Cheat Sheet of ATC Phraseology

LastXdeth

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
LastXdeth
I'm finishing up my CFI-I and hope to teach instrument students soon. I want to simulate ATC instructions as authentic and proper as possible to my future students.

I was wondering if there is all-encompassing document out there that contains all ATC phraseology (approach clearances, holding instructions, missed approach instructions, etc.) that an IFR pilot could receive?

I think you mean actual sentences or quotes? Like when given “...cleared for the visual...” what does that mean and what you must/can/cannot do?

I think you mean actual sentences or quotes? Like when given “...cleared for the visual...” what does that mean and what you must/can/cannot do?
Yes sir, the phraseology verbatim. I don't necessarily need the explanation, just the exact sentences/quotes.

No document other than the .65. Even then, there’s some stuff that’s listed as an “example” and not “phraseology.” Example is optional and phraseology is mandatory.

I'm finishing up my CFI-I and hope to teach instrument students soon. I want to simulate ATC instructions as authentic and proper as possible to my future students.

I was wondering if there is all-encompassing document out there that contains all ATC phraseology (approach clearances, holding instructions, missed approach instructions, etc.) that an IFR pilot could receive?

I don't think a document like that exists but, perhaps you can make one yourself. I think the importance of accuracy can't be overstated when pretending to be ATC...I recently had a 121 sim instructor give me an invalid holding instruction and then admonish me for programming the box "wrong" :rolleyes:

I am not aware of one document listing all those. If there was, it would be huge. I mean, a literally all-encompassing document would have every kind of wake turbulence advisory, traffic advisory, instructions to reporting a compulsory reporting point, loss of radar contact instructions, oceanic crossings, issuing speed restrictions (in Mach number too!), on and on. Obviously you don't need all that to effectively mimic ATC for training purposes. I'd say for most CFII work, the following ATC instructions will get 90 percent of the work done. And of course, you can always (and should) contact ATC to get real practice.

Assigning headings and altitudes
Approach clearances when getting vectors (PTAC)
Approach clearances when not getting vectors ("Cross XXXXX at or above Y,YYY, cleared ZZZ approach")
IFR clearances (CRAFT)
Holding instructions
Frequency changes (if you get this deep into being realistic) "Change to advisory frequency approved, report IFR cancellation this frequency or with Flight Service...."

I do try to be as accurate as possible, though admittedly I have a "slight" advantage having been an actual radar-facility-rated controller in the USAF. However, as you know, even "real" ATC doesn't get the phrasing right all the time, so a little ambiguity can be good for practice (makes them ask questions like they should of real ATC).

Make sure when you do it, you do it like controllers at JFK and la guardia. Whentheycantspititbackwithout talkingabreathand100%accuracychewthemoutforbeingincompetentandbelittlethembecuaseweallknowyouareafarsuperiorhuman.

I don't think a document like that exists but, perhaps you can make one yourself. I think the importance of accuracy can't be overstated when pretending to be ATC...I recently had a 121 sim instructor give me an invalid holding instruction and then admonish me for programming the box "wrong" :rolleyes:
At least you were able to program something…I had a sim instructor give me “hold northwest of the MEM 220 degree radial, 20 mile fix.”

that was an interesting discussion.

There's this (of which I have no personal experience):
Comm1: IFR Radio Simulator CD-ROM - MyPilotStore.com
and this, from (sadly, recently deceased) Bob Gardner, an excellent start:
Say Again, Please Book: Guide to Radio Communications - MyPilotStore.com
Or, as suggested, liveatc.net, or listening with a scanner at home. I don't know of any one abbreviated guide, but as a CFI-I, you could make up a listing of the most common used phrases and directions for your area. For example, around here at non-towered fields, aircraft are typically off radar below about 3000 agl, so the litany from ATC is always the same ("Cleared for the RNAV 27 approach, radar service terminated, etc."). Or, if getting vectored for an ILS, it's usually the same "3 miles from xxxxx, maintain yyyy till established, cleared ILS" etc.
It's about all you can do to prep a student for the infinite number of theoretical possibilities.

AIM: Air Traffic Control: Section 2. Radio Communications Phraseology and Techniques, 4-2-1 through 4-2-7

Make sure when you do it, you do it like controllers at JFK and la guardia. Whentheycantspititbackwithout talkingabreathand100%accuracychewthemoutforbeingincompetentandbelittlethembecuaseweallknowyouareafarsuperiorhuman.
you have to many r's in that

You might design a phase of flight ATC phraseology guide of you own. It’s not that difficult.

Back