Airbus A320 Down

In the Gulfstream G550 we have a feature called EDM (Emergency Descent Mode)
This will all happen automatic. With no pilot input.

Aircraft above 40,000 feet
Auto Pilot and Auto Throttles Engaged. THROTTLES GO TO IDLE
CABIN PRESSURE LOW red message
Aircraft Turns 90° Left of Present Course
Descends to 15,000 feet
Speed set at VMO / MMO 340 KCAS
Upon reaching 15,000 feet, aircraft speed is 250 KCAS, remaining at the 90° off set course

Can anybody comment on the A320 if it has a system like this installed.

STEEL

Descends to 15,000 feet
Upon reaching 15,000 feet, aircraft speed is 250 KCAS, remaining at the 90° off set course

STEEL

Why does it turn 90° instead of staying on course?

And here we go with the public crazies...

Anita Gofradump 2 hours ago
If this plane were flying in meters instead of feet, descent would have been 1/3 as much and chance of at least someone surviving would have been dramatically higher... WHAT A SHAME... particularly for a European airline that should have been using the metric system...

Why does it turn 90° instead of staying on course?

I think it has to do with. Not descending through the oceanic tracks / airways over the ocean. And it also helps unload the wing for a faster decent.

Sorry wish I had the tech answer I just drive them.

But that would be my best guess.

Steel

Descends to 15,000 feet

STEEL

No it doesn't.

Descends to 15,000 feet

STEEL

Interesting.

CNN reporting they have listened to part of audio file from CVR

How many cycles? How many hours? Could it be that the airframe failed and everyone went to sleep for lack of oxy? Possible? It was run hard and hung up wet wasn't it?

How many cycles? How many hours? Could it be that the airframe failed and everyone went to sleep for lack of oxy? Possible? It was run hard and hung up wet wasn't it?

That's the lifecycle of every airliner, that's how you make money with them. When the fares drop, the money available for maintenance shrinks. The airlines have been a race for the bottom for decades now.

Like I said a week prior to the crash I paid 75 Euros round trip for same flight for my daughter from Barcelona to Dusseldorf ...sort of the normal price with the Ryan Air competition in Europe...I just have to wonder and with nothing obvious yet most of the inflight catastrophic failures I have been around are maintenance related...if you do the math its hard to keep them flying profitable with that pricing. I don't think they have the heavy subsidies they once had as a national carrier.

My best guess at this point is that the nose gear door tore off about the point the decent started. The pressure blew out some corroded panels causing the decompression event which deformed the cockpit floor keeping the pilots from O2 (or damaging the control system) incapacitating them from control. The extra drag from the big air scoop caused the descent and flew into the side of a mountain.

My best guess at this point is that the nose gear door tore off

Yeah, I know I read somewhere that the plane had repairs done to the doors prior to flight. Oh, and would the panels have to be corroded to deform? Having that open up at 400kts can't be good.

My best guess at this point is that the nose gear door tore off about the point the decent started. The pressure blew out some corroded panels causing the decompression event which deformed the cockpit floor keeping the pilots from O2 (or damaging the control system) incapacitating them from control. The extra drag from the big air scoop caused the descent and flew into the side of a mountain.

But right before they hit the mountain, Cheryl Ladd came through a time gate and snatched all the passengers in order to repopulate the future.

Yeah, I know I read somewhere that the plane had repairs done to the doors prior to flight. Oh, and would the panels have to be corroded to deform? Having that open up at 400kts can't be good.

I don't know the construction details, but I would think that it would be designed and constructed well enough that the loss of the gear doors in flight would not breech the integrity of the wheel wells much less the pressure vessel. I think for this scenario to play out it would require an element of preexisting structural weakness. I could be wrong on that, like I said, "best guess". There could be a design failure, they did one on the stall warning system that shut up when the stall got "unbelievably deep", but that was a human factors error, not an engineering issue. From the engineering aspect, the Airbus appears nothing but superb and thoroughly thought out.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to go into the anal retentive potting detail. Glad we have others who want that job.

Geez.....
What a flashback to my old C-Band satellite days and unpotting the VC-2 Digicipher boards so they could be "chipped".........

Fun times back then....:):):yes:

And here we go with the public crazies...

Anita Gofradump 2 hours ago
If this plane were flying in meters instead of feet, descent would have been 1/3 as much and chance of at least someone surviving would have been dramatically higher... WHAT A SHAME... particularly for a European airline that should have been using the metric system...

