Checklist Location

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Got into a debate today with one of our DPEs about where to put the checklist during flight.

I personally slide it between the windscreen and the dash. It sits unnoticeable to me against the windscreen. If I am in our twin commanche it's stuck on the ceiling under the window trim. One of our DPEs hates those locations. He demands it to be on your lap or under your leg.

I personally hate that location because the checklist will often end up on the floor or under the seat.

So POA, where do you like to place your checklists?

Ours goes in a pouch that is suctioned to the left rear window (cherokee so easy to reach)

I personally can't stand it being on the dash because the reflection annoys me. so, I keep it pretty much anywhere else but there. give it to pax so they feel like they're doing something lol.

Side pocket. If there's no side pocket I'll put on the corner of the dash

I personally can't stand it being on the dash because the reflection annoys me. so, I keep it pretty much anywhere else but there. give it to pax so they feel like they're doing something lol.

Ours are white plastic so it blends into sky pretty well. But any other color would be distracting like you said.

So basically you reach over your shoulder? Trying to visualize it! :D

Pretty much, but then again gotta remember the whole cabin is tiny lol. Generally I pull out to do preflight and run up checks, then put away till landing. It's not too bad yet always know where it's at.

Single half page checklist thickly laminated

I keep it half under my right thigh.

Works the same for my work plane as my personal plane.

Which one do you use ? That booklet or a simple page one?

The reason Im asking is the Cirrus I'm flying only has that expanded checklist booklet and I hate the layout.

You really shouldn't need a booklet for a cirrus, guys flying everything from B17 bombers to now days king airs just use one page for their normal checklist.

Last edited:
In the pocket on the "side kick panel" on my side of the plane along with my e6b.

Oh...

...and my metal landing calculator!

:goofy:

Which one do you use ? That booklet or a simple page one?

The reason Im asking is the Cirrus I'm flying only has that expanded checklist booklet and I hate the layout.

I made one. This is the rough draft. I can send it to you and you can modify it for your plane.

I tend to only use the pretakeoff part now but most of it is in my head at this point.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cl.jpg
    Cl.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 297
I have one of these:

http://www.marvgolden.com/flight-cr...ilitary.html?gclid=CNCuufusz8YCFZKFaQodxaYPzQ

It contains my checklist an all necessary documents for me to fly (not for my airplane), as well as my permits to land on military bases and DC SFRA and FRZ procedures. I also attach the keys to my airplane on one of the rings.

When I'm not flying it stays in my pilots bag all the time. After I'm done with use I hand it to my wife (if she's in the passenger seat) and she puts back in the bag, otherwise my bag is on the passenger seat and it goes back inside.

More info to above:

My airplane is so old that the checklists are about 5 lines and in the airplane manual, so I touched them up a bit, added a few other things like "TRIPLE ****ING CHECK THE CARB HEAT" and printed them in a larger size.

All our A320 checklists fit on one side of one standard page. That includes duplicates which one or the other is used (ie single or both engine taxi).
Long checklists are a bad thing. Proper flows, backed up with serious things on the checklists are the key. Over complication is not good.

Left knee pocket. If the plane doesn't have one, a place that is easily accessible, but out of the way.

Define professional.

Standard definition. Making money at your trade.

I don't care how you spin this. No checklists is not a good thing. Flows (checklists by memory) are great , and used by airlines. The "kill" items are always backed by a checklist

One more of the several reasons airlines are 100 times safer than GA.

I made one. This is the rough draft. I can send it to you and you can modify it for your plane.
attachment.php

You should never, ever shoot for a particular EGT value unless your airplane in turbocharged. Lean it LOP and keep the CHTs under 380f while maintaining a smooth running engine.

Back to checklists... I don't use one, unless I'm working.

I spend way more money on flying than I take in, so no. Also a few hundred hours in the same plane and no others, the checklists gets in the way. Plus it's not like I fly a very complex plane. And if I need a checklist to tell me to flip the avionics swtich on, maybe I need to quit flying.

And with the way my panel and instruments are laid out my flow is my checklist.

