Bought my first gun today! Side note

An Academy classmate was on a cutter commissioned in 1943 which still had its original allotment of 20 Singers. What a treasure trove, I wonder what happened to them when the USCG went to the 9mm??? :dunno:

Sadly they were most likely cut up and destroyed. :(

By the way Jack, an employee of mine when I worked in Groton/New London was Chief of the Boat of The Eagle.

Really considering the Kimber 1911 Eclipse II Target for 800 literally only a few bullets went through it.. They also have a used Colt 1911 A1 for sale pristine condition one tiny little surface scratch and also few rounds through it for 650.00 very interesting not sure which to go with..

Really considering the Kimber 1911 Eclipse II Target for 800 literally only a few bullets went through it.. They also have a used Colt 1911 A1 for sale pristine condition one tiny little surface scratch and also few rounds through it for 650.00 very interesting not sure which to go with..

I have a couple of Colt 1911's. Not "A1's" either, but WWI configuration "repros". The Colt is the real deal. Kimber, meh. Their early pistols were good, later not so much.

DSC01187.jpg

Guns are like Lays Potato chips.

You cannot stop at just one.

I started buying when I was 33. I have an extensive collection.

Now that I fly, I rarely buy. I do shoot, but not as often as I used to.

My neighbors refer to my house as 'the armory'.

I have some friends that do not believe in owning a gun, but have told me that if there is ever a problem (poop hitting the fan), they will ask me for one.

I have a couple of Colt 1911's. Not "A1's" either, but WWI configuration "repros". The Colt is the real deal. Kimber, meh. Their early pistols were good, later not so much.

DSC01187.jpg

Wow first guy to say that about the Kimber seems like everyone revers this Kimber..

Wow first guy to say that about the Kimber seems like everyone revers this Kimber..

Actually.. in recent years it seems the quality of Kimbers has been slipping.

They used to be the Rolex watch of 1911's gorgeous to look at and great to shoot. If you want the looks get the Kimber. Otherwise youre better off with a reliable cheaper Colt.

Actually.. in recent years it seems the quality of Kimbers has been slipping.

They used to be the Rolex watch of 1911's gorgeous to look at and great to shoot. If you want the looks get the Kimber. Otherwise youre better off with a reliable cheaper Colt.
And to top it off, their customer service is in the pooper too. If you get a gun with a manufacturing defect that the factory needs to fix, good luck getting it done inside of a couple months. I've heard of some guys taking close to a year from initial contact to fix something that Colt, Smith, Springfield, ect would accomplish in a week.

Quite a shame too, 'cuz I've been drooling over a Stainless Raptor II for some time, but don't want to get wrapped up in something that may cause me a bit more money and headaches down the line.

And to top it off, their customer service is in the pooper too. If you get a gun with a manufacturing defect that the factory needs to fix, good luck getting it done inside of a couple months. I've heard of some guys taking close to a year from initial contact to fix something that Colt, Smith, Springfield, ect would accomplish in a week.

Quite a shame too, 'cuz I've been drooling over a Stainless Raptor II for some time, but don't want to get wrapped up in something that may cause me a bit more money and headaches down the line.

I agree wholeheartedly. I drool at the Kimbers in all the magazines and then go :dunno:

So it may have been good i didnt impulse buy that kimber at a good deal 1350 gun for 800 seriously never shot may just go for their used colt that was also like nearly not shot or im looking at a brand new Springfield Loaded for about the same price and its got the exact look im looking for and its brand new.. for around 850 or the mil spec for 750..

I've been researching buying my first firearms, too. Strongly considering a Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm full size for personal protection, and a Ruger 22/45 rim fire pistol for plinking and cheap target practice...

I sweated a few gallons on deck there. :D Beautiful ship.

Cool another Coastie! I'm SAR controlling as we speak at Sector Hampton Roads.

