Alice: Electric plane

Some of us simply don't see electric tech mature enough (yet) to be ready to party.
Some of the projects that people are denouncing *are maturing* that technology. Just because the layperson doesn't see that level of detail in mass-market media and PR material aimed at that layperson in no way means it's not happening.

But we're jumping to Z from A and skipping what's in between
No, I don't believe "we" are.

Nauga,
who sometimes serves in silence

As one of the unwashed masses, I admire innovation and advancement. I just don’t admire unbelievable and suspicious claims. That doesn’t mean I think a battery must be powered by an evil spirit. Now I’ll go back to making cave wall paintings and playing with making fire. :)

Some of the projects that people are denouncing *are maturing* that technology. Just because the layperson doesn't see that level of detail in mass-market media and PR material aimed at that layperson in no way means it's not happening.
I hope so! AvGas is an ever more scarce resource, and turbine power is out of the reach for many. Would be great to be alive through this kind of revolution in powered flight

Comparing the post you quoted to your list, do you think any particular airplane design should not be undertaken until all technology necessary for success is mature? Or perhaps just should be kept under wraps until the tech is mature? Or....what, exactly?

As an engineer that works in new product development I have a lot of respect for those that bring new products to life. It's hard to do and it's very hard to do in a profitable way. In my opinion the first step is to make sure that the work is grounded in reality and that the team making the claims is trustworthy. Is it a stepwise improvement or a giant leap? Does the company, person behind it, etc. have the background to really execute what they're suggesting? The aerospace industry, more than many others has a lot of dreamers. That's not inherently good or bad, but it breeds skepticism when someone makes incredulous claims.

There's a reason the DOD has TRL levels:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK201356/

There's a reason for NASA's x-planes. The X-59 is a recent one and represents a (IMHO) good approach to technology development. They found an interesting technology. They have proven it works to a decent level analytically or via tests (I'm not involved so I don't know any details). And now they're making a flight demonstrator to further the technology. Were this the typical approach of people around general aviation they would have jumped straight to making a 200 person supersonic airliner and I'd expect the effort to fail. Similarly Sikorsky progressed from the X2 to the S-97 to the SB>1. They didn't just jump straight to the SB>1.

Maybe the Alice is a good step towards electric airliners, but it seems like a large jump for a small company. It certainly is going to the next step from where Harbor Air was with the Beaver. Next we have the Heart Aerospace ES-19 with a projected EIS of 2026. Then there's Airbus' Zero-E effort. There's also the De Havilland's Hybrid Electric work. Rolls is jumping into the game as well. I have more faith in Airbus' and De Havilland's efforts than Alice, Heart Aerospace, or other start ups.

I'm sure you've experienced similar throughout your career and have a heavy level of skepticism when you see new products discussed as well.

It looks to me as though the rate of improvement quadrupled in those two time periods. so if you extrapolate that without using the calculus that I have forgotten in the past 50 years, I would expect that the next time frame will quadruple again, so that your next upgrade will provide 800 mile range. Not too shabby and I think even that is underestimating the potential of new battery technologies. And it assumes a rate of increase being proportional to the past 25 years, which I don't believe is at all reasonable.
Extrapolation is a trap. In the earlier days of internal combustion engines, brake specific fuel consumption rose rapidly, then the gains leveled off, and now a gain of a point or two is a big deal. Aircraft speeds similarly rose rapidly, especially during WW2, but if we extrapolated that to now, we should be flying Mach 3 Cessnas. Or something. Olympic athletes now win medals based on finishing fractions of a second ahead of the competition. Tiny gains.

Physics and chemistry impose some really inconvenient limits. We're not certain yet of the limits of battery technology, but it would be a mistake to assume massive gains in the short term. Wishful thinking doesn't make such things happen. Research and hard work do that. Dreaming is one thing; accomplishing is another.

I thought about that, but the math made my brain hurt too.