Breaker panel, master, pump, mags, mixture, crank, throttle. (my plane starts easier if I start cranking then use the acc pump) instruments.

No need for checklist there. All other phases of flight are pretty much the same. Left to right, left to right, left to right. Repeat ad infinitum

Last edited:
I spend way more money on flying than I take in, so no. Also a few hundred hours in the same plane and no others, the checklists gets in the way. Plus it's not like I fly a very complex plane. And if I need a checklist to tell me to flip the avionics swtich on, maybe I need to quit flying.

And with the way my panel and instruments are laid out my flow is my checklist.

Breaker panel, master, pump, mags, mixture, crank, throttle. (my plane starts easier if I start cranking then use the acc pump) instruments.

No need for checklist there. All other phases of flight are pretty much the same. Left to right, left to right, left to right. Repeat ad infinitum
Believe it or not, I completely understand and respect what you are saying. You have devised great "flow checks". I promise every pilot using flows periodically catches a mistake when baking up with checklists.

Believe it or not, I completely understand and respect what you are saying. You have devised great "flow checks". I promise every pilot using flows periodically catches a mistake when baking up with checklists.

That's why I've explicitly added a "killer items" check to my normal routine. In other words, items that if omitted, will potentially kill you.

Forget the landing light? No big deal.

Forget to check your flight controls? Big deal.

You should never, ever shoot for a particular EGT value unless your airplane in turbocharged. Lean it LOP and keep the CHTs under 380f while maintaining a smooth running engine.

Back to checklists... I don't use one, unless I'm working.

I lean for CHTs, but that's a diffrent topic.

For my personal plane I am even more religious on following up my checklist than in the work plane.

Don't need this type of event, so being OCD is warranted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLQnY5fDU8

That's why I've explicitly added a "killer items" check to my normal routine. In other words, items that if omitted, will potentially kill you.

Forget the landing light? No big deal.

Forget to check your flight controls? Big deal.
Forget to check the flight controls "no big deal"??? Oh my. I know of at least one that killed himself by leaving the control lock in. I know in my last outfit several that left the controls locked due to wind. I know others whose controls jammed because their lunch bag was in the way.

I lean for CHTs, but that's a diffrent topic.

For my personal plane I am even more religious on following up my checklist than in the work plane.

Don't need this type of event, so being OCD is warranted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLQnY5fDU8
I knew which video that was before I clicked on it, in the Comanche it's :

Initial gear down check green.
First notch of flap - check gear down
Second notch of flaps - check gear down.
Last notch of flaps - check gear down.
Short final - check gear down.
Before throttle to idle - check gear down.

Forget to check the flight controls " no big deal"??? Oh my. I know if at least one that killed himself by leaving the control lock in. In know in my last outfit several that left the controls locked due to wind. I know others whose controls jammed because their lunch bag was in the way.

I won't get mad, but you should go back and read my post a little closer.

I won't get mad, but you should go back and read my post a little closer.

Okay, fair enough. I've re read it. You have added killer items to your "routine". That does not say "checklist".

Okay, fair enough. I've re read it. You have added killer items to your "routine". That does not say "checklist".

I meant the part where I wrote that forgetting to check your flight controls is a very big deal, not the other way around.

Kneeboard, as seen here:

12926639325_89792065d8_z.jpg

I've seen too many accident reports where not following a checklist was a contributing factor to forego using one. Even in a plane as relatively simple as my Sky Arrow.

Others can do as they please.

I meant the part where I wrote that forgetting to check your flight controls is a very big deal, not the other way around.

I get that... The way way it was written could be taken differently, but I certainly agree your way is fine.

That said, a written checklist should've followed with such items.

During the day? In the eyebrow window on the side the sun is in...

I have a small piece of velcro on mine, and stick it to a matching piece that is at the base of the windshield pillar. Puts it against the side of the plane, doesn't block anything including windows, and is in a position where I can read it without even moving it. The last part was just by chance, I put it there so it would be convenient to get to, but as it turns out I dont need to get to it, I just look at it.

Back