Bought my first gun today! Side note

I know you are kidding Jay, but for others, here's the difference.

Magazine-vs-Clip.jpg

a clip is exposed vs a magazine is enclosed?

a clip is exposed vs a magazine is enclosed?

A clip is used for loading a magazine. Some guns use the clip inside the magazine like the Garand which clip is showed all the way on the right.
Not to get too detailed or picky here but calling a mag a clip sounds kind of rednecky and is something the media does often. They also like to refer to any semi-auto rifle or carbine as either an AK47 or an Uzi. The same media idiots that refer to every propeller driven plane as a cessna and tell us that every crash was caused by the lack of a flight plan.
Welcome to the world or shooting.

Frank

^^^^^^Love it!

Frank's right. A clip is used to load a magazine. The M1 Garand Enbloc clip pictured on the right of my previous photo is used to "charge" the Garand's internal magazine. You can also use clips to charge external magazines like with an AR-15, instead of feeding the cartridges into the mag individually, a stripper clip is used, then the magazine is inserted into the rifle.

I know the difference as I have guns with internal magazines that I feed using a stripper clips.

That said, if I'm not thinking about it, I use the terms interchangeably too and so does most of the gun aware/unaware world. The only people who really seem get upset over it are gun nerds on the internet. :D

Does it have a picture of a 16 petal mum (flower) on it? I have not seen a bolt handle like that on a Jap rifle, but the chamber area look like their infantry rifle. Was your uncle in the war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwU6NUltkdQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'll take a look later - he was quite a craftsman so he likely changed much of it. He was a pretty famous airshow pilot in his day eventually getting fed up with the FAA and calling it quits. He built Duane Cole's famous Talyorcraft and sold it to Duane.

Yes he was in the war in some capacity. I don't know where he went or what he did but I do know he was a B-29 pilot.

oh ill be getting more guns for sure i was already kicking myself in the ass for not getting a decent shotgun they had a sale on beginner one that my wife could use as well for like 160.00 plus i already did the background check kind of mad because i need more guns! Im certainly getting a hand gun any recommendations on a good first hand gun want it good enough for protection and not too much recoil and a cool looking gun!

For a hand gun... Recommend the SigSauer, and find a 9mm model that fits you well. I have a P239 for my carry model.

oh ill be getting more guns for sure i was already kicking myself in the ass for not getting a decent shotgun they had a sale on beginner one that my wife could use as well for like 160.00 plus i already did the background check kind of mad because i need more guns! Im certainly getting a hand gun any recommendations on a good first hand gun want it good enough for protection and not too much recoil and a cool looking gun!

Colt 1911 45. You'll end up buying one sooner or later. Might as well enjoy it now. Don't worry about the recoil. It's a big old pussycat and you'll have no trouble emptying two boxes of ammo at the range.

For a hand gun... Recommend the SigSauer, and find a 9mm model that fits you well. I have a P239 for my carry model.

almost went with a Sig, but ended up with the glock in 9mm. Great, dependable pistol. Easy to take apart and clean, too.

Colt 1911 45. You'll end up buying one sooner or later. Might as well enjoy it now. Don't worry about the recoil. It's a big old pussycat and you'll have no trouble emptying two boxes of ammo at the range.

2nd on the 1911 45acp not having bad recoil. My S&W 1911 is a nice shooting 1911. Much easier to shoot than the 9mm and compact handguns I've tried.

i have a Springfield XD for my EDC, and absolutely love it. It was the first pistol I ever bought, and ended up being a great choice. I recommend it for anyone wanting a low-cost option that will still go BANG! whenever you pull the trigger. Glock would be another great choice, but a bit more costly; even more so would be a Sig. (Be sure to try out Glock before you decide on it; many people, myself included, don't like the feel of the more extreme grip angle). I don't want to start a caliber war, but I'd suggest 9mm for an easy-shooting gun for you both, that is still perfectly acceptable for self-defense.

i have a Springfield XD for my EDC, and absolutely love it. It was the first pistol I ever bought, and ended up being a great choice. I recommend it for anyone wanting a low-cost option that will still go BANG! whenever you pull the trigger. Glock would be another great choice, but a bit more costly; even more so would be a Sig. (Be sure to try out Glock before you decide on it; many people, myself included, don't like the feel of the more extreme grip angle). I don't want to start a caliber war, but I'd suggest 9mm for an easy-shooting gun for you both, that is still perfectly acceptable for self-defense.

I went with 9mm b/c it was a gift for my 13 year old son. Personally, I wanted a .40, but I thought he'd have an easier time with the 9mm. He wants a .357 revolver for Christmas this year. :lol:

All the firearms mentioned in this thread are permitted as carry-on baggage on my airplane per TSA regulations (Texas Security Administration).

I love the 1911 never shot one just think they are nice wow a 45 must have a nice bang.. Which manufacturer do you like for the 1911 i believe many companies make it?

Sigs are great pistols. (yeah guns are on a ship) The P228/P229 is as good as it gets for a handgun, but I prefer the CZ line like the CZ-75B, PCR, SP-01, and Kadet.

