Cessna made in China

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Cessna announced they were taking a chunk of the production to China a while back. I haven’t thought much of it until I received my parts order last week. Sure enough, stamped China right there on the new Cessna fuel fitting. I’m sure it’s nothing new. Just new to me seeing parts from China. What other Cessna, or possibly Beechcraft items should I expect to see from China now that they are both under the Textron roof?

Last edited:
Maybe the Chinese translators can work their magic on the FARs...

China pretty much owns all of GA aircraft and parts production now. Flight schools aren’t far behind.

We decided a few decades ago that “the market will decide a companies future.” Well…..it decided. Enjoy your Chinese parts and planes.

China is surpassing the US in many areas of science, technology, and engineering. Pretty soon the World will be buying the Chinese tech as superior to ours. The bureaucrats and politicians in the US have systematically destroyed this country.

Absolutely disgusting. We are on the fast track to oblivion and it didn’t start yesterday. Sorry for the thread drift.

In the 80's we thought that Japan would be overtaking us. Now we are concerned with China. I believe the U.S. can compete and win in the global economy but it takes leadership. We ain't had none of that for a bunch of years ...

It’s sad. We’re paying inflated Cessna prices for genuine parts and receiving this. It’s not like we’re bargain shopping here! Are they not making enough money on simple parts that they have to go and produce in China? I wish they were somehow required to disclose the origin prior to the purchase.

It’s sad. We’re paying inflated Cessna prices for genuine parts and receiving this. It’s not like we’re bargain shopping here! Are they not making enough money on simple parts that they have to go and produce in China? I wish they were somehow required to disclose the origin prior to the purchase.

Corporations have shifted focus away from employee and customer happiness and have focused 100% on shareholder profit. When that happened, there can never be “enough.”

Corporations have shifted focus away from employee and customer happiness and have focused 100% on shareholder profit. When that happened, there can never be “enough.”
To be fair, people wanting to be paid exorbitant wages for work that can be learned in a few weeks of OJT surely hasn't helped.

Don’t be blaming this on anyone other than ourselves. Very few of us are without blame.

Own a popular mutual fund? 401k? IRA? Invest in equities? Guilty (as am I). Ask for higher and higher shareholder value...you can’t get something for nothing. Reward the best return, f the cost, it’s all about percentages.

I’ve worked for 4 NYSE listed companies, and have been high enough in those organizations to work with our executive ranks. I now work for a non-US company, and I can tell you the focus on the long-game is different enough that it’s obvious. Maybe the 4 others vs this one is total coincidence, but having shared this revelation with others with similar experience, I think I’m right.

Still a capitalist, but wondering if I’ve taken it over the top...

Not everyone only looks at the next quarter.

tookur jerr! :D

I assume the FAA has people assigned there to watch over the quality/pma/whatever manufacturing process? ... maybe the same vigilant souls who were workin the 787? what could possibly go wrong...

To be fair, people wanting to be paid exorbitant wages for work that can be learned in a few weeks of OJT surely hasn't helped.
It’s not production wages that are the difficulty - admin, compliance and bureaucratic hands that are out that want a cut of what production produces. The consumer isn’t willing to pay those folks.

The 2022 model Cessna 172 is going to cost almost half a million, but a majority of the parts are made in China... Quite the profit margin they got going there I betcha.

Absolutely disgusting. We are on the fast track to oblivion and it didn’t start yesterday. Sorry for the thread drift.
77% of Baltimore City High School students are reading at elementary school levels, some at kindergarten, first and second grade levels. In half of the high schools, there is not a single student "proficient" in math according to state standards.

assume the FAA has people assigned there to watch over the quality/pma/whatever manufacturing process? ... maybe the same vigilant souls who were workin the 787? what could possibly go wrong...
Ha, in a perfect world maybe. The feds sorta work indirectly for the corporate money. I’ve been involved in that side of the business many times. Even wore the federal hat for a while. Good folks, and they want to see a standard, but they have to allow the major corporations a LOT of lead-way to “develop” and operate their own compliance department:)

Attached are pics of my new Chinese Cessna part.

Attachments

• 43B2551A-1017-4C3D-B43E-1FC1AABE2807.jpeg
    43B2551A-1017-4C3D-B43E-1FC1AABE2807.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 77
  • F975CBC2-7932-4808-9CAB-91A99FE6C371.jpeg
    F975CBC2-7932-4808-9CAB-91A99FE6C371.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
I'm always amused at people who bemoan the made in somewhere other than here products. Yet those are the first people who complain at the cost of the made in USA products and smiling ear to ear when they install their sub $1,000 super wide screen, super high definition TV.

And like Dale, I recall the 70's and 80's when you heard "Japan is taking all our jobs" and how the Japanese products are all junk.

