Anybody want to buy a nice 310?

The quote to do the phase 2 and 3, the D check, and the borescope was $15k. That was before any squawks were addressed.

Sorry, but I didn't put the cost of your inspection in my budget. ;)

I was just going to send you a copy! It's paid! :D

The quote to do the phase 2 and 3, the D check, and the borescope was $15k. That was before any squawks were addressed.

Sorry, but I didn't put the cost of your inspection in my budget. ;)

That doesn't sound out of line for a very thorough checkout of a pretty darn complex aircraft.

I hope you enjoy ownership. It's a beauty!

I would appreciate you taking the time to do that write-up. I'm very actively shopping for Aztec/310's. The Aztec seems to be the best fit for my budget and mission.
Ted (iflytwins) has been an absolutely invaluable resource through every step of this for me and I'm extremely grateful for all the time he has taken helping me:yes:.
yes I did use this post as an excuse to tell everyone how awesome Ted is:rofl:

Posted last night on this thread:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89350

How is the training and inspection going?

Inspections are complete and the squawk list was 33 items long - all of them relatively minor or suggestions. I got a video of the borescope exam of the engines checked by my expert and all was well. The oil samples were fine.

Other items -
Phase 8 Hydraulic system pressure test due - $321
Phase 61 corrosion inspection due - $5268
Engine wash due - $195
Engines 100 hour inspection due in 36 hours - $332
Engines fuel pump filter due 17 hours - $424
Batter is 7.5 years old and replacement recommended - $2584
Lower wing spar inspection due in 7 hours - $321
Right nav light inop - $113
Right wing fuel hopper tank leak - $1137
Left outboard flap gap seal torn at inboard edge - $516
Both fuel selctors will go to off without pushing detent button - $107
Emergency exit door seal has taken a set and needs to be replaced - $702
Left MLG uplock actuator is leaking $353
Right MLG has play at hinge - $221
NLG actuator retract hose is leaking - $191
NLG gear fender is bent and makes contact with clamp - $107
NLG trunion has excessive side play - $710
Left wheel brake caliper pistons are leaking - $329
Left wing fuel leak by landing hear door hinge - $580
Stall warning switch vane heating element is loose - $2952
Right aileron conduit has broken tie wrap - $32
Left lower nacelle fairing is cracked at outboard forward edge - $214
Minor corrosion around battery vent sump jar - $107
Right aft nose steering cable has broken wire - $1057
Co-pilot defrost hose coupling on forward pressure bulkhead has hole - $2859

There were a few minor others. I agreed to do and pay for the upcoming inspections that were due. We agreed to split the battery and engine wash. Seller agreed to do all the rest. Total bill for the inspections and squawks was nearly $35k. Keep in mind that this is at a Landmark service in California so things get spendy at $107/hr.

Plane is being buttoned up today and we released partial funds from escrow in anticipation of taking delivery next week.

I'm heading for three days of initial next week and have my "nanny" all lined up for the initial 25 hours of flight time.

Eggman

Nice Eggman. Keep us updated on all the details. Experiencing this vicariously. :)

Inspections are complete and the squawk list was 33 items long - all of them relatively minor or suggestions. I got a video of the borescope exam of the engines checked by my expert and all was well. The oil samples were fine.

Other items -
Phase 8 Hydraulic system pressure test due - $321
Phase 61 corrosion inspection due - $5268
Engine wash due - $195
Engines 100 hour inspection due in 36 hours - $332
Engines fuel pump filter due 17 hours - $424
Batter is 7.5 years old and replacement recommended - $2584
Lower wing spar inspection due in 7 hours - $321
Right nav light inop - $113
Right wing fuel hopper tank leak - $1137
Left outboard flap gap seal torn at inboard edge - $516
Both fuel selctors will go to off without pushing detent button - $107
Emergency exit door seal has taken a set and needs to be replaced - $702
Left MLG uplock actuator is leaking $353
Right MLG has play at hinge - $221
NLG actuator retract hose is leaking - $191
NLG gear fender is bent and makes contact with clamp - $107
NLG trunion has excessive side play - $710
Left wheel brake caliper pistons are leaking - $329
Left wing fuel leak by landing hear door hinge - $580
Stall warning switch vane heating element is loose - $2952
Right aileron conduit has broken tie wrap - $32
Left lower nacelle fairing is cracked at outboard forward edge - $214
Minor corrosion around battery vent sump jar - $107
Right aft nose steering cable has broken wire - $1057
Co-pilot defrost hose coupling on forward pressure bulkhead has hole - $2859

There were a few minor others. I agreed to do and pay for the upcoming inspections that were due. We agreed to split the battery and engine wash. Seller agreed to do all the rest. Total bill for the inspections and squawks was nearly $35k. Keep in mind that this is at a Landmark service in California so things get spendy at $107/hr.

Plane is being buttoned up today and we released partial funds from escrow in anticipation of taking delivery next week.

I'm heading for three days of initial next week and have my "nanny" all lined up for the initial 25 hours of flight time.