Just looked up the Springfield nice guns which XD did you go with they have many options?

I love the 1911 never shot one just think they are nice wow a 45 must have a nice bang.. Which manufacturer do you like for the 1911 i believe many companies make it?

I believe the correct answer in this forum is Wilson.

That said, I have a (much modified) Springfield. A shooting buddy has a Kimber that is very nice. Maybe I'll get a Wilson some day but such investments do cut down on funds available for flying.

Just looked up the Springfield nice guns which XD did you go with they have many options?
I got the XD40 Service. It's a .40 S&W caliber and a 4" barrel. I personally don't think the extra money is worth what you get (and don't get) with the newer XDm line. Not a ton of options in terms of replacement parts or upgrades, but they are becoming much more popular since people have lost a bit of faith in Glock since their Gen 4 debacle. Also, not a ton of options or features available because it was designed to be a simple, basic, reliable, and affordable pistol, and not one to be "dressed up" and such.

A simple question, and go ahead and flame me if you wish. Nothing to do with gun ownership or not, but why is this thread not in the Hangar Talk Forum? Since it has nothing to do with Pilot Training.

It's a "side note". I believe that's the loophole.

I got the XD40 Service. It's a .40 S&W caliber and a 4" barrel. I personally don't think the extra money is worth what you get (and don't get) with the newer XDm line. Not a ton of options in terms of replacement parts or upgrades, but they are becoming much more popular since people have lost a bit of faith in Glock since their Gen 4 debacle. Also, not a ton of options or features available because it was designed to be a simple, basic, reliable, and affordable pistol, and not one to be "dressed up" and such.

Looks like XD is running some specials including a bunch of accessories now dont know if you saw it.. Im going down to the range tomorrow and see what they have for sale... Try some new guns out.

A simple question, and go ahead and flame me if you wish. Nothing to do with gun ownership or not, but why is this thread not in the Hangar Talk Forum? Since it has nothing to do with Pilot Training.

what if the FAA examiner asks the difference between a clip and a magazine. thanks to this thread, I know the answer. :yesnod:

Simple way to explain: magazines have springs. Clips do not.
:yeahthat: That's pretty much it. They both can be exposed or enclosed.

Looks like XD is running some specials including a bunch of accessories now dont know if you saw it.. Im going down to the range tomorrow and see what they have for sale... Try some new guns out.
The factory ships every unit with the essentials package, with a (crappy) belt holster, lock, two mags (not clips), a mag loader, and perhaps a few other small things. I have, however, seen some gun shops selling them without that package, and/or selling those on the side. IF they sell it without the essentials package, you better be getting like 50bucks off the price, otherwise they're just ripping you off.

I'd get a .40SW in the smallest frame possible for pocketing, but serious about a .22 auto pistol as well for shooting up ammo.

I like the XDM. Personal opinion is the fit is much better than the Glock, and slightly better than the straight XD.. Others will have their own opinions. This is a full on High wing vs Low wing debate at this point. Just go try them all and see what you like..

Re 9mm vs 40, these are pretty much the same in the self defense rounds now. THe difference it the 9 can generally hold 2-3 more rounds in every pistol than the 40. Make your own decision, but the caliber probably isn't going to be the deciding factor anyway.

Honestly I'm not sure what it is. I've never shot it. I do know that it belonged to my great great uncle and I know he made the stock and modified/made the barrel from something else.

The receiver defiantly has Japanese markings and it's not a caliber I'm familiar with. But I'm no firearms expert.

Do I see a sporterized Arisaka there?

I think you do. That looks like a type 99 IIRC. Probably 6.5mm Jap or 7.7mm Jap however some were converted to 257 Roberts. The 99 were only fair rifles. The the 6.5 Jap "I" model is fairly rare was built by Paul Baretta and were outstanding guns.

Looks like I may go for the 1911 thinking about Springfield gi 700.00 although for a few hundred bucks more I like the finish and looks of the loaded however don't really want to spend 1k+ on my first gun any other companies I should look at or suggestions.

Deciding today to join either shore shot or brick armory in lakewood

Could get a deal on the 1911 Kimberly eclipse 2 for 800 used but doesn't look like a bullet ever want through it.

If you are going 1911, (and I'm assuming everyone means 1911A1), just about any US manufacturer will work. If you can FIND a true 1911 be prepared to shell out some bucks. If you can find a Singer 1911A1 in average condition it can be yours for just under $50,000. An Academy classmate was on a cutter commissioned in 1943 which still had its original allotment of 20 Singers. What a treasure trove, I wonder what happened to them when the USCG went to the 9mm??? :dunno:

(OBTW, as we all know, a 9mm is a .45 set to "stun".) :D

what if the FAA examiner asks the difference between a clip and a magazine. thanks to this thread, I know the answer. :yesnod:

What if he/she actually means hose clip or AOPA Pilot Magazine? lol

David

One thing to consider is ammo cost. 500 22lr is about $20. 50 9mm are roughly $15. If cost is an issue to you the 22lr gives you way more "bangs" pun intended for the buck. Nothing better than a 22 for shooting paper. 22 for shooting people not so much.

Back