YouTube

midlifeflyer

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fly
This is a takeoff on a post I read elsewhere last month decrying YouTube aviators and lack of traffic scanning. Just some thoughts.

I watch YouTube Aviation almost every night. I'm a fan of a number of them and am frightened by others. But good or bad, I have noticed a something from a significant number of them. Not all of course (no names).

They started out simply sharing their joy of flight with video and a bit of artistic creativity. They were creative enough to generate a following. At some point, the following became large enough that they began playing to their audience. Patreon for fan funding. Corporate sponsors. TV style "crossover" episodes. One even mentioned a few months ago he wants to hire someone to do the editing!

What started out as a hobby became show biz. That has led to a number of changes. One is a bit concerning to me, even accounting for the many segments edited out. So much time is spent playing to the audience, showing things to the audience, talking to the audience that, especially on autopilot, the scan for traffic and for autopilot anomalies seems to have degraded.

Last edited:
There is certainly a level of showmanship when it comes to these things (some more so than others) but I have not seen anything I would call dangerous. Most of the time they are IFR so there is always a level of "ATC has my back" going on when it comes to traffic. Right or wrong that is the way it is. They are also generally flying bigger faster aircraft and I can only imagine that makes it harder to spot other traffic as well.

I wonder if since YouTube at some point pays people for content, if their Vlog constitutes commercial purpose? If it does and they do not have a commercial ticket, are they going after them or do they turn a blind eye?

I wonder if since YouTube at some point pays people for content, if their Vlog constitutes commercial purpose? If it does and they do not have a commercial ticket, are they going after them or do they turn a blind eye?
We're not just talking about the bit YouTube pays. Some of these guys are sponsored by such companies as ForeFlight and Bose.

Theoretically it does require a commercial certificate. There was an ill-conceived Chief Counsel opinion a few years ago (2010 Perry Letter) indicating a commercial pilot certificate is required for even a "hobby type" aerial photography business.

I don't know if the FAA is sticking by its guns, just letting it go, or rethinking that position. But a lot of the guys I'm talking about do have commercial certificates.

I have been doing the videos and you tube for awhile. For me it's fun way to review my flights and share with friends and family. I don't get a dime, and it cost me many hours of edit time. I typically talk to myself while flying anyway....At least now I have an excuse.

I hope I'm not one of the ones that frighten anyone. The response so far has been positive, so I'll keep sharing. Flying the plane is the number one task, and many times I forget to turn the darn thing on when it gets busy or, as my bride says, doing that pilot stuff.

I think monies received for any video (sponsors or patreon) is compensation and that's a no go....I really wouldn't want that crap to deal with.

Meanwhile, people that aren't making videos, aren't scanning for traffic either.

This is why I stopped uploading. I continue to take a camera for debriefing purposes. But, I am done with the expert commentators and their conspiracy theories.

There is a reason airlines require "sterile cockpit" procedures below 10,000 feet. Nothing not related to the flight is done or discussed below ten.

Under that rule there would be no conversation in most of the GA flights...:yikes: Just kidding, I understand what your point...:goofy:

“Except cruise flight.” A 135 rule as well. It would be one quiet cockpit at work if we couldn’t chit chat below 10,000 ft. ;)

Last edited:
I think they are doing aviation a good service. It's brought general aviation specifically into a spotlight it didn't have a decade ago. I'd imagine at least some of that has inspired new pilots.

I couldn't give two craps about argueing whether their Patreons require a commercial ticket or such.

Last edited:
There is a reason airlines require "sterile cockpit" procedures below 10,000 feet. Nothing not related to the flight is done or discussed below ten.

Bugsmasher country! That's why I'm around 15 usually!!

Slight nit...it's the FAA, not the airlines, that require it.;)

Applies to 121, 135, 91k, & probably some other ops.

I think they are doing aviation a good service. It's brought general aviation specifically into a spotlight it didn't have a decade ago. I'd imagine at least some of that has inspired new pilots.

I couldn't give two craps about argueing whether their Patreons require a commercial ticket or such. You are so deep into the red tape at that point.

