CFII

paflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
PAFlyer
I never thought to look, but the language of 61.65 says instruction for IRA must be by an "authorized instructor", and the definition of that doesn't say "CFI-I", just that the instructor must have an IR.

What am I missing?

I never thought to look, but the language of 61.65 says instruction for IRA must be by an "authorized instructor", and the definition of that doesn't say "CFI-I", just that the instructor must have an IR.

What am I missing?

Bob

What am I missing?

61.195 Flight instructor limitations

and qualifications.

A person who holds a flight instructor

certificate is subject to the following

limitations:

(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor

who provides instrument

training for the issuance of an instrument

rating, a type rating not limited

to VFR, or the instrument training required

for commercial pilot and airline

transport pilot certificates must hold

an instrument rating on his or her

pilot certificate and flight instructor

certificate
that is appropriate to the

category and class of aircraft used for

the training provided.

That doesn't explain the distinction between a vanilla CFI and and a CFI-I (how many CFI's don't also have an IR?)

Correct me if I am wrong, but having and IR and being a CFI does not automatically make you a CFII.

What definition are you looking at?

What am I missing?

Authorized instructor means—

(i) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with §61.217, when conducting ground training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her ground instructor certificate;

(ii) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with §61.197, when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate; or

(iii) A person authorized by the Administrator to provide ground training or flight training under part 61, 121, 135, or 142 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with that authority.

61.195 has those limitations.

What's prompting the question is the "three hours of instruction withing the last two calendar months" re prep for IR checkride.
Vanilla CFI offered, but it looks like it requires CFII.

What's prompting the question is the "three hours of instruction withing the last two calendar months" re prep for IR checkride.

There is no specific guidance as to the content or syllabus of those three hours, but the CFII has to sign that they provided it. I doubt you'd find a non -II who'd sign it.

The three hour prep thing was in response to FAA thinking that too many applicants were coming to IR checkrides unprepared quite some time ago, and their response was to add the somewhat vague requirement that there be this "three hours of prep" and a sign off by the responsible instructor.

They've been pretty clear in other Chief Counsel letters that only an -II can give the 15 hours (out of the 40) of instruction on specific IR requirements, so they'd probably apply that to this three hours and the sign off as well. But they don't specifically call out any particular skills required to be taught during the three hours. The assumption would be that it would be a mock checkride, or at least that's how most instructors seem to handle it.

They also quite often refer to "CFI" as meaning "CFI within the limitations printed on their CFI certificate" in other places in the regs, and those limitations include Instrument.

I don't think they intended it to read as "vanilla CFI". They intended it to read as "CFI within the limitations of their CFI cert". If that makes it clearer.

I don't think they intended it to read as "vanilla CFI". They intended it to read as "CFI within the limitations of their CFI cert". If that makes it clearer.
Yeah, I presumed that to be the case but it's not apparent in the regulation.

Someone could be dumb enough to ask the Chief Counsel and maybe we'd get yet another badly written law re-written to something it wasn't intended to do. LOL.

(Please don't.) :)

That doesn't explain the distinction between a vanilla CFI and and a CFI-I
That would the "in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate", would it not?

Authorized instructor means—

(i) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with §61.217, when conducting ground training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her ground instructor certificate;

(ii) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with §61.197, when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate; or

(iii) A person authorized by the Administrator to provide ground training or flight training under part 61, 121, 135, or 142 of this chapter when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with that authority.

61.195 has those limitations.
the Chief Counsel has also said that all instrument training logged as such must be with an II, whether or not it is part of the 15. So you'd have to make the assumption that the 3 hours in preparation for the instrument checkride dies not have to be instrument training. That's a pretty big assumption to make.

the Chief Counsel has also said that all instrument training logged as such must be with an II, whether or not it is part of the 15. So you'd have to make the assumption that the 3 hours in preparation for the instrument checkride dies not have to be instrument training. That's a pretty big assumption to make.

Doesn't this mean that the 3 to get your private need to be done with a CFII too?

Doesn't this mean that the 3 to get your private need to be done with a CFII too?

(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument training for the issuance of an instrument rating, a type rating not limited to VFR, or the instrument training required for commercial pilot and airline transport pilot certificates must hold an instrument rating on his or her pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft used for the training provided.

