ATITAPA from an airliner....

Ghery

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Ghery Pettit
PHLI (LIH, Lihue) has its tower close at 10 pm each night. Shortly after it closed last night an AS flight came in and in the first call I heard "Any traffic in the area, please advise." All I could think of was the outrage that would ensue on this board.

Have fun!

And the thread title needs to be fixed. That should be ATITAPA. Darned tablet keyboard. Back to my lounging, listening to the surf.

2nd edit - title fixed. Thanks for pointing out the tool for fixing it. :)

Last edited:
Glad to know I’m not alone, I’ve said it my fair share! :cheers:

Maybe it was Kritchlow? And how did he enter the pattern? :) I don't have a strong opinion about ATITAPA, but I don't use it and our manual even seems to discourage its use (this is found in the section covering non-towered operations):

E.
Self-Announce Position and/or Intentions. Self-announce is a procedure to broadcast position or intended flight/ground operations on the designated frequency.

Note
Saying “Traffic in the area, please advise.” is not a recognized self-announce position and/or intention phrase.

And the thread title needs to be fixed. That should be ATITAPA. Darned tablet keyboard. Back to my lounging, listening to the surf.

APITAPSTT

[Any Posters in the area, Please See Thread Tools] You can fix your title using the thread tools button at the top right of your thread.

People can say whatever they want on the radio. I'll ignore them. For some reason, the ATITAPA crowd seems more bothered by my ignoring them than I am by their ignoring the AIM.

People can say whatever they want on the radio. I'll ignore them. For some reason, the ATITAPA crowd seems more bothered by my ignoring them than I am by their ignoring the AIM.

I pretty much ignore those calls unless I see there will be a problem, and continue making my normal traffic calls.

Great Lakes used to do that around here. Annoying kids....

PHLI (LIH, Lihue) has its tower close at 10 pm each night. Shortly after it closed last night an AS flight came in and in the first call I heard "Any traffic in the area, please advise." All I could think of was the outrage that would ensue on this board.

Tell them to look at their fish finder . . . . . . :stirpot:

It started with a college program and moved next to an airline. no reason to think the airlines are any less likely it use it than anyone else.

I don’t use it but it doesn’t bother me that much when someone else does. Not sure why some folks are so bothered by it.

Me either 'Dog. At least they're on the freq is the way I see it, and you'll know they're inbound. :dunno:

Last edited:
Almost two years before joining SkyWest I heard a SkyWest pilot say it while approaching ISN while I was doing a night XC with a student.

Being a bit of a snot I replied anonymously, “I advise rereading the AIM!”

I like to say it after every call in the pattern and after I call my obligatory taxi reports and clear of runway calls.

By the time I've closed the hangar door, I'm pretty damned certain everyone nearby has been given the chance to advise me - how else would they know?

"Meadowlake traffic, 123xx, clear of the active. Any traffic on the taxiway please advise"

I won't argue with someone who says it, but I will silently judge someone if I hear them say it. I once saw an aircraft make an "any traffic in the area please advise" call immediately before departure, and then before giving anyone a chance to respond, taxi onto the runway without looking while an aircraft was on short final. The root of the problem stems from using the phrase in lieu of doing your job as a pilot.

The root of the problem stems from using the phrase in lieu of doing your job as a pilot

Correct. And most ATITAPA sayers quit looking for traffic when no response is heard, forgetting about those without radios.

So I am guessing the right response is.... "bugsmasher 007 with you"

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Right. Because I find someone who intentionally wants to be a jerk to impair safety is an idiot.

I understand and have weighed the pros and cons of making the call. In my opinion, the pros have it.

I won't argue with someone who says it, but I will silently judge someone if I hear them say it. I once saw an aircraft make an "any traffic in the area please advise" call immediately before departure, and then before giving anyone a chance to respond, taxi onto the runway without looking while an aircraft was on short final. The root of the problem stems from using the phrase in lieu of doing your job as a pilot.
Any proof of that?
Such an idiot would likely taxi into position without looking even if they did not make the call.