I know that batteries today cannot compete apples to apples with current ICE engines. But I strongly believe that in the very near future, there will be a huge leap in battery capability, coupled with more efficient motors.

By the way, what electric vehicle did you buy in the '90s? That might explain your hesitancy towards EVs today.
I drive a Solectria Force. It's a great little car. It only let me down one time, when the 12 volt power converter went bad. I found a plug-in replacement for less than $150 including shipping and it's been trouble free ever since.

I'm sure you've experienced similar throughout your career and have a heavy level of skepticism when you see new products discussed as well.
Of course I do, but I try to reserve judgement of their technical progress until I know more technical details. While most of the external focus is on something like "that configuration looks goofy" or "just another quad/octo/pick-a-number copter," or "this mission isn't believable" the observers are missing the underlying technology. I think a lot of progress in motor and motor controller design, contingency management, cert bases, composites; and yes, even battery chemistry, flight-critical software, and CONOPS (three favorite targets here) has been made by some of these 'startup' level projects. Some efforts have been comical, others mind-blowing (at least to me), regardless of the success of the platform.

Nauga,
constant speed, variable noise

Hopefully you are right! I've long been waiting to get away from our old piston powerplants. There's a zeitgeist now around efficiency, electronic tech, so the will is there.. let's see how the reality of it evolves..

PS - has anyone in the EA world done anything meaningful with this? Electric parts are not super hard to come by and generally not cost prohibitive, when compared to how much a new Lycoming costs. Has anyone electrified an RV-6 or some other?
A quick YouTube search will bring up plenty of electric flying machines. Some are homemade ultralight, some are converted 2 seaters, some are factory planes and factory projects. Electric aviation is coming but just like the bulk of the renewable energy industry, storage is the issue. Motors, chargers, motor controllers, inverters, vehicle designs, all are supper efficient these days, it's just hard to store enough electrons.

Everything is impossible until it’s not.

I certainly get the stats n such sited to demonstrate it’s difficulty. But I guess I still think back to how the barber shop talk was back 125 yrs ago.

“those horseless carriages may be an interesting concept, but come on there’s not enough fuel stations around to make travel very practical, and they may be fine fir a few but where would we get enough coal oil to fuel them if everyone wanted one”.

I don’t dismiss the difficulty of the challenge, I just know innovation, especially American innovation should not be bet against based in past performance…

Last edited:
Henry Ford is often quoted as an example. But it wasn’t a breakthrough. The automobile was already invented. He just engineered efficient production and produced a workable, usable product at a price that was acceptable.

Douglass didn’t invent the airplane. Just took current technology and designed the DC 3 which for the first time allowed enough paying payload to be profitable.

But I don’t think we’re even at that point with electric.

We probably need something completely different than battery. Battery is to piston engines vs “something different” is to Jet Engines. And when we find “something else” will still need 10 years of engineering to get it refined enough to be competitive.

Has anyone electrified an RV-6 or some other?
Electric aviation is coming
and CONOPS
Electric aviation is here and about to go mainstream albeit on a smaller scale. We were discussing this in a different thread but thought this reference may be better here. There are several entities globally that about to start commercial pax ops once the global aviation regulatory authorities out which direction to take. With others looking at certification by 2025. While this 1st step isn't at the level some people want to see, its about to start and I don't think it will go away any time soon especially when you see market valuations of billions by 2030 being used in prospectus reports. There's a lot of money being spent right now to make this smaller version of electric aviation work. Just to keep in mind, the Wright Flyer didn't carry pax or offer frequent flyer miles for a spell either. ;)
https://nari.arc.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/UAM_ConOps_v1.0.pdf

This is exactly why I think the battery leap tech thing is mostly fantasy. Compared to other tech we've made incredibly tiny progress in the 220 years since we've had batteries. Remember Volta made the first battery in something like 1790, well before all that other cool stuff we did that you mentioned. That cool stuff we did didn't use batteries but different fuels, etc., that were proven to be better due to the energy density and overall ease of use. Those techs are agnostic of batteries and the advancements of one really can't be used as a premise for the other