I presumed that it had to be an II. Read my post again.

I think it got lost in the back and forth. I thought you said it wasn't apparent that the 3 hours in prep for the instrument ride needed to be with an II. Just joining the fray pointing out it is.

You've got to be kidding me.
I know many here pull apart the regs to the point of insanity... but maybe they shouldn't.

Then again, thecreSon many do is because the Feds do the same if they're coming after you.
That said, most here have no clue what that is like.

I think it got lost in the back and forth. I thought you said it wasn't apparent that the 3 hours in prep for the instrument ride needed to be with an II. Just joining the fray pointing out it is.
Well i said it's not apparent (others pointed out that you have to start cross reference definitions), but the assumption is there.

Then again, thecreSon many do is because the Feds do the same if they're coming after you.
heh, why do you think there are so many arcane laws and regulations that carry the force of law?

Everyone can be proven guilty of something.

heh, why do you think there are so many arcane laws and regulations that carry the force of law?

Everyone can be proven guilty of something.
I will respond shortly.

I'm still trying to figure out my typo.

Yeah @paflyer was just clarifying for the folks above him in the thread who didn't listen to the answer (that its instrument instruction and the CFI must provide training within the limitations of their CFI certificate).

He wasn't the person asking if the three hours could be done by a non-II.

I have a feeling @krichlow has an interesting story coming, though. LOL.

Correct me if I am wrong, but having and IR and being a CFI does not automatically make you a CFII.
An instrument rating on your flight instructor certificate does.

An instrument rating on your pilot certificate is required for flight instructors with airplane or powered lift categories or an instrument rating (on their flight instructor certificate).

An instrument rating on your flight instructor certificate does.

I may be reading you wrong, but if that's the case. Why does a commercial/instrument rated CFI still have to take a CFII course to get the double I?

I may be reading you wrong, but if that's the case. Why does a commercial/instrument rated CFI still have to take a CFII course to get the double I?
While you have the IR, the Feds want to make sure can teach the IR. They already know you can fly instruments but that's not what the CFII is about.

While you have the IR, the Feds want to make sure can teach the IR. They already know you can fly instruments but that's not what the CFII is about.

Right. But you still have to have it or no CFII. So and instrument rating on your CFI doesn't automatically make you a CFII. Or at least one that can legally teach it toward the rating. So I don't understand the hair-splitting.

Right. But you still have to have it or no CFII. So and instrument rating on your CFI doesn't automatically make you a CFII. Or at least one that can legally teach it toward the rating. So I don't understand the hair-splitting.
That's correct

An instrument rating on your CFI certificate is exactly what a CFII is. There is no such thing as a "CFII" certificate, it's a colloquialism.

You're reading me wrong, First off, there is no such thing as a CFI or a II.

Do you know what the difference between a CERTIFICATE and a RATING is?
Do you know that a PILOT (Student, Sport, Recreational, Private, Commercial, or ATP) CERTIFICATE is distinct from a FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE?

To get your FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR certificate you need either a COMMERCIAL PILOT CERTIFICATE or an ATP CERTIFICATE.
The PILOT certificate must have CATEGORY AND CLASS RATINGS to match those you are trying to get on your FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR certificate.
If you are going for a flight instructor certificate with an airplane category rating, you must have an INSTRUMENT AIRPLANE rating on your COMMERCIAL certificate or have an ATP (which includes instrument privs).

If you want to train pilots for an instrument rating on their certificates or you are giving type rating training that isn't restricted to VFR, you must have an INSTRUMENT RATING on your FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR certificate.

Holders of flight instructor certificates are colloquially called CFIs. Such people who have INSTRUMENT RATINGS on their FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR certificates are colloquially called CFIIs or IIs.

The 3 hours needed for the private certificate has been deemed NOT to be instrument training that requires the instructor to have an INSTRUMENT RATING on his INSTRUCTORs certificate.

Oh, and by the way, there's no requirement for a "course" to get a "II." All you need is a sign off to take the checkride (and to have passed the written, which doesn't require anything formally ).

Do you know that a PILOT (Student, Sport, Recreational, Private, Commercial, or ATP) CERTIFICATE is distinct from a FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATE?