The Eagle was a German ship. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

Sorry for thread hijack! OP, the Ruger 22 is a great choice for plinking! I recently paid a few extra $$ for the Mossy Oak model at Bass Pro for no other reason than it looks good IMO:)

Cheers,

Tony

Always been a fan of the 40cal SVI Infinitys

SVI_Infinity.jpg

(not mine but similar)

For flying a Remi 870 marine magnum like this one (with the speed feed rear stock)
pop_wm_4432662.jpg

You can load 3" 12g magnum rounds (buck and/or slugs) which will take out any critter you may encounter in the backcountry, load birdshot to bag food if you get stuck somewhere in a pinch, can even keep some 12G Orion flares for signaling in that stock, it's stainless and short so it'll work in something like a float PA18 without eating realestate or going to chit.

Add one of those floating soft cases to keep it in and maybe a small surefire light and you got a great flying firearm.

Last edited:
Always been a fan of the 40cal SVI Infinitys

(not mine but similar)
I've heard some good things about Infinities, but not a whole lot. How are they? By the looks of most I've seen they make some pretty sweet looking race guns.

One thing to consider is ammo cost. 500 22lr is about $20. 50 9mm are roughly $15. If cost is an issue to you the 22lr gives you way more "bangs" pun intended for the buck. Nothing better than a 22 for shooting paper. 22 for shooting people not so much.

Some of the newer 45ACP handguns have nice 22LR barrel conversion kits so you can teach yourself how to shoot with the same weapon, same trigger pull, same muscle memory for locations of things, and then swap back to the 45ACP on the same frame.

Kinda nice. Can't say as I have one of those setups yet, but it's tempting at today's ammo prices.

.22LR conversion kits are available for many pistols today including the 1911. The Marvel unit is the best, but others make them as well. I don't have one, but I do have the CZ Kadet Kit .22 conversion that pretty much lives on my 9MM CZ-75B. It is very accurate, and reliable coming close to my Ruger MK II's in accuracy which is saying a lot.

Sorry for thread hijack! OP, the Ruger 22 is a great choice for plinking! I recently paid a few extra $$ for the Mossy Oak model at Bass Pro for no other reason than it looks good IMO:)

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks and how do you like the mossy almost bought a cheap shotgun from them seemed a little plasticy the 88 but it was 159

Some of the newer 45ACP handguns have nice 22LR barrel conversion kits so you can teach yourself how to shoot with the same weapon, same trigger pull, same muscle memory for locations of things, and then swap back to the 45ACP on the same frame.

Kinda nice. Can't say as I have one of those setups yet, but it's tempting at today's ammo prices.

Good point but don't tell my wife that is possible. I would rather have a second gun. Hehehe..:D
As far a 22 pistols go the Ruger MK II is hard to beat and would be my first choice for a plinker.
My S&W sigma 9mm is on my what was I thinking wish I had never bought it list.

One thing to consider is ammo cost. 500 22lr is about $20. 50 9mm are roughly $15. If cost is an issue to you the 22lr gives you way more "bangs" pun intended for the buck. Nothing better than a 22 for shooting paper. 22 for shooting people not so much.

Amen to the cost, and I'll just leave it at .22LR is still a preferred round for assassination because with the single shot bolt variants available, it can truly be silenced. There isn't a caliber bullet that can't kill a man when placed correctly or carelessly.

Colt 1911 45. You'll end up buying one sooner or later. Might as well enjoy it now. Don't worry about the recoil. It's a big old pussycat and you'll have no trouble emptying two boxes of ammo at the range.

Indeed. And you can stop at two boxes? :D

Guns are like Lays Potato chips.

You cannot stop at just one.

I started buying when I was 33. I have an extensive collection.

Now that I fly, I rarely buy. I do shoot, but not as often as I used to.

My neighbors refer to my house as 'the armory'.

I have some friends that do not believe in owning a gun, but have told me that if there is ever a problem (poop hitting the fan), they will ask me for one.

The safe is nearly full. You cannot stop at just one (guns or, apparantly, safes). :D

Thanks and how do you like the mossy almost bought a cheap shotgun from them seemed a little plasticy the 88 but it was 159

Bass Pro's gun department in Hampton, VA sucks IMO. It's so close I always go there and it was an impulse buy. My mom and pop stores here in Suffolk, VA are second to none. I love the Mossy Oak Ruger. I don't get that Plasticy feel off it and I thought maybe I would having grown up with the wood stocks.