Yep...like it or not those YouTubers are attracting younger pilots.

Oops,
You just gave away who you were talking about!
I'm talking about a general phenomenon. There is more than one getting sponsorship, including pilots who do not appear to me to be getting distracted.
The single most cringeworthy pilot to me on YouTube doesn't have sponsors.

I have been doing the videos and you tube for awhile. For me it's fun way to review my flights and share with friends and family. I don't get a dime, and it cost me many hours of edit time. I typically talk to myself while flying anyway....At least now I have an excuse.

I hope I'm not one of the ones that frighten anyone. The response so far has been positive, so I'll keep sharing. Flying the plane is the number one task, and many times I forget to turn the darn thing on when it gets busy or, as my bride says, doing that pilot stuff.

I think monies received for any video (sponsors or patreon) is compensation and that's a no go....I really wouldn't want that crap to deal with.
Keep sharing :)

I'm a Youtuber and I document my flights and share my opinions on airplanes/aviation weekly on YouTube. Of course there will be errors made. I've made plenty myself. But no one is perfect including the pulpit commentators (love them all).
I can't speak for everyone else but I can tell you how many people who started their journey as a pilot from watching my videos. Most people don't know how much it takes to put yourself out there in public and be vulnerable to everyone and their mamas opinions. Talk less of the amount of time it takes to edit one video as someone already mentioned. But we do it cos we love airplanes, and nothing wrong with sharing that with the world or getting paid in the process. If I get just one person reach out to me and say: I started flying from watching your videos, then mission accomplished! And I've gotten plenty, so I'll keep the videos coming :)

Last edited:
I'm a Youtuber and I document my flights and share my opinions on airplanes/aviation weekly on YouTube. Of course there will be errors made. I've made plenty myself. But no one is perfect including the pulpit commentators (love them all).
I can't speak for everyone else but I can tell you how many people who started their journey as a pilot from watching my videos. Most people don't know how much it takes to put yourself out there in public and be vulnerable to everyone and their mamas opinions. But we do it cos we love airplanes, and nothing wrong with sharing that with the world or getting paid in the process. If I get just one person reach out to me and say: I started flying from watching your videos, then mission accomplished! And I've gotten plenty, so I'll keep the videos coming :)

I feel ya man.
I just want to make the flying community safer.
I'm basically giving free flight instruction. And like you mention, the editing. Takes a lot of effort.
I just want to give back.

But the haters... trying to keep us down!

I hope the FAA doesn't require me to give back all the money I made while doing YouTube flying videos in the last 3 years. I spent it all.
I found a quarter on the floor of the plane. No one claimed it, after I got back, so I used it to buy a cup of tea.
Should I have declared it on my taxes?

Interesting. Just when I was thinking of starting a YouTube channel called “eyes outside” where in every video all I do is look for traffic. Looking for traffic, looking for traffic, looking for traffic. I would regularly interrupt traffic spotting with checklist usage. I might twist things up a bit now and then by pulling out the FAR’s to reference some obscure regulation. After landing I’d call my CFI to run the entire flight by him to see how I did. I’d end the video, after closing my flight plan, with me making the appropriate entries in my logbook (both paper and digital of course).

Looking to get a million subscribers.

Interesting. Just when I was thinking of starting a YouTube channel called “eyes outside” where in every video all I do is look for traffic. Looking for traffic, looking for traffic, looking for traffic. I would regularly interrupt traffic spotting with checklist usage. I might twist things up a bit now and then by pulling out the FAR’s to reference some obscure regulation. After landing I’d call my CFI to run the entire flight by him to see how I did. I’d end the video, after closing my flight plan, with me making the appropriate entries in my logbook (both paper and digital of course).

Looking to get a million subscribers.

:rofl:

I feel ya man.
I just want to make the flying community safer.
I'm basically giving free flight instruction. And like you mention, the editing. Takes a lot of effort.
I just want to give back.

But the haters... trying to keep us down!
Hey I'm one of your subs man. Love your videos. Keep sharing!