Truthfully, I bet a lot of Private certificate holders don't realize CFIs carry around two different pieces of green plastic. One is our pilot certificate, the other the instructor certificate. They each have their own limitations and ratings printed on them.

They probably glaze over a bit when reading that section of the regs, too. I know twenty years ago I did. Wasn't relevant to me, and seemed like something I'd either not do for quite a while, or never do, depending on when you asked me.

I'm waiting on new green plastic again... I got the paperwork done for the AGI and IGI a couple weeks ago at the FSDO. The new green plastic for the pilot cert showed up about a week before that. It's been a year of swapping a lot of paper and plastic into and out of my wallet. LOL.

A lot of pilots also probably don't realize that an ATP holder can teach without a Flight Instructor certificate, if inside of an air carrier service's approved training program. At least legally... with limitations... practically, most of them were former CFIs.

And an ATP doesn't need an instrument rating (instrument privs are inherent in that pilot certificate).

Truthfully, I bet a lot of Private certificate holders don't realize CFIs carry around two different pieces of green plastic. One is our pilot certificate, the other the instructor certificate. They each have their own limitations and ratings printed on them.
Truthfully, based on the number of threads I see asking about getting the "commercial rating," a lot don't know the difference between a certificate and a rating to begin with.

The FAA is even nice enough to give us a summary in a reg with the funny title, "
§61.5 Certificates and ratings issued under this part."

Generally I'd say it's not a big deal for a Private Pilot to not know exactly what a CFI has in his pocket...but this statement scares me a little bit.
Well, more than a little bit.

Right. But you still have to have it or no CFII. So and instrument rating on your CFI doesn't automatically make you a CFII.
Without the yelling, sure it does. Kinda repeating what others said. Hopefully laying it out in a different way.

The FAA issues various types of airman certificates. Pilot certificates, Flight Instructor certificates, Ground Instructor certificates, Mechanic Certificates, for example. To these certificates, the FAA adds ratings. "Airplane Single Engine Land" on a pilot certificate and "Airframe" on a mechanic certificate are examples. Mechanic vs pilot is easy. But the FAA has also been incredibly consistent in differentiating between pilot certificates and flight instructor certificates.

Ratings for the CFI certificate include,
  • Aircraft category ratings such as airplane or glider
  • Class ratings that might be applicable to the aircraft category. For example, "single-engine" and "Multiengine" are class ratings for the airplane category; "helicopter" is a class rating for the rotorcraft category.
  • Instrument ratings
  • Sport pilot rating.
When we talk informally about flight instructors, though, there's a disconnect between the regulations and the pilot vernacular. That probably accounts for a lot of the confusion.

When we talk about a "CFI," we are usually referring to a "plain vanilla" CFI who gave primary training. If we wanted to be more accurate, that's actually someone who has a CFI certificate with an Airplane, Single Engine rating. (Some people have been known to use "CFI-A" or "CFI-ASE" as a shorthand, which probably makes more sense).

When we talk about a CFII, we are referring to someone who has a flight instructor certificate with an instrument airplane rating on her instructor certificate. A more accurate abbreviation would be "CFI-IA" (Certified Flight instructor, Instrument Airplane).

When we talk about an MEI, we are referring to someone who has a flight instructor who has certificate with an instrument rating on his instructor certificate. It would probably make more sense to use "CFI-ME" but no one I know does with any regularity.

The ultimate point, in terms of the thread is, 61.195, which tells pretty clearly:
A person who holds a flight instructor certificate is subject to the following limitations:
(b) Aircraft Ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating ; and
(2) If appropriate, a type rating.​
and
(c) Instrument Rating. A flight instructor who provides instrument training for the issuance of an instrument rating, a type rating not limited to VFR, or the instrument training required for commercial pilot and airline transport pilot certificates must hold an instrument rating on his or her pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate that is appropriate to the category and class of aircraft used for the training provided.​

Notice the phrase, "pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate" and that the applicable ratings must be on both.

That (c) has been expanded by interpretation to cover training other than for a certificate or rating. So, for example, the CFI (a Certified Flight Instructor) who gives an IPC must also be a CFI-IA even though it is not toward the issuance of a certificate or rating.

Last edited:
Back