Bought my first gun today! Side note

marcoseddi

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
marc
Totally off subject but another just started hobby is guns. Took my wife to shoot some handguns and now said a rifle would be fun to buy and dicks had a prett nice sale on a Ruger 10/22 seems to be a pretty good gun from recommendations and reviews. Mainly going to target practice and we are both starting out and thought it would be a great place for both us. Now I just have to become a member of the local range and go ahead and start shooting. Should be fun any other gun peope on here? Sure there are.

Last edited:
Totally off subject but another just started hobby is guns. Took my wife to shoot some handguns and now said a rifle would be fun to buy and dicks had a prett nice sale on a Ruger 10/22 seems to be a pretty good gun from recommendations and reviews. Mainly going to target practice and we are both starting out and thought it would be a great place for both us. Now I just have to become a member of the local range and go ahead and start shooting. Should be fun any other gun peope on here? Sure there are.
Good for you. Doesn't look like you live in the greatest state for it, but it can be an expensive hobby as well.

It's a hobby of mine too. I just bought myself a Christmas present at a gun show, but my wife says I can't shoot it yet and I have I wrap it up and put it under the tree. This is what I just got; it's a Rock Island Armory 1911 with a 3.5 inch barrel.
l2_pistols_rock_island_1911_a1_3.5_102204.jpg

P.S. and for future reference, topics like this belong in the "Hangar Talk" forum... Not in Pilot Training. I'm sure someone will be around to move this thread shortly.

ruger sells a 25 shot banana clip. I like using it b/c it's much easier to put 15 bullets into the 25 shot clip than ramming 8-10 bullets in the 10 shot clip. My finger tips would be sore after shooting through a few boxes. I also put a cheap 4x scope on it. It's a lot of fun and much much much cheaper than flying. :lol:

Good for you! The 10 22 is a great gun for plinking and what's cheaper to shoot then a 22! I've owned one for years and it has never failed me when I want to shoot.

I also enjoy the John Henry lever action 22.

Enjoy!!

P.S. and for future reference, topics like this belong in the "Hangar Talk" forum... Not in Pilot Training. I'm sure someone will be around to move this thread shortly.

actually, I think it belongs in pilot training. I heard that bringing a rifle to your written test and check ride greatly increases the pass rate. :rofl:

I wish I could do that. I live in NYC, and here to carry a gun, you must prove that you have extraordinary situation that requires you to carry one. If you want to own one and keep it only at home, it's extremely expensive, and requires a ton of paperwork.

I wish I could do that. I live in NYC, and here to carry a gun, you must prove that you have extraordinary situation that requires you to carry one. If you want to own one and keep it only at home, it's extremely expensive, and requires a ton of paperwork.

Carrying a 10/22 wouldnt be the wisest thing...

My uncle on Long Island owns a 10/22 and he was telling me how expensive it is to get any firearm.

It's a hobby of mine too. I just bought myself a Christmas present at a gun show, but my wife says I can't shoot it yet and I have I wrap it up and put it under the tree. .

Your wife is tough! :yikes:

David

ONE GUN! :hairraise: Oh god, you need to get more than ONE GUN!:hairraise: Nobody just has ONE GUN! :hairraise: Nobody I know has less than TEN!:hairraise:

No 25 round mag in NJ I just heard at Dicks I wish! That 1911 is beautiful I am also going to be getting a handgun as well have the permit for that which expires in about 50 days so I have to pick up something.. I do like revolvers and I may just get a 617 S&W because my wife likes that as well and she can shoot it trying to keep her happy as well.. But I do want something for home defense not that I need it but thats more important than the 22 revolver I think just to have for the 1 off time! Not sure yet what to get though. Don't want to too much bang, actually I do haha guns are certainly an expensive hobby I can see it happening already I want so many guns!!

Welcome to the world of firearms. Yep, I agree. Everyone should have more than one. It is a prerequisite here in Texas. Otherwise you can only stay on a temporary visa and have to leave after 6 months. :wink2::wink2::wink2:

Learn to be safe and have fun. I have enjoyed hunting and shooting for many, many years and is about equal to the pursuit of flying for me. If I am not working, sleeping or flying I am shooting.

NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Currently reading this while sitting in a deer blind with my Winchester 30-30 lever gun.

Cool - 10/22s are fun. I just added another rifle to my collection the other day, the AR-15:
mOS4I.jpg

Sounds like an opportunity for "Don't ask, don't tell."

But not impossible! I have one in NYC (premise only). Think it cost around $500 and took 4-6 months, including a few visits to 1PP. I conveniently happen to live only a few blocks from the only range in Manhattan so that works out in my favor. During the Sandy blackout, it was comforting to have a way to defend myself if need be, with law enforcement stretched so thin.

I baked my first cake today. A pink one.

:D

Do I see a sporterized Arisaka there?

Honestly I'm not sure what it is. I've never shot it. I do know that it belonged to my great great uncle and I know he made the stock and modified/made the barrel from something else.

The receiver defiantly has Japanese markings and it's not a caliber I'm familiar with. But I'm no firearms expert.

Currently reading this while sitting in a deer blind with my Winchester 30-30 lever gun.

My grandfather hunted with one of those for decades. Unfortunately he sold the gun to a good friend of his when he got too old to climb tree stands. I don't have the heart to ask the friend to buy it back from him since it's the only momento of my grandfather that the friend has. :(

My grandfather hunted with one of those for decades. Unfortunately he sold the gun to a good friend of his when he got too old to climb tree stands. I don't have the heart to ask the friend to buy it back from him since it's the only momento of my grandfather that the friend has. :(

otoh - he might understand your desire to buy your grandfather's gun. Or maybe he'll promise it to you later.

One of the kids just bought some kind of 600-yard super-scope sniper rifle with a name that starts with 6-something. We're going to shoot it tomorrow. He says you can knock a cockroach off a cow-turd a half-mile away.

I just had a talk this afternoon with my son-in-law. I told him that my dad had sold his guns without asking his kids whether or not they wanted them. I said I'd always give family the first right of refusal on any firearm I might want to sell.

ONE GUN! :hairraise: Oh god, you need to get more than ONE GUN!:hairraise: Nobody just has ONE GUN! :hairraise: Nobody I know has less than TEN!:hairraise:
:yes: :yeahthat: I havn't counted in years, but I'd venture I'm approachin' 'bout 40, but not all are in shootable condition.

Honestly I'm not sure what it is. I've never shot it. I do know that it belonged to my great great uncle and I know he made the stock and modified/made the barrel from something else.

The receiver defiantly has Japanese markings and it's not a caliber I'm familiar with. But I'm no firearms expert.

Does it have a picture of a 16 petal mum (flower) on it? I have not seen a bolt handle like that on a Jap rifle, but the chamber area look like their infantry rifle. Was your uncle in the war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwU6NUltkdQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
The Type 99 Arisaka has markings like this, but some were removed by the Japanese towards the end of the war.

DSC00293.jpg

Gun nut checking in.

...and the Ruger 10/22 doesn't take a clip, it takes a magazine.

Back