We've been trying to make electric cars, energy storage devices, and perfect battery tech for a long time. Tesla has done tremendous work, and has a nearly unlimited source of financial and intellectual power, yet we're still looking at a needed 50-100X improvement in battery energy density to make it comparable to fossil fuels. We're just not there (yet), and there's nothing to substantially prove we're right around the corner

It's like expecting your 401K balance to suddenly yield a 100X return in the next 2-3 years, despite typical annual growth of 5-10%, and believing so because a few crypto coins took off and made people rich. Would be nice it could happen, and it may, but I wouldn't hold my breath
What did anyone need a battery for in 1799? They didn't even have a good theory for electrochemistry until much later, so they didn't have any framework for developing batteries. They were used for telegraphs in the 1800's. People generally didn't need batteries until the late 1800s when zinc-carbon batteries allowed flashlights to be useful (somewhat). Until recently, there just wasn't much R&D in batteries because the lead-acid battery from 1859, carbon-zinc from 1896, NiCAD battery from ~1900, alkaline in 1959, NiMH in the 1980's, and LiIon in ~1970 worked perfectly well. R&D investment comes when someone sees a profit.

Hopefully you are right! I've long been waiting to get away from our old piston powerplants. There's a zeitgeist now around efficiency, electronic tech, so the will is there.. let's see how the reality of it evolves..

PS - has anyone in the EA world done anything meaningful with this? Electric parts are not super hard to come by and generally not cost prohibitive, when compared to how much a new Lycoming costs. Has anyone electrified an RV-6 or some other?
Someone electrified a Xenos: https://www.kitplanes.com/turned-on-we-fly-an-electric-xenos/

just saw this on AVweb. Always liked Paul's reporting

^24 minutes of 'low power' flight time, or 18 minutes with two people on board for the electric.. compared to 5,5 on the gas one

I mean.. I don't even need to say it.

Henry Ford is often quoted as an example. But it wasn’t a breakthrough. The automobile was already invented. He just engineered efficient production and produced a workable, usable product at a price that was acceptable.

Douglass didn’t invent the airplane. Just took current technology and designed the DC 3 which for the first time allowed enough paying payload to be profitable.

But I don’t think we’re even at that point with electric.

We probably need something completely different than battery. Battery is to piston engines vs “something different” is to Jet Engines. And when we find “something else” will still need 10 years of engineering to get it refined enough to be competitive.

that too is not impossible, that it’s “something else” besides battery- but if we don’t cheer on the spirit of innovation we’re likely to be downplaying the one that pans out and shifts the paradigm…

I did t site Ford as the inventor of the auto but the inventor of the idea of the auto for everyone- I’m pretty sure he had lots of barber shop bets against it was what I intended by the reference.

all I know w batteries is 20 years ago cordless drills were for homeowners to s few in three picture hanging screws slowly between charges- now ya can run a whole job site on em, the local ace had a small zero turn mower w a 60v rechargeable this year… bet a handful of years ago no one at the drag strip figured someone could buy a stock Tesla and kick the crap out of a lot of traditional cars at the track.

My stepbrother worked on the joby project (electric passenger drone concept) some pretty amazing advancements made there.

Power plant that I worked in had an ancient generator with a Curtis steam turbine driving it. Same Curtis as in Curtis Wright engines, but about 1910. It had a large bronze plate, forbidding installation in aircraft! It was about a thousand horsepower, and the boiler was huge.

In those days of primitive aircraft, there were dreamers who visualized truly huge aircraft.

Of course I do, but I try to reserve judgement of their technical progress until I know more technical details. While most of the external focus is on something like "that configuration looks goofy" or "just another quad/octo/pick-a-number copter," or "this mission isn't believable" the observers are missing the underlying technology. I think a lot of progress in motor and motor controller design, contingency management, cert bases, composites; and yes, even battery chemistry, flight-critical software, and CONOPS (three favorite targets here) has been made by some of these 'startup' level projects. Some efforts have been comical, others mind-blowing (at least to me), regardless of the success of the platform.

