Latest iPad Pro Vs Air? - 2022 Models

FL Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FL Pilot
Having been a PC and Android user for many years, I'm fairly Apple illiterate. The only Apple device I use is the EFK/iPad my employer provides. I have no idea which model it is, but I won't use it for personal use.

I'm getting back into GA flying and I'd like to use Foreflight, so I'll have to buy an iPad. I'm not interested in struggling to look at the mini at my age.

I'm looking at the 10.9 Air vs. 11" Pro. For daylight cockpit use, is there any appreciable difference in the display brightness between the two? Will both handle a hot cockpit environment equally well? I've read comments about units shutting down when they overheat.

I'll probably get the cellular enabled version just for the sake of redundant GPS.

Are the 256GB versions adequate for everyday use? The 256GB cellular enabled 10.9 Air is presently $900 while the 256GB cellular enabled 11" Pro is $1100. If choosing greater than 256GB of storage, the Air is no longer an option as they max-out at 256GB.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a big iPad Pro.. maybe the 11”? I have to check at home to be sure. It’s 3-4 years old. I use ForeFlight on it as my primary EFB. I cannot comment on the Air.

I think the one I have is too big. I intentionally bought a big one so that I may have plenty of screen real estate but in hindsight I could go a few inches smaller.

As far as overheating, the only time it’s done that was in S Florida on a hot day around noon and I had the GoFlight Pro leather case on it. I now use what SteveO uses (Pivot Case) and it’s never gotten close to overheating since.

I have the 256GB version (I think?) which is plenty but I wouldn’t go smaller. I can have the entire US downloaded 2-3 times over. I also have WiFi only as in my head - I’m always connected to a Stratus when flying. I have not found this limiting at all.

One thing to be sure, get something compatible with the Pencil v2 or newer. I heard the v1 pencil is not great. The v2 pencil is a useful tool in the cockpit, writing ATIS, holds, marking where heavies cross your flight path for wake turb avoidance, etc!

I looked at the Pro and the Air and determined that the iPad Mini is really the best for GA flying. The others are just too big for use in small cockpits imho.

I have a big iPad Pro.. maybe the 11”? I have to check at home to be sure. It’s 3-4 years old. I use ForeFlight on it as my primary EFB. I cannot comment on the Air.

I think the one I have is too big. I intentionally bought a big one so that I may have plenty of screen real estate but in hindsight I could go a few inches smaller.
You might have the 12.9" Pro.

One thing to be sure, get something compatible with the Pencil v2 or newer. I heard the v1 pencil is not great. The v2 pencil is a useful tool in the cockpit, writing ATIS, holds, marking where heavies cross your flight path for wake turb avoidance, etc!
The latest Air spec's indicate it uses the 2nd gen Apple Pencil.

Thanks for the feedback.

I use an older Ipad Air cellular with 128GB. I have plenty of memory/space on it. But being 4 or 5 years old does occasionally show signs of slowing down with some apps, but haven't seen any issues with my Aviation Apps. I primarily Run WingX. I am to cheap to buy Foreflight, and don't have a real need for it as I am not flying as my primary occupation.

The Agree the Mini is to small for my older eyes, plus I use the Ipad for a lot other applications like storing documentation and books. I don't think I would wan't much bigger than the Ipad Air 10.9" I think mine is. I usually just have it laying on my lap, like I used to use a Map. If I flew the same plane all the time I might consider mounting it somewhere, It is to big to mount on the Yoke very well IMO.

The only time I consistently had Overheating issues was when flying a Mooney in Southern California. If I left it direct sunlight more than a few minutes it would tend to overheat. The owner got a cooling mount for his which seems to work well, but wasn't inexpensive.

When I upgrade in the next year or two I will consider an 11" pro just for the more processing and I want to try the pencil option with it. but a current ipad Air would probably be adequate for me to.

In my glider I don't have enough room for the Ipad Air, plus the soaring software I use works much better on Android so I use an Android Samsung A7 Tablet in the glider.

