AA Captain Dies In Flight

Nothing you can do will prevent this from happening however measures such as the first class medical are intended to reduce the probability to a very small percentage. That is why we have standards, rules, etc., to increase the safety threshold. You can never make anything 100% safe but we should still strive to make it as safe as possible. Sorry, if you can't understand that.

Omg... Eat much coleslaw eh?

TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does any one have cause of death?

I heard it was an A320. I believe they have tillers on both sides.

Don't want to speak for all Airbii (I don't fly one), but the airplane in question had a tiller on the right side. All of the US Airways airplanes have them installed on both sides.

From the article...

"desperate attempts by an air stewardess to revive him."

As opposed to a " Ground Stewardess":dunno::dunno::confused::confused:

The Brits apparently aren't worried about PC, gender-neutral titles.

RIP

Last edited:
I'm just glad they had a copilot on board that knew how to land the airplane. Otherwise, it might have been disastrous!

How is that? A basic autopilot programmed to land at the nearest suitable airport could have presumably done it just as safely as the FO.
There were no "special circumstances" here, like a terrorist attack or uncontained turbine failure that would have necessitated any extra thinking or ingenuity.

Because all basic autopilots have cat3b function right. Also how many airports have 3b approaches?

The tiller is only located on the left. FO would have had to switch seats at some point to taxi it. No idea if he switched in flight or once on the ground.

It may have been posted and I missed it... Wouldn't be the first time.
The Airbus has tillers on both sides. I'm not sure, maybe it was a Boeing?

I'm just glad they had a copilot on board that knew how to land the airplane. Otherwise, it might have been disastrous!

Lol!!! What airline would employ a F/O that couldn't land the airplane???? The F/O flys every other leg generally speaking.... Quite often, much better than the Capt.

Nothing you can do will prevent this from happening however measures such as the first class medical are intended to reduce the probability to a very small percentage. That is why we have standards, rules, etc., to increase the safety threshold.

The question that's got me stumped is, how did the guy still have a first class after a double bypass? Media is now quoting family sources in reporting it was a heart attack. Yet the FAA doesn't want sport pilots flying with stents.

Does any one have cause of death?

According to his wife, he had a history of heart disease including a bypass in 2006. Michael Johnston, resided in Utah, based out of Phoenix. 57 years old.

Lol!!! What airline would employ a F/O that couldn't land the airplane???? The F/O flys every other leg generally speaking.... Quite often, much better than the Capt.
Sure he does... I have it on good authority that all the co-pilots do is talk on the radio and keep all the paperwork straight!

It may have been posted and I missed it... Wouldn't be the first time.
The Airbus has tillers on both sides. I'm not sure, maybe it was a Boeing?
You're correct. I didn't realize the Bus had tillers on both sides.

According to his wife, he had a history of heart disease including a bypass in 2006. Michael Johnston, resided in Utah, based out of Phoenix. 57 years old.

yup.....:rolleyes:

She said he had double heart bypass surgery in 2006 and was in good health.

She told CBS affiliate KUTV: "He has had problems with his heart. He seemed perfectly fine.

Happens. A friend's husband dropped dead at 51 from a heart attack. Hadn't been married a year, nice guy too. It happens. carpe diem, gentlemen, you could be next. Part of why I bought the Mooney.

Sure he does... I have it on good authority that all the co-pilots do is talk on the radio and keep all the paperwork straight!

I heard it USED to be that way.

I get the general public thinks co-pilots do nothing but talk on radios and sling the gear. Guess I just thought a pilot forum would be more enlightened.

I'm going to assume you're joking... :)

Happens. A friend's husband dropped dead at 51 from a heart attack. Hadn't been married a year, nice guy too. It happens. carpe diem, gentlemen, you could be next. Part of why I bought the Mooney.

So you can get to the hospital faster?

More power to the folks who like working past 55, but 1st class medical with a bypass? What a joke.

Sheesh - the FO only works the radio? Paperwork? You damned Captains are doing it all wrong. The FO should be doing everything. Delegation, fellas.

Here's my brief: "It's your aircraft. Wake me up when you need the tiller, or if the logbook needs signed. Any questions? Oh, and stay away from Stacey in the back. She's supposedly patient zero for the gonorrhea going around the base."

:D

Latest news a FO on United passes out, maybe we need to up the 1st class medical requirements

More power to the folks who like working past 55, but 1st class medical with a bypass? What a joke.

Think carefully this time. He was flying with the approval of the FAA. The FAA knew more about his heart than most people that only have a 3rd class medical. And guess what? He passed every medical examination that the FAA can throw at him. How much do you know about the health of your heart?

Think carefully this time. He was flying with the approval of the FAA. The FAA knew more about his heart than most people that only have a 3rd class medical. And guess what? He passed every medical examination that the FAA can throw at him. How much do you know about the health of your heart?

IIRC...

Airlines have " their own AME's" conducting 1 class medicals.....:rolleyes:

This is very true. Years back , a 24 year old co pilot at my base was walking ( not running ) to the aircraft prior to takeoff and dropped dead. Many reputable hospitals have departments that study sudden heart death, including Johns Hopkins here in baltimore , Cleveland clinic, etc. I think the FAA, overall , does a very good job with what they have to contend with.

Sheesh - the FO only works the radio? Paperwork? You damned Captains are doing it all wrong. The FO should be doing everything. Delegation, fellas.

Here's my brief: "It's your aircraft. Wake me up when you need the tiller, or if the logbook needs signed. Any questions? Oh, and stay away from Stacey in the back. She's supposedly patient zero for the gonorrhea going around the base."

:D
My dad says he didn't do anything as an FO and he still doesn't do anything as a CA! What a life.

In the old Soviet Air Force pilots had to take a physical before every flight. Maybe airlines should do that here.

Back