You ever wonder where they went?

Just to let everyone know, I may be buying the farm soon.

Trying to get money together to buy a farm in Wyoming.
There be farms in Wyoming? I thought it was all ranching. Hmmm...

Edit: Are there even people in Wyoming? Hmmm...

Miss living there quite a bit. Beautiful place.
My plane was based in Cheyenne for 4 months and wow do I miss it. Colorado I don't miss quite so much as it has become over-saturated and getting worse every day. Wyoming though, is pristine and still largely untouched. I really do miss it there.

My plane was based in Cheyenne for 4 months and wow do I miss it. Colorado I don't miss quite so much as it has become over-saturated and getting worse every day. Wyoming though, is pristine and still largely untouched. I really do miss it there.
Yeah. I should have specified it was beautifully and largely unpopulated. That no people thing is part of the beauty.

But Colorado has @denverpilot.

I ban my own people by putting them on ignore. I get rid of the drama and trolls. So much nicer. Doesn’t matter who it is. Everyone has a few folks who they roll their eyes at. If you didn’t see their existence, you don’t know any better and the rose colored glasses are just so clear.

Agree. Much more pleasant.

Yeah, Wyoming at 6 people per square mi is the second least populous state behind Alaska at 1.3. Montana is third at 7.1. Sounds like my type of place as I hate most people. I could never deal with New Jersey which is the most populous at 1,207.8 people per sq mi. Freakin' sardine can.

Based on this source.

A lot of people don’t stick. They come around for a while and for whatever reason disappear. I joined in 2011 but didn’t start training till 2014, I participated some, but not much. There were buttholes here then, there are buttholes here now. I do think there was more conversation about flying/aviation back then. One day each of us will make our last post.

Yeah, Wyoming at 6 people per square mi is the second least populous state behind Alaska at 1.3. Montana is third at 7.1. Sounds like my type of place as I hate most people. I could never deal with New Jersey which is the most populous at 1,207.8 people per sq mi. Freakin' sardine can.

Based on this source.

Only problem in Alaska is houses are built 3 inches away from each other. Ok, not really that close, but way too close for me. I am wanting to be able to walk out my door and shoot a rifle in all directions without putting others at risk...

This farm I am looking at really isn't what I am wanting but if the price comes down enough it will do. And I am no farmer, I would just lease out the land.

I've be around a while...don't post so much now but lurk a lot.

I LOVED the Spin Zone.

Learned lots from really smart people who do not think like I think...

As the good Professor says..it was definitely the most American part.

When the Spin Zone was active it accounted for roughly a third of the activity on Pilots of America. Was it the best third? Definitely not. It was however, truly the most American.

The board has not been the same since its demise.

Only problem in Alaska is houses are built 3 inches away from each other. Ok, not really that close, but way too close for me. I am wanting to be able to walk out my door and shoot a rifle in all directions without putting others at risk...

This farm I am looking at really isn't what I am wanting but if the price comes down enough it will do. And I am no farmer, I would just lease out the land.

Oh absolutely and I somewhat knew that about Alaska that the population density statistics is skewed by the large amount of land that is pretty much incapable of being inhabited. Many of the areas that are inhabited are packed somewhat tight. At least that is my understanding though I have not seen it first hand. A nice place to visit no doubt but for living; WY, MT, and ID are on the top of my potential list. I'm in NC as a matter of current necessity though I do like it here for the most part.

Maybe we can be neighbors. Outside of rifle range, obviously.

Four different forums I’ve been a long time member of (flying, Cummins diesels, RV, and Jeeps) have had a huge reduction in members and activity over the last few years ... hmmm, maybe it’s me?

Four different forums I’ve been a long time member of (flying, Cummins diesels, RV, and Jeeps) have had a huge reduction in members and activity over the last few years ... hmmm, maybe it’s me?

I know what you mean about the reduction in numbers. There was a Jeep forum (Jeeps Unlimited) that was quite popular and busy for a number of years after I got my Wrangler in 1999, but it is gone now. A few others have disappeared as well. I don't think it's you.

I'm on an RV forum that is thriving.

Oh wait, you might have meant land yachts and trailers and such.

Never mind. :)

I've gone about as far west as I can without dropping off the continental US.

I'm going to fly East.
If I flew West, I may end up in Cleveland. That's a fate worse than death.
Yeah, but if you fly East you may end up in Newark. What’s worse? Pick your poison.