In 20 years maybe it'll be India or someplace in South America that we complain about.

77% of Baltimore City High School students are reading at elementary school levels, some at kindergarten, first and second grade levels. In half of the high schools, there is not a single student "proficient" in math according to state standards.
Can we blame that on the Chinese as well? Maybe the Wuhan virus caused Americans to become stupid.

Can we blame that on the Chinese as well? Maybe the Wuhan virus caused Americans to become stupid.

Maybe the virus is an indirect contributor, at least.

Since COVID, home schooling and private school enrollment have increased dramatically. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that many of the students who have conscientious parents who care about their learning are no longer in the public schools and are not part of that statistic. If you take the high performers out of the public schools, the schools’ performance numbers will become worse.

There are of course many other reasons for declining school performance. If I mention them, though, the thread will likely be locked.

nope. but it did cause craving for TP

Why does the tag say “Country of origin: USA,” when the part itself is stamped China?
Because when Textron received that Chinese "raw material" it wasn't considered a part yet probably due to some minor machining or other finish work. Once it was completed and became a part it was in the US. Old game, new players.

Why does the tag say “Country of origin: USA,” when the part itself is stamped China?
Because when Textron received that Chinese "raw material" it wasn't considered a part yet probably due to some minor machining or other finish work. Once it was completed and became a part it was in the US. Old game, new players.
I thought about this also. It’s all speculation, but I’m guessing they did very little in the USA if it’s engraved “China”. What does “country of origin even mean?” The part was designed here in the USA. It originates from the design phase.

It’s all speculation, but I’m guessing they did very little in the USA if it’s engraved “China”. What does “country of origin even mean?”
Actually the opposite. Unless there is a "substantial transformation" done to the part it must retain its original origin designation. For example with your fitting, it's possible the original fitting was produced in China to a Textron spec then shipped to to the US. Subsequently that fitting is remachined to its present form per another spec. If that "new" fitting is substantially different in form than the original they can then change the "country of origin" to the US. This type of repurposing standard parts into "OEM" parts happens somewhat regularly with AN type fitting, AN bolts, etc. where OEM alters or adds something to that standard part. But there's a whole CFR Part under Customs on "country of origin" markings and their specific meanings. I can probably find it if you want to study up on what they had to go through to change that "country of origin.":)

“…I wish they were somehow required to disclose the origin prior to the purchase.” Me too. Also wish we had country of origin labels on medications.

China is surpassing the US in many areas of science, technology, and engineering. Pretty soon the World will be buying the Chinese tech as superior to ours. The bureaucrats and politicians in the US have systematically destroyed this country.
No, they are not.

China is still a third world country with a few modern-ish cities. They only tech they get is from overseas that need the cheap labor. A very small part of China is Beijing/Shenzhen. Most is still subsistence farming or low skilled factory workers. The schools are so bad in China that most companies have to train new hires for weeks on tool usage, following directions etc. Remember folks, kids in China never ask questions in class because questions mean that the teacher didn't do their job properly... and teachers are gov't employees.

I'll wait while someone comes up with a modern tech that China developed 100% in country.

Sad fact is that the ordinary Chinese people are decent enough folks... but the Communist party/corruption is so rampant and in control of every facet of daily life.

My little personal anecdote: the only reason my step-daughter didn't get into that prestigious Beijing Opera school is because the hong bao we offered was not as thick as the parents of the girl that DID get into that school.

As always there are so many point a and b when it comes to any discussion about China.

Tech they invented? Why do you think Huawei was locked out of chip supplies? Was it because they stole all that 5G tech or was it because they were pushing out everyone else with their own r&d? This is of course ignoring the original debate about if they stole to start the company. That said you could argue way back western countries started their course to dominance via taking Chinese gunpowder tech forward in a way China never envisioned. And it’ll be a ever ending discussion.

China is also going ahead on a lot of AI r&d. Their hypersonic weapons has the Pentagon worried. I’d say to label the country as a “third world” risks underestimating at your own peril.

I’d say it’s important to know that in an adversarial relationship. Who owns what intellectual properties is a moot point. Your only hope is to try and keep things secret or out pace your adversary. The former’s a solution that just can’t apply to open commerce for majority of tech today as you still want to sell stuff to the world.

Is China a country with problems? For sure. However, it’s a big country with lots of people there are just as large a percentage of undereducated people in America as there are in China. The difference really is the average wealth. And just because someone’s richer it doesn’t make them smarter. There are plenty of extremely well educated and smart folks in China. And like anywhere else you only need a few of those to make huge leaps in technical development, given the right conditions.

Are they taught in a less modern ways in school? Yeah. Just one problem. How exactly were people taught in the 1800s or 1900s in Europe and America? That didn’t turn out too badly did it?

Back