CA Man Gets Prison for Piloting Private Jets without a Type Rating

Not without a type rating. Without a pilot certificate. It had been revoked earlier because he didn't have a type rating.

The government just doesn't let anyone have any fun any more...:p

But who was giving him access to these aircraft? Seems like the owner(s) are just as guilty. Maybe he was the owner?

But who was giving him access to these aircraft? Seems like the owner(s) are just as guilty. Maybe he was the owner?
That is a good question. Insurance would certainly be invalidated. There were at least two planes involved (a Citation and a Falcon 10). Stupid (ex) pilot tricks.

Not without a type rating. Without a pilot certificate. It had been revoked earlier because he didn't have a type rating.
Well that explains the prison time and the fine!

Impressive that he managed to fly the aircraft without proper training, even more impressive that he manages to get access to not only a citation but a falcon....not good, yet kind of impressive.

Impressive that he managed to fly the aircraft without proper training, even more impressive that he manages to get access to not only a citation but a falcon....not good, yet kind of impressive.

He had previously held certificates that were yanked quite some time before this. I haven't seen what he was typed in, but have seen no solid evidence either way that he was "without proper training".

After he lost the original certs, he certainly wasn't legal or current, but none of the articles I've read yet describe what the certs were and the type ratings were on them originally long ago.

This one is more of a "pilot had certificates, lost them, kept flying anyway" than a true "Catch Me If You Can" scenario, as best as I can tell.

Interesting, we'd often been musing about what they'd do to someone for flying without a valid certificate. I guess this is the what.

He had previously held certificates that were yanked quite some time before this. I haven't seen what he was typed in, but have seen no solid evidence either way that he was "without proper training".

After he lost the original certs, he certainly wasn't legal or current, but none of the articles I've read yet describe what the certs were and the type ratings were on them originally long ago.

This one is more of a "pilot had certificates, lost them, kept flying anyway" than a true "Catch Me If You Can" scenario, as best as I can tell.

Makes more sense. Kind of like a "driving on a suspended license" kind of deal.

It's pretty obvious that he had prior experience, so it's not that impressive. It's safe to say he isn't the only one in hot water, the owner(s) are just as guilty.

He also flew the Falcon 10 solo when it's a 2-pilot airplane. You would be in trouble for doing that even if you had all the appropriate certificates and ratings.

It's pretty obvious that he had prior experience, so it's not that impressive. It's safe to say he isn't the only one in hot water, the owner(s) are just as guilty.

Doubt they'll do any jail time, though.

Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me if the passengers threaten to push litigation.

Looked in one article like it was mostly repositioning / ferry flights. Didn't see any mention of passengers.

Looked in one article like it was mostly repositioning / ferry flights. Didn't see any mention of passengers.
It's mentioned in the above article's subtitle as well as the second paragraph.

"In January 2015, Leto took paying passengers from Santa Monica, California, to Phoenix, despite never having received a type rating for a turbojet-powered aircraft. For that trip, he served as the sole pilot of a Cessna Citation."

Last edited:

"Leto’s final flight came on April 8, 2016, when he was the sole pilot of a twin-engine Falcon 10 on a trip from Van Nuys Airport in L.A. to Las Vegas, on which there were eight passengers. By this point, the FAA had already revoked what pilot certifications he had. Leto never received a Falcon 10 type rating, which in this case, according to the criminal complaint, requires two pilots."

It's mentioned in the above article's subtitle as well as the second paragraph.

"In January 2015, Leto took paying passengers from Santa Monica, California, to Phoenix, despite never having received a type rating for a turbojet-powered aircraft. For that trip, he served as the sole pilot of a Cessna Citation."

Haha I've only read the other sources. Wow.

"Leto’s final flight came on April 8, 2016, when he was the sole pilot of a twin-engine Falcon 10 on a trip from Van Nuys Airport in L.A. to Las Vegas, on which there were eight passengers. By this point, the FAA had already revoked what pilot certifications he had. Leto never received a Falcon 10 type rating, which in this case, according to the criminal complaint, requires two pilots."

Yeee haw. No wonder they went after him so hard. That dude is the barefoot bandit of bizjets.

Dude was flying a two-pilot airplane, solo, without even a type rating. That is insanely scary

It's not hard to fly a jet without the specific training, it's just hard to fly it correctly.
If nothing goes wrong, the PAX would never be the wiser.