Nauga,
constant speed, variable noise

That’s a valid criticism. Piasecki Aircraft (his second company after the flying banana) does lots of interesting projects without a goal to go to production. How did work on their X-49 impact the development of Sikorsky’s X-2, S-97, SB>1 or Airbus Helicopter’s X-3? Did work by Carter Coper on slowed rotor configurations also play into those more recent designs?

How did Kaman's K16 influence the development of the V22? And that's just one of the many things Kaman did pioneering work on.

Sometimes an idea just has to wait for it's time to come to make it into production. That isn't to say all the earlier work was a waste. It was laid the foundations.

Sometimes an idea just has to wait for it's time to come to make it into production. That isn't to say all the earlier work was a waste. It was laid the foundations.
And it's not just ideas that have to wait. Sometimes long existing technologies need to wait for the right time to make it into new production equipment. For example, the 1st commercial fly-by-wire helicopter will hopefully be certified this year. And how long has FBW been used in commercial aircraft? Unfortunately even old technologies need to be reproven as new uses tend to bring out new issues. And the Bell 525 or AW 609 were no different in the FBW and control law realm which unfortunately cost 4 highly experienced test pilots their lives. One of whom I knew. But to see how that old and new stuff is tweaked behind the scenes to make something completely different can be rather interesting. Especially when you look at a V22 zip by which the concept has been flying for 70 years or these current electric aircraft which have been flying in some form for 50 years.

FWIW: while the K-16 was a tiltwing vs a tiltrotor aircraft the main push behind their collective development was a German tilt-aircraft design from the early 1940s... as were a number of other "modern" aviation concepts. I think after the war we got the better deal on certain engineers when it came to tiltrotors... and rockets.....

Yup. He invented (I think) the assembly line. And he had a few other tricks to keep the costs down. For instance, he had other manufacturers make certain parts, and he had not only the specifications for those parts but the specifications for the boards for the crates they were to be shipped in. Certain dimensions, drilled in very specific places unrelated to the crate's function, and so on. Those manufacturers thought he was neurotic or something, until they visited the factory and found those boards used as the floorboards in the cars. All pre-cut and predrilled and everything.

I don’t dismiss the difficulty of the challenge, I just know innovation, especially American innovation should not be bet against based in past performance…
I appreciate your optimism. Society needs more of that. Despite what many people think of Musk he's kept people interested in space travel and pushing the envelope with tech. I invite you to check out the Owen Magnetic, it's a hybrid electric car from 1915, it's a neat little car.. and shows that people have been interested in EV tech since the barbershop crowd of 1925:

upload_2022-2-4_15-4-6.png
^PS, I love advertising like this, they wrote a full blown story as opposed to the one word cheap adds you see now "FUN FOR THE FAMILY!" or "HIT THE OUTDOORS!" or "POWERTRAIN WARRANTY!".. garbage.

But despite efforts dating back hundreds of years we've always had a cheaper / easier solution. Gas stations popped up overnight.. we haven't seen that with charging stations, despite Teslas having been around now for over two decades and a collective effort to build out the infrastructure

What did anyone need a battery for in 1799?
Maybe not in 1799, but people have had an interest in electric things for a long time (thanks Ben Franklin!).. It inherently holds this mythical ethos to it that captivates (or scares) people.. it has possibilities. But as noted above, I think are going to need to physically run out of fossil fuels or see some serious breakthrough wonder. Either that adapt to a world in which mass people movers traveling near the speed of sound transporting hundreds of people thousands of miles across oceans becomes a thing of the past. Fossil fuel (at least as we know it) will eventually run out

Yup. He invented (I think) the assembly line.

He didn't invent it. Just introduced it to and perfected(in a specific way) it for Model T manufacturing

Paul B has a lot more tact than me.

