You ever wonder where they went?

Only problem in Alaska is houses are built 3 inches away from each other. Ok, not really that close, but way too close for me. I am wanting to be able to walk out my door and shoot a rifle in all directions without putting others at risk...

This farm I am looking at really isn't what I am wanting but if the price comes down enough it will do. And I am no farmer, I would just lease out the land.

? Huh

My wife is from Soldotna and her dad lives on over a hundred acres. No neighbors. His brother lives a ways down the road. I’ll be there over Labor Day week.

Only problem in Alaska is houses are built 3 inches away from each other. Ok, not really that close, but way too close for me. I am wanting to be able to walk out my door and shoot a rifle in all directions without putting others at risk...

This farm I am looking at really isn't what I am wanting but if the price comes down enough it will do. And I am no farmer, I would just lease out the land.

Classifying by a state I don't think works. If I go into "town", the houses are all 6 inches apart. Where I live, they're 1/4-mile or more apart. I would imagine Alaska is similar.

I remember thinking that in Casper, WY, when I went there. Lots of small houses close together "in town" when surrounded by middle of nowhere. I couldn't figure out why on earth some people would choose to do that.

That's why we live on our 11 acres surrounded by people who mostly live on 20+ acres.

That's why we live on our 11 acres surrounded by people who mostly live on 20+ acres.
And your neighbors probably can't figure out why you'd want to live like that, crammed into such a tiny space. :D

Reactions: Ted
And your neighbors probably can't figure out why you'd want to live like that, crammed into such a tiny space. :D

I checked Google Maps. Our house is technically 650 ft away from the nearest other house, and then 1,000 ft is the 2nd closest, 2,000 ft beyond that.

One thing nice about our house is it's about 500 ft back from the road, so we have good privacy vs. a lot of other houses in the area, which are set much closer to the road.

? Huh

My wife is from Soldotna and her dad lives on over a hundred acres. No neighbors. His brother lives a ways down the road. I’ll be there over Labor Day week.

Kenia Peninsula, Anchorage, Mat-Su area and southeast Alaska are what I call tame Alaska. Just like living in most anywhere in the US. I haven't spent much time there. Just about all my time has been in the northwest and north Alaska. The summer I spent working out of Homer just about drove me nuts.

When I was flying out of Juneau, a girl in Gustavus was bragging to me that she is so independent by living in the wilds of Alaska. I asked her if she had spent any time in northern Alaska. She said "No, I have never been anywhere but the southeast". It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

Soldotna is a nice area. Nice places to shop, even better places to shop that in Juneau. There are real restaurants, paved roads, able to drive out and close to the Kenai River for some combat dip netting for salmon. We didn't see the money greed in Soldotna and Kenai that prevails in most of Alaska. My wife and I would drive there once a month to get out of Homer and do our shopping. We looked at a couple properties in Kenai, but decided that the Kenai peninsula was not where we wanted to be.

100 acres is more like it. In north Alaska, villages are just packed in. I would fly a couple hundred miles to a village and not see any sign of human habitation until I see the village. 300 folks living in a village and the landing strip is longer than the village...:lol:. But to be fair, building houses that close together helps protect the buildings from the severe weather up there.

I was looking at a 1500 acre farm in Wyoming, but since I have not heard back from the real estate agent I am guessing they did not accept my offer. Hope you stay in Soldotna longer than the weekend. Have fun and bring us back some salmon..!!

I drove on a paved road to show my wife where parts of the show, "Alaska: The Last Frontier" is filmed.

100_1026.JPG

Kenia Peninsula, Anchorage, Mat-Su area and southeast Alaska are what I call tame Alaska. Just like living in most anywhere in the US. I haven't spent much time there. Just about all my time has been in the northwest and north Alaska. The summer I spent working out of Homer just about drove me nuts.

When I was flying out of Juneau, a girl in Gustavus was bragging to me that she is so independent by living in the wilds of Alaska. I asked her if she had spent any time in northern Alaska. She said "No, I have never been anywhere but the southeast". It was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud.

Soldotna is a nice area. Nice places to shop, even better places to shop that in Juneau. There are real restaurants, paved roads, able to drive out and close to the Kenai River for some combat dip netting for salmon. We didn't see the money greed in Soldotna and Kenai that prevails in most of Alaska. My wife and I would drive there once a month to get out of Homer and do our shopping. We looked at a couple properties in Kenai, but decided that the Kenai peninsula was not where we wanted to be.

100 acres is more like it. In north Alaska, villages are just packed in. I would fly a couple hundred miles to a village and not see any sign of human habitation until I see the village. 300 folks living in a village and the landing strip is longer than the village...:lol:. But to be fair, building houses that close together helps protect the buildings from the severe weather up there.

I was looking at a 1500 acre farm in Wyoming, but since I have not heard back from the real estate agent I am guessing they did not accept my offer. Hope you stay in Soldotna longer than the weekend. Have fun and bring us back some salmon..!!

I drove on a paved road to show my wife where parts of the show, "Alaska: The Last Frontier" is filmed.

View attachment 66528

Yea I say 100 acres, but it might actually be quite a bit more than that. Yea I'm sure the villages are a different world. I'll be there the entire week so should be nice. Think were gonna do some fishing for sure.

I agree that you're seeing forums as a whole falling by the wayside. I suspect some of this has to do with the advent of Facebook groups and social media in general. Since I've been using internet forums for nearly 20 years, this is the format that I like. However I've also started joining Facebook groups for various topics and have been enjoying those, too. Certainly they have advantages. Overall, they're different.

The biggest gripe I have with Facebook groups is it's impossible to find past conversations, so you get to have the headset conversation, the high vs low wing conversation, etc every week. It gets old. Plus, not much depth.

Back