Writing your own checklist

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I've wanted to do this for a while and just never got around to it. Took my checklist home with me and now I'm going through and re-arranging some items, pruning some things, and adding some missing items. Since this will be only for my use in my plane I feel like I can omit some parts that IMO are memory items, would like to get some general opinions on that.

One thing I've noticed on this(it's a 2-sided laminated card) is 1/3 of the page is dedicated to the engine start sequence. I have to confess, and perhaps this is a huge sin, I've always skipped right to the pre-taxi part of the checklist because I just don't need the steps to start the engine listed out like that. I own my plane and don't fly any others, and the startup procedure isn't exactly complicated so I don't feel I need it. Is that reckless? I'm not really feeling like it is. I'm tempted to re-write the checklist to fit the way I use it and just omit that entire section or simplify it to "start engine".

I think a "during taxi" section or a reminder to check the DG and turn coordinator operation should be added in.

Most of the other stuff I'm basically OK with as-is.... I'm a minimalist for having checklist items post takeoff. the above 500' items- set power/flaps up/fuel pump off are good. most of the other stuff until the before landing checks to me should just be considered "flying the airplane". I mean, if you are post-solo or have your PPL and you need to be told to trim.....

Might replace most of that with an approach(as in IFR) checklist, a quick "approaching field" check for VFR, and GUMPS... although GUMPS is more of a memory item isn't it?

Anyway, my philosophy here is that everything on that list should be something important I need to always do and could potentially forget. I'm not going to forget to do things like turn the master on or engage the starter.... Thoughts?

I have nothing to add, your thoughts make sense.

I’ve heard just include the “killer” items.

I’m on version 16 of my checklist, after 2 years of ownership. I just keep refining the order here and there, to where it’s still a useful tool for how I fly. That way I still pick it up to confirm I’ve done what I was supposed to.

Anyway, my philosophy here is that everything on that list should be something important I need to always do and could potentially forget. I'm not going to forget to do things like turn the master on or engage the starter.... Thoughts?

That reminds me of a funny checkride story:
https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/check-ride-tunnel-vision/

But other than that, your philosophy looks good to me.

I could see tremors in Matt’s hand as he picked up the checklist and commenced the Engine Start Checklist. As he completed each item, he slid his thumb down the checklist to the next. “Throttle…¼ inch open, master switch…on, electric fuel pump…on, mixture…full rich.” Everything was looking good. “Clear prop!” he yelled through the open window as he scanned the area from left to right.

And then…his thumb slipped. It slipped down the checklist past the line that read, “starter…engage.” Unbelievably, while running the Engine Start Checklist, Matt had forgotten to start the engine. He moved on. The Cadet’s list next called for checking the oil pressure. Matt looked up at the oil pressure gauge. The needle lay, troublingly, on zero. He looked at me, then back at the gauge. He tapped it with his fingertip. “I think the oil pressure is a bit…low,” he finally ventured. I nodded. Uncertainly, he proceeded to the next item. “Electric fuel pump…off.” Matt did it. Without the engine-driven pump turning, the fuel pressure dropped to zero.

Matt looked gravely at the indicator, then at me, then at the indicator. He could not believe his bad luck. He could not comprehend two significant system failures in the first three minutes of his check ride. He looked at me again, and I shrugged. Subsequent inspections of the ammeter and the vacuum gauge revealed more bad news. He tapped them both in befuddlement. His misery was complete.

At this point, I let him off the hook. “Matt,” I said, “what should the oil pressure be when the engine is not running?” His training kicked in. “Oh, normal oil pressure for the PA-28 must be between 25 psi and 100 psi, and it should be…” He fell silent. Then he looked up, smacked himself on the forehead, and smiled for the first time all day. “Oh, yeah,” he chuckled, “It’s awfully quiet, isn’t it.”

Sounds like a good plan. I like a flow then back it up with killer items on the checklist. This is the checklist we use at my airline. It’s very minimalistic and only includes necessary items on it.

tseFYY0.jpg

DaXlc8w.jpg

I've wanted to do this for a while and just never got around to it. Took my checklist home with me and now I'm going through and re-arranging some items, pruning some things, and adding some missing items. Since this will be only for my use in my plane I feel like I can omit some parts that IMO are memory items, would like to get some general opinions on that.