Just subscribed. Never knew you had a channel. And no, I never noticed the link in your sig before. :D

I hope that's not me! Considering I don't have sponsors...:nonod: Oh wait, I pretty much never use my autopilot...does that mean I'm safe? :)

As 6er said, I'm relatively new to it and just enjoy sharing for others that enjoy. I don't have a large following and at times posting can be a pain (editing and other stuff) but I'm still enjoying doing it. I've received several comments from people that say they are learning stuff or getting interested in aviation. I hope the videos come off as a positive influence. I have had some growing pains but have gotten to set the cameras and forget them. When things are calm in cruise I will talk, explain or show other things but try to stay sterile for takeoff and landings. I also try to explain and not edit out my mistakes...a video I'm editing now has my worst landing in many many years but it'll go up.

I hope the FAA doesn't require me to give back all the money I made while doing YouTube flying videos in the last 3 years. I spent it all.
I found a quarter on the floor of the plane. No one claimed it, after I got back, so I used it to buy a cup of tea.
Should I have declared it on my taxes?

FAA doesn't care how much you make, only that you are properly certified. IRS doesn't care how you make money, or if it is even legal, they just want their share of the taxes.

Interesting thread, I am a Youtuber, initially started to film to learn the backcountry strips by myself, since there was no backcountry instructor in Costa Rica, I will film the approaches, landings to how to get better and safer, I equipped my 182 as best as possible for this kind of flying.

Most people like to see a 182 in challenging backcountry stuff, others say its crazy etc, many dont realize it is not a regular 182 anymore, and can approach at 50MPH or even less, and that I fly 3 to 4 times per week, just this kind of flying and train for it.

I have fun doing the flying and the filming, and it promotes aviation.

Yep...like it or not those YouTubers are attracting younger pilots.
Which is why I am having a hard time understanding why the FAA hasn't shut this down.

Oops - I ain't got no sponsors - I didn't think I was that bad.

Dude! Way more than I have made.

I've put up a few (https://www.youtube.com/user/pilawt). No monetizing. Some flying videos are more tightly edited for public consumption; others have long inflight scenes for when I just want a flying fix.

I also found some flying videotapes from the 1980s and 1990s, and put them up there. In those pre-GoPro days I'd set a camera up on the glareshield or on a tripod in the baggage compartment of a rented Mooney, or something, and get some footage. The video quality is awful compared to a modern GoPro, but I'm glad I saved them; those were good times.

There's some other fun things in there, too.

It’s probably me, although I don’t qualify as a ‘youtuber’.

I have a You Tube channel and have been posting for around ten years. I'm not a pilot but interview and video pilots that are. I have had a wonderful time sharing the pilots and their planes on You Tube for everyone to enjoy. I'm new to POA so I can't put a link to my channel, but type my name Erik Johnston and have some fun. Thanks.

I couldn't give two craps about argueing whether their Patreons require a commercial ticket or such.

This is my feelings exactly. When I got into flying some 5 or so years ago, watching flying videos on YouTube was an important influence on me realizing I could do it if all these people can do it. Back then, I’d consume as much as I could aviation related. These guys and gals who shared their flights made me learn more. I’m sure people are still watching these videos and saying to themselves “hey maybe I can do that too.” I look at that as a good thing.

To the OP’s original point, some of the youtubers I started off watching have gotten unwatchable because their self promoting, egotistical and self agrandizing videos are too much to stomach. I’ll take a simply edited video of a flight anyday!

Obviously this thread is about me and my Youtube video where I almost crapped myself in flight. It's hard to scan when you're focusing 100% on sphincter control you guys. My bad. Geeze.

Last edited:
There is some good info on YouTube videos.just saying.

I have a You Tube channel and have been posting for around ten years. I'm not a pilot but interview and video pilots that are. I have had a wonderful time sharing the pilots and their planes on You Tube for everyone to enjoy. I'm new to POA so I can't put a link to my channel, but type my name Erik Johnston and have some fun. Thanks.

Erik!!! Welcome to POA!
(It's Bryan) subscribed.

Back