At which Class B airports have you landed?

You put LAX in the destination box on the flight plan and then go where ATC tells you. You even have a choice between two high price FBOs: Atlantic or Signature.....big catch is that you better be burning Jet A because there is no 100LL.

I was always under the impression that GA traffic was frowned upon at LAX. Guess frowned upon doesn't mean prohibited. =D

Okay, do whatever you need to prove your manhood. But why?? all you are doing is holding transport commerce because someone wants to do a touch & go just so they can said they did it?

Yeah, 3 AM fine... If you really feel the need..

Somewhat true, but it is definitely not universal. BOS cost me about $300 in fees plus $9/gallon fuel while PHX cost me less than $50 and $6/gallon fuel.

I fly to PHX once or twice a year. The Class B is considerably cheaper than SDL. It is more than FFZ, but traffic flow is much smoother since everyone going into PHX is IFR. Now that I am feeding two R-985s (40gph) the fuel cost alone may drive me to FFZ, but for most piston GA, the cost at PHX really isn't that bad.

Well, that may be true. It just happens that for me so far there hasn't been a Class B that was both convenient and affordable to land at on any of my trips. I've flown to the PHX area a number of times, but always landed at Chandler where there was no fee at all. It also happened to be closest to what I was doing. Same goes for all the other Class B adjacent airports I've flown to. I've landed next door to SFO, SAN, LAX, PIT, MIA, DEN, ORD and BOS (while Obama was in town no less) but on all of those occasions either there was a cheaper airport, a more convenient airport or both. One of these days I'll do it, but most likely I'll be on the clock with someone else paying the fees.

Okay, do whatever you need to prove your manhood. But why?? all you are doing is holding transport commerce because someone wants to do a touch & go just so they can said they did it?

Yeah, 3 AM fine... If you really feel the need..

Ooh. The almighty transport commerce. Haha.

I had my personal transport commerce slowed once waiting for a bicyclist. It was terrible. ;)

ADW, BWI, IAD.

Andrews was fun, took my PP checkride from there. BWI controllers were accomodating, and I did a lot of instrument approaches there when working on my rating. We'd show up outside of rush hours (called ahead and they gave us some recomended windows ) - lost my GS in actual IMC there, one late night, as an IFR student - thought I had that ILS nailed! Anyway, my CFII and i missed it, and we got a low altitude alert call - so I have a soft spot for BWI.

MTN is in the B, near BWI, and had the most consistently inept tower I've dealt with. Not always of course, but pretty regular.

Dulles was just a bus station - all the character of a strip mall. . .

Dulles was just a bus station - all the character of a strip mall. . .
The main terminal is an architectural marvel. Just about every other structure on the site is an abomination. I guess the plan was to make them ugly enough so as not to complete with Saarinen's masterpiece.

I used to always put ADW as my destination because nobody knew where VKX was. BWI would point me directly at ADW and the Andrew's controllers would ask me "Potomac or Hyde." Before Dave got the GPS approach he used to publish a plate for "ILS into ADW and Special VFR to VKX" procedure.

HNL is the only Class B I've been to in GA. Started and ended the flight there.

I have BOS, LAS and MSP under my belt. I was going to nab CLT while out there, but got grounded. Blegh.

If I get back up in the air again DEN is on my list.

I see a lot of CLT on here. I fly out of an airport 12 miles east of there (and always have to make sure to stay under or around the bravo) but have never flown in there. I feel like that is one of the easier Class B airports though, think I will try it here soon. My IR instructor took one of his post PPL guys in there a few months ago and said it was pretty simple. I would like to do it here soon, never flown into more than Class C.

This thread is for the GA pilots, not the pros.

My list is short: SAN, LAS, SLC and MKC, with DEN on deck for next week.
You mean MCI instead of MKC? That's my one and only (although MKC is a lot more fun).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ooh. The almighty transport commerce. Haha.

I had my personal transport commerce slowed once waiting for a bicyclist. It was terrible. ;)
Hey, if you have business in Atlanta and Hartsfield is your best option, I'm all for it. But, if you (general, not you personally) are just doing it to prove some sort of point than I totally think it's silly. Imagine if 100 GA airplanes did it all at once...??