Yeah, but if you fly East you may end up in Newark. What’s worse? Pick your poison.
Newark is too far South for me. Due East takes me over Hartford, Providence, Cape Cod, and somewhere out into the Atlantic.
But yes, Newark is to be avoided at all costs. I hear rumors that just flying over northern New Jersey will cause the paint to peel off your airplane.

Getting ready to fly south,have to admit ,I miss some of the people that left the forum.

I tried to fly west once...in a Champ. Compass said “W” and everything. Kept going east, though.o_O

A lot of times I’ll do a search for a various topic and come across a lot of necro threads full of users that are no longer active on the board. Having been around here for a number of years, I’ve seen a lot of members come and go. After seeing their usernames again on old threads, I’m always curious what ever happened to them.

I’m sure life just got too busy, or they grew tired of the pedantry, some might’ve passed away.

Makes me wonder what happened to some of our older charter members that used to surface around here.

Well, from those who I've kept in touch with here and there...

@mikea didn't have a medical for a while I think, and Grant and Leslie were flying his nice PA28-235 in the meantime. But, with BasicMed, he's back in the air. :)
Tom and Diana are still at the farm.
I think Chip still had a Bonanza and the Husky last he was around. He sold them both and had a Baron for a while. Nowadays, he has no plane but has access to a Navajo and a T182T for the price of gas so it's hard to justify owning your own.
Wayne B, I last spoke with in person almost exactly two years ago in Dallas when a bunch of us got together for dinner. Still has all the best stories and an awesome sense of humor. :)

I feel like I'm missing some... And I know I'm terrible at keeping in touch via non-electronic means. :( But I'm glad to have met all of the PoAers I've met in person. A quality bunch, for sure.

In the old days (20 years ago), most of the discussion was in newgroups of the type rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting, etc.. These got absorbed into google groups. A lot of us used our real names, and many are still around, sadly some are not.

In the old days (20 years ago), most of the discussion was in newgroups of the type rec.aviation.student, rec.aviation.piloting, etc.. These got absorbed into google groups. A lot of us used our real names, and many are still around, sadly some are not.

Those groups died the death of a thousand cuts. First, you had ISP's dropping the newsgroup feeds. Second, since the groups were unmoderated, a few really anonymous trolls turned the whole thing into a dumpster fire and made it unpalatable for everyone else.

I agree that you're seeing forums as a whole falling by the wayside. I suspect some of this has to do with the advent of Facebook groups and social media in general. Since I've been using internet forums for nearly 20 years, this is the format that I like. However I've also started joining Facebook groups for various topics and have been enjoying those, too. Certainly they have advantages. Overall, they're different.

I find the forum format very good for in-depth technical and other conversations. Especially if I can suppress the signature blocks. Facebook is very difficult to parse signal from the Niagara Falls-level onslaught of noise.

I find the forum format very good for in-depth technical and other conversations. Especially if I can suppress the signature blocks. Facebook is very difficult to parse signal from the Niagara Falls-level onslaught of noise.

Very good point. Facebook is good for quick things. The forums are better for longer, in-depth things.

Very good point. Facebook is good for quick things. The forums are better for longer, in-depth things.

Facebook is a social site (and anti-social). LinkedIn is for professional stuff. And POA is for flying stuff. There are people I know on both Facebook and POA, and a few I know on LinkedIn. But, for flying POA (and the AOPA site) are still the place to be.

Facebook is a social site (and anti-social). LinkedIn is for professional stuff. And POA is for flying stuff. There are people I know on both Facebook and POA, and a few I know on LinkedIn. But, for flying POA (and the AOPA site) are still the place to be.

I'd agree, and that's how I use them. I'm members of a couple of Facebook flying groups. The most useful one is a local one, since sometimes there's good local info and discussion there. Most of the others I don't post much on.

I'm a member of a couple of Facebook groups related to the Cobra build, and those are helpful. In fact, so far they seem more helpful than the forums.

Looking at the board stats (post count), it seems as if the board grew steadily until about mid-2013. Then it leveled off at an average of about 25,000 posts/month. After we got rid of the Spin Zone and changed the forum software in January 2016, it dropped to an average of about 17,000 posts/month, but has held pretty steady at that level. People come and go for their own reasons.

In my opinion, a high post count is not necessarily a good thing, because it's often caused by a lot of arguing and back-and-forth.

Back