Airbus A320 Down

Come on this is par for the course. Most journalist types know very little about aviation but with the 24 hour cable news stuff they have to fill airtime so they just talk whether or not what they're saying is of any value(or even true).

I can't even watch regular televised news anymore, I'm just cringing at every other story.

Come on this is par for the course. Most journalist types know very little about aviation but with the 24 hour cable news stuff they have to fill airtime so they just talk whether or not what they're saying is of any value(or even true).

I can't even watch regular televised news anymore, I'm just cringing at every other story.

They get paid a lot of mone to show how stupid they are.

heard on the news this evening that the White House has ruled out a terrorist act? How is that possible? Not trying to be a fear monger but as we all know proving a negative, is, well, difficult! How can they rule it out? Do they really know something that the public does not or are they just betting on lack of critical thinking skills of the general public? (usually safe bet)

heard on the news this evening that the White House has ruled out a terrorist act? How is that possible? Not trying to be a fear monger but as we all know proving a negative, is, well, difficult! How can they rule it out? Do they really know something that the public does not or are they just betting on lack of critical thinking skills of the general public? (usually safe bet)

Because terrorists don't do this stuff and keep it secret, it defeats the point of being a terrorist. If it would have been, there would have already been videos deseminated claiming the act.

Because terrorists don't do this stuff and keep it secret, it defeats the point of being a terrorist. If it would have been, there would have already been videos deseminated claiming the act.

I don't remember them claiming 9/11...

Never forget there are terrorists everywhere... and there's a very real(1 in a billion) chance that they'll GET YOU. If you don't go along with everything the government wants to do and try to stand up for the constitution then you're not a real American, you're just a terrorist... and we know what to do with terrorists.... most of the time..

We are really going to get a plane down thread relocated to the spin zone.

my prayers to family and friends. very sad

Last edited:
This really hits close to home... :( I was born and raised nearby Duesseldorf and also know the town the teenagers and their teachers came from well. The town has less than 40,000 residents... This accident will have a huge impact on this town.

When I was at school (in Germany and more then 20 years ago :D) this kind of language training wasn't offered. If you wanted to learn a language you either went into a foreign country during summer vacation or went for six / twelve months into the country to learn the language. Most teenagers went to the US for the six / 12 months period. Going to Spain, France or elsewhere for a week was unheard of.

I wonder, what happens to this kind of education after this accident. :dunno: I wouldn't be surprised, if these travels would be cancelled for future classes.

This really hits close to home... :( I was born and raised nearby Duesseldorf and also know the town the teenagers and their teachers came from well. The town has less than 40,000 residents... This accident will have a huge impact on this town.

When I was at school (in Germany and more then 20 years ago :D) this kind of language training wasn't offered. If you wanted to learn a language you either went into a foreign country during summer vacation or went for six / twelve months into the country to learn the language. Most teenagers went to the US for the six / 12 months period. Going to Spain, France or elsewhere for a week was unheard of.

I wonder, what happens to this kind of education after this accident. :dunno: I wouldn't be surprised, if these travels would be cancelled for future classes.

I hope not, it would be silly to let fear be a detriment to their lives. My cousin really likes doing them (this was likely a trip over the spring holiday) and thinks the are really a good deal.

I hope not, it would be silly to let fear be a detriment to their lives. My cousin really likes doing them (this was likely a trip over the spring holiday) and thinks the are really a good deal.

I hope so too, but you never know. In my opinion, this is a great experience for the kids to learn, that learning and speaking a foreign language can be very helpful. :rolleyes: Learning about different cultures doesn't hurt either...

Spring holiday in North Rhine-Westphalia starts next Monday (03/30).

What makes you suspect it? I see nothing that is suspicious, you have some inside info?

Well... I think it's certainly one of many possibilities and not one that anyone could reasonably rule out yet. Saying something like you did, essentially that there's no evidence to suggest it, sure. But not categorically ruling it out (assuming that's what the WH said -- I'm just going by what's been said here).

Rich

I was just listening to two talk radio commentators who were talking about the crash. Sean Hannity and Tom Sullivan. Tom Sullivan sounded rational mostly but Hannity was a complete, clueless, ignorant moron on the subject. I had to turn him off. I was starting to get angry.

I believe Sullivan is a private pilot and his son is an airline pilot (Boeings and MDs). Hannity is an idiot and can only parrot talking points.

Yeah...I remember sitting in front of the TV scratching my head, wondering if it was just an unfortunate string of accidents, all in one day.

:mad2:
I'm confused by the sarcasm. I didn't say we didn't know who did it. I said they didn't immediately claim responsibility.