Here is a link to one just like it. http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11303...r-10-22-full-mossy-oak-camo-factory-new-.22lr

I'll probably buy the Cheap Mossy Oak scope at Wal-Mart and call it a day. You can mod these things until your hearts content though!

Mossberg has the 22 Plinkster that runs about 150ish. I've heard great things about it also if you wanted a cheaper 22.

Now I'm on the hunt for a gun that can really reach out and touch something!

Tony

Cheers,

Tony

Just an old one. :D

The safe is nearly full. You cannot stop at just one (guns or, apparantly, safes). :D

so far, just the one safe.

But I did take the 10/22 out and stuck it in a closet.

ok, ok, technically I have more than one safe because the 1911 is in a smal quick access safe. so never mind... :)

depends on your flavor of 1911, kimber has them, think springfield does too.

I've heard some good things about Infinities, but not a whole lot. How are they? By the looks of most I've seen they make some pretty sweet looking race guns.

I love mine, 5 inch, bomar/fiber optic sights, heavy bull barrel, snake skined side grips, snake belly top, french boarder, ed brown wide ambi saftey, etc, ,etc.

The down side is they are VERY expensive and take a while to get in, they are all made to order. I have also had to have a few adjustments made in the first 100 rounds, now it's a rock solid fast tack driver

Strayer Voigt really invented the modular framed 2011s (basically a double stack 1911).

Outside of SVI, second choice or CCW choice, would be a far more economical Sig 226 in 40/357Sig

Last edited:
I always find it kind of strange that people buy as their 1st gun a large-caliber handgun. I did it too, with a .40 caliber Glock. I quickly found it too big to conceal carry. Its also one of the worst choices for home defense, like most handguns. They are, by their nature, comparatively inaccurate and hold less rounds than a shotgun or rifle.

I always tell people to start with a truly easy to conceal weapon you can take everywhere. My personal choices are a S&W .38 638 when I have big pockets and a Ruger LCP .380 auto for shorts. Then get a good 18.5 inch shotgun,12 gauge, for home defense. I prefer a pump action Mossberg, all black, all business. No real concern about shooting the neighbors by accident when you are using buckshot inside your home.

If you like big handguns like the 1911, .40, .45, .357, etc, rest assured, so do I, but they are really only good for the range or for open carry. If you are expecting a fire fight, they are not your weapon of choice. If you unexpectedly encounter a fire fight, they will probably be in your center console because you got tired of walking around with a giant bulge in your pants.

My opinion only ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

I haven't bought a gun in about a decade, but since I'm an instructor and training counselor it looks like there are some newer models I should obtain for my students to use. Dang it I don't want to spend the money. At least some of the manufacturers offer discounts.

I always find it kind of strange that people buy as their 1st gun a large-caliber handgun. I did it too, with a .40 caliber Glock. I quickly found it too big to conceal carry. Its also one of the worst choices for home defense, like most handguns. They are, by their nature, comparatively inaccurate and hold less rounds than a shotgun or rifle.

I always tell people to start with a truly easy to conceal weapon you can take everywhere. My personal choices are a S&W .38 638 when I have big pockets and a Ruger LCP .380 auto for shorts. Then get a good 18.5 inch shotgun,12 gauge, for home defense. I prefer a pump action Mossberg, all black, all business. No real concern about shooting the neighbors by accident when you are using buckshot inside your home.

If you like big handguns like the 1911, .40, .45, .357, etc, rest assured, so do I, but they are really only good for the range or for open carry. If you are expecting a fire fight, they are not your weapon of choice. If you unexpectedly encounter a fire fight, they will probably be in your center console because you got tired of walking around with a giant bulge in your pants.

My opinion only ;)
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
If you get the right holster/clothing combination, combined with being aware of your movements and such, almost nothing is too big to conceal. I conceal my XD40 often, but normally open carry for comfort (and discounts at some local shops. Hell, once I borrowed my buddies .50 DEagle and concealed it wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Wasn't the least bit noticeable. Did the "experiment" again with a S&W500. Same outcome.