Brian

You might have the 12.9" Pro.
Nope - found the email. It’s an 11.
57E4A0C2-BA1D-446D-B254-51E981813555.jpeg

Thinking more about size, it’s fine in a DA40/42, P32R… but any smaller aircraft it’s just a tad in the way. Not so much that I don’t use it, but just in the back of my head.

I'm not interested in struggling to look at the mini at my age.
That's a valid concern. But please consider also how a larger device affects visibility (outside or parts of the panel, depending on mounting location) and your ability to reach things in the cockpit with a bulky device potentially in the way. The size of the larger iPads doesn't come without a penalty.

I use the iPad mini myself. I can read it fairly well, and of course I know that will likely change as I grow older. When that happens, I'll adjust font sizes and zoom into the charts before I get a larger iPad. There are ways to make the information easier to read without a larger screen.

Or, look at it this way: The iPad mini's screen is larger than the paper charts we all used to use - and those worked fine for pilots of all ages.

- Martin

I went with the mini for the size.

I had a larger iPad in the beginning but it was always in the way and if I wanted to get it out of my way, the only option was the seatback pouch. The map pouch near my leg was too small. The mini fits in a mount on the windscreen without blocking my view (C172) and if I'm simply resting it on my leg I can stuff it in the map pouch with ease. No issues with overheating in the plane but it has in the car.

As far as other features, I have an older 128 GB mini and download books and movies for traveling without issue. I'm using about 1/3 of that with a couple movies, a few hundred photos, FF maps and plates for the entire west coast and Florida. I would also suggest the cellular for the GPS and planning capabilities.

Over all suggestion is to go with the smallest that you feel comfortable with and get the cellular with the most storage you wish to pay for if you want to use it for more than FF. Never had an issue with the sun making it difficult to see the screen with FF. Movies and books yes but not FF.

I've had several occasions of iPad overheating: in an Otterbox case, exposed to the sun, on a passenger's lap, whilst in use in flight. I've since switched to no case at all. The built-in GPS works very well. Keep in mind that you can't upgrade memory later, so buy it now.
[Somebody should do a ruggedized version of the iPad, with built-in fans. Seems like it should be possible to re-package the 'guts'. Wonder if there'd be a market for that?]

Good feedback, folks. Thanks.

I have a Galaxy Tab S6 that I travel with and use for reading and general web browsing, etc. I doubt I'd want anything smaller.

I found a site called Phonearea that has some cool comparison tools. Here's a size comparison of the Galaxy Tab S6 vs. the newest iPad Mini vs. the newest iPad air (10.9"). The Mini is considerably smaller than the Tab S6 and the iPad Air is only marginally larger.

The planes I fly have sticks, so yoke mounts aren't a concern. I'll likely just toss it on the co-pilots seat, when flying alone.

I just need to decide if it's worth getting the Pro vs. the Air. I doubt it is, based on what I've been reading.

If you don't want a mini, I'd get the Air. We recently got issued the new one at work and it's been great. I feel the Pro would be overkill, so I'd rather have the lighter weight device.

That said, I think the others are right - the mini is a better size for a GA cockpit.

I'm very happy with an iPad Mini. It doesn't get in the way, I can mount it on the yoke and it doesn't block the panel, the battery lasts a long time and I can zoom in to read details if needed. My only regret is buying the wifi version instead of the cellular one for the GPS.

Vote for the Mini.

1) The key is to have a mount that gets it as close to your eyes as possible. In that regard, even something like an iPhone Pro Max can work remarkably well if mounted right.

2) Regarding putting any iPad unsecured on the passenger seat is not a great idea. Eventually a big enough “air pocket” may end up with it flying in a random direction, which at the least is distracting, and at worst can jam a control or hit the panel or canopy/windshield with undesirable results.

