Also, the FSDO would not be the place to get a interpretation of the regulation either unless the FSDO runs it through Region Legal.
I would read the suggestion as the FSDO already knows what the requirement is, and could counsel the DPE.

Just out of curiosity, were these blue and orange squiggly track lines the intended route of your commercial cross country?
I would have expected more direct routes.

EDIT: Then again, I guess you did have an electrical failure...
1708041503116.png

Just out of curiosity, were these blue and orange squiggly track lines the intended route of your commercial cross country?
I would have expected more direct routes.

EDIT: Then again, I guess you did have an electrical failure...
View attachment 125453
The blue means, till that point I replayed my breadcrumbs and I stop replaying at a point automatically becomes orange segment

This flight was never on any waypoint Route or ATC flight following, just VFR go with the flow

Plan Route KLAL-KHWO, but didn't make it

Help.. Help.. Help..!

FAR 61.129
Cessna 150/ 18G on Fuel Tank, endurance approx 3-4 hrs. cutting corner "How can I do a Commercial Long CX-Country total distance of 300NM with 250NM straight? There is no way possible. CAN I DO FUEL STOP in the middle, is it LEGAL or VALID? Departing from KHWO.
Here what FAA DPE say's

Help.. Help.. Help..!

FAR 61.129
Cessna 150/ 18G on Fuel Tank, endurance approx 3-4 hrs. cutting corner "How can I do a Commercial Long CX-Country total distance of 300NM with 250NM straight? There is no way possible. CAN I DO FUEL STOP in the middle, is it LEGAL or VALID? Departing from KHWO.

Why would someone want a "Letter of Investigation" (LOI) for this? ;)

Also, the FSDO would not be the place to get a interpretation of the regulation either unless the FSDO runs it through Region Legal.
1) To deal with DPEs who are insisting that the XC requires a 250 nm non-stop leg.

2) The FSDO will forward the question to the FAA Legal Counsel who will issue a response as a LOI.

Why would someone want a "Letter of Investigation" (LOI) for this? ;)

I emailed FAA but haven't received a reply maybe they are typing..?

1) To deal with DPEs who are insisting that the XC requires a 250 nm non-stop leg.

2) The FSDO will forward the question to the FAA Legal Counsel who will issue a response as a LOI.

This is one of few cases where I think a Chief Counsel letter would help more than hurt (unless they go against common wisdom and surprise everyone with an unexpected interpretation).

You hope. ;)

(LOI in FAA world is "Letter of Investigation)

Last edited:
The DPE for my son's commercial, would not accept a flight from Denver, Co. To Orlando Fl. Made over 2 1/2 days. And 20.1 hours of flying time. His longest leg nonstop was only 235 miles. Although Denver to Orlando is way over a 1000.
The DPE might be correct depending how this flight was entered into the log book. Some flight schools have extensive written instructions how to log those crucial flights properly to avoid that kind of discussion.

The DPE might be correct depending how this flight was entered into the log book. Some flight schools have extensive written instructions how to log those crucial flights properly to avoid that kind of discussion.
How could it have been logged so that the DPE wouldn’t accept an otherwise compliant flight?

How could it have been logged so that the DPE wouldn’t accept an otherwise compliant flight?
Technically it’s not compliant if the longest leg didn’t meet or exceed 250nm. One could fly from NYC to LA and it wouldn’t count if the legs aren’t far enough apart.

Technically it’s not compliant if the longest leg didn’t meet or exceed 250nm. One could fly from NYC to LA and it wouldn’t count if the legs aren’t far enough apart.
Technically a 250-mile leg isn’t required. So unless @aggiepack is suggesting that flight schools are encouraging their students to falsify logbooks, it must be something else.

If it had to be a 250-mile leg, the word “original” wouldn’t be in the reg.
Guess we’ll agree to disagree. The reg is pretty clear on this. In the situation above, regardless of where the leg occurred, it had to be 250nm minimum from the original departure point. That flight from Denver to Orlando is invalid if those criteria are/were not met and with 235nm being the longest leg, it doesn’t count.

Guess we’ll agree to disagree. The reg is pretty clear on this. In the situation above, regardless of where the leg occurred, it had to be 250nm minimum from the original departure point. That flight from Denver to Orlando is invalid if those criteria are/were not met and with 235nm being the longest leg, it doesn’t count.
Orlando is more than 250 nm from Denver last I checked.

You are miss reading it.

One cross country flight of not less than 300 miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points,

one of which is a straight line distance of 250 nm from the original departure point.

The reg states a minimum of three points, not a maximum. So the cross country could have any number of points.

The second part only says that one of those points must be at least 250 nm from the original departure point.

You are miss reading it.

One cross country flight of not less than 300 miles total distance, with landings at a minimum of three points,

one of which is a straight line distance of 250 nm from the original departure point.

The reg states a minimum of three points, not a maximum. So the cross country could have any number of points.

The second part only says that one of those points must be at least 250 nm from the original departure point.
Fair enough, not sure how I misread that. I stand corrected.

With all being said and messing with the head on wall, is this legal??

KHWO-KBOW-KLCQ-KLAL-X14
TT 8.2

With all being said and messing with the head on wall, is this legal??

KHWO-KBOW-KLCQ-KLAL-X14
TT 8.2
Yeah it counts, but I’m also wondering how you got over eight hours on that.

Off topic a bit, but when I did my ATP you needed to schedule a logbook review with the Feds… then needed a Fed sign off plus a class 1 medical just to take the written.

Times have changed…

Off topic a bit, but when I did my ATP you needed to schedule a logbook review with the Feds… then needed a Fed sign off plus a class 1 medical just to take the written.

Times have changed…
Yup…I wish the Feds were still doing the logbook audits.

This flight was never on any waypoint Route or ATC flight following, just VFR go with the flow

Plan Route KLAL-KHWO, but didn't make it
Why? Your aspiration is to be a commercial pilot, yes? Start now and fly like one. Plan your routes and fly the course while maintaining altitude to ACS standards. My ground tracks only look like that when I’m out flying locally goofing off. Even back in the day when I was working on my Private in a 152, paper sectional (no iPad), single VOR no GPS.

Why? Your aspiration is to be a commercial pilot, yes? Start now and fly like one. Plan your routes and fly the course while maintaining altitude to ACS standards. My ground tracks only look like when I’m flying locally out goofing off. Even back in the day when I was working on my Private in a 152, paper sectional (no iPad), single VOR no GPS.
I got you sir, appreciate for your right way of doing tip.

Back