Anybody want to buy a nice 310?

I think my brain is leaking out of my ears.....

So many scenarios and apparently these planes aren't reliable at all. We had fires, birds, unusual attitudes, gyro failures, high and hot, torque runaway, windshear, hail, electrical issues, etc.

I finished the sim time today with an engine cut at 100 ft leaving Aspen. Used the terrain feature on the Garmin to manuver around the cumulogranite and shot the ILS into Rifle at minimums. I lived to tell the tale. :rofl::goofy::yes:

Very good stuff, but I need a Tylenol. And a nap.

Are you in Dallas? I need to schedule a recurrent soon, the guy I used had an accident and can't fly, so I need a PIREP. :)

So many scenarios and apparently these planes aren't reliable at all. We had fires, birds, unusual attitudes, gyro failures, high and hot, torque runaway, windshear, hail, electrical issues, etc.

I finished the sim time today with an engine cut at 100 ft leaving Aspen. Used the terrain feature on the Garmin to manuver around the cumulogranite and shot the ILS into Rifle at minimums. I lived to tell the tale. :rofl::goofy::yes:

Last edited:

Good thing they didn't launch you the other direction at ASE! ;)

Off to Fresno to go pick her up. Post inspection and mx flights have been completed by the mx facility and the seller has agreed to do a 1.5 - 2 hour shakedown and familiarization flight prior to delivery and acceptance. I've got my mentor pilot along and we will depart Fresno tomorrow for Phoenix for an overnight and then return to Iowa on Wednesday. I'm going to sit right seat for the initial leg to Phoenix and read the checklists and play dutiful SIC. Left seat for the trip back to Iowa. :yes:

Off to Fresno to go pick her up. Post inspection and mx flights have been completed by the mx facility and the seller has agreed to do a 1.5 - 2 hour shakedown and familiarization flight prior to delivery and acceptance. I've got my mentor pilot along and we will depart Fresno tomorrow for Phoenix for an overnight and then return to Iowa on Wednesday. I'm going to sit right seat for the initial leg to Phoenix and read the checklists and play dutiful SIC. Left seat for the trip back to Iowa. :yes:

Awesome news!!

Pics from the cockpit on your right seat leg or it didn't happen. :)

Yes pics of the Jet A exhaust spewing from the stacks is mandatory. Ok I know it's probably not visible but still... Pics mandatory:)

Sounds exciting! Post pics!!!

Fantastic, have a great flight back to Iowa. I love flying into Phoenix... great terrain that's MUCH more visually interesting than the flatlands of Iowa (or Dallas/Fort Worth).

Yes pics of the Jet A exhaust spewing from the stacks is mandatory. Ok I know it's probably not visible but still... Pics mandatory:)

You can't see the exhaust if the engines are working right.

Congrats, Eggman! You're going to enjoy this. :yes:

You can't see the exhaust if the engines are working right.

Congrats, Eggman! You're going to enjoy this. :yes:

I kinda assumed if it's running properly, it burns clean.

I hope he posts pics anyways. If I don't see any I might have to temporarily stop eating eggs:D

I kinda assumed if it's running properly, it burns clean.

Yeah, the PT-6 is not smokey at all. Some turbines are and that's just how they run. It has to do a lot with the combustor and fuel nozzle design.

Sometimes they'll smoke on start.

Mmm... torquey

We had a mx issue on the test flight that was caused by failure of the drive motor for the intertial separator. So we were flying with the separators engaged which causes a power loss. We also are operating in the "go not so fast" mode while I get my IOE.

We were showing a TAS of around 260kts at FL230 on about 65 GPH.

The 310 will be be suffering an inferiority complex when you get the new bird home. :wink2:

No kidding. The number of issues I had on the Aztec went up significantly once I started flying the 310.

We had a mx issue on the test flight that was caused by failure of the drive motor for the intertial separator. So we were flying with the separators engaged which causes a power loss. We also are operating in the "go not so fast" mode while I get my IOE.

We were showing a TAS of around 260kts at FL230 on about 65 GPH.

I find your "Go not so fast" mode to be... well... not so slow. ;)

Long term, your engines will thank you for not operating at redline all the time. At least, that was the case for Meatball Turbines, not sure what experienced Eagle Turbine operators think.

No kidding. The number of issues I had on the Aztec went up significantly once I started flying the 310.

