At which Class B airports have you landed?

colojo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Colojo
This thread is for the GA pilots, not the pros.

My list is short: SAN, LAS, SLC and MKC, with DEN on deck for next week.

Last edited:
My list is shorter than yours.
PHX in a single engine Bonanza for landing gear switch repair.

KCLT -
KMIA -
KTPA -
KMEM
KSTL

Almost did KMCO but that trip was cancelled.

Cleveland is the only one on my list.

In a small airplane...
DEN in a 152 when it was Stapleton
PHX, SLC and LAS in a C-206

This thread is for the GA pilots, not the pros.

My list is short: SAN, LAS, SLC and MKC, with DEN on deck for next week.
You want to try SFO, don't you? lol

None, and I plan to keep it that way, thank you very much.

(I don't understand the allure...hubris inducing rush...etc.)

IAD, BWI, DEN.

Was based at IAD for many years.

Does flying commercial count? I've been to a bunch of them if it does. hehe

I do plan to hit KMCI as my first after I get my PPL. It seems like a moderate Class B and it's relatively close to home.

LAS, DFW, HOU, and MSY.

Bos ,Tpa , and a bunch of class c international airports.

DAL and HOU, both easy-Peazy.

Related follow-up: if you do a touch and go at a Bravo, do they track your tail number and send you a bill? Or is it only if you stop?

Most class B airports have ample TSA personnel stationed around the perimeter and they'll shoot your ass down if you do a touch and go without paying.

This Denver native and longtime pilot salutes you. Never managed to land at Stapleton, though I could have if I tried.
You remind me... Do you recall the GA fly-in into DIA before it officially opened? It was sponsored by the city and, if I recall correctly, it was part of an exercise for the controllers at the new field. I still display my landing certificate from the event.
We were lucky. When we got to the FBO, there was a KOA reporter who got there too late for a flight she was going to take. So we had the pleasure of an extra passenger for a fun flight.

Maybe one day.... I hope to land at ATL and wouldn't mind making it in at 2:00am to avoid the rush. I may try for CLT first as I've heard it's not too bad. Another question in curios about. Were most of everyone's Class B landings IFR or VFR? I would think IFR might be a bit easier but really have no idea.

At the MWAA (IAD, DCA) airports, you only owe the landing fee if you leave the movement area. Further, the nature of things is that if you don't go inside and voluntarily tell them you arrived, the FBO doesn't know to collect it (and their lack of competition gouge fee).

Of course at DCA now, landing there for most of us will have people coming after us with guns for reasons other than ducking the landing fee.

You remind me... Do you recall the GA fly-in into DIA before it officially opened? It was sponsored by the city and, if I recall correctly, it was part of an exercise for the controllers at the new field. I still display my landing certificate from the event.
We were lucky. When we got to the FBO, there was a KOA reporter who got there too late for a flight she was going to take. So we had the pleasure of an extra passenger for a fun flight.

I do recall that but I was living in the Bay Area at the time so I couldn't make it. I think it was pretty cool of the city to do that.

Maybe one day.... I hope to land at ATL and wouldn't mind making it in at 2:00am to avoid the rush. I may try for CLT first as I've heard it's not too bad. Another question in curios about. Were most of everyone's Class B landings IFR or VFR? I would think IFR might be a bit easier but really have no idea.
All the Class B airports I landed at were IFR. Makes it easier and they can't really deny you.

I wanna try going into KMIA VFR and see how well that works out for me..;)

BOS, BWI, CLT, HNL, PHX for me. I've flown GA into SAN and LAS as well, but I wasn't PIC.

I recall the event but didn't take part, unfortunately. I also remember the big move and how everything, including the airspace, changed overnight.

None, and I plan to keep it that way, thank you very much.

(I don't understand the allure...hubris inducing rush...etc.)
You assume hubris is the driving factor.

For me, it's typically more about convenience than going further out to save some money and depending on the airport, it may not be that much extra. It is much cheaper for me to fly into PHX than SDL for example.

I recall the event but didn't take part, unfortunately. I also remember the big move and how everything, including the airspace, changed overnight.

and didn't it take them something like six months or a year to get the baggage handling system working properly?

You assume hubris is the driving factor.

For me, it's typically more about convenience than going further out to save some money and depending on the airport, it may not be that much extra. It is much cheaper for me to fly into PHX than SDL for example.

I won't argue that point. There are very legitimate reasons to fly into a class B...especially some of the less busy ones...STL and KC come to mind as fields that really should be Charlie and are an easy in/out.

A lot of guys though want to go there just so they can mix it up with the big boys. They are the ones I really don't get at all...to each his/her own...but I just think it's dumb. (It kinda reminds me of that one ugly girl in high school who always hung out with the cheerleaders, she didn't realize that it made her look uglier...not prettier.)

Personally, I'd far rather chalk up how many grass strips I've been to than how many class bravos, but that's just me.

I also think it's dumb to land in a state for the sole purpose of adding it to your map.

Fly to Florida for lunch so you can add it? Sure. At least you did something.

Fly there, land, and fly home just to add it? Dumb.

None, but not for any fear of them. Just never had a reason to. I've spent enough time flying in and around the SAN and LAX bravo airspace that there's nothing all that exciting about it for me. If you're getting a rush from it, then you should probably do a quick IMSAFE checklist and make sure you're not pushing yourself. Dealing with ATC in the bravo is no different than out, especially if you fly IFR. Only difference is how much it costs to land. I'm a cheapskate (read: poor) so I choose to land at the little airports next door.

Back