If you don't want a mini, I'd get the Air. We recently got issued the new one at work and it's been great. I feel the Pro would be overkill, so I'd rather have the lighter weight device.

That said, I think the others are right - the mini is a better size for a GA cockpit.
I just recently purchased an air after going round and round between Pro, Air and mini. While I originally wanted a mini, the planes I fly the air works well. Plus my ipad doubles as entertainment which ruled out the mini. The pro is overkill, but I am finding features I was accustomed to having missing from the air, like the flashlight feature. Not a deal breaker. Then the next decision will have to be Cellular vs Wifi Only version.

I flew for several years with the original iPad and the iPad 3 (9.7). I had no problem at all with the size (photo of it in a Mooney). Moved to the Mini for it's more compact size and no problems that can't be corrected by, as @eman1200 said, zoom. Both the regular and iOS accessibility version. When there was some question whether there would be another Mini, I wasn't especially worried. While I prefer the Mini, I'd have no problem going to a standard or the larger Air. Pro would be too large for me although I know others who are vary happy with it,

MooneyIpad.PNG

... I'd have no problem going to a standard or the larger Air. Pro would be too large for me although I know others who are vary happy with it,
The Pro is available in both 11" and 12.9" The 11" Pro is virtually the same size as the Air, which only comes in 10.9" (most recent generation).

I assume you mean the largest Pro would be too large for you?

IPad Mini is not that small - it is actually significantly bigger than Garmin Aera …

Attachments

• 7ED14E02-E328-4B9F-A5DD-EE171FBC8D95.jpeg
    7ED14E02-E328-4B9F-A5DD-EE171FBC8D95.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 40
IPad Mini is not that small - it is actually significantly bigger than Garmin Aera …
I don't have any experience using the Aera. I just looked up the model number of my company iPad. It's a previous generation (4th gen) 10.9" Air.

I'll head over to Best Buy and play with the Mini. Obviously, I'm aware the screen can be zoomed. But perspective is lost when doing so. Having no experience using Forefight, maybe it's not that big a deal. I really don't know.

For us old guys bigger is better,I have the 11 pro without the pencil. I have had no problems with the size in my Cessna 150 . My old eyes work well with the bigger screen.

I’ve been flying for a couple years on my old iPad Air (from like 2012). It finally crapped out on me last year and I got just the regular Ipad 10.2”, non cellular. I bought a stratux off Amazon from crew dog electronics. Gives you weather, traffic, your location and I believe the virtual backup attitude indicator (though I’ve never tried using that specific feature). This combo has worked out great and I save by not having to pay for a cellular plan for my ipad since the stratux gives me all the info I would’ve needed anyways

The Pro is available in both 11" and 12.9" The 11" Pro is virtually the same size as the Air, which only comes in 10.9" (most recent generation).

I assume you mean the largest Pro would be too large for you?
Yes.

These days, I'm no longer completely sure about the 10-11" either. I'm in a flying club with three DA40s. The Mini works well with a window suction mount but I haven't experimented with something larger.

Over time I've discovered I'm less interested in mounting an iPad. The only time a yoke mount is useful to me is when flying an instrument approach. I still think the mini form factor is preferable to the full sized iPads.

I have the iPad Pro 12.9" 3rd Gen w/512 GB w/cellular & gps but without cellular service plan. I currently have 437 GB available so I apparently purchased excessive memory. I did not know how much I would be using when I bought it. It is too big (for me) to stick it in a window without losing visibility outside so I have a leg strap and keep it strapped to my left leg. I try to minimize use while flying as I am not looking for excessive time with eyes down. It does overheat rapidly if left in the sun while on the ground so I am careful just not to do that. It will also at times overheat during the summer in the air (absent direct sunlight). I normally fly with it plugged in to keep the battery charge up but if it starts to overheat the first thing I do is unplug the charging cable. Not charging seems to have a big impact on heat generation. I can also direct an air vent towards it. I have FlightStream installed so it is convenient if I need to make route changes in the air to quickly make them on the iPad and then send them into my Garmin panel devices with a tap on the iPad. The FlightSteam also feeds all the ADSB data-in down to my iPad which is nice for situational awareness as the display is so much bigger than the Garmin devices. For flight planning on the ground, the large display is great. The big display is also nice for the approach plate. This is also nice for Netflix and Hulu in hotels. lol.

