Latest iPad Pro Vs Air? - 2022 Models

I've found that the higher I go, in a non-pressurized plane, the easier the iPad overheats. I guess that's just physics, eh?

Going up from 10,000, I have to become a little more aware of keeping it out of direct sunlight for an extended period. Fortunately, I have a fresh air vent right down by my ankle and can cool the iPad any time I choose. At FL190, it doesn't take long to get the warning if I am not paying attention.

This is for a 2017 model iPad. 5th Generation.

While we are on this topic, I’m thinking about yoke options for my new mini.

My old mini RAM mount I positioned so that the tablet was right on the yoke.

Does anyone have any experience in using a RAM mount so that it’s lifted vertically some inches above the yoke? Thinking stability and such while using.
I use the RAM EZrollr cradle for the iPad Mini 6 in the Archer. Works great!

https://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilo...aH-koKUJgGarY_Es_To4QbbRuitxNSoMaAmMLEALw_wcB

I used a mini4 then mini5. Now I use a mini6, recent purchase. Bigger screen in the same outer dimensions is nice but I didn't realize how often I used the button in the previous models. I mount it to the yoke, or in a lap strap depending on the sunlight (typically fly a Grumman Traveler). I use a stylus only for flight planning, a kneeboard with pen & paper for in flight notes and clearances.
I would only use a stylus in flight if I had a bigger ipad, on my lap and split screen the map and note taking section. My handwriting with a stylus is garbage even on a desk.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered one including the suction cup mount. Probably won’t work in the summer heat but we’ll see.
Yoke mount attachment is much better!

That’s what I have been using with the older Mini. And will probably use with the new one as well. But I want to try it anyways … probably mount it to the windscreen front and center. I’m in IR training and sometimes feel the yoke mount creates too much heads down focus away from the instruments.

I tried that, using a yoke mount for my ram cradle. It just blocked too much if the panel for me.

That’s what I have been using with the older Mini. And will probably use with the new one as well. But I want to try it anyways … probably mount it to the windscreen front and center. I’m in IR training and sometimes feel the yoke mount creates too much heads down focus away from the instruments.
Mount it to the side of the front window by the door. Don’t recommend anything on the windscreen. Besides - for ifr training with the foggles you wouldn’t see it on the front windshield anyway.

Last edited:
Mount it to the side window. Don’t recommend anything on the windscreen. Besides - for ifr training with the foggles you wouldn’t see it on the front windshield anyway.

I use the old school hood. Now that you mention it looking up to see the screen would defeat the purpose. I’ll try both locations for VFR flying. Maybe keep it on the yoke for IR training flights.

Just before starting accelerated IFR training I put a mini 6 on the Ram ez roll’r yoke mount in my PA28. I was worried the mini was going to seem too small but it’s actually perfect and now I can’t imagine anything different. I’m new to bifocals (clear to 1.5x readers) and one surprise is how perfectly that’s in line for being able to focus without head movement. There are some options on how to assemble that yoke mount but it’s easy to swap with just a Phillips and I ended up changing that to get it to fit centered.

Just before starting accelerated IFR training I put a mini 6 on the Ram ez roll’r yoke mount in my PA28. I was worried the mini was going to seem too small but it’s actually perfect and now I can’t imagine anything different. I’m new to bifocals (clear to 1.5x readers) and one surprise is how perfectly that’s in line for being able to focus without head movement. There are some options on how to assemble that yoke mount but it’s easy to swap with just a Phillips and I ended up changing that to get it to fit centered.

Yeah, exactly how I have it set up. Works very well!

I just ventured in to this thread as i'm considering a new iPad. I'm a CFI/CFII/MEI. I've used the Mini 5 for a few years. I have a yoke mount and a suction mount. I moved to the yoke mount when i began ifr training. The mini is great in the cockpit of GA airplanes. Now i mostly keep it on my lap and use a stylus for taking notes, clearances, getting ATIS, etc. The only time i wish i had a larger ipad is when doing ground lessons with a student or during the pre/post flight brief. The mini isn't really practical for screen sharing with a student and I'm forced to bring a laptop when i'm scheduled for a ground lesson, which i hate doing because i don't want to carry two devices in my flight bag.

