172R/172RG.

I primarily use flows anyway, with a quick run through the checklist to verify.

Use mine for preflight and sunup, and then in the glove box it goes. No way am I reading a checklist while single-handedly flying an airplane.

Use mine for preflight and sunup, and then in the glove box it goes. No way am I reading a checklist while single-handedly flying an airplane.

That's where you most need it :yes:

Single pilot IMC just about to get on the approach, no one watching your back, run your flows and follow up with that checklist.

You start your approach segiment, start setting up and running your flows, bam, approach says turn heading XXX, ok, 10 seconds later, Cessna 123 information Alpha now current wind blah blah blah, you reset you altimeter and note the runway has changed, PHEW, now youre back to getting set up for that approach again, you sure you didn't miss something?

There is a reason it's part of check rides, even for professional pilots yearly and bi yearly rides.

Any pro will tell you there have been times that the checkride helped them catch something they overlooked.

Pre flight is easy, no rush, run up is the same, in flight is where checklists are more likely to save your bacon.

Last edited:
That's where you most need it :yes:

Single pilot IMC just about to get on the approach, no one watching your back, run your flows and follow up with that checklist.

Not certain how I'm going to read a checklist with my hands full of airplane. I don't exactly have a right-seater to take over while I do my reading.

1) Same Place
2) in the side pocket next to my left leg (but that pocket is usually distorted so that it typically falls out)
3) I scan a copy and put it on my tablet --- so it's readily available

Plastic card checklists are great. I put it in the same place you do, so I can grab it in a hurry.

Side pocket at my left knee when flying GA, side pocket at my right knee while at work.

Plastic card checklists are great. I put it in the same place you do, so I can grab it in a hurry.

One little hint:

Buy a roll of clear Contact paper. The kind used to line shelves. Home Depot has it.

Can be used as a poor man's lamination. Not as stiff as professionally applied lamination, but gets the job done.

FastEddie is right. That's what I've always done. And I condense it to the bare minimum.

Not certain how I'm going to read a checklist with my hands full of airplane. I don't exactly have a right-seater to take over while I do my reading.

I've never had a right seater ether, but I manage to use a checklist.

If you're unable to fly a approach and use a checklist your CRM is lacking, I also don't know how you managed to pass your initial ride.

Single pilot is a area you really want a checklist, especially for IFR or more advanced or complicated systems.

Last edited:
Pocket on the right seat. The left knee pocket is for sectional

I hate that location to during flight training. In most aircraft it blocks my view for traffic in that part of the sky. Granted, it isn't much, but enough to make me smirk, but not enough for me to speak up.

The most important thing is that once you determine a good location ALWAYS put it there. The rule I teach is, "It is either in your hand, or in the location you have chosen...period."

I wrote an article for our flight club newsletter on checklist usage. If the group doesn't mind, I would appreciate POA's critique. I will post it in a separate thread though.

Gene

I use a suction cup on the left window. Attached to the suction cup is a small binder clip. Attached to the small binder clip is the check list.

Has anyone pointed out that a DPE who complains about where a pilot chooses to place a checklist for easy access by the pilot is a schmuck?

There is a support brace that comes down at an angle along the windshield. There is enough room to slide a sectional and my check list. between the brace and the windshield. I laminated the checklist from POH.

If I fly solo my flight bag is on the right seat POH lives there. If I carry passengers flight bag is on the floor behind right seat.

I also like the GUMPS acronym.

I'll slide it under my right thigh for easy access before takeoff and during climb to cruise altitude and transition to enroute. After that, I too use the dash/glareshield location. Who cares what the DPE thinks? Anyone can have good cockpit organization without doing exactly what the DPE wants.

Has anyone pointed out that a DPE who complains about where a pilot chooses to place a checklist for easy access by the pilot is a schmuck?

I agree, who really cares where you keep your checklist, except that it be accessible, convenient and that you use it.

Back