One thing I've noticed on this(it's a 2-sided laminated card) is 1/3 of the page is dedicated to the engine start sequence. I have to confess, and perhaps this is a huge sin, I've always skipped right to the pre-taxi part of the checklist because I just don't need the steps to start the engine listed out like that. I own my plane and don't fly any others, and the startup procedure isn't exactly complicated so I don't feel I need it. Is that reckless? I'm not really feeling like it is. I'm tempted to re-write the checklist to fit the way I use it and just omit that entire section or simplify it to "start engine".

I think a "during taxi" section or a reminder to check the DG and turn coordinator operation should be added in.

Most of the other stuff I'm basically OK with as-is.... I'm a minimalist for having checklist items post takeoff. the above 500' items- set power/flaps up/fuel pump off are good. most of the other stuff until the before landing checks to me should just be considered "flying the airplane". I mean, if you are post-solo or have your PPL and you need to be told to trim.....

Might replace most of that with an approach(as in IFR) checklist, a quick "approaching field" check for VFR, and GUMPS... although GUMPS is more of a memory item isn't it?

The process of making your own checklist is far more valuable than the checklist itself, so you are on the right track.

Personally, I only write down stuff that are not obvious (to me) but critical to flight. No need to write down obvious stuff, like "turn on master switch". An alternate approach is to start with a complete checklist, and highlight the ones that you are prone to forgetting. Generic checklists are a bad idea. They should be customized for every pilot based on their habits and preference.

I don't like acronyms because it makes deciphering a two step process. What does the S in the GUMPS stand for anyway? I can't remember.

That reminds me of a funny checkride story:
https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/check-ride-tunnel-vision/

But other than that, your philosophy looks good to me.
That’s a pretty funny read.

I streamlined my check list to include some speeds and as silly as it sounds “passenger briefing”. It is more organizing the mini lists. I did not remove anything from the original list. Which I have found quite useful. My CFI wanted me to make sure I did that for my IFR checkride. I was told the DPE wanted to see that check list out. Verbalize it- finish task with “climb check list complete”. I practiced that so much I get satisfaction out of calling out loud my list and it’s completion-even when solo.

I have two checklists. One which is two columns back-to-back for preflight and startup/taxi. It is laminated and sits at the edge of my windscreen. The second has four sections that fold to show only one and is clipped to the yoke. It has takeoff, cruise, landing, shutdown sections.

Here's my draft, plan to print/fold in half and laminate once I'm satisfied with it

Attachments

• checklist.pdf
    51.2 KB · Views: 37
I have another double-sided laminated card for emergency procedures and another with the power settings table on it.

I got everything on a double sided 8.5”x11 laminated paper. In order, with printing big enough to see without my glasses.
Customize for me (like adding fuel receipt as first item to hot start procedure).

Tom

I used the Foreflight checklists that they have built in for the 172 and added in some important things that I want on there. It works well for me!

I would consider adding emergency items.
I've personally gone back and forth on that one. For normal ops, I have no problem with rearranging, condensing, removing. With the emergency checklists I'm more (inconsistently) inclined to stick with the book and have the manufacturer ones easily accessible. Obvious exception is older aircraft with very limited emergency checklists.

I've personally gone back and forth on that one. For normal ops, I have no problem with rearranging, condensing, removing. With the emergency checklists I'm more (inconsistently) inclined to stick with the book and have the manufacturer ones easily accessible. Obvious exception is older aircraft with very limited emergency checklists.
Now where in my post did I mention rolling his own wording?

I agree with you that using the same words as the POH is the proper idea. My point was to include the emergency procedures on his new card in order to make them as accessible as possible, instead of a separate physical item.

Now where in my post did I mention rolling his own wording?

I agree with you that using the same words as the POH is the proper idea. My point was to include the emergency procedures on his new card in order to make them as accessible as possible, instead of a separate physical item.
When I think of making one's own checklist I always think in terms of making it more usable in more ways than changing formatting or laminating. In this case, especially since he talks about
re-arranging some items, pruning some things, and adding some missing items.