I appreciate your optimism. Society needs more of that. Despite what many people think of Musk he's kept people interested in space travel and pushing the envelope with tech. I invite you to check out the Owen Magnetic, it's a hybrid electric car from 1915, it's a neat little car.. and shows that people have been interested in EV tech since the barbershop crowd of 1925:

View attachment 104342
^PS, I love advertising like this, they wrote a full blown story as opposed to the one word cheap adds you see now "FUN FOR THE FAMILY!" or "HIT THE OUTDOORS!" or "POWERTRAIN WARRANTY!".. garbage.

But despite efforts dating back hundreds of years we've always had a cheaper / easier solution. Gas stations popped up overnight.. we haven't seen that with charging stations, despite Teslas having been around now for over two decades and a collective effort to build out the infrastructure

Maybe not in 1799, but people have had an interest in electric things for a long time (thanks Ben Franklin!).. It inherently holds this mythical ethos to it that captivates (or scares) people.. it has possibilities. But as noted above, I think are going to need to physically run out of fossil fuels or see some serious breakthrough wonder. Either that adapt to a world in which mass people movers traveling near the speed of sound transporting hundreds of people thousands of miles across oceans becomes a thing of the past. Fossil fuel (at least as we know it) will eventually run out

actually pretty interesting- henry fords wife drove an electric car! It’s at an auto museum near me. That kinda blew me away. The display Said upscale ladies liked em as they didn’t have to hand crank Em n put up w the smells of early autos :)

I invite you to check out the Owen Magnetic, it's a hybrid electric car from 1915, it's a neat little car.. and shows that people have been interested in EV tech since the barbershop crowd of 1925:
View attachment 104342
I'd be interested in seeing how they controlled the motor speed. Back then they had nothing like transistors or pulse width modulation or MOSFETs or anything else. Just huge resistors that got hot, wasting power, and switches.

I'd be interested in seeing how they controlled the motor speed.
They used a mechanical motor controller. It was a wooden drum that rotated and was wrapped in copper plates with copper "fingers" that would alternate the batteries output between parallel and series depending on what gear was selected. I believe there were also resisters used as well to regulate the output. The cars I saw had 2 levers, one for steering and one for gear selection. All in all for the early 1900s it was quite advanced if you asked me. There are a number of sites on the internet that have pics of the motor controllers and other info. Once I get home I'll post a few if you can't find any.

“Gas stations popped up overnight.. we haven't seen that with charging stations, despite Teslas having been around now for over two decades and a collective effort to build out the infrastructure”

AA708413-60F9-4CFE-A6CD-D8A5CBEDD3B0.png Did somebody mention charging stations?
I’m amazed at the number of new charging stations around my neck of the woods every time I boot up PlugShare. It wasn’t that long ago I couldn’t find a single one between my house and downtown Charlotte. And now, well, you get the picture.
Note: this view doesn’t show all of them, it populates as you zoom in.

Attachments

• 9B329358-BB53-4071-8E2E-8C819C9134E8.png
    9B329358-BB53-4071-8E2E-8C819C9134E8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Maybe not in 1799, but people have had an interest in electric things for a long time (thanks Ben Franklin!).. It inherently holds this mythical ethos to it that captivates (or scares) people.. it has possibilities.
Batteries really weren't used for very much until the early 1900's. It wasn't until people used laptops and cell phones that there was much incentive to improve batteries. Most of the battery improvements have been very recent. Some interesting things are just getting scaled up now.

Batteries really weren't used for very much until the early 1900's. It wasn't until people used laptops and cell phones that there was much incentive to improve batteries. Most of the battery improvements have been very recent. Some interesting things are just getting scaled up now.

even for our birds… 30ld lead acid for decades was standard- now we can 13lb oddesies easily installed in many certificated planes and experimental can do 4lb EarthX…

even for our birds… 30ld lead acid for decades was standard- now we can 13lb oddesies easily installed in many certificated planes and experimental can do 4lb EarthX…
Why don't I understand that sentence?