Interesting, we'd often been musing about what they'd do to someone for flying without a valid certificate. I guess this is the what.
I wouldn't say this is typical.

One aircraft I had considered purchasing had been damaged at a fly-in when a non-certificated pilot ground looped it (Per NTSB). Doing a little digging, it appears that the guy who owned / wrecked it got his certificate after the accident and continued to fly the airplane (after repairs, of course). If there were any fines involved, it wasn't obvious from the sources I dug up.

It appears that the latest time, some line guy he ****ed off earlier who knew he was revoked and that he solo'd the Falcon 10 turned him in.

No type rating.
SIngle pilot in multipilot aircraft
No 135 certificate
Not current
Used fake N number
THEN the revocation
then more flying.

Here's a complaint. The guy is a real piece of work.

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/download.html?id=237101623&z=7ced8c6d[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he also went 1500 nm XC solo without endorsement delivering something somewhere

Ok, I keep reading about the supposed theoretical "1500nm XC solo" that apparently has become legendary. Would somebody give me a link to the thread where it was introduced into POA folklore?

Ok, I keep reading about the supposed theoretical "1500nm XC solo" that apparently has become legendary. Would somebody give me a link to the thread where it was introduced into POA folklore?

It's part of this multipage thread started by azblackbird who at the time had not taken even his first lesson and took exception to those who advised that a 1500 mile xc as a student pilot was unwise.

Here's one of the quotes and it will link you to the thread.

Flying (just as anything else deemed risky by the PC crowd) is all about knowing your limits. If my CFI thinks I'm ready, and if I think I'm ready, then I don't really see what the big deal is. It's not like I would be flying to NY or anything. Heck, I'd even settle for doing a 1500 mile loop and just stay in the state of AZ. I could easily do that just as well. That way if something s**t the bed it would be no more than a few hours drive for a mechanic or CFI to come rescue me or the plane.

You'll never get those hours back though....

It appears that the latest time, some line guy he ****ed off earlier who knew he was revoked and that he solo'd the Falcon 10 turned him in.

No type rating.
SIngle pilot in multipilot aircraft
No 135 certificate
Not current
Used fake N number
THEN the revocation
then more flying.

Here's a complaint. The guy is a real piece of work.

https://www.plainsite.org/dockets/download.html?id=237101623&z=7ced8c6d

So the jail time was for a violation of title 49
46317. Criminal penalty for pilots operating in air transportation without an airman's certificate
(a) General Criminal Penalty.—An individual shall be fined under title 18 or imprisoned for not more than 3 years, or both, if that individual—

(1) knowingly and willfully serves or attempts to serve in any capacity as an airman operating an aircraft in air transportation without an airman's certificate authorizing the individual to serve in that capacity; or

(2) knowingly and willfully employs for service or uses in any capacity as an airman to operate an aircraft in air transportation an individual who does not have an airman's certificate authorizing the individual to serve in that capacity.​

Not for a violation of the FARs (title 14)

You can't get jail time for violating the FARs directly, just "civil penalties" (fines) and certificate action.

So the jail time was for a violation of title 49
46317. Criminal penalty for pilots operating in air transportation without an airman's certificate
Not for a violation of the FARs (title 14)

I wanted to ask what crime he was charged with but I was afraid it would look bad :goofy:

How'd they get "ten years" out of that statute above that is three year limited? Multiple counts?

Now we know why California wants to secede = they're just trying to save the trees- all that paperwork. Completely unnecessary.

He seems to have been given a lot of chances to straighten up, and this was basically the "You have blatantly disregarded everything" punishment. I suspect if he'd been caught flying a 172 around for fun then he wouldn't have gotten as severe of punishment. But flying a 2-pilot aircraft as a single pilot, having had his pilot certs revoked (following other infractions), with paying passengers without a 135 cert?

He got a lot of chances...

Now we know why California wants to secede = they're just trying to save the trees- all that paperwork. Completely unnecessary.
The people who were pushing secession were doing it because the Russians told them to!

It is a Citation anybody can fly one without any training, it is easier than a C-172. Trust me I am typed in one and stayed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Astonishing is what I would call it. You can't fly a Cessna 150 in my flying club without showing all your certificates and getting a checkout.

Back