Hey, if you have business in Atlanta and Hartsfield is your best option, I'm all for it. But, if you (general, not you personally) are just doing it to prove some sort of point than I totally think it's silly. Imagine if 100 GA airplanes did it all at once...??
Can we keep the big tin out of our airports too then? That way we don't have to worry about them being taken over like LAX was?

You mean MCI instead of MKC? That's my one and only (although MKC is a lot more fun).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I meant MKC. Never landed at MCI. Further inspection reveals that MKC is not in the Class B, but I went in there IFR with a Class B clearance. My mistake. Erase MKC from my list.

I see a lot of CLT on here. I fly out of an airport 12 miles east of there (and always have to make sure to stay under or around the bravo) but have never flown in there. I feel like that is one of the easier Class B airports though, think I will try it here soon. My IR instructor took one of his post PPL guys in there a few months ago and said it was pretty simple. I would like to do it here soon, never flown into more than Class C.
Fly in and go to the air museum.

Fly in and go to the air museum.
Great advice, I've been there twice. That's how I ended up here. Always had an interest in aviation, had some time before I flew out for work on a Thursday afternoon (as I do 30 some weekends a year). Got hooked, asked around there how I learn to fly myself, and here I am. If it weren't for that museum (which is pretty aweome by the way, and I have been to the Pima Mueseum in Tuscon), I wouldn't be a pilot. If I didn't have such a busy lifestyle with my job, I would volunteer there to give back.

Can we keep the big tin out of our airports too then? That way we don't have to worry about them being taken over like LAX was?
Not sure what you're saying exactly, but....

You do keep the major airliners out whether you realize it or not. (Forgetting about the markets), many GA runways and ramps are simply not equipped to handle heavy aircraft. In addition, part 121 needs fire and rescue within X amount of minutes.

So, point is, we all have our own little sweatspots.

CLT

There was a conflict on final with a Southwest 737 landing on an intersecting runway. The tower made him go around, instead of us. They were not too happy about it, must have been the last leg of the day.

Nice thing about being based at IAD was being able to fly in parallel with the Concorde.

CLT

There was a conflict on final with a Southwest 737 landing on an intersecting runway. The tower made him go around, instead of us. They were not too happy about it, must have been the last leg of the day.
That's the thing that can make CLT a little crazy at times - crossing runways/approaches in use simultaneously.

If you go at a busy time, it can be a bit hectic/crazy.

Personally, I think PHX is much smoother than CLT but the parallel runways help a lot (GA is on the south side, so you have a separate runways for arrivals and departures.

I've never even transited Class B airspace, much less landed at an airport designated as Class B. Closest B airspace is probably D/FW, and I fly there often enough on the airlines that I have little need to do so on my own fruition. :)

When are the push times at IAD? All 3 times I've been there it's been dead.
If I recall just before noon, just after noon and then again about five. My wife has a list of the quiet times that she got from the tower to encourage her show pilots to arrive then. It gets very busy when United pushes.

If I recall just before noon, just after noon and then again about five. My wife has a list of the quiet times that she got from the tower to encourage her show pilots to arrive then. It gets very busy when United pushes.
Yea I was definitely in between busy times. I heard Landmark bought Signature or visa versa.

Signature bought landmark. I've not been up there since this happened and I don't know how it's going to affect the Smithsonian flyin (Landmark has always been good to the museum). Personally, while I was based at the old Hawthorne which became Piedmont which became Landmark, I've been treated well by both FBOs.

Landmark has been a bastard child for years now. When the parent company was bought, the foreigners who bought it were not allowed to have the FBOs at SIDA airports so they sold the whole branch to another company. The new company pretty much fired everybody with a clue and hired on everybody at minimum wage. Still the new staff tried hard even if inexperienced.

I'll let you know in a few months.

Signature bought landmark. I've not been up there since this happened and I don't know how it's going to affect the Smithsonian flyin (Landmark has always been good to the museum). Personally, while I was based at the old Hawthorne which became Piedmont which became Landmark, I've been treated well by both FBOs.

Landmark has been a bastard child for years now. When the parent company was bought, the foreigners who bought it were not allowed to have the FBOs at SIDA airports so they sold the whole branch to another company. The new company pretty much fired everybody with a clue and hired on everybody at minimum wage. Still the new staff tried hard even if inexperienced.

I'll let you know in a few months.
I've never been to Landmark. Every time I've gone to IAD I went to Signature they've treated me great. The FBO is awesome.

Back