Would you fly this low over water?

I dunno what I would do - or what he did.
As soon as the crappy music started I hit stop.
Besides I had already decided his level of ME flying skills when he ran those tiny tires up to 100 knots on the ground with a full load. Didn't need to see more.

I dunno what I would do - or what he did.
As soon as the crappy music started I hit stop.
Besides I had already decided his level of ME flying skills when he ran those tiny tires up to 100 knots on the ground with a full load. Didn't need to see more.

The crappy music is the only free music on Youtube, it saves you from having to watch an AD, for someone who hits stop a lot you seem to keep watching

My ($375 each) BF Goodrich top of the line "Tiny tires" are anything but tiny and rated for over 140MPH

How fast do you think the Saberliner at Brown Field was going when it didn't see the Cessna 172?

Turning out at 50' down the runway at an uncontrolled field could be percieved as careless and reckless. Better to stay over the runway in case you need to suddenly land on it, don't you think?

dtuuri

An early turn out is recommended for noise abatement, the runway is too short for a twin to abort and land, easier to turn out and return for landing, in a high powered twin you can still climb out with one engine

An early turn out is recommended for noise abatement, the runway is too short for a twin to abort and land, easier to turn out and return for landing, in a high powered twin you can still climb out with one engine

Noise abatement for AUN rwy 7 is a straight out departure.

I think some of the concerns we're mentioning are legitimate. The low flying, tight turns, over shooting runways, etc. These are of course our opinions and you've stated you disagree. This is a forum for us where we can all have this type of discussion openly and hopefully it benefits someone.

That being said, I think the quality of the videos are very good and I think at some point people are just trying to bash you. Not a legitimate concern!

Noise abatement for AUN rwy 7 is a straight out departure.

My reply was to KLLR, I like to turn out early at KAUN to avoid anyone that is on final for RWY25 as that is the normal runway in use and can switch during the day

Yikes...I'd pass on a flight with this guy.

You weren't 500' over the houses and golfers at KLLR.. And that's not a 45 entry.. Had I been on a crosswind entry for 29 you would've came up out of nowhere and beneath me and it would've been ugly. "But what the heck!"

Thanks for the videos 18Q. At least I have your number now so I can keep an ear out for you and make sure I stay out of your way. Just tell me where you're going and I'll give you five miles of clearance to accommodate those occasional overshoots but if I happen to be in the pattern when you call your three and a half mile 45 I might declare an emergency. :rolleyes:

I am the Pilot that has posted these videos, Wow, what a critical bunch on this thread that needs some clairifications.

For the many of you who watch my videos and enjoy them I hope they are informative and make you better pilots.

They're pretty useful in a "what not to do" kind of a way! I don't have any problem with flying low, or fast, or making tight turns to final, if the pilot is competent. Every video linked on this thread just shows sloppy, amateurish flying though. Poor skills combined with arrogance doesn't inspire confidence.

My reply was to KLLR, I like to turn out early at KAUN to avoid anyone that is on final for RWY25 as that is the normal runway in use and can switch during the day

Noise abatement at LLR? The county publishes no noise abatement plan, and the local pilots association recommends a 20 deg left turn after takeoff. Nothing about an early crosswind, and it appears to be counterproductive, placing you closer to Albion at a lower altitude than you would be otherwise.

@3:58 you really think he's over 500'?

His altimeter reads 1500 feet, and he's crossing ridges west of Folsom Lake, surveyed above 1200 feet.

He crosses Folsom Dam with the altimeter reading 750 feet. The top is surveyed at 450 feet.

His altimeter reads 500 feet over the Lake, and he's close enough to wave at people. The surface of the lake is around 350 MSL.

That is, assuming his instruments are set correctly.

Also, I think many of these areas would need 1,000 feet above, not 500 feet.

Also, I think many of these areas would need 1,000 feet above, not 500 feet.

That's a hard one, 'cause the FAA never defines "congested area."

But I think a decent rule of thumb is that if you're going to **** off residents by low flying, it's probably a good idea to assume it's "congested."

Same deal with flying over crowded water, like San Francisco Bay.

Even with the looser tolerance, the pilot in question still verifiably busted it.

His altimeter reads 1500 feet, and he's crossing ridges west of Folsom Lake, surveyed above 1200 feet.

He crosses Folsom Dam with the altimeter reading 750 feet. The top is surveyed at 450 feet.

His altimeter reads 500 feet over the Lake, and he's close enough to wave at people. The surface of the lake is around 350 MSL.

