Would you fly this low over water?

Yes, very sad actually. I spent my first 7.1 hours at an uncontrolled airport. Then switched to an active class C for the rest of my training, KFAT to be specific. Turning left base for 29L into a regional jet on final for the parallel was pretty common.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

No kidding. KFAT is far busier than one would expect.

And not only airliners, but ANG fighters landing in formation, and CalFire in summer. Don't F around with the "no transgression zone."

I presume you trained at Chandler. Much more laid back. Well, except for all the $@#% helicopters.

Is it just me or is he landing that airplane like most doctors land Bos.....way too damn fast. Ate up a crap ton of runway in the flare.

Yeah, I counted 1400 feet of float (7 stripes). Good thing he lands on long runways. Palo Alto might give him some trouble.

No problem here with low over water. Didn't care much for the piano music though,,,:D

Yeah, this guy doesn't seem to care that he overshoots so much. I am amazed he hasn't had an incident thus far, pretty crazy.

Low over water I don't care, buzzing houses, Inns and golf courses is bad joojoo for all of us. As for overshooting, did you get a load of his 45 degree entry to Little River? He overshot that right across the departure zone of the runway, crossed back over it again then entered downwind.

This guy's a lousy pilot and darn calm about it too.

Low over water I don't care, buzzing houses, Inns and golf courses is bad joojoo for all of us. As for overshooting, did you get a load of his 45 degree entry to Little River? He overshot that right across the departure zone of the runway, crossed back over it again then entered downwind.

Look at his arrival into Oakland. Not only did he overshoot the extended centerline of 28R, he also blasted through 28L, made a moderately steep bank, and went right back through it.

It's a good thing there wasn't another airplane there on a parallel approach.

He seems WAY behind the airplane to me.

I suppose it's a good thing he seems to approach and land fast as hell, 'cause he's a base-to-final stall waiting to happen if he ever does that at a reasonable speed. 60 deg banks in the pattern? Yikes.

^ya all that..

Dang! Gear down at 100'and a sharp steep turn at less than that before touch down? I guess I've been doing it wrong?

Hot damn, it's a good thing the usual helicopters hover taxiing down Twy C weren't there.

What kind of idiot would EVER CTL on 33? It's relatively narrow, unlighted, and the go-around points you right at the Coliseum and then the Oakland Hills. Even so, the approach is for 28L, so there is no reason not to fly straight over 28L while setting up for a turn to 33. The minimum for that approach is 700 feet, not 100 feet.

I'm not familiar with that airplane's sight picture, but it looked to me like he did a 3-pointer. And still floated 800 feet.

Last edited:
With as much flying as he does you'd think he'd get better at it :dunno:

I ride the tube of boredom into SFO a lot and watching these videos I get this sinking feeling I will be looking out the window one day and see this guy overshooting right into us...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYgD8YenjY Here is another one.

Last edited:
Should they add it to the atis? We all make mistakes, but dang.

Last edited:
"Tap the brakes, make an early turn out." Nobody cares about that? I couldn't stand to watch any more.

dtuuri

"Tap the brakes, make an early turn out." Nobody cares about that? I couldn't stand to watch any more.

dtuuri

There is lots of stuff to criticize.

Like sitting on the runway lined up at AUN while three guys check in on CTAF.

But honestly, it's the landings that I find really scary. Lots of people use 33 to shorten otherwise long taxis at OAK, but not approaching over Twy C. Tower didn't want him over 28R due to construction crews, but a sensible pilot would have flown "base" over 28L or even further out, and not as a CTL under a pretty low overcast.

His comments on the video when I questioned him:

I went back and looked at the approach plate where I got the low altitude warning and the tower was in error as I was above the MDA at that point, its common for Oakland tower to give gear reminders, if you watch my videos I am checking the gear multiple times prior to landing, the turn to runway 33 was not dangerous considering that I always talk about keeping your airspeed up when low to the ground I don't remember overshooting any runways; thanks for watching my videos.

Last edited:
Ooh, that's bad.

Every video of his I watched had some overshoot. Most of them quite a bit.

And he doesn't level off until 600 feet on the video in question. The minimum was at least 900 at that step-down. And the MDA is 720 feet.

