YouTube

I hope that's not me! Considering I don't have sponsors...:nonod: Oh wait, I pretty much never use my autopilot...does that mean I'm safe? :)

As 6er said, I'm relatively new to it and just enjoy sharing for others that enjoy. I don't have a large following and at times posting can be a pain (editing and other stuff) but I'm still enjoying doing it. I've received several comments from people that say they are learning stuff or getting interested in aviation. I hope the videos come off as a positive influence. I have had some growing pains but have gotten to set the cameras and forget them. When things are calm in cruise I will talk, explain or show other things but try to stay sterile for takeoff and landings. I also try to explain and not edit out my mistakes...a video I'm editing now has my worst landing in many many years but it'll go up.

I watch yours Kevin, well, not you specifically, but that woman you drag around with you, well actually to see what she's wearing, fashion wise ya know. Gotta keep up with the fashion times. Plus I have a fondness for 310s, especially Rs. ;):D

My 6 followers on YouTube have no expectation of any foolishness.
They just wish I would stop flying so there will be something to inherit when I finally auger in.

I think you mean 7 subscribers ;)

l
I don't know if the FAA is sticking by its guns, just letting it go, or rethinking that position. But a lot of the guys I'm talking about do have commercial certificates.

There’s no way they’re meeting the other requirements of a Commercial certificate holder for those flights, though. Can’t really operate the flight under Part 91 and then make money from it just because you hold a Commercial certificate.

I don’t really care, but it’s not quite valid to give the impression the certificate makes a flight legal to make money on the internet or anywhere else.

I'm talking about a general phenomenon. There is more than one getting sponsorship, including pilots who do not appear to me to be getting distracted.
The single most cringeworthy pilot to me on YouTube doesn't have sponsors.

I agree. There are channels that do voice-over work after the flight for what’s going on in the cockpit and a few who do a quick talk to the camera in cruise by one of a two-pilot crew, but there’s also the channels where the single pilot is literally turned to face the camera and talking and looking directly into it down in low altitude flight or even in the pattern. There seems to be a line here that could reasonably be drawn somewhere, but I hesitate to say where it is.

I hope the FAA doesn't require me to give back all the money I made while doing YouTube flying videos in the last 3 years. I spent it all.
I found a quarter on the floor of the plane. No one claimed it, after I got back, so I used it to buy a cup of tea.
Should I have declared it on my taxes?

Technically yes. It’s income. But that’s not this thread. I’ve never seen you pander to the camera while looking at it, in flight. I think that’s what Mark is focused on and not the money part of it.

The mention of the money and sponsorships is more in relation to what the motivation is to “perform” for the camera.

Interesting thread, I am a Youtuber, initially started to film to learn the backcountry strips by myself, since there was no backcountry instructor in Costa Rica, I will film the approaches, landings to how to get better and safer, I equipped my 182 as best as possible for this kind of flying.

Most people like to see a 182 in challenging backcountry stuff, others say its crazy etc, many dont realize it is not a regular 182 anymore, and can approach at 50MPH or even less, and that I fly 3 to 4 times per week, just this kind of flying and train for it.

I have fun doing the flying and the filming, and it promotes aviation.

I’ve also never seen you pander to a camera in-flight.

I’ve taken cameras up a total of twice and found a couple of things.

One was, when you first do it, the setup, mounting, startup, and management of the cameras is most certainly a distraction. And it does lower your attention on various other things from pre-flight to shutdown. After you’ve done it a couple of times it’s not noticeable.

The other was, I really felt best just ignoring that they were there. Talking into the intercom to the potential “audience” when in cruise and away from dense traffic areas and airports also wouldn’t be any significant distraction and can be interrupted at any time.

But I’m with Mark, I’m not a fan of the videos where someone is looking at the camera and talking to it in critical phases of flight. Especially CFIs. Students and even certificated pilots will mimic exactly the behavior they see a CFI doing or getting away with, when the CFI isn’t around.

If I wanted to do some sort of training video, I could talk into the intercom in nearly any flight phase but interrupted at ATC and other aircraft talking, just like a normal training flight, and I could do a scripted voice over and edit it into the video footage later.

Now... we could point out that John and Martha King set the standard on this, and were talking to the intercom on camera but weren’t usually turning TO the camera in-flight, even in critical phases of flight, a number of decades ago. And those cameras they had to work with back then, weren’t small. They’d easily block the traffic view out of the entire passenger side of the aircraft back then!

So... I dunno. Where’s the line between safe operation and too much hamming it up for a YouTube audience? There probably is one.

I know where mine is. It’s definitely over the line to turn and look into the camera and talk to it, and it’s questionable to keep a running commentary going to the audio for things not directly associated with the flight.

“We have a giveaway for a Bose headset this week...” too far for me. Do it in a voice over into a good quality mic, sitting on the ground at the laptop. But if you’re going to do it, do it in cruise and don’t look at the camera. And don’t talk over the radio traffic. Which in most airspace IFR means, “nope”. For me anyway.

“I will demonstrate this maneuver now...” that’s nothing worse than every CFI has to do with a student. But I could see where if there’s no student on board in real life, the audio for that can be added in post-production, too. I’m sitting on the fence on that one. I don’t mind if students talk themselves through maneuvers either, and that’s nearly identical.

Recording normal ATC comm and such, zero problem with that. That part is way over in the okay column for me.

There’s no way they’re meeting the other requirements of a Commercial certificate holder for those flights, though. Can’t really operate the flight under Part 91 and then make money from it just because you hold a Commercial certificate.
"Aerial photography or survey" is one if the list of actuvities in 119.1 which a commercial pilot can do for compensation or hire without a commercial operating certificate.

