Cessna made in China

None of that tech was organic to China. They just have a much looser liability system that allows faster to market than in the US. Business liability insurance is not a thing in China. If a member of the Party accepts your bribe, then you get to go ahead with your business idea.

Of everything in that fluff piece, not a single core piece of tech was originated in China.

So im still waiting....

As always there are so many point a and b when it comes to any discussion about China.

Tech they invented? Why do you think Huawei was locked out of chip supplies? Was it because they stole all that 5G tech or was it because they were pushing out everyone else with their own r&d? This is of course ignoring the original debate about if they stole to start the company. That said you could argue way back western countries started their course to dominance via taking Chinese gunpowder tech forward in a way China never envisioned. And it’ll be a ever ending discussion.

China is also going ahead on a lot of AI r&d. Their hypersonic weapons has the Pentagon worried. I’d say to label the country as a “third world” risks underestimating at your own peril.

I’d say it’s important to know that in an adversarial relationship. Who owns what intellectual properties is a moot point. Your only hope is to try and keep things secret or out pace your adversary. The former’s a solution that just can’t apply to open commerce for majority of tech today as you still want to sell stuff to the world.

Is China a country with problems? For sure. However, it’s a big country with lots of people there are just as large a percentage of undereducated people in America as there are in China. The difference really is the average wealth. And just because someone’s richer it doesn’t make them smarter. There are plenty of extremely well educated and smart folks in China. And like anywhere else you only need a few of those to make huge leaps in technical development, given the right conditions.

Are they taught in a less modern ways in school? Yeah. Just one problem. How exactly were people taught in the 1800s or 1900s in Europe and America? That didn’t turn out too badly did it?

The US was Flying hypersonic aircraft while Mao was starving his people and jailing his intellectuals. During the 60s and 70s the US put a man on the moon, revolutionized the computer and medical knowledge. Mao was cleansing the country of the intellectuals. I don't hate China. But I won't sugar coat how stupid the government was/is.

Nothing you said is relevant. China simply steals what it needs. The schos in China are a joke and the papers they publish are garbage or plagerized.

Are their smart people in China? Of course. But the system does not create thinkers. Primary schools are about memorizing Maos biography and even though they can do math, they don't know how to solve a problem. They can only regurgitate formulas.

My step daughter was born and raised in the Chinese system. At 18 she was socially comparable to a 12 year old. She was trained in classical Chinese music in university, but other that playing the music in the classes she was horrible at creating new melodies. Her classes were rote repetition, not LEARNING music theory.

The US was Flying hypersonic aircraft while Mao was starving his people and jailing his intellectuals. During the 60s and 70s the US put a man on the moon, revolutionized the computer and medical knowledge. Mao was cleansing the country of the intellectuals. I don't hate China. But I won't sugar coat how stupid the government was/is.

Nothing you said is relevant. China simply steals what it needs. The schos in China are a joke and the papers they publish are garbage or plagerized.

Are their smart people in China? Of course. But the system does not create thinkers. Primary schools are about memorizing Maos biography and even though they can do math, they don't know how to solve a problem. They can only regurgitate formulas.

My step daughter was born and raised in the Chinese system. At 18 she was socially comparable to a 12 year old. She was trained in classical Chinese music in university, but other that playing the music in the classes she was horrible at creating new melodies. Her classes were rote repetition, not LEARNING music theory.
Not to mention the fact that communism is the opposite of our basic societal ideal and will always be our enemy.

Sprint missile, early 1970s. Mach 10, 100g acceleration.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprint_(missile)

The US has understood the principles - physics, material science, aerodynamics, flight controls, propulsion, etc. - of hypersonic flight for many decades.

None of that tech was organic to China. They just have a much looser liability system that allows faster to market than in the US. Business liability insurance is not a thing in China. If a member of the Party accepts your bribe, then you get to go ahead with your business idea.

Of everything in that fluff piece, not a single core piece of tech was originated in China.

So im still waiting....

Edit ... :rolleyes1:

…I’d say to label the country as a “third world” risks underestimating at your own peril….
Classically, China is second world aligned but declares itself a developing nation to gain advantageous trade purposes. 94% of their exports are manufactured goods. Trade in services is a decimal point move or two below trade in goods. Take away port and maritime shipping capability and roughly 25% of their services exports disappear. They import roughly 50% more in services than export and foreign direct investment is a net inflow.

While they should not be underestimated, keep in mind China also has a long tail when it deals with population imbalances related to the one child policy that will increasingly impact the country over the next 50 years.

I wish they were somehow required to disclose the origin prior to the purchase.
Would it matter anyway? If that's the only source for the part, would you stop flying your plane until they start making the part in America again? We can stop all this by refusing to buy anything made in China, but we aren't willing to disrupt our lives to do it.

How long did you live in China and where at?

Would it matter anyway? If that's the only source for the part, would you stop flying your plane until they start making the part in America again? We can stop all this by refusing to buy anything made in China, but we aren't willing to disrupt our lives to do it.

It would matter, for me anyway. This part could have been sourced from another vendor. Guessing I could have ordered a standard fitting. I didn’t check options.

And during WWII those Japanese pilots couldn’t see because of their slanted eyes. 80 years later China has a space program.

My company has a lot of labor in China. I have four buyers there that work for me. If I were to replace them with buyers here in the US, it would cost me twice as much and then I'd have to pay them a premium to work at night so they could call the vendors in China. That would cause your favorite products to go up in price so much that you wouldn't buy them and we'd lose jobs in the US.

I remember when I went to El Paso back in the early 90s and saw Ford & GM plants on each side of the border. Turns out they were doing a lot of work in Mexico. They never said their products were made in the United States of America... they just said Made in America, which was the truth.

Wow- so much wrong in that post. Students who come here are so much better prepared for the sciences. I'm writing a paper with someone in China now, definitely NOT plagiarized, and she added a lot of original thought and contributions.

Years past I was an engineer at a telecom company. We would by our microprocessors from the local sales people. Regardless of where you bought for an example an Intel Pentium or the AMD knockoff it came from the same APAC silicon foundry. We were being cost squeezed by competitors and we eventually bought directly from China instead of US sales people. China has less overhead in the pipeline. To buy in the US there is the warehouse, distributors, sales office, salesmen smoozing customers and getting a commission on every order. This cut our cost by 70%. This is not to say removing overhead works for every product but in our case we needed Pentiums. We did not need a sales person knocking on the door every week bearing gifts to smooze with us. Given the semiconductor industry is automated the labor cost between the US and China would be close to the same. However when you setup shop in the US you bring along all the overhead, just the way we do business here.

Back