Here is the approach he flew:
http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1508/00294VD28L.PDF

While I can't make out his DME, the VOR/DME is located on the FAR end of the runway he's approaching, and the runway length is just over a mile. It really looks like more than 3.1 DME to me when he levels out.

And, for the record, I've never heard a gear warning from OAK tower, either for me or for any other plane. And I did my initial complex checkout there.

Last edited:
It's like he's documenting all his poor approaches. I realize that we're all human and stuff happens but I wouldn't be so eager to post all my screwups on youtube.

The FAA has been known to go after pilots because of YouTube videos... ask Jason Newburg. This ended up being resolved, but the only evidence they had, he provided! Be careful what you post!

It's like he's documenting all his poor approaches. I realize that we're all human and stuff happens but I wouldn't be so eager to post all my screwups on youtube.

It seems like he is trying to act like a flight instructor, but he is so busy trying to explain everything, he is constantly behind the airplane.

It seems like he is trying to act like a flight instructor, but he is so busy trying to explain everything, he is constantly behind the airplane.

I do get that impression. The IFR looks pretty good (aside from busting his step-down altitude). The one time he had his altimeter set wrong appears to be a common NorCal problem -- I've had it happen twice now (in only about 10 hours IFR) that NorCal gave me an altimeter setting for one airport, but they expected me to set another, and there was a >100 foot difference. The microclimates can change altimeter settings rapidly as you cross the mountain ranges.

But the VFR basics are scary. His altimeter read 80 feet when he did that last turn onto 33. I suppose it might be an "expert pilot moment" if he landed precisely on the centerline, but he doesn't seem to be able to hold the center either.

Last edited:
The FAA has been known to go after pilots because of YouTube videos... ask Jason Newburg. This ended up being resolved, but the only evidence they had, he provided! Be careful what you post!

I never understood why people want to not only create, but publish, this kind of evidence against themselves.:dunno:

I never understood why people want to not only create, but publish, this kind of evidence against themselves.:dunno:

They think it makes them look "cool".

Kind of like the guy with the loudest motorcycle running full throttle through the neighborhood at midnight with no shirt and no helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has clearly been flying this way for sometime now. Like mentioned above, he gets caught up trying to explain things and gets behind the plane. He really shouldn't be positing these videos

He busted mins on that KOAK approach pretty badly. (When he got the low alt alert from the tower).
Also - is that really good airmanship to drop down 2000ft/min to every stepdown fix, with no apparent reason at all? I'd think that is just uncomfortable and unnecessary.

He busted mins on that KOAK approach pretty badly. (When he got the low alt alert from the tower).
Also - is that really good airmanship to drop down 2000ft/min to every stepdown fix, with no apparent reason at all? I'd think that is just uncomfortable and unnecessary.

No, it's not IMO, but I've never been a fan of "dive and drive", I typically figure what the GS required would be and add a small fudge factor which typically has me descending <1000fpm.

I am the Pilot that has posted these videos, Wow, what a critical bunch on this thread that needs some clairifications.

1. Flying low over calm water in a twin engine airplane is not "unsafe" there are no power poles or power lines, towers or other obstructions. FAA regulations allow you to fly over desolate areas and over open bodies of water as low as you want as long as you keep 500 feet from any person, object or structure.
2. I keep the "500 foot string" from these items when I fly, the GoPro camera is on the narrow view setting that makes objects seem closer.
3. The tight turn to runway 33 is common here in Oakland as many times the tower will instruct you to keep north of runway 28R.
4. Yes, I have overshot some runway centerlines, it happens on occasion when your entering the pattern at a high speed, HOWEVER I have situation awareness as to other possible traffic. On the occasion when I overflew 28R in Oakland the left runway was closed for 6 months for repair.
5. The tower was in error when calling low altitude alert on my approach, refer to the chart and you will see this is fact. PLUS I already broke out and was cleared for sidestep to runway 33.
6. The steep stepdowns in the VOR approach is not unusual as is is a "non precision" approach and the goal is to get to the MDA and wait for the next stepdown in order to " break out".
7. My intent is never to "buzz houses", in the Mendocino Video I purposely made the climb over the forest clear of houses.
8. As far as flying low and fast close to the ground when in steep turns, it pays to know your aircraft and it's abilty to maneuver at all speeds. Someday when you least expect it you will need it.
9. I am never "behind the airplane" it just might appear that way to some un-informed persons.
10. One can get complacent always landng on long runways, I like to keep "sharp" and take the short runway when possible.
11. When I fly with passengers it's like "Driving Miss Daisy" for the comfort of my passengers.
12. My plane if very stable and "not out of rig" any turbelence is magnified by the camera.
14. There is no "13" because it's bad luck to be superstitious
15. I am not "documenting" any poor approaches, in the "real world" going 200 Knots can cause you to get off centerline sometimes, it's not good to practice approaches in a slow single at 90 Knots in controlled conditions.
16. I am not acting like a flight instructor, I am trying to share some of my flying experience with others who appreciate it and hope they can learn from it, as pilots we never stop learning.
17. Nothing posted is "evidence" against me as I might fly close to the edge BUT I make it a point to not violate any regulations, you can see this if you watch most of my videos.
18, I have 2200 hours in that plane and been flying for 30 years, so yes I am close to being an "expert pilot" in that aircraft.