Well... I think it's certainly one of many possibilities and not one that anyone could reasonably rule out yet. Saying something like you did, essentially that there's no evidence to suggest it, sure. But not categorically ruling it out (assuming that's what the WH said -- I'm just going by what's been said here).

Rich

At this point nothing can be ruled out, but the terrorist aspect is at the outer range of the radar at this point. Into a mountainside in the middle of nowhere? Not much terror value in that.:dunno:

At this point nothing can be ruled out, but the terrorist aspect is at the outer range of the radar at this point. Into a mountainside in the middle of nowhere? Not much terror value in that.:dunno:

Didn't stop all the rumors for MH370........:rolleyes:

Heard today the airplane had just been through a maintenance cycle yesterday. Wanna bet there are some mechanics not sleeping well right now?

So many things, you say "oh the plane broke", then find out someone just worked on it...not good.

Heard today the airplane had just been through a maintenance cycle yesterday. Wanna bet there are some mechanics not sleeping well right now?

So many things, you say "oh the plane broke", then find out someone just worked on it...not good.

Yeah, and the pilots today were refusing to fly...

How could a plane crash mean you can't study abroad?

How could a plane crash mean you can't study abroad?

Different thing, these are week long class "field trips" run by the schools. The schools may choose to eliminate the program's if the liability is too high or parents don't want the kids to go.

That is what's bothering me..... like there is some inside story we are not hearing between mechanics and pilots, or mechanics and management.

Not trying to insinuate anything though, just my thoughts.

That is what's bothering me..... like there is some inside story we are not hearing between mechanics and pilots, or mechanics and management.

Well the pilots and management have been having pay disputes for months now at Lufthansa, so I think it's quite likey that they are taking advantage of the opportunity to some degree. It's not a lot different of a situation as when AA did American Eagle, or Delta did Comair... here to reduce payroll costs on low revenue routes. Ryan Air has totally turned the European market to the same as the American one where all the airlines are now in a race for the bottom. :sigh::nonod:

In the German news it was said, that pilots and crews felt 'unfit to fly' and this was not related to the type of airplane those crews were flying... In other articles it was said, that A320 crews refused to fly. Not sure, which is correct, though... :dunno:

In the German news it was said, that pilots and crews felt 'unfit to fly' and this was not related to the type of airplane those crews were flying... In other articles it was said, that A320 crews refused to fly. Not sure, which is correct, though... :dunno:

I have found the best way to learn the truth from media is to go to foreign media rather than local.

Just watched the CNN video on it. Showed they had a normal decent path with nothing erratic, however there were atleast 3 nearby airports they could have landed at near they're decent path but they went far beyond them.

Just watched the CNN video on it. Showed they had a normal decent path with nothing erratic, however there were atleast 3 nearby airports they could have landed at near they're decent path but they went far beyond them.

This one will likely be interesting.

This one will likely be interesting.

Agreed. Hopefully the FDR and CVR are undamaged. Almost looks like Otto took the plane all the way in. I hadn't realized they were descending already over the French coast. Like that CNN video pointed out, plenty of places to put the plane down if the pilots were in command.

Agreed. Hopefully the FDR and CVR are undamaged. Almost looks like Otto took the plane all the way in. I hadn't realized they were descending already over the French coast. Like that CNN video pointed out, plenty of places to put the plane down if the pilots were in command.

Look at the trace from AF447, that sucker was in direct hand control with no limiters in place and flew a perfect falling leaf stall. Just because the path is perfect doesn't mean the AP was on. If the pilot doesn't enter a change input, the plane will hold last input most of the time it appears.

I was just listening to two talk radio commentators who were talking about the crash. Sean Hannity and Tom Sullivan. Tom Sullivan sounded rational mostly but Hannity was a complete, clueless, ignorant moron on the subject.

First time listening to Hannity, huh? :D

Look at the trace from AF447, that sucker was in direct hand control with no limiters in place and flew a perfect falling leaf stall. Just because the path is perfect doesn't mean the AP was on. If the pilot doesn't enter a change input, the plane will hold last input most of the time it appears.

I'm not sure which video Ryan was referring to, but here is a CNN video with nice graphical depictions as well as wx info.

CNN

The descent appears to have started shortly after crossing the coastline, but still within easy turning distance. But anyways, AP or no, where was the crew? Like you said, this will be an interesting one. Hopefully not checking on the status of landing gear indicator fuses!

I'm not sure which video Ryan was referring to, but here is a CNN video with nice graphical depictions as well as wx info.

CNN

The descent appears to have started shortly after crossing the coastline, but still within easy turning distance. But anyways, AP or no, where was the crew? Like you said, this will be an interesting one. Hopefully not checking on the status of landing gear indicator fuses!

:dunno: That is the $64,000 question isn't it.

Back