I wrote my own takeoff, landing/shutdown, and emergency checklists based on the items in the POH. My thoughts are that the checklist should be short enough that you will actually use it. The Grumman AA-5 POH checklist is actually pretty short, but still too long. I've flown other planes where the checklists look like novels--you will never use them because they are too long, or you will frequently skip items when there are too many.

My checklists are in large type, and fit on one letter-sized page, front and back, which I put in a sturdy clear sheet protector. I've rearranged the order of some items to make more sense and better pre-flight flow. It is on my clipboard for easy reference. To be honest, I've not used the emergency checklist in emergencies, but writing that list was very helpful in pre-thinking what motions/actions are necessary in that event. Those motions came in to play a couple of times (without incident, thankfully) and I was apparently able to go through the correct procedures quickly during those emergencies. It's not a bad thing to review the emergency checklist prior to takeoff. If you are at altitude, you or a copilot will have more time to review the checklist to ensure all items have been complied with while flying the plane.

So, yes, I think it is a great idea to write your own checklists which you will use. The engagement factor in doing it will make you more familiar with good safety procedures.

I wrote my own takeoff, landing/shutdown, and emergency checklists based on the items in the POH. My thoughts are that the checklist should be short enough that you will actually use it. The Grumman AA-5 POH checklist is actually pretty short, but still too long. I've flown other planes where the checklists look like novels--you will never use them because they are too long, or you will frequently skip items when there are too many.
You point out what is IMO the Number One reason pilots don't use checklists. Flight school/rental FBO/flying club checklists seem to be the worst offenders. In an effort to write full how-to-do manuals for new students they add huge amount of extraneous material. I love the local airport frequencies, as though their airplanes aren't designed to leave the airport practice area. Some make it even worse by insisting all their members/renters use only theirs. Most experienced folks disregard and use their own. The less experienced get the wrong lesson - checklist are nonsense - and don't use them at all.

I made kneeboard and pocket sized laminated & spiral bound checklist. Works great.

Wrote a blog post how it was made for $7. http://welch.com/n46pg/category/pilot-created-checklists/

-David

IMG_7295-1024x951.jpg

The problem I have with standard checklists, including yours is they include useless items which just make the lists longer, for example, in your takeoff lists, 3 items:
Apply brakes
Apply full power
Release brakes

Has anyone ever forgotten to apply power and release the brakes?
Just sat on the runway asking yourself “I wonder why the plane won’t move?”
I can cut the 12 steps down to 6.

Tom

Last edited:
The problem I have with standard checklists, including yours is they include useless items which just make the lists longer, for example, in your takeoff lists, 3 items:
Apply brakes
Apply full power
Release brakes

Has anyone ever forgotten to apply power and release the brakes?
Just sat on the runway asking yourself “I wonder why the plane won’t move?”
I can cut the 12 steps down to 6.

Tom

Good points. Those items you referred to are in the supplement list for the Robertson STOL STC and must be included as per the regs. For the STOL take-offs, brakes must be applied before power is applied. The plane is also turbo-normalized and there's the extra step to close the waste gate and set mixture before take-off roll, that would otherwise waste valuable take-off roll when using STOL take-off. The brakes part is not included in standard take-off page.

For those who don't know, a pilot made checklist must include factory and STC checklist items from and added flight manual supplements.

-David

Good points. Those items you referred to are in the supplement list for the Robertson STOL STC and must be included as per the regs. For the STOL take-offs, brakes must be applied before power is applied. The plane is also turbo-normalized and there's the extra step to close the waste gate and set mixture before take-off roll, that would otherwise waste valuable take-off roll when using STOL take-off. The brakes part is not included in standard take-off page.

For those who don't know, a pilot made checklist must include factory and STC checklist items from and added flight manual supplements.

-David
I guess I'm one of those who don't know. Do you have a regulatory reference?

-David

I don’t see why, I am not changing the POH, my personal checklist is of no concern to anyone. Now if I provide that checklist as a “company document “ for a commercial operation, then yes.

Tom

During taxi instruments checks of the compass, DG, AI, and TC should be included.

Reminders for avionics setting, time off, and pre take off briefing.