^24 minutes of 'low power' flight time, or 18 minutes with two people on board for the electric.. compared to 5,5 on the gas one

I mean.. I don't even need to say it.

Wow, that's almost a half hour.

"but Tesla" ;)

How about a Sonex?

And it's not just ideas that have to wait. Sometimes long existing technologies need to wait for the right time to make it into new production equipment. For example, the 1st commercial fly-by-wire helicopter will hopefully be certified this year. And how long has FBW been used in commercial aircraft? Unfortunately even old technologies need to be reproven as new uses tend to bring out new issues. And the Bell 525 or AW 609 were no different in the FBW and control law realm which unfortunately cost 4 highly experienced test pilots their lives. One of whom I knew. But to see how that old and new stuff is tweaked behind the scenes to make something completely different can be rather interesting. Especially when you look at a V22 zip by which the concept has been flying for 70 years or these current electric aircraft which have been flying in some form for 50 years.

FWIW: while the K-16 was a tiltwing vs a tiltrotor aircraft the main push behind their collective development was a German tilt-aircraft design from the early 1940s... as were a number of other "modern" aviation concepts. I think after the war we got the better deal on certain engineers when it came to tiltrotors... and rockets.....

How did we beat the Russians to the moon? Our Germans were better than their Germans!

Why don't I understand that sentence?

30lb Gill or concord batteries were the only real option for a typical GA bird for decades. Lead-acid

You can now install an Oddesy battery in many maybe most certificated birds that weigh around 12-14lbs- that a huge weight savings. Glass Matt I believe is the construction style of these.

EarthX makes a battery that weighs around 4lbs! However I don’t believe they can go in certificated birds at last check but experimental flyers can use em.

so even for the tin can Air Force been significant progress has been made in battery tech.

How about a Sonex?
Great! You can fly one hour out of every 25.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool as hell that they're doing it, and obviously the airplanes have to be built to move the technology forward. I wouldn't call a plane with a 1 hour flight time and 24 hour charge time practical, even as a hamburger or pancake breakfast machine. The long recharge time kind of makes it impractical for flight training. So right now -- pretty much a proof of concept. But either the batteries have to get way better or the motors and controllers need to get way more efficient for them to be practical.

The best part is, they're not claiming the electric Xenos is going to be the future of regional air transportation in two years.

Just my opinion, worth every penny you paid for it.

The best part is, they're not claiming the electric Xenos is going to be the future of regional air transportation in two years.

Which is most people's beef with the Alice. It isn't practical for the projected mission at this point. If they advertised it as a technology demonstrator, with more to come later, that would make sense. But with the range/endurance limitations, there's not much you can do with it commercially unless you're flying Seattle > Orcas Island and back in VFR conditions. Think about the impact of a long departure line on its utility. Even if you shut down the motors (which I guess you will), the avionics, cabin lights, HVAC all have to stay "up", so a 15 minute departure line starts eating into already low endurance.

I remember a story in Sport Aviation about a privately owned Mig-21. The pilot indicated that you were in a fuel emergency situation almost as soon as the airplane broke ground because of its terribly limited endurance. They had special procedures worked out with the tower such that they called 15 (or whatever) miles out and the tower gave them immediate landing priority. That sounds a lot like what the Alice would need, except Alice is supposed to be carrying passengers.

So... Technology demonstrator - Yes. Practical commercial airplane - Snork.

Great! You can fly one hour out of every 25.
But either the batteries have to get way better or the motors and controllers need to get way more efficient for them to be practical..
Or both. But the good news is that things are headed in that direction. And the future belongs to those that are prepared.

How come we didn't keep trying to make TNT and black powder more explosive rather than pursing things like nuclear weaponry? Just curious.

How come we didn't keep trying to make TNT and black powder more explosive rather than pursing things like nuclear weaponry? Just curious.
I wonder how many people gave a thousand good reasons why the Manhattan project would never work.

Back