This survey is VERY problematic. I see no indication of informed consent. If the students professor receives even a dime of Federal money, or if his institution receives even a dime of Federal money the guy in charge is in some pretty serious trouble if this gets back to the wrong people.
What survey? So don’t reply...please. making a mountain out of a molehill.

Probably not really problematic. It appears HIMS is funded under a research grant, which prohibits the use of humans as guinea pigs... yet no one cares. Can’t see this actually gaining enough attention to cause a problem.

Probably not really problematic. It appears HIMS is funded under a research grant, which prohibits the use of humans as guinea pigs... yet no one cares. Can’t see this actually gaining enough attention to cause a problem.
Depends on the IRB wherever the student is. I've seen these things go very wrong.

Because the bad actions later aren't limited by the earlier choices?
Like what if the stall/spin occurred in part because of a known maintenance issue that was taken into the air, f’rinstance?

No they aren't. I'd argue you could get away with impaired flying easier than you could impaired driving. Either way, all pilots know their certificate is in jeopardy whenever they drink and drive. Those who continue anyway do so at their own jeopardy.

Thankfully the younger generation hasn't normalized drinking and driving in a way that the generation of many of the pilots here have.

My point is that it isn't so much 'getting away with it' as much as the consequences are more severe. No, the FAA is not sending out chase planes with breathalyzers on them, you're right.

To me, driving is like walking but you're in a car but you better be more careful. No I don't condone drunk driving but what I am saying is that I would be unwilling to fly when I would legally be allowed to drive, drinking wise. Does that make sense?

My point is that it isn't so much 'getting away with it' as much as the consequences are more severe. No, the FAA is not sending out chase planes with breathalyzers on them, you're right.

To me, driving is like walking but you're in a car but you better be more careful. No I don't condone drunk driving but what I am saying is that I would be unwilling to fly when I would legally be allowed to drive, drinking wise. Does that make sense?
I understand what you are saying but I make different choices. I treat flying and driving the same. I’m not telling you that your choices are bad just that my choices make it much harder to drive after having just one more than I should...

I understand what you are saying but I make different choices. I treat flying and driving the same. I’m not telling you that your choices are bad just that my choices make it much harder to drive after having just one more than I should...

Sure, I get that. I've been driving since I was thirteen. I've been flying since my late thirties. Maybe I'm in the wrong, I don't know. I probably am. But trust me, you want me to be the guy you have to deal with on the highway instead of the meth head that has no regard for life.

Sure, I get that. I've been driving since I was thirteen. I've been flying since my late thirties. Maybe I'm in the wrong, I don't know. I probably am. But trust me, you want me to be the guy you have to deal with on the highway instead of the meth head that has no regard for life.
I’ve seen the consequences of meth heads, drunks, phone users and chronically fatigued drivers. Until the toxicology comes back they all look the same. Don’t mis understand me. I am not insinuating that your choices are wrong or mine are better. I’m just saying that my decisions are different because I manage my risk the best way for me. It’s not my job to make your decisions. I’m sure there are activities I have no problems with that you would probably decide against enjoying.

Eight feet bottle to throttle. That's been my observation.

Good thing I quit drinking over 20 years ago. No flies on me.

I guess my point was that the odds of your pilot being intoxicated are about the same as your pilot being a serious criminal ... :rolleyes:
Anecdotally probably lower. I’ve never had a pilot come to work drunk but I’ve had several coworkers arrested for various felonies to include they one you linked above.

I'm a university student conducting research on alcohol consumption and airline pilots (drunk flying) If you are an airline pilot, please take some time to answer these questions. these questions are for research purposes only. Any response will be useful. Thank you.

Do pilots still attempt to fly aircraft under the influence of alcohol?

Do you believe that alcohol consumption should be monitored more in the aviation industry?

If the procedure of a mandatory breathalyzer came into place before each flight, what would your thoughts be?
1. No
2. No
3. Pilots are already subject to random drug and alcohol screening

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If I was your professor and saw that your data came from random postings on "pilotsofamerica.com" with no vetting if the people actually replying are airline pilots, you'd not be passing the course.

I have to agree. Regarding the suggestion the methodology would be acceptable for a college freshman, no. This is a good example of how education has devolved into a farce that allows students to utilize the internet for all forms of investigation, research, composition, vocabulary, and grammar.

It would be interesting to see the bibliography of a current graduate level term paper or even a doctoral thesis. I have every confidence that if the references in the documents were used to make a Google search, the results would exactly match the contents of those references.

Back