Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

Jerry claims that the GTN is supposed to switch the localizer frequency from standby to active on its own when you are flying an ILS. Is there any truth in that expectation or is he just confused with the automatic change from GPS to VLOC?
As others said, he's wrong. There may be exceptions but Garmin's SOP is to move the frequency for a selected approach into standby. The reason is, even if navigating primarily with GPS, you may be using the VLOC frequency which is already in active. It's not going to replace that unless you tell it to.

At 8:30, he’s cleared to cross GROVE at or above 3,400, but 80 seconds later, he’s descended a whopping 350’. He’s also coming in at 190kts ground speed (big tailwind at altitude). This sets up the epic fail.

Remember how he armed the AP ALT for 3,500 so he “wouldn’t overshoot?” Look what happens a few minutes later - he’s fighting the a/c, trying to push the nose down, level at 3,300, about 700’ above glideslope and diverging. Also well above VLE, so he can’t configure (even if he remembers to). I’ll bet money the airplane was way out of trim when he paddles the AP off. Then dives for the deck, at 190kts GS, in a >3000 FPM dive, expecting the AP to capture the glideslope.

This could have been avoided by a) recognizing the shallow initial descent, and b) slowing down - all well before the bad AP settings, expectations, and recovery.

If it does, pretty sure it would not do it until it was captured and maybe needles need to be centered. He wasn’t close, I think it was just after he got the final vector.

Na it doesn’t do it automatically. You have to hit the button. Plus it won’t “capture “ if you aren’t on that frequency. It’s just another “Jerry being Jerry” thing.

Jerry claims that the GTN is supposed to switch the localizer frequency from standby to active on its own when you are flying an ILS. Is there any truth in that expectation or is he just confused with the automatic change from GPS to VLOC?

Using the GTN and 2 G5’s in my plane, if you activate vectors, it will automatically select Green Needles (Loc/GS) with the ILS final approach course set. The Loc freq remains in standby. You have to manually select the Loc freq from standby to active.

I love the statement at the end of the video “that was a textbook maneuver don’t you think?”

Yeah, if an unstable approach is text book, then Jerry nailed it. Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it does, pretty sure it would not do it until it was captured and maybe needles need to be centered. He wasn’t close, I think it was just after he got the final vector.
It doesn't do what he said it does - Switch the NAV to the ILS from standby. It puts the freq in standby when the approach is loaded and can auto-switch from GPS to VLOC, but you need to change the frequency manually as others have said.

It doesn't do what he said it does - Switch the NAV to the ILS from standby. It puts the freq in standby when the approach is loaded and can auto-switch from GPS to VLOC, but you need to change the frequency manually as others have said.

That makes sense.

Come on guys... give some timestamps so we don't have to watch the whole thing to find the easter eggs. :D

And what's with the guy in the right seat? Are his ears oriented opposite of every one else's?

Last edited:
Come on guys... give some timestamps so we don't have to watch the whole thing to find the easter eggs. :D

And what's with the guy in the right seat? Are his ears oriented opposite of every one else's?

Here’s the highlights - it’s a crapfest starting at about 8:30 when he’s at 6000 and almost 200kts GS, given a descent to 4000, and barely descends for the next several minutes.

At 9:56, he’s almost into the turn onto the LOC, cleared to 3400 and intercept, but he’s still at 5600. He then arms the AP ALT for 3500. This comes into play later.

At 11:13, he passes GROVE 1100’ above the typical altitude for an intercept from below, still at 190kts GS.

At 11:50, he’s fighting the nose down, but the autopilot is winning because it’s now trying to hold the 3500 altitude he armed earlier. Well above glideslope and diverging. 180KIAS

12:02, figures out the altitude hold.

12:20 starts a 3000FPM dive, 7° nose down, well above VFE and VLE. Has to deploy spoilers. Can’t figure out why he’s not slowing down.

12:39 blows through glideslope - A/P “it should capture it,” except he’s now pulling out of a dive.

12:45 ATC gives a low altitude alert. You can actually hear the MSAW going off in the background.

12:53 “I meant to do that, haha”

13:18 realizes he’s not configured

14:19 talks about his round of golf later

14:29 “localizer glideslope localizer glideslope localizer glideslope”

15:30 executes a crosswind landing, slightly left of centerline

Had this been solid IFR, I truly believe we’d be reading about an accident.

Here’s the highlights - it’s a crapfest starting at about 8:30 when he’s at 6000 and almost 200kts GS, given a descent to 4000, and barely descends for the next several minutes.

At 9:56, he’s almost into the turn onto the LOC, cleared to 3400 and intercept, but he’s still at 5600. He then arms the AP ALT for 3500. This comes into play later.