For the many of you who watch my videos and enjoy them I hope they are informative and make you better pilots.

Last edited:
15. I am not "documenting" any poor approaches, in the "real world" going 200 Knots can cause you to get off centerline sometimes, it's not good to practice approaches in a slow single at 90 Knots in controlled conditions.
How fast do you think the Saberliner at Brown Field was going when it didn't see the Cessna 172?

17. Nothing posted is "evidence" against me as I might fly close to the edge BUT I make it a point to not violate any regulations, you can see this if you watch most of my videos.
Turning out at 50' down the runway at an uncontrolled field could be percieved as careless and reckless. Better to stay over the runway in case you need to suddenly land on it, don't you think?

dtuuri

I am the Pilot that has posted these videos, Wow, what a critical bunch on this thread that needs some clairifications.

1. Flying low over calm water in a twin engine airplane is not "unsafe" there are no power poles or power lines, towers or other obstructions. FAA regulations allow you to fly over desolate areas and over open bodies of water as low as you want as long as you keep 500 feet from any person, object or structure.
2. I keep the "500 foot string" from these items when I fly, the GoPro camera is on the narrow view setting that makes objects seem closer.
3. The tight turn to runway 33 is common here in Oakland as many times the tower will instruct you to keep north of runway 28R.
4. Yes, I have overshot some runway centerlines, it happens on occasion when your entering the pattern at a high speed, HOWEVER I have situation awareness as to other possible traffic. On the occasion when I overflew 28R in Oakland the left runway was closed for 6 months for repair.
5. The tower was in error when calling low altitude alert on my approach, refer to the chart and you will see this is fact. PLUS I already broke out and was cleared for sidestep to runway 33.
6. The steep stepdowns in the VOR approach is not unusual as is is a "non precision" approach and the goal is to get to the MDA and wait for the next stepdown in order to " break out".
7. My intent is never to "buzz houses", in the Mendocino Video I purposely made the climb over the forest clear of houses.
8. As far as flying low and fast close to the ground when in steep turns, it pays to know your aircraft and it's abilty to maneuver at all speeds. Someday when you least expect it you will need it.
9. I am never "behind the airplane" it just might appear that way to some un-informed persons.
10. One can get complacent always landng on long runways, I like to keep "sharp" and take the short runway when possible.
11. When I fly with passengers it's like "Driving Miss Daisy" for the comfort of my passengers.
12. My plane if very stable and "not out of rig" any turbelence is magnified by the camera.
14. There is no "13" because it's bad luck to be superstitious
16. I am not acting like a flight instructor, I am trying to share some of my flying experience with others who appreciate it and hope they can learn from it, as pilots we never stop learning.
18, I have 2200 hours in that plane and been flying for 30 years, so yes I am close to being an "expert pilot" in that aircraft.

For the many of you who watch my videos and enjoy them I hope they are informative and make you better pilots.
Take this FWIW and please reflect on it. This post combined with your videos screams overconfidence. That is not a good thing.

You may not have actually been too low, but steep/excessive descent rate on an approach will trigger the low altitude alert.

Back