In my case the plane has 2 STC's that alter the flight characteristics. The supplemental flight manuals are required on board. To comply with the STC's both supplemental flight manuals require modifications to the original POH checklist and placards. Back when I had my check ride the DPE said the supplemental flight manuals and unified checklist that includes all items from the POH, Turbo, and STOL kit would be checked. Fortunately this was not an issue. I forget the reg he sighted requiring this.

I’m a big fan of making your own checklists and shaping them around common flowchecks (cigars, gimps, etc). My last plane (172) I rearranged the factory items into flows and then over time took the no-brainer items off. In the end I had a small front and back checklist that had all the usual stuff, including emergency items.

My personal philosophy is ‘do then check’ vs reading a checklist line by line. Do whatever works for you but a handful of flowchecks goes a long way in memorizing standard procedures.

I regularly fly 3 different planes. I 100% agree that the process of thinking through and making your own is extremely valuable. In my case, I also want to have them flow the same and use the same terminology and abbreviations.

I used to laminate, but now use card stock. Easy to update, add written notes, I try to always keep a few extra for every plane in my bag so I have easy access when it is missing or I drop it in a really inconvenient place.

Reminders for avionics setting, time off, and pre take off briefing.
Hmmmm. So far, I haven't forgotten to tune the radio to the
I regularly fly 3 different planes. I 100% agree that the process of thinking through and making your own is extremely valuable. In my case, I also want to have them flow the same and use the same terminology and abbreviations.
Same here. The advantage to me of my checklists is consistency of presentation. Everything is always in the same place.

Hmmmm. So far, I haven't forgotten to tune the radio to the

Same here. The advantage to me of my checklists is consistency of presentation. Everything is always in the same place.

Setting avionics also is putting you route in the flight plan on the Rnav and setting Nav radios.

Here's my draft, plan to print/fold in half and laminate once I'm satisfied with it

About the fuel pump off at 500 .... I don’t want to deal with the mechanical one failing right at take off and then I find that out at 500 feet.... my take it I should reach at least 1000 before switching anything on or off. Thoughts?

Setting avionics also is putting you route in the flight plan on the Rnav and setting Nav radios.
Haven't forgotten to do those before takeoff. It would be akin to forgetting to pick up an IFR clearance or getting ATIS before calling for taxi, both of which I see on checklists all the time.

The real point is, what Pilot A finds essential for a checklist might not be essential to Pilot B, so their checklists would be different. Or one might think a one word "Avionics" prompt enough while another would need it broken down into a series of challenge/response sub-items..

I've told this one before, a friend and I were flying a rental, he was the pilot flying. FBO checklist was missing so he asked to use mine. He got stuck at "switches," stared at it for a while, and asked for the POH.

About the fuel pump off at 500 .... I don’t want to deal with the mechanical one failing right at take off and then I find that out at 500 feet.... my take it I should reach at least 1000 before switching anything on or off. Thoughts?
How long would it take for the engine to die after shutting off the boost pump? How long would it take for the engine to restart after you turn it back on?

How long would it take for the engine to die after shutting off the boost pump? How long would it take for the engine to restart after you turn it back on?

Don’t know, but definitely don’t want to deal with it at 500 AGL, personal choice I guess, but if the fan stops at 500, I will be spending a good amount of whatever time I have to look for a landing spot, not pushing buttons.

Flying multiple airplanes, consistency of language and order is important to me. I have an Excel workbook where the first column of the first spreadsheet is a list of all possible checklist items. Columns, one per aircraft, to the right of this one contain Xs where a item should be included in that particular airplane's checklist. Then there is a bunch of VBA code that uses this spreadsheet to actually generate the individual lists as subsequent spreadsheets. It was a lot of work but now it is trivially easy to add and remove items from any checklist, the order, language and format of the checklists is always consistent, and none contains anything unnecessary.

Don’t know, but definitely don’t want to deal with it at 500 AGL, personal choice I guess, but if the fan stops at 500, I will be spending a good amount of whatever time I have to look for a landing spot, not pushing buttons.
If the engine stumbles quickly after flipping the switch then I think that's a good thing. My instinctive reaction would be to flip the switch back to its original position. I suppose not everyone might react that way, though.

Back