At 11:13, he passes GROVE 1100’ above the typical altitude for an intercept from below, still at 190kts GS.

At 11:50, he’s fighting the nose down, but the autopilot is winning because it’s now trying to hold the 3500 altitude he armed earlier. Well above glideslope and diverging. 180KIAS

12:02, figures out the altitude hold.

12:20 starts a 3000FPM dive, 7° nose down, well above VFE and VLE. Has to deploy spoilers. Can’t figure out why he’s not slowing down.

12:39 blows through glideslope - A/P “it should capture it,” except he’s now pulling out of a dive.

12:45 ATC gives a low altitude alert. You can actually hear the MSAW going off in the background.

12:53 “I meant to do that, haha”

13:18 realizes he’s not configured

14:19 talks about his round of golf later

14:29 “localizer glideslope localizer glideslope localizer glideslope”

15:30 executes a crosswind landing, slightly left of centerline

I flat out stopped watching his videos, even for the laughable entertainment value, but surely you forgot the parts where he blamed everyone and everything else for his mistakes, at least the ones that were so blatantly obvious even he picked up on them........

I flat out stopped watching his videos, even for the laughable entertainment value, but surely you forgot the parts where he blamed everyone and everything else for his mistakes, at least the ones that were so blatantly obvious even he picked up on them........

Actually, the part that made me most upset in the moment was when he used the controller’s name in the video and on air*. That’s BS on a lot of levels and needs to stop.

*edit: in response to the low altitude alert. It’s a salesman domination technique. And I’m not buying what he’s trying to sell.

I enjoyed his response to the comment:

Jake Marx
18 hours ago (edited)
LOL! "Checkin' in" and "with you" all in the same transmission! And just imagine how smooth this approach would be if one were not 1100' above the target altitude at GROVE and didn't have to dive to capture the glideslope. Piloting to create instability at the very point at which stability is most important is not a good idea.
Read more

Jerry Wagner

13 hours ago
What better way to demonstrate this than to do it will full knowledge, experience is the best teacher, you can simulate something but actually doing it makes it real. I had full control of the aircraft throughout all segments of the flight

“I had full control of the aircraft throughout all segments of the flight”

Isn’t that something which is also true of CFIT?

Last edited:

Isn’t that something which is also true of CFIT?

The only time his aircraft is under full control is when the autopilot is engaged. :)

I'm compiling a list of potential DPE's for my upcoming IFR check ride. I wonder who Jerry used?

I’m not sure if it’s a good thing to say you blew the approach intentionally, from a legal aspect. Certainly not in light of the hazardous attitudes on display.
I agree…I don’t think I’d admit to intentionally flying like that.

You would think that but there is empirical evidence he does this all the time in both VMC and IMC.

Very true. This was pretty egregious, though. The risk of CFIT notwithstanding, being that far behind the plane, rapidly changing acceleration in multiple axes, and lacking configuration would have made for an interesting outcome, especially with regard to spatial disorientation.

The CAVU saved his butt. That’s the only way he knew he needed to push the nose down and how he got away with doing it while swooping under the G/S. Try that when it’s more than just a thin marine layer or broken clouds (not to minimize those conditions, but I can’t recall seeing Jerry fly an entire approach in solid, which-way-is-up IFR).

I also noticed he has an interesting concept of missed approaches. He did the same thing departing in zero-zero from KLLR on a since-deleted video, but his concept seems to be that if the MA calls for a right turn anywhere, then the whole right side is “protected,” where in reality, it’s very specific avenues of protection as described in the procedure. I’d hate to see a budding pilot take his stance, but he has a pretty large audience. I notice that all the folks who usually hoot and holler approval are pretty silent on this latest one, though.

There is one into OAK where people say he went below minimums. He was the only aircraft of a number which did not go missed. It's in this thread somewhere.
As Jerry explained, he went below min, but did not exceed "Secondary Mins". These are special minimums used by ace pilots like Jerry.

Ok, I'm not a fan boy, and that approach far from great, but, at least as he showed it, I don't think he went that low. My understanding of those altitude warnings from ATC is that they are automated, the algorithm tracks you as you are flying, anticipates if you are going to bust a minimum altitude by taking into account your altitude and your descent rate. In other words, if you are above the glide slope, descending at a very high rate to capture it, the algorithm doesn't anticipate you abruptly stopping the descent and sounds an alarm if it looks like you will get too low, which the controller relays. Technically, I don't think Jerry did anything wrong, he got 1 dot below the glide slope by the time he stopped the descent. Is he guilty of crappy flying? Yup, should he be teaching anyone to fly? Nope.