"Aerial photography or survey" is one if the list of actuvities in 119.1 which a commercial pilot can do for compensation or hire without a commercial operating certificate.

And then we get into the intent of “aerial photography”... was the intent that they would be photographing themselves in the cockpit? :)

Surveying how quaffed their hair looks today in the reflection of a camera lens? :) :) :)

And then we get into the intent of “aerial photography”... was the intent that they would be photographing themselves in the cockpit? :)

Surveying how quaffed their hair looks today in the reflection of a camera lens? :) :) :)
I'd say the intent was to cover acting as a platform carrying a person (photographer) or someone else's property (photography equipment) )for hire. The interpretations until Perry were all about not being able to land anywhere other than the takeoff airport with the photographer on board.

But that is not how the FAA read it in 2010. Whether they'd read it the same today in the YouTube context (dunno) was my only point in mentioning it.

I'd say the intent was to cover acting as a platform carrying a person (photographer) or someone else's property (photography equipment) )for hire. The interpretations until Perry were all about not being able to land anywhere other than the takeoff airport with the photographer on board.

But that is not how the FAA read it in 2010. Whether they'd read it the same today in the YouTube context (dunno) was my only point in mentioning it.

Yeah, Perry is entertaining. I knew about that one when you mentioned it.

We also never really heard what the FAA beef was with one of the single pilot ops guys, when he ranted that they were investigating him for a violation. He disappeared for a bit, and then reappeared with rumors that it was about checklist use, and that he edits a lot of stuff out.

But what’s even stranger about that story is that there are a number of people who’s stated flatly that YouTube videos can’t be used by FAA for enforcement actions, since it’s all quite editable and even capable of being modified by CGI. Not admissible as evidence.

And yet, there’s stories of enforcement actions coming about against pilots for things posted on YouTube, but usually the story is that FAA contacted witnesses and uses the witness statements for the evidence. The video only got their interest up, but wasn’t admissible evidence.

So then I wonder, who did FAA think they’d find as a witness to improper operation in that single-pilot’s case? Passengers? Nobody else flies with him. So were they just rattling his cage with no way to violate him for anything?

All very strange, when it comes to YouTube and the FAA.

And I’m sure you followed another somewhat famous Aviation attorney’s early days attempts to figure out if even mounting an external camera for shooting a movie was legal, and how to make it so.

In those early days, the multiple answers he got back from multiple FSDOs were sure entertaining before widespread policy came down from on high. :)

Steveo has not talked publicly about the details of his interaction with the FAA. There's been plenty of speculation (as usual) but nothing concrete.

With 25 of my full time years engaged in litigation of one form or another I'm definitely not one of those who will state "flatly" that YouTube videos cannot be used as evidence.

I flew commercial ops in a previous life. All were legal and all were part 91.

But more to the point, I think it would be pretty easy to make a case that just like the business person who can simply drive themselves to their destination instead of flying therefore making the flight 'incidental to the primary business' and therefore making it legal for them to do as a private pilot, these youtube folks can and often do post videos which have no footage shot in flight therefore also making the flight 'incidental to their primary youtube business'.

As for the actual thread topic? Meh. GA needs all the help it can get. The more aviation related video makers the better. Does that mean there will be more people doing boneheaded stuff (or at least appearing to) on camera? Yup. But when you get right down to brass tacks, most of those individuals were probably going to do the boneheaded stuff whether they had a camera on them or not.

And not for nothing but I'm far more annoyed with youtubers who don't look at the camera but instead look 3" to the left at themselves on the camera's monitor. Look at me, not you when you're talking to me.

Other than that, this topic comes down to two thoughts. Haters gotta.... And there but for the grace...

when you first do it, the setup, mounting, startup, and management of the cameras is most certainly a distraction. And it does lower your attention on various other things from pre-flight to shutdown. After you’ve done it a couple of times it’s not noticeable.

With 25 of my full time years engaged in litigation of one form or another I'm definitely not one of those who will state "flatly" that YouTube videos cannot be used as evidence.

Agreed. Although I'm only at 23.

There is some good info on YouTube videos.just saying.

I like to hunt down approach-landings at fields I haven't been to for more perspective. Not the usual field, but the Catalina or Fullerton types that have their own unusual variations. I post some of mine for others, but without commentary and usually the pax filming so not always real great.

Also like watching Oshkosh stuff, STOL competition, etc.

As for the actual thread topic? Meh. GA needs all the help it can get. The more aviation related video makers the better. Does that mean there will be more people doing boneheaded stuff (or at least appearing to) on camera? Yup. But when you get right down to brass tacks, most of those individuals were probably going to do the boneheaded stuff whether they had a camera on them or not.

Other than that, this topic comes down to two thoughts. Haters gotta.... And there but for the grace...

Nah, I don’t agree that someone distracted and looking at a camera will do the same boneheaded stuff they’d do if their attention wasn’t on the camera. But perhaps.

Your last line is pretty much, life. :)

Nah, I don’t agree that someone distracted and looking at a camera will do the same boneheaded stuff they’d do if their attention wasn’t on the camera. But perhaps.
I didn't mean to say they're doing the same exact boneheaded stuff although that's how what I wrote came out. I think the point I going for is that plenty of pilots were flying along VFR not paying much attention to what they were doing nor scanning much for traffic since way before GoPros or Youtube were ever dreamt of. I'm not excusing the behavior, I'm just saying if you're deciding to get upset about it only now because of Youtube and GoPros, you're a little late.

Back