That is, assuming his instruments are set correctly.
They are, verified by his check-in with ATC asking him his altitude and his reply of 1300, altimeter showing the same.
Additionally, he blew right over a condo complex at 900msl, the condos are just under 400msl. What happened to the 1000ft congested-area rule? And this isn't me in my little single at 100mph, this is a noisier twin...GA makin' friends.:mad:

...GA makin' friends.:mad:

Right. Personally I don't mind a 320 blasting a hundred feet over my house at 200 knots but I don't expect the entire neighborhood to feel the same. I really don't want to pile on this guy but honestly his "high powered twin" attitude does seem to have a bit of a "step aside I'm coming through" element to it. It would be interesting to see how he shares the pattern with a 150.

Right. Personally I don't mind a 320 blasting a hundred feet over my house at 200 knots but I don't expect the entire neighborhood to feel the same. I really don't want to pile on this guy but honestly his "high powered twin" attitude does seem to have a bit of a "step aside I'm coming through" element to it. It would be interesting to see how he shares the pattern with a 150.

I mind. I fly my quadcopter 100 ft above my house. He takes it out with a stunt like that and I can't spy on my neighbors.

This is actually a problematic issue since in the 310 my downwind speed is faster than a 150 flat out, which is why I choose to use a straight in and avoid the situation for the most part even if it means looping around outside the ATA if there are a bunch. If there's only one or two and I'm coming in from a downwind position normally I can talk them into letting me pass and get in in front of them. It's always safer to have faster traffic in front of you than behind you.

He might have figured out that he was publishing evidence of his own violations.

Busted. LOL! The internet never forgets. Those videos are on other hard drives somewhere.

Having just caught up with this entire thread, some of those videos weren't too insane, but others weren't well advised at all.

We are in the "stabilized approach" era still, and probably permanently with FAA and CTLs with steep banks and whatnot, aren't going to make you any friends in the checkride world, or regulatory world.

That said, I've also talked to some folks who've had to keep the power in and make a real world tight turn to get themselves out of a not-so-great situation in a CTL scenario.

A LITTLE practice of such, isn't the end of the world.

Filming it, probably stupid.

Doing it every time you fire up a camera and post to YouTube, definitely stupid.

Even if you don't, it makes it look like every flight is flown that way. A "pattern of recklessness" the FAA would say before the Administrative Law Judge...

I do have a great story of a real world CTL in an airliner that was way low on gas after having to go missed at both the primary and the alternate and scrambling to beat an unforecast line of snow to the only airport with a company-approved approach.

I can't share the full details. Not my story.

But let's just say the crew worked together to make a VERY steep bank with a deadly serious pre-brief that went something like "If we break out in this crap, it'll be out my window. I'll maintain visual with the runway and we're going to crank it left real hard and land this damned thing, because we aren't going to get another shot at this. We don't have the fuel. I want you calling out altitudes continuously and ready with gear and flaps the instant I call for them, and I've got the power but if you see me getting slow just push on my hands if you have to."

Not an everyday occurrence, and not necessary the vast majority of the time, but the two guys I know who had to do it, walked away and lived to tell the story, in private.

They shared with me how much fuel was put on (company decided to top off the airplane to find out, and yes they did talk to the Chief Pilot about it and let him know just how close it had been, because they weren't too impressed with the fuel loads being chosen in questionable weather) and it was low enough to make me very uncomfortable. Their version of it, one of them describes it as "ass puckering".

:)

Snow storm plus squall line plus "Holy crap, find an airport that's out ahead of this and lets get there right now!", and not quite beating the storm there after multiple misses... They'll readily admit wasn't their finest hour. But they both remember that approach.

I picked on one of them after he story was related to me... "Did you REALLY have the runway through the whole turn?"

He joked... "Well, I don't think anyone ever intended to do turns about a point with an approach light, but..."

Last edited:
This is the one that had me scratching my head... 6:10 in. Shortly after he hits 5,000 feet he puts a chart over his altimeter and drops to 4,500 without realizing it while IFR

https://youtu.be/7zYgD8YenjY

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

NOT HARDLY, have a nice day

The thing is, if and when you have an incident depending on the severity, let's say you stuff it into a house in Folsom.. For the next year or so the NTSB and FAA will probably be scrutinizing your every move prior to that. Once they stumbled on the videos whether on your Facebook, YouTube, hard drives or someone on this board offers them up because they downloaded them you will be had. No I know what you're thinking,your dead.. No big deal what the heck? But then your estate may be at stake? They may look at all this and lay the blame on the countless flaunting of the regs and fighter pilot moves and then once again you will have your 15 minutes of fame.. But hey, the chicks dig it!!! ✌️

Back