AA Captain Dies In Flight

Wait a second! You mean a first class medical didn't prevent this from happening???!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way too soon.

Not every tragedy has to be twisted to fit one's agenda.

Regretfully, though, I saw it coming when I clicked on the thread.

And I'm guessing the drooling masses spur congress critters to use this to screw the industry over even more

Clearly we need biweekly EKGs with stress test for an ATP.

Sad news... really.
But it's in the news BECAUSE he was a pilot.
ALPA would jump all over the story if it was a sport Pilot, without a medical, passing while flying.
3 days from now, it will have far less meaning.
At this point, I'm guessing the family is wondering about the value of the medical, too.

...ALPA would jump all over the story if it was a sport Pilot, without a medical, passing while flying...

I heard that ALPA withdrew their objections to third class medical reform.

Not long ago I read about the possibility of airliners designed to have a single pilot. This case demonstrates how far we are from that development.

Sad, of course, for the pilot's family, but I am happy for the passengers that they were not in danger

Not long ago I read about the possibility of airliners designed to have a single pilot. This case demonstrates how far we are from that development.

Sad, of course, for the pilot's family, but I am happy for the passengers that they were not in danger

How is that? A basic autopilot programmed to land at the nearest suitable airport could have presumably done it just as safely as the FO.
There were no "special circumstances" here, like a terrorist attack or uncontained turbine failure that would have necessitated any extra thinking or ingenuity.

The only certain fact of life is we all die. No one can prevent anyone from dying at any point. An Airman medical examination is highly superficial, and can fail to detect a plethora of conditions that can easily be life-threatening.

The funny thing is this isn't the first time this has happened. I recall a Skylane pilot being thrust into the right seat of an airliner after an identical tragedy.

Sad event ,may he rest in peace just goes to show ,you can have an EKG and still die that day. No medical exam can guarantee your survival.

I read the FO called a medical emergency, I wonder if this event was an in flight emergency? (Trucks rolled)

R.I.P.

I read the FO called a medical emergency, I wonder if this event was an in flight emergency? (Trucks rolled)

R.I.P.

I would bet they did. I would have if I was the copilot. Its called CYA.

So Sad for the pilot and the family..:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:..

Personally.... I am amazed it doesn't happen more often...

You think that maybe they are bored to death?

I would bet they did. I would have if I was the copilot. Its called CYA.

Our manual requires an in-flight emergency to be declared any time the airplane diverts for serious passenger illness. Seems to me that a logical extension can be made to crewmembers as well. :)

I mentioned the event to my Dad, who was a captain for Braniff "back in the day". His response, "nothing new, it's happened before".

Was it a dead stick landing?

I know....too soon.

Even if the FO didn't declare, I'm sure the controller handled it as an emergency. Death or illness is in the emergency section of the .65 and requires a report to the DEN. Flying an aircraft that requires two crew members and one is dead, yeah I'd call it an emergency.

RIP to the Capt.

I suspect Palmpilot's tongue was firmly buried in his cheek.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...r-before?_ga=1.210452118.207739898.1424218278

The modifications to Pilot's Bill of Rights 2 outlined by Inhofe in his floor speech closely match the terms of the so-called Manchin Amendment, which was submitted, but did not become part of, the Senate highway bill passed in July. That amendment came under fire from the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), which said it would not support the measure, although numerous other pilot groups and unions have endorsed it. Since that time AOPA has met with ALPA to seek common ground.

“We’ve worked with the leaders of ALPA and addressed their concerns,” said Coon. “We’ve been told that they now believe that third class medical reform does not pose a safety risk.”

[emphasis added]​

Even if the FO didn't declare, I'm sure the controller handled it as an emergency. Death or illness is in the emergency section of the .65 and requires a report to the DEN. Flying an aircraft that requires two crew members and one is dead, yeah I'd call it an emergency.

RIP to the Capt.
FO did declare the medical emergency.

The ATC recording is over at liveatc.net

Outstanding job by the FO and controller bringing it in under what I am sure was a difficult situation.

Sad news... really.
But it's in the news BECAUSE he was a pilot.
ALPA would jump all over the story if it was a sport Pilot, without a medical, passing while flying.
3 days from now, it will have far less meaning.
At this point, I'm guessing the family is wondering about the value of the medical, too.

At this point, I'm guessing the family is simply wondering how they will live their lives without him.

RIP :(

WTF was the source for "the panicked FO DEMANDED a landing"??

Somehow I doubt that was reported officially this early. Sounds like sensationalism to me...

FO did declare the medical emergency.

The ATC recording is over at liveatc.net

Outstanding job by the FO and controller bringing it in under what I am sure was a difficult situation.

Mind posting the link?

Do they routinely train for single pilot emergency ops in two-pilot aircraft? Are there any controls that can't be reached from one seat or the other? I think I've read that the nosewheel tiller is one example.

WTF was the source for "the panicked FO DEMANDED a landing"??

Somehow I doubt that was reported officially this early. Sounds like sensationalism to me...

No clue. The FO sounded very professional and far from panicked in the recording. His biggest concerns were delaying his turn to final in order to have more time to get down due to the divert and then whether they wanted him to go to a gate or have the ambulance meet them on the ramp.

Are there any controls that can't be reached from one seat or the other? I think I've read that the nosewheel tiller is one example.
The tiller is only located on the left. FO would have had to switch seats at some point to taxi it. No idea if he switched in flight or once on the ground.

Wait a second! You mean a first class medical didn't prevent this from happening???!!!

Nothing you can do will prevent this from happening however measures such as the first class medical are intended to reduce the probability to a very small percentage. That is why we have standards, rules, etc., to increase the safety threshold. You can never make anything 100% safe but we should still strive to make it as safe as possible. Sorry, if you can't understand that.

Back