Not accurate?!? Sure, not at 100yds, but within a home, if you can't hit a human sized target, then your gun is waaaay out of whack, or you suck at shooting. Sure, they generally won't hold as much as some rifles like an AR, but what shotgun holds 15-30rds without any expensive magazine extensions which make them unwieldy? My XD40 has 25 rounds in the mag laying by the bed, and that cost about 5 bucks, verses the aforementioned expensive shotgun mag extensions.

Also, pistols are a better option over rifles for CQC, since you can corner without poking the barrel out. Pistol calibers are also generally better in terms of not having over-penetration, which is key if you live with others, or your house/apartment is close to other. That being said, I do have an AR at the ready with coupled mags, so I can choose between HPs that won't penetrate, and still give me the option to quickly change to AP SS109s should I need the penetration.

I always find it kind of strange that people buy as their 1st gun a large-caliber handgun.

My first was a Mosin-Nagant :)

The Moisin Nagant is a great rifle, and maybe the last greatest deals in milsurps out there. I have the M44 carbine version. The muzzle blast is.......impressive.

If you get the right holster/clothing combination, combined with being aware of your movements and such, almost nothing is too big to conceal. I conceal my XD40 often, but normally open carry for comfort (and discounts at some local shops. Hell, once I borrowed my buddies .50 DEagle and concealed it wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Wasn't the least bit noticeable. Did the "experiment" again with a S&W500. Same outcome.

Not accurate?!? Sure, not at 100yds, but within a home, if you can't hit a human sized target, then your gun is waaaay out of whack, or you suck at shooting. Sure, they generally won't hold as much as some rifles like an AR, but what shotgun holds 15-30rds without any expensive magazine extensions which make them unwieldy? My XD40 has 25 rounds in the mag laying by the bed, and that cost about 5 bucks, verses the aforementioned expensive shotgun mag extensions.

Sure, you *can* conceal a .50 desert eagle, or maybe a Blackhawk 44 with one of those holsters that buckles around your thigh under some really baggy jeans. You could probably wear a cape and hide a sawed-off shotgun strapped to your back, too. I don't think many people do, for every day carry. The most effective gun is always the one within arm's reach, whatever its caliber. If you're just buying one gun (which of course only leads to #2) it should be one you *will* carry everywhere, IMO.

And I know handguns can be accurate. But they require regular practice to stay that way. Give me the option, in the dark, at night, under stress, and I'd rather have something with a barrell 18" or longer when it comes to hitting a target. You don't see the door kickers in Iraq busting in with handguns as their primary weapon. They've got rifles with optics, for a reason.

If your job and lifestyle permit open carry, then by all means strap on a big old handgun and nobody is going to mess with you. In my line of work, that would be totally unacceptable, so I carry a .38. YMMV.

Bass Pro's gun department in Hampton, VA sucks IMO. It's so close I always go there and it was an impulse buy. My mom and pop stores here in Suffolk, VA are second to none. I love the Mossy Oak Ruger. I don't get that Plasticy feel off it and I thought maybe I would having grown up with the wood stocks.

Here is a link to one just like it. http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11303...r-10-22-full-mossy-oak-camo-factory-new-.22lr

I'll probably buy the Cheap Mossy Oak scope at Wal-Mart and call it a day. You can mod these things until your hearts content though!

Mossberg has the 22 Plinkster that runs about 150ish. I've heard great things about it also if you wanted a cheaper 22.

Now I'm on the hunt for a gun that can really reach out and touch something!

Tony

Remington semi-auto 30-06

Not as accurate as a bolt action but put a scope on it and its as good of a deer stand gun as anything else (around here, not many long shots)

Outside of deer season is where it shines.. shooting a semi auto 30-06 is pretty fun

Its also one of the worst choices for home defense, like most handguns. They are, by their nature, comparatively inaccurate and hold less rounds than a shotgun or rifle.
My reasoning is that a.) If the thing I'm shooting at is not close enough to reliably hit with a pistol, it's not enough of a threat to justify shooting; and b.) If the first 2 or 3 rounds don't do the job, 20 more probably aren't going to help much.

Now, I don't take that to the extreme of carrying a Derringer... but I'm not going to sweat not having an AR-15 and a bandolier under the mattress, either.

Back