The mini does sound nice to be able to mount at eye level and I have considered getting one. Still thinking it through and might do that. This iPad Pro 12.9" is pretty big for inside the cockpit and it would be nice to not have it down on my leg.

I keep a kneeboard on my right leg with paper that I write notes on as I fly so I do not actively write on the iPad when flying.

EDIT: The only reason I purchased the iPad was ForeFlight. I never used Apple products prior to that. In general I find Apple software to be a PITA. I have extensive experience with MS Windows so I find it hard to change and adapt.

Last edited:
I have been using a 9.7 ipad for years. I built a custom mount using a spring loaded RAM mount on my control wheel. It does not cause me any problems and is easy to access in rough air, plus it is easier to read than the mini for my old eyes.

Have you noticed a significant decrease in battery performance on the new one?

I've used a mini on a Pivot mount suction cupped to the windshield between the glare shield and door of a 172/182. It is exceptional, even with old eyes, in this location. I now use an iphone pro max in this area with an ipad pro 11" mount on the right side of my panel on a mygoflight mount with a fan built into the case. I don't really need the ipad/iphone on the left side as much as I fly with a 10" Dynon HDX with traffic/weather/frequencies readily at hand. The ipad on the right side of the panel is connected to the HDX for traffic so my passengers can help spot traffic. Keeps them occupied and an extra set of eyes is always welcome

Without the big screen on the left I would say my best experience was the ipad mini on a suction cup mount at eye level. or nearly so, on the windshield between the glare shield and door. It's the best of all worlds and easily controllable with your right hand while flying with your left on the yolk.

Another vote for the mini, especially if you have a cramped cockpit. Not a fan of yoke mounts, but not an issue since I don't have yokes.

PXL_20201002_182821691 (9).jpg

Recently replaced my pro with an air. Will get a pro next time they are better all around. Battery screen speed its lexus vs toyota

Have you noticed a significant decrease in battery performance on the new one?

It's actually been better, but my old iPad (3rd gen Air?) was on its third year and the battery wasn't all that great anymore. Is your battery life crappy?

It's actually been better, but my old iPad (3rd gen Air?) was on its third year and the battery wasn't all that great anymore. Is your battery life crappy?
Yes. My old one was only a year old and the battery was significantly better than the new one. So far the two guys I’ve flown with that had the new iPad had similar experiences. Just curious…
I’m curious if the settings for background services are different.

Having been a PC and Android user for many years, I'm fairly Apple illiterate. The only Apple device I use is the EFK/iPad my employer provides. I have no idea which model it is, but I won't use it for personal use.

I'm getting back into GA flying and I'd like to use Foreflight, so I'll have to buy an iPad. I'm not interested in struggling to look at the mini at my age.

I'm looking at the 10.9 Air vs. 11" Pro. For daylight cockpit use, is there any appreciable difference in the display brightness between the two? Will both handle a hot cockpit environment equally well? I've read comments about units shutting down when they overheat.

I'll probably get the cellular enabled version just for the sake of redundant GPS.

Are the 256GB versions adequate for everyday use? The 256GB cellular enabled 10.9 Air is presently $900 while the 256GB cellular enabled 11" Pro is $1100. If choosing greater than 256GB of storage, the Air is no longer an option as they max-out at 256GB.

Thanks.
256G is fine for FF. I'm "Of an Age" (late 60s) and use a mini - it's OK, and I wear glasses. Mini is quite bright - and ALL of them will shut down at high temps. This is NOT rare.
There are "cooling mounts" you can buy.