Eggman

I was thinking the best thing about this list of $ is that there's a whole lot of other folks on this forum that discovered we should stop complaining about the cost of flying - what we spend ain't nuthin'

That must be some battery.

Great to hear things are progressing on track JD.

Last edited:
I was thinking the best thing about this list of $ is that there's a whole lot of other folks on this forum that discovered we should stop complaining about the cost of flying - what we spend ain't nuthin'

That must be some battery.

Great to hear things are progressing on track JD.

Gotta remember that the starter/generator on the these engines pull something like 800 amps spinning up. The better the battery the faster the start and the less likely you have a hot/hung start which can get stupendously expensive. I'm told that I should be happy getting five years.

And I'm just a regular guy who needs to be lots of places and hates the airlines with the intensity of a thousand suns. I flew a fixed gear Saratoga for my first 650 hours.

Last edited:
Impressive write up and loving reading all of it James. Also confirms I'm nowhere near turbine budgetary levels and may never be, but damn it's nice to see someone is and is going to enjoy the hell out of it. Congrats on getting through the inspection process and I'm imagining the grin that will be stuck on your face after you take delivery... Great story.

I gotta wonder how many millions of eggs must fry to fund this endevour.

Oh the humanity! :lol:

Beautiful planes. Have fun.

That's a lotta Egg McMuffins.

I ate about 25 cents worth of eggs this morning. Happy to help out where I can

I made an offer on a conquest today. :goofy::yes::rofl:

Haven't decided what I'm going to do with my 310 yet, but if anyone is interested send me a pm for specs.

I will post updates on the new ride as things go down.

Eggman

That extra slab on windshield there on the left side of it: what is it? I've only seen it one other time than this and guessed it was a patch over a crack or chip in the existing windshield. Is that right? I can't think of any other purpose it might serve.

That extra slab on windshield there on the left side of it: what is it? I've only seen it one other time than this and guessed it was a patch over a crack or chip in the existing windshield. Is that right? I can't think of any other purpose it might serve.

Heated plate for ice removal. Required for flight into known icing conditions.

Heated plate for ice removal. Required for flight into known icing conditions.

Ohhh! And here my little pea brain is thinking it just looks like an extra chunk of plexiglass. :redface: So is that considered an STC? I mean it doesn't look like the plane was manufactured with that, was it?

How many chickens company-wide?

I think some planes come from the factory with a hot plate.

They must be rare.

I've seen a lot of airplanes from 5,000 pounds empty to 45,000 empty and have never seen a hot plate. Microwave, warming oven, espresso machine, coffee maker, hot water heater, yes.

Edit-misread.

I see a few of them around, but I agree they don't seem common.

Last edited:
The hot plates were factory equipment on some Aztecs, 310Rs, and 340s for windshield de-icing. It is not an STC, although STCs do exist for those on some other Twin Cessnas. The STCs do not provide FIKI certification, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Ohhh! And here my little pea brain is thinking it just looks like an extra chunk of plexiglass. :redface: So is that considered an STC? I mean it doesn't look like the plane was manufactured with that, was it?

It is part of the factory package for FIKI certification. Heated props, boots on the outboard wings, vertical and horizontal tail surfaces, and inboard wing roots. There are many different items on the airframe that are heated as well such as stall warning, static vents, pitot, etc.

They must be rare.

I've seen a lot of airplanes from 5,000 pounds empty to 45,000 empty and have never seen a hot plate. Microwave, warming oven, espresso machine, coffee maker, hot water heater, yes.

A hot plate is not that uncommon for light aircraft equipped to deal with ice. A complete glass windshield is both heavy and expensive to replace - fine in a jet but not practical for piston and other smaller airframes. A glass hotplate over a portion of the left hand side is a reasonably effective alternative. My 5200 lb gross Aztec came from the factory with one.

The older PA46's came with a hotplate from the factory for its FIKI certification.

I replaced my battery this fall and it's amazing how quickly it recharges compared to the old one! You are supposed to wait for the ammeter to drop below 100 before starting the other engine, now it goes below 100 almost as soon as the start is complete. I now wait until it drops to 50, at least until it gets really hot and I need to get them both spinning and turn on the AC!! :D
Gotta remember that the starter/generator on the these engines pull something like 800 amps spinning up. The better the battery the faster the start and the less likely you have a hot/hung start which can get stupendously expensive. I'm told that I should be happy getting five years.

And I'm just a regular guy who needs to be lots of places and hates the airlines with the intensity of a thousand suns. I flew a fixed gear Saratoga for my first 650 hours.

If your eggs make it to So Cal my 3 daughters are helping you out every morning.

Day one of Initial is done. I acquitted myself well on systems knowledge and procedures. Now on to get my ass kicked in the simulator. :)

Day one of Initial is done. I acquitted myself well on systems knowledge and procedures. Now on to get my ass kicked in the simulator. :)

If they don't do a sufficient job of kicking your ass, make sure to kick theirs. ;)

Back