A quick camera pan for social media

W

WonderPilot

I did a flight recently. After leveling off in cruise, in class E airspace, VFR, I pulled my phone out, did a quick 10 second pan around the cockpit to share with my friends on Instagram/Facebook for fun. A friend commented on my post asking if that was legal. Technically the phone isn't, under FCC rules, though from what I saw during training, it's easily the most flaunted rule out there. I never put my phone on airplane mode (and my instructors were on their phones a good bit), but that's unknowable from the clip. My rental place doesn't have specific rules on electronic devices, and the FAA appears to allow them for General Aviation if VFR and they don't interfere. Realistically, is this an issue to worry about if someone sees it?

I did a flight recently. After leveling off in cruise, in class E airspace, VFR, I pulled my phone out, did a quick 10 second pan around the cockpit to share with my friends on Instagram/Facebook for fun. A friend commented on my post asking if that was legal. Technically the phone isn't, under FCC rules, though from what I saw during training, it's easily the most flaunted rule out there. I never put my phone on airplane mode (and my instructors were on their phones a good bit), but that's unknowable from the clip. My rental place doesn't have specific rules on electronic devices, and the FAA appears to allow them for General Aviation if VFR and they don't interfere. Realistically, is this an issue to worry about if someone sees it?

By now the federal lurkers on POA have already issued subpoenas to the site admins and have identified you. You’ll receive a certified letter in a few days.

The way I understand it, in airplane mode the phone is legal and at the point it is just another camera.

But s Half Fast noted... the knock on the door is the friendly kids from the government, and they are there to help you :)

Ditto. I guess it’s a good thing the Statute of Limitations has run!

1716946770742.png

Can you imagine how much trouble those of us in the Professional Aerial Photographers Association International are in???

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the whole world isn't out to get you ...

1716955571585.png

Is that Copper?
I pulled it at random from my photo collection. Sorry to say, I don’t remember which ski area but probably not Copper. The I70 route was not one I usually flew. Based on my usual routes, most likely Winter Park, Aspen/Snowmass, or Vail.

I pulled it at random from my photo collection. Sorry to say, I don’t remember which ski area but probably not Copper. The I70 route was not one I usually flew. Based on my usual routes, most likely Winter Park, Aspen/Snowmass, or Vail.
Not taken with a cellphone? Not geo-tagged?

Not taken with a cellphone? Not geo-tagged?
Taken with a cellphone (I think) but geotagging 2007 or earlier is not what it is today. Even the photo date doesn’t jibe with my logbook. I have one more idea to check a bit later. If I find something I’ll report back.

Taken with a cellphone (I think) but geotagging 2007 or earlier is not what it is today. Even the photo date doesn’t jibe with my logbook. I have one more idea to check a bit later. If I find something I’ll report back.
No go. I found the original on my hard drive. Turns out it wasn't take with a cell phone. My best guesses are the same.

Oh man, what video was that again? I remember watching it and all of a sudden becoming paranoid to post anything online over some frivolous complaint.
If I recall correctly the FAA’s role consisted of telling him that someone made a BS complaint that they don’t care about. The good part was that the twerp who made an issue of the radio call got doxxed, his GoFundMe scheme to get others to pay for his flying lessons came to a grinding halt and his name is Mudd for at least a while longer until he grows up.

Back