@DenverJayhawk - I have the larger iPad. I strap it to my leg as it is too big to fit on the yoke and would block more window than I would be comfortable with. I have a kneeboard with paper and pen on my other leg. I do better taking notes with a pen and paper than on the iPad with a stylus. So, while in the aircraft, I use the iPad only for ForeFlight. Works great. Fits in the airplane good enough without blocking anything (strapped to my leg). Out of the airplane, the larger size is nice.

I did get the cellular model of the iPad so as to also have the gps chip. However, I have never activated the iPad onto a cellular plan and so do not pay an extra monthly line fee on the iPad. I either use WiFi from facilities or just hotspot to it from my phone. I was not sure whether I wanted/needed the gps chip or not but figured may as well get it in case I need it as it can not be added later.

And then I got a big Otter case (or something like that) to protect the iPad it so I would have less chance of breaking it climbing in and out of the aircraft. Downside is it sometimes gets hot. If it starts to get hot, first thing is to pull the charging cable which quickly cuts down on heat. iPad is extra and not required for flight so if it overheats and shuts down - well - it is what it is. Everything I "need" is on the panel. The iPad is a "want".

Nope - found the email. It’s an 11.
View attachment 114494

Thinking more about size, it’s fine in a DA40/42, P32R… but any smaller aircraft it’s just a tad in the way. Not so much that I don’t use it, but just in the back of my head.
That's what I use in the 182. Works great, but probably not for smaller planes, like @kaiser said.

This is my view.
1691101679120.png

I'm not interested in struggling to look at the mini at my age.

I had been flying for 4 years with a full size Ipad. When I started my instrument training last October my cfii had a mini, and I needed to upgrade for more storage. Anyhow I went with a mini this time around and have no regrets. It fits in the cockpit better not as cumbersome. I don't use a mount so it also rides on the leg better than the giant size, and no issues reading it while flying. Just zoom in on what you want to see better.

I have an iPad Pro 10.5” but I use a Mini 6 because it’s what fits. I have a yoke mount but I’m not a fan of the iPad there. On the panel is way better. No panel space for even a Mini in the Cub so I use my iPhone Max there.

To the old eyes comment? IDevices allow you to easily pinch the area open to see fine details. Screen size isn’t a problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpeg
    IMG_0973.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2532.jpeg
    IMG_2532.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 11
While we are on this topic, I’m thinking about yoke options for my new mini.

My old mini RAM mount I positioned so that the tablet was right on the yoke.

Does anyone have any experience in using a RAM mount so that it’s lifted vertically some inches above the yoke? Thinking stability and such while using.
I use an ipad Air with Ram suction mount on the left just above the vent window in my Archer. Works perfectly. I can see everything I need to see with a quick glance to the left.

Put the yoke mount on upside down. Choose your ball-to-ball adaptor length. You’ll have a better tilt to view option.

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpeg
    IMG_0972.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0975.jpeg
    IMG_0975.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 8
Attached are pics of my mini 6 cellular on a Ram EZ Roller setup in the Arrow. IMG_2996.jpgIMG_2992.jpg

I wouldn't change a thing and liked it so much we did the exact same in my son's 150. 71235009148__9955EF3C-CF3C-4338-ABAD-886A150464C0-preview.jpg

Vertical fits good in the Piper yoke. Horizontal for the Cessna. We use a "tough claw" instead of their yoke mount - seems more secure.

Good thing I only fly down below … this oxygen setup looks like something from ICU …

Good thing I only fly down below … this oxygen setup looks like something from ICU …

I only use my O2 on occasion, cannula is not very comfortable. I think he’s flying a turbo so flying high is the point of having one.

My plane came with the factory oxygen tank and the cannulas. My first time using them was going East over Lake Michigan at 15k last week. Second time was coming back west-bound yesterday at 16k. According to the FF ring if I could make a 9:1 glide ratio I’d have made it to shallow water. Still wore a PFD

My plane came with the factory oxygen tank and the cannulas. My first time using them was going East over Lake Michigan at 15k last week. Second time was coming back west-bound yesterday at 16k. According to the FF ring if I could make a 9:1 glide ratio I’d have made it to shallow water. Still wore a PFD

Back