I find your "Go not so fast" mode to be... well... not so slow. ;)

Long term, your engines will thank you for not operating at redline all the time. At least, that was the case for Meatball Turbines, not sure what experienced Eagle Turbine operators think.

I think 275-280 will be a normal cruise at FL250-270.

Cessna's price for the actuator that failed? $6500. It was discovered of the pre-acceptance flight so seller is paying the bill. :yes: The separators need to be out anytime you are in visible moisture with temps below 40*. About a 10 kt penalty when in use.

I continue to be amazed at the relative simplicity of the PT6.

I think 275-280 will be a normal cruise at FL250-270.

Yep, that sounds right.

Cessna's price for the actuator that failed? $6500. It was discovered of the pre-acceptance flight so seller is paying the bill. :yes: The separators need to be out anytime you are in visible moisture with temps below 40*. About a 10 kt penalty when in use.

Those were the same rules as on the Cheyenne. You'll notice the ITTs go up when you turn on the separator (i.e. lose the ram air). It was, also, about a 10 kt penalty.

I continue to be amazed at the relative simplicity of the PT6.

They really are good, simple engines.

I thought it was just the intensity and frequency of the sucking sound coming from be vicinity of your wallet that folks used to measure fuel burn in turbines. ;)

At ground idle, the Cheyenne burned 100 pph/side. So, 200 pph total or over 3 lbs/minute, just to sit there. It had a mechanical fuel totalizer that read in pounds, which we'd reset prior to each engine start.

Sitting there watching the pounds burn away as your avionics warm up, you get your clearance, etc. feels very expensive watching that gauge. And at roughly half a gallon a minute, there was a reason for that.

Oh, and 150 pph/side on the Garrets.

I thought it was just the intensity and frequency of the sucking sound coming from be vicinity of your wallet that folks used to measure fuel burn in turbines. ;)

When you crunch the math, the fuel cost per mile isn't all that different between the 310 and the Conquest. This assumes that the conquest will be able to get into the flight levels and the trip length is >300 miles. The delta is under $0.20/mile. Jet A, particularly contract fuel, is quite a bit cheaper than 100LL.

When you crunch the math, the fuel cost per mile isn't all that different between the 310 and the Conquest. This assumes that the conquest will be able to get into the flight levels and the trip length is >300 miles. The delta is under $0.20/mile. Jet A, particularly contract fuel, is quite a bit cheaper than 100LL.

Stop making me browse MU2s on Controller! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

While at dinner a couple of weeks ago in SDL for the Barret Jackson auction, a few CJ-4 drivers were having a conversation about prices.... Numbers I was hearing were in the 1.05 -1.15 range........

I had to google inertial separator for the PT6.. very interesting. Quite the change in airflow with it activated.

Lunch in Phoenix and made it back to Iowa in enough time to cook dinner for my kids.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N425XP

Nothing like taking the left seat in a new airplane and having to shoot an approach to 900 and 5. :goofy:

Initial thoughts in no particular order.......

Reverse thrust is really nice.

Need to go down? Grab a handful of throttle and give a tug. Engines are perfectly happy. Our piston engines are really a pain in the ass compared to the PT6.

This plane requires much more careful planning for fuel usage, loading and CG. I've been spoiled by the 310 in this regard as the useful is so high and the fuel burn is lower per hour. For example, my pilot gave a ride to my parents today and we had to put bags in the nose to get away from the aft limit. With just myself and my copilot we had to move the bags to the rear baggage to stay away from the front limit.

It is really nice to fly something with excess power. Really nice.

This plane is very yaw sensitive to pitch changes. Every attitude change required a rudder trim adjustment.

The engines can be started so quickly. You can go from cold to ready to taxi in 90 seconds.

It is so quiet. 1700 rpm with four blade props. I forgot to turn on the ANR on my lightspeed and didn't realize it for the first 90 minutes of the flight. In the 310 running out of batteries in the headset is damn near an emergency.

Air conditioning is f'ing awesome.

Things happen pretty quickly and you had better have your mind a few hundred miles ahead of the plane. I didn't feel behind the plane, but didn't feel far enough ahead either. FL250 isn't a place I'm used to. :)

She burns around 30 GPH sitting on the ground while you get your taxi clearance. Getting efficient and up to altitude is a good thing. Not being able to do so can really screw with your planning.

Enough for now, but I'm having a blast.

Back