Ok, I'm not a fan boy, and that approach far from great, but, at least as he showed it, I don't think he went that low. My understanding of those altitude warnings from ATC is that they are automated, the algorithm tracks you as you are flying, anticipates if you are going to bust a minimum altitude by taking into account your altitude and your descent rate. In other words, if you are above the glide slope, descending at a very high rate to capture it, the algorithm doesn't anticipate you abruptly stopping the descent and sounds an alarm if it looks like you will get too low, which the controller relays. Technically, I don't think Jerry did anything wrong, he got 1 dot below the glide slope by the time he stopped the descent. Is he guilty of crappy flying? Yup, should he be teaching anyone to fly? Nope.

As always, it’s the hubris, the hazardous attitudes, the denial, and the matter-of-fact way he presents his streams as educational (despite the disclaimer to the contrary).

That said, at some point it’s going to cost him. Hopefully he keeps practicing approaches on CAVU days like that and all he has to worry about is tripping the MSAW algorithm.

Also, I’ve recognized a pattern that Jerry regularly intends to do the bare minimum to remain legal, rather than providing a margin of safety and has a “that’s their problem” scofflaw attitude.
re: Hubris, hazardous attitudes, and denial:
Sadly I run into those types more and more these days, and from some instructors as well.

I don't think so. The one I am talking about involves a well-executed coupled approach into OAK. No unusual attitudes or other gymnastics. Just arguably below vis minimums.

i think the first one you listed may be the one my annotated photo came from.

Well, he’s got a new one up. Taxis out for
takeoff right in front of a Velocity that’s on short final, completely oblivious. Then proceeds to start his roll before acknowledging and verifying where the Velocity went. Unfortunately, my comments don’t show on his channel, but I can see them, so I must be shadow-banned.

Edit - I was wrong. Per the other pilot, he did not cut in front.

Last edited:
Well, he’s got a new one up. Taxis out for
takeoff right in front of a Velocity that’s on short final, completely oblivious. Then proceeds to start his roll before acknowledging and verifying where the Velocity went. Unfortunately, my comments don’t show on his channel, but I can see them, so I must be shadow-banned.

Unbelievable, that was really clueless. That video won't stay up for long. Neither one even glanced at the final and that Velocity made many calls.

Unbelievable, that was really clueless. That video won't stay up for long. Neither one even glanced at the final and that Velocity made many calls.

Bonus: we didn’t even have to watch for five minutes to see him get behind things.

He's done that on video before. Even if it weren't illegal and unsafe, it's extremely rude.

I'm pretty sure that is a violation of 14 CFR § 91.113(g) Right of way rules - Landing

Edit: Or not

Last edited:
JFR: We're at a lower altitude than they are so we have right of way.

Can't believe he rolled on to the active with someone on short final making good radio calls. He didn't even seem to be bothered with where the aircraft going around over his head was before taking off.

He owns every piece of aviation he touches! Actually, I feel like the sequence where he's lining up on 25, talking about the Velocity, is full of denial. I think he knew and was posturing to make it look like it wasn't a big deal to his right-seater. We've seen him blow-off several things the same way: The Bay Bridge incident. The dive toward the runway. The botched ODP at KLLR. The recent dive under the glideslope at KOAK. I'm sure there's a lot more.

I took a look at his return track from KMEV back to KAUN. I wonder if he'll post that video as well. If he does, watch for him skimming the waves at Lake Tahoe.

edit - I was wrong, per the other pilot, he didn’t cut in front. Doesn’t change the other events.

Last edited:
He owns every piece of aviation he touches! Actually, I feel like the sequence where he's lining up on 25, talking about the Velocity, is full of denial. I think he knew and was posturing to make it look like it wasn't a big deal to his right-seater. We've seen him blow-off several things the same way: The Bay Bridge incident. The dive toward the runway. The botched ODP at KLLR. The recent dive under the glideslope at KOAK. I'm sure there's a lot more.

I took a look at his return track from KMEV back to KAUN. I wonder if he'll post that video as well. If he does, watch for him skimming the waves at Lake Tahoe.
What also blows my mind is that accidentally cutting someone off on final and making them go around is a teachable moment a good instructor would seize as an opportunity to talk about what they did (or didn't do), why it happened, and what they can do better in the future to prevent it.

All this because he can't stop talking to the camera and listen to the mf radio... :mad:

All this because he can't stop talking to the camera and listen to the mf radio... :mad:
I haven’t watched this video yet, but I’ve seen another one where he talked about the traffic on final as he pulled out in front and forced the guy to go around. Listening to the radio isn’t enough.

Back