Bird Strike at FL380??

An Endeavor Canadair CRJ-900 on Delta Airlines, registration N330PQ performing flight 9E-4071/DL-4071 from New York La Guardia,NY to Nashville,TN (USA), was enroute at FL380 about 110nm northeast of Charleston,WV (USA) when the crew decided to divert to Charleston reporting a cracked windshield as result of an earlier bird strike. The aircraft landed safely in Charleston about 25 minutes later.

I wonder how much earlier? Probably before 38,000'.

I hear 37.... do I hear 36.... 36.... 36 and a half?

Endeavor is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta and only operates as Delta Connection on Delta routes. So..... Delta.

Forget delta ,what was the bird involved?

Endeavor is a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta and only operates as Delta Connection on Delta routes. So..... Delta.
Ahhhh.... No. It's not Delta.

So many now believe because the colors on the side say Delta...

Sigh

Sigh

Endeavor Air is an American regional airline that operates as Delta Connection for Delta Air Lines.[1] The airline was founded as Express Airlines I in 1985[2] and changed names to Pinnacle Airlines in 2002. In 2012, Pinnacle's parent company filed for chapter 11 reorganization, then emerged as a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines.[3][4] The name of the airline was changed to Endeavor Air on August 1, 2013.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endeavor_Air

My logic is:
If Company A owns Company B and
If Company A controls Company B and
If Company A has Company B conduct Company A's business and
If Company A has Company B use Company A's branding
Then Company A = Company B.

Plus having previously worked for 9E, I know how tightly DL controls them.

My logic is:
If Company A owns Company B and
If Company A controls Company B and
If Company A has Company B conduct Company A's business and
If Company A has Company B use Company A's branding
Then Company A = Company B.

Plus having previously worked for 9E, I know how tightly DL controls them.

I don't disagree with your logic, but given this is an aviation message board, I think there's a desire to understand the situation a little more deeply than what an lay person might. It's kind of like a news article not making a distinction between a Cessna P210 and a 152. Almost everyone will see them as essentially the same airplane, while those on this board know them to be entirely different.

When I see an article involving an airplane from Delta, American, United, etc...I'll absolutely want to know whether they mean mainline or a regional partner. The parent company might be the same, but in the context of an incident or accident, you might as well be talking about two different companies.

Sigh
That's like saying AT&T Mobility isn't AT&T. It may be technically true in a legal sense, but in every way that matters to 99% of the population, they're the same. It's not a distinction worth getting wrapped around the axle about.

tell that to the pilots flying them for 95% less than delta makes, a substandard contract and no chance of flow to mainline. yea, they are the same.....

there are no bird strikes at 380...........

tell that to the pilots flying them for 95% less than delta makes, a substandard contract and no chance of flow to mainline. yea, they are the same.....

Substandard contract? No chance of moving to mainline? You don't know jack**** about Endeavor, do you.

Endeavor Air is an American regional airline that operates as Delta Connection for Delta Air Lines.[1] The airline was founded as Express Airlines I in 1985[2] and changed names to Pinnacle Airlines in 2002. In 2012, Pinnacle's parent company filed for chapter 11 reorganization, then emerged as a wholly owned subsidiary of Delta Air Lines.[3][4] The name of the airline was changed to Endeavor Air on August 1, 2013.[5]

So in other words, it is as much Delta as Eagle was American.

Did the bird file a flight plan? I hope he wasn't VFR that high up because it will cost him his license.
My condolences to his feathery family if he did not survive. :(

This place is a trip. It's a thread about a bird vs plane at 38,000 ft, not about corporate organization, LOL. Still, I always learn something, that's why I keep coming back...I hope my post doesn't get us RE-derailed

Yeah.... Different management, different dispatch, different operating certificate. Ask the pilots if they work under the Delta ALPA contract.

Not Delta.

That's like saying AT&T Mobility isn't AT&T. It may be technically true in a legal sense, but in every way that matters to 99% of the population, they're the same. It's not a distinction worth getting wrapped around the axle about.
Nah... That's like saying because the local 7-Eleven serves Starbucks coffee that it's a Starbucks.

there are no bird strikes at 380...........
Maybe so. However, just 100 feet below that altitude there was a bird strike a few years ago:

"The highest-flying bird ever recorded was a Ruppell's griffon, a vulture with a wingspan of about 10 feet; on November 29, 1975, a Ruppell's griffon was sucked into a jet engine 37,900 feet above the Ivory Coast--more than a mile and a half higher than the summit of Mount Everest.Nov 1, 2014
https://www.quora.com/How-high-can-birds-fly
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1976/how-high-can-birds-and-bees-fly

Holy crap guys, there are some here who would argue with one of these.

stop_sign-600x600.jpg

The lettering on that sign looks like it may be one inch short of regulation. You can ignore it. It's the law.

Substandard contract? No chance of moving to mainline? You don't know jack**** about Endeavor, do you.

87 an hour for a 12 year crj900 captain, 30 an hour for a fo, an interview at delta, that is not a flow agreement. endeavor's average pay rate is behind just about every other regional except the total bottom feeders. I know plenty about them.

87 an hour for a 12 year crj900 captain, 30 an hour for a fo, an interview at delta, that is not a flow agreement. endeavor's average pay rate is behind just about every other regional except the total bottom feeders. I know plenty about them.

A first year FO doesn't clear anything less than 50K. Find a single regional that pays more than that. You just aren't looking at total compensation.

They may have reported a bird strike but it may have been a simple case of an other ply failing on a windshield.

Regardless, envoy or endevour... Whatever it is, is NOT Delta. No way to spin that one. I know the guys like to pretend they fly for Delta, but... Nah....

Nah... That's like saying because the local 7-Eleven serves Starbucks coffee that it's a Starbucks.
Does Starbucks own 7-Eleven now? AT&T owns AT&T Mobility, but they have separate boards, separate management, and separate employees with separate union contracts. Yet to the whole world, they're the same company.

This is silly. I don't care how you spin it. Endeavor or Enviy or whatever IS NOT DELTA AIRLINES. it's a different operating certificate (the be all end all in 121 ops). Delta can buy Walmart, but that doesn't make Walmart casiers Delta pilots.
The only tie is a contract for services. Tomorrow Endevour or Envoy could make a deal with American and be be American commuters. They could do that even being owned by Delta.

Vf6cruiser said:
there are no bird strikes at 380...........​
Maybe so. However, just 100 feet below that altitude there was a bird strike a few years ago:

So that last 100ft is the key........and no strikes 380 still stands............LOL.........we need a life

A bird strike at 38,000 feet would be pretty serious being that the bird would be frozen solid. Akin to hitting a rock I'd imagine.

Yeah.... Different management, different dispatch, different operating certificate. Ask the pilots if they work under the Delta ALPA contract.

Not Delta.

Ask Endeavor pilots if their check says "Delta Airlines..."

A first year FO doesn't clear anything less than 50K. Find a single regional that pays more than that. You just aren't looking at total compensation.

Making the pay at Endeavor what it is, is what it is in order to keep the doors open at the joint.. The ship was/is sinking and the rats were headed other directions.

Back