Correct. And most ATITAPA sayers quit looking for traffic when no response is heard, forgetting about those without radios.
I’m not so sure about that. For me it’s just one additional level of safety to be used WHEN APPROPRIATE.

When you "ignore" them, do you continue to make the normal position reports at the normal times?

When you "ignore" them, do you continue to make the normal position reports at the normal times?

I will typically make a quick additional call such as “Podunk traffic N1YV is left downwind runway 27 Podunk” unless I am real close to making a turn then I will wait the few seconds and make it on schedule.

The worst thing one can do is to cop an attitude and stop doing what is right just to spite another pilot who doesn’t meet one’s personal expectations. I’d rather share the sky with Mr. ATITAPA than with Mr. Spiteful Butt.

Then there is the guy here that uses the radio. The only thing anyone will hear from him is, "Turning final for 24".

No other calls are ever made, not a call inbound or downwind, just turning final for 24. No matter that another plane just called a 2 mile final for 24. Or the plane that made the call taxying to runway 06, departing runway 06.

This guy doesn't care if anyone is in the pattern or if he cuts some one off on final. One call and one call only.

APITAPSTT

[Any Posters in the area, Please See Thread Tools] You can fix your title using the thread tools button at the top right of your thread.
Thanks for the tip!

Right. Because I find someone who intentionally wants to be a jerk to impair safety is an idiot.

I understand and have weighed the pros and cons of making the call. In my opinion, the pros have it.
Making the call when all relevant guidance is to the contrary is just silly. Considering yourself superior for doing so is arrogant. Assuming that anyone will respond is very foolish.

Last edited:
We had a citation fly into my little podunk airport last year. We have no services other than Self serve 100LL. He called Unicom from a thousand miles away asking for advisories, and repeated it every 5 miles all the way in. We have no Unicom. Heck half the planes here are NORDO. It did get all the neighbors out to see what all the noise was about.

I don't know what anyone here considers the "normal" position calls, but I'll continue to make position calls just as I would without the ATITAPA pilots. That's what I meant by ignoring them.

Lol, I've heard my fair share of 121 guys say it, normally it's JetBlue or allegiant, but yeah, I kinda want to start saying, in my best pink Floyd voice, "is there anybody out there?"

Making the call when all relevant guidance is to the contrary is just silly. Considering yourself superior for doing so is arrogant. Assuming that anyone will respond is very foolish.
I respect your opinion, although I disagree with it.

I'll usually respond; It doesn't cost me anything, and it doesn't make it better for anyone if I don't. A pinhead Navion driver at W18 didn't say squat, arriving or leaving, for years. He rolled out on the active when I was on very short final, so I side stepped to the left and "flew" formation with him during his takeoff roll. I sort of consider that a lot worse the ATITAPA.

The AIM is an attempt at guidance, stuff that has seemed to work more-or-less better than other things, but it isn't flawless.

Some of you could also talk a lot less, too. Says it succinctly, then STFU - especially on weekends.

I'll usually respond; It doesn't cost me anything, and it doesn't make it better for anyone if I don't. A pinhead Navion driver at W18 didn't say squat, arriving or leaving, for years. He rolled out on the active when I was on very short final, so I side stepped to the left and "flew" formation with him during his takeoff roll. I sort of consider that a lot worse the ATITAPA.

The AIM is an attempt at guidance, stuff that has seemed to work more-or-less better than other things, but it isn't flawless.

Some of you could also talk a lot less, too. Says it succinctly, then STFU - especially on weekends.
There is a world of difference between taking off nordo and using ATITAPA. In fact there is one important step between where you call your intentions, look, and listen.

ATITAPA does not help anyone

Absolutely! Many NORDO pilots do an insufficient if not horrible job of looking for other traffic and yielding the right of way. Not sure how much of it is inadvertent due to just being incompetent or if some take advantage of their NORDO status using it as an excuse. I think I do a pretty good job of looking for other traffic but hearing position call outs greatly assists in that effort. So while ATITAPA is considered non standard communication, at least it is communication.

Back