Don't tell Ms Gofradumb (LMAO) that its speed was measured in knots...

:rolleyes2:

That's the lifecycle of every airliner, that's how you make money with them. When the fares drop, the money available for maintenance shrinks. The airlines have been a race for the bottom for decades now.

Guys, transport planes are not maintained like GA aircraft. :nonod:

These planes go through extensive inspections and rebuilds on schedule. Everything gets disassembled, inspected and rebuilt, over and over.

These planes go through extensive inspections and rebuilds on schedule. Everything gets disassembled, inspected and rebuilt, over and over.

Yes, and how many times have airlines been busted for failing to maintain standards? How many airliners have unzipped due to corrosion? I remember one where the corrosion was so thick the door frame was distorted.The industry is as full of bad actors as any other, that is why there's is such strong oversight. If airline execs had their way it would bankrupt the entire aviation insurance system.

Last edited:

So, no transport plane has ever had a structural or mechanical failure?:rolleyes2:

Yes, and how many times have airlines been busted for failing to maintain standards? The industry is as full of bad actors as any other, that is why there's is such strong oversight. If airline execs had their way it would bankrupt the entire aviation insurance system

Since Lufthansa is the parent company, and Lufthansa owns Lufthansa Tecknik, a huge MRO for Airbus, I hardly see Lufthansa taking shortcuts on maintenance.

Couple that with the LBA and I don't believe oversight is a problem. :rolleyes:

Since Lufthansa is the parent company, and Lufthansa owns Lufthansa Tecknik, a huge MRO for Airbus, I hardly see Lufthansa taking shortcuts on maintenance.

........... :rolleyes:

Interesting.. I did not know that.......

The upcoming lawsuits are gonna get REAL ugly... REAL quick..... with the finger pointing in both directions....:redface::redface:

There's probably some EU rule that addresses this, since all countries involved are in the EU.

It crashed in France..... And left from Spain.......

The lawyers are gonna have a field day just determining jurisdiction...

For a minute there I thought you were setting up for the classic riddle:
If a plane takes off from Spain but crashes on the border of France and Germany, where are the survivors buried?

Yes but.......then we have the airliner in Hawaii that lost a few panels in flight, stewardess popped out died , it landed safely only because they were fairly low to begin with. True?

Yes but.......then we have the airliner in Hawaii that lost a few panels in flight, stewardess popped out died , it landed safely only because they were fairly low to begin with. True?

Not to mention the cargo hatch failures, the structural repair failures, the burning batteries...

Don't worry, R&W ignores them all...

Yes. That accident and a few others brought more stringent rules, such as the AAiP (Aging Aircraft Inspection Program) and more emphasis on Aircraft Corrosion.

My point is people not familiar with transports get the idea that they are maintained like small GA aircraft, which is not the case.

Catastrophic failures come in all types from life cycle to just incompetence its not an indictment of Germanwings, Lufthansa or Airbus...Weather was no factor...all agencies saying no bomb...ATC no factor, so we are basically down to pilot suicide or maintenance...

My kid that flew the same route last week takes another A320 from Barcelona to Frankfurt and then an A380 to Houston tomorrow on Lufthansa on her Easter break...then back. Sort of like them to figure it out...

Catastrophic failures come in all types from life cycle to just incompetence its not an indictment of Germanwings, Lufthansa or Airbus...Weather was no factor...all agencies saying no bomb...ATC no factor, so we are basically down to pilot suicide or maintenance...

My kid that flew the same route last week takes another A320 from Barcelona to Frankfurt and then an A380 to Houston tomorrow on Lufthansa on her Easter break...then back. Sort of like them to figure it out...

How in the hell do they know for sure, this early into the investigation....:dunno::dunno::dunno:...

How in the hell do they know for sure, this early into the investigation....:dunno::dunno::dunno:...

Clearly you understand that the faster they get the correct spin out there, the better they control the storyline.

It has been decided that there was no bomb. So let it be written - so let it be done. :confused:

They don't; they just want to be our daddies. I remember telling my toddler daughter who was afraid of thunderstorms that the thunder was just the angels bowling.

Sometimes you have to lie to your kids so they feel safe. The governments just don't view us as adults anymore.

Clearly you understand that the faster they get the correct spin out there, the better they control the storyline.

It has been decided that there was no bomb. So let it be written - so let it be done. :confused:

You are right..... Silly me for thinking they would actually LIE to us...:mad2::mad2::redface:

Back