Checklist Location

My buddy took this pic today, which just happens to show where I keep my checklist.

11698814_10207190994203352_3399938379941010459_n.jpg

Side pocket, fits perfectly and its out of the way when I don't need it.

Now we can start the "Where do you keep your pen?" thread.

I find these guys really help keep my pens from going astray:

721d6c7f-12b1-4fa1-8990-4971e2910931_145.jpg

Got in the habit when I ferried cropdusters - anything dropped there would stay out of reach in the belly of the plane for the remainder of the leg.

Stainless fishing leaders also serve well to keep things tethered.

In the side pocket just aft of the fuel selector (Piper Dakota). There is another in the pocket on the right side too.

In the side pocket on left side. easy to get to, and doesn't get lost.

Has anyone pointed out that a DPE who complains about where a pilot chooses to place a checklist for easy access by the pilot is a schmuck?

Agree, unless the applicant put that checklist somewhere where it blocks his view, it's hard to get to, or the checklist could fall and not be able to be retrieved easily.

You must not fly IFR.

Velcro is my answer to everything. It holds my stopwatch, checklist, Performance cheat sheet, pens, MP3 player, keys, etc.

Pen, just a elastic loop on the side of my small legal pad which covers the screen of the iPad mini.

Performance sheet is on the bottom of my half sheet double sided checklist, had plenty of room left.

Keys live in my pocket or in a bag in the back

I don't use the iPod much for flying, when I do it just lives in a side pocket.

do you actually use the stopwatch?

Not sure what you have for a panel, but between the GNS boxes and the garmin transponder it really eliminates the need

Last edited:
do you actually use the stopwatch?

For timed approaches, absolutely. It also has a time function which I keep on Zulu for easy reference. There are other timers in the plane but this one is the easiest to use and it's right in front of my face. You can see it in that pic between the DG and AI. I have music plugged into the audio panel on pretty much any flight over an hour, so the little MP3 player is stuck to the panel nearby.

The keys, for some reason my plane has 3 different keys, one for the ignition and one for each door. If I have them all on a ring the 2 unused ones hang in front of the VSI. Instead I split them up and put the unused ones on a piece of velcro while flying.

Last edited:
You must not fly IFR.
I do all the time. Teach it too.

The comment was semi tongue-in-cheek. When I first got rid of paper in the cockpit, I got rid of pens also and wrote with my finger on my tablet. I did, however have a pen and sticky note pad available as emergency equipment. I also eventually discovered that sweaty fingers don't make a good "pen" for a tablet and started using a stylus.
3641366_f260.jpg

I have a small spiral notebook and the pen is stuck through the wires on that. Works fine for my IFR needs or copying info on the ground at IAD, etc.

Back