I didn't bother with cellular since I have a Sentry as a GPS source and a panel mount. That's enough redundancy for me

I'll add my vote for "at least sit in the pilots seat, put a friends mini where you think you'll mount it when flying, and see for yourself before buying. I have a "full size" I Pad, but it is such an old model it is almost the same size as today's mini. As tight fitting as a cockpit is, and as close as your mounted I pad is going going to be to your head, I think you'll be surprised how easy a mini might be to use. AND for me, anything larger than what I have now would be too large.

Just another data point. We use IPad Air 4’s at work (cellular model). They have 256 GB of storage. Our apps are centrally managed, but they include Foreflight with about all the possible maps downloaded, as well as several other EFBs, document storage, proprietary apps, and lots of other work-related stuff. I currently have only used 77.3 gb of the 256. Now, of course, I’m not storing videos and the like on it. But 256 should be perfectly adequate for someone using it for GA and quite a bit of other stuff, as long as that other stuff doesn’t include video editing or similar storage hungry tasks.

Also, ours have the Apple Pencil 2. I love it, it is so much easier than writing with a finger. I use it for recording ATIS and clearances, marking up charts, and lots of other things. It’s extremely useful. I think at about $129 it’s way overpriced, but I do like using it so I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for it.

two words……zoom.

Not everything in FF zooms though. Kinda a PITA

I had an old mini. Upgraded to the newest but don’t have a mount for it yet.

If you are getting the larger version you won’t want it on the yoke as it will cover gauges and inhibit yoke control. And it won’t work well on the dash or side window as it will take away your outside view. You can keep it on your passenger’s lap but that’s a PITA. Recommend sticking with paper and writing stuff down as was done before if you don’t want a yoke mounted mini. There’s just not a lot of great options if you insist on the pro version.

lol.

OP> "I don't want a mini"

Everyone> "Get a mini" :D

Under the constraints of the question, I'd vote for the Air. Lighter and less battery-hungry. The latter should help with cooling concerns on that slab if it's in direct sunlight.

(Get a mini :p)

sit in the pilots seat, put a friends mini where you think you'll mount it when flying, and see for yourself before buying
That's good advice. Better yet, fly with it and see if you can reach and see everything you need access to in the cockpit. And if the iPad display is readable, of course.

- Martin

While we are on this topic, I’m thinking about yoke options for my new mini.

My old mini RAM mount I positioned so that the tablet was right on the yoke.

Does anyone have any experience in using a RAM mount so that it’s lifted vertically some inches above the yoke? Thinking stability and such while using.

Yes. My old one was only a year old and the battery was significantly better than the new one. So far the two guys I’ve flown with that had the new iPad had similar experiences. Just curious…
I’m curious if the settings for background services are different.

Now that I've had a couple of trips under my belt with it - you're right, I think the battery is actually worse. It's better than my old iPad in the sense that the other battery was pretty much on its last legs, but the old iPad with a new battery would've been better than this one. One thing I do know is FD Pro doesn't know how to manage its background processes properly, and sits there and consumes a bunch of power even when not active. It's been a problem for a long time and we're instructed to terminate FD Pro anytime we're not actively using it.

On the other hand, we use Comply365 for our manuals, and that thing has become such a bloated mess that it essentially requires the latest iPad to run adequately. Which is sad since it's essentially a glorified pdf reader.

I have been using a 9.7 ipad for years. I built a custom mount using a spring loaded RAM mount on my control wheel. It does not cause me any problems and is easy to access in rough air, plus it is easier to read than the mini for my old eyes.

I have the same I Pad - which is now about the same size as the new Mini. The only downside is 1) the battery either doesn't hold the charge as well now that is it 7 (?) years old, and 2) I haven't the slightest reason/excuse to buy a shiny new something for flying - it just keeps running.

Note: The battery surely has degraded somewhat over the years, but I keep the I pad plugged in while flying so even that can't be used as an excuse to buy a replacement.

Back