wrecked the Fairchild today

Again, sorry you lost your aircraft. That's got to be a hard thing to deal with.

Last edited:
Or he can scrap it and get another one. He can't get another Tom.

Sorry about the accident, but like others said I'm glad you walked away unscathed except for your ego. And Geico nailed it.

We are not certain this will be recorded as an Accident.

Those pictures were really painful to look at.

I am really glad you came out of it with no injuries.

WOW...... Sorry to see any plane torn up, but..... Looking at the pics I can say you kept it in PERFECT shape.. There wasn't even any bugs stuck to the cooling fins on the motor.. It is clear that was your baby and it shows.....Good to see you have a decent and realistic attitude about the event.....:yesnod:

To add my sick sense of comedy, my I suggest you contact that wonderful mechanic out on the west coast that comes right to your hangar to work on planes....:rolleyes2:... Aw... Never mind..:nonod::D

In the morning light we have several thoughts about yesterday,

the most difficult thing is the wait, to see what the feds and insurance company will do.

The 24 is repairable, but I just don't know IF I want to do it or just move on.

IF : the FAA wants me to do a ride in a T/W aircraft I might buy a 170 and get it done. If they don't we will have a few more options.

I do not know if the insurance company will total it or not I hope they do. that will make the decision process easy.

Sorry to see such a beautiful aircraft in a mishap but stuff happens. Glad no one was hurt.

I do not know if the insurance company will total it or not I hope they do. that will make the decision process easy.

Yeah, right. Then you'll wear out your pencil trying to figure out whether to bid on the salvage.

IF : the FAA wants me to do a ride in a T/W aircraft I might buy a 170 and get it done. If they don't we will have a few more options.

Well, that makes me more positive about the ordeal. I remember you trying to fly students in the Fairchild, and considering selling it, so I was afraid it's going to be the last straw, like John taking hard the FAA enforcement.

Yeah, right. Then you'll wear out your pencil trying to figure out whether to bid on the salvage.
No I don't think so, It's time to stop the money hemorrhaging, and move on.

I hope it works out for you in the end.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about the maintenance records, but getting a tail wheel aircraft to ride in might present a problem.
From the FAA's perspective, that's your problem, not theirs. If you can't find a tailwheel plane for the ride, and take it in a nosewheel plane, expect a "no tailwheel" limitation until you do one with a tailwheel.

I'll wait and see what the NTSB says, This may be placed as an Incident, not an accident.
Accident or incident or neither -- it won't matter to the FAA. Expect a 709 ride.

I talked to the NTSB last evening, and will again on monday. He stated he would be coming up to see the aircraft and do the investigation. And yes, he will be accompanied by a FSDO rep. probably my PMI.
Under the circumstances, expect an Ops Inspector, too, and for that Ops Inspector to be asking about the landing.

If you want one anyway cool. However I am sure there is someone on these forums who owns one, that will come to your rescue, if you just need it or a check ride and a dozen or so touch and goes first.

Aw man, Tom. Really sorry to hear this news. Sending positive thoughts your way...

Jim

Changed my posts to keep this on topic.

Last edited:
Wow, that really sucks dude, hope it can be repaired somehow. Glad you're okay.

From the FAA's perspective, that's your problem, not theirs. If you can't find a tailwheel plane for the ride, and take it in a nosewheel plane, expect a "no tailwheel" limitation until you do one with a tailwheel.

Accident or incident or neither -- it won't matter to the FAA. Expect a 709 ride.

Under the circumstances, expect an Ops Inspector, too, and for that Ops Inspector to be asking about the landing.

we will see what transpires, the FAA is due today at 10:00

Sorry to hear about the Fairchild ... I think of you often when I see the one based at may airport. (Yours looks nicer!)
Hope it all works out the way you want it to.

If you guys want to spar about what one post or another meant, use PMs or exchange email addresses. There's no need to do it in here.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

This was a lousy way to start my morning. I'm glad you're OK, Tom. That's the key thing. Good luck with the FAA and insurance company.

I think we need to cut Mafoo a little slack, as he's a relatively new guy here and doesn't know the whole story of Tom and his Fairchild as has been shared here over the years...

Tom - just very glad you're ok.

Tom, I'm so sorry this happened to you, and to your beautiful bird. :( Seems like I've been reading about your labor of love on these forums since about 2002.

In the morning light we have several thoughts about yesterday,

the most difficult thing is the wait, to see what the feds and insurance company will do.
After my accident, waiting for the FAA, NTSB, and insurance company certainly added to the stress.

Hugs from Missouri.....

Oh, Tom. Sorry to hear this. As everyone else said, it's evident from the pictures how much love and care you put into that airplane. I'm fairly sure I've seen the Fairchild Liz mentioned and I agree, yours looks immaculate by comparison. A hard loss. :(

Ah, this is sad news... so much work you put into restoring her. Sorry to hear this Tom!!

Tom, glad you are OK. Sorry for the bent airplane.

I am reminded of a couple of landings of my own and think - "there, but for the grace of god, go I"

Doing touch and goes at BVS and she got away from me. Ground looped and tore the gear off and it went down on the belly.

She is probably totaled. we will wait until the insurance company evaluates, then make our decisions.

pretty easy guess, pilot error. I got distracted at touch down, and allowed it to touch in a skid, from there I was along for the ride. No excuses, simply my fault.

no injuries, except to my ego, feeling pretty bummed. :(

second accident in 58 years.

Aw man! Sorry to hear that!

This just sucks. No adequate words to express the shared feeling of loss for you, Tom.

The FAA inspectors were here and took their look, both agreed they would file their report but they didn't seem to think there was reason for NTSB to believe it was anything but an incident. There is no major repair involved in getting the aircraft airworthy.

They took a bunch of pictures, including my PPL card, airworthiness certificate, registration, aircraft and engine logs, and of course the damage.

They found that my PPL card did not show the signature very well they allowed me to clean it and resign it, plus 1 mistake on the 337's I had filed, I did not check a block that indicates I was a A&P-IA, they said they would re-file the 337 for me.

we will see what Monday brings. The insurance claim has been made and the adjuster is due then.

The FAA inspectors were here and took their look, both agreed they would file their report but they didn't seem to think there was reason for NTSB to believe it was anything but an incident. There is no major repair involved in getting the aircraft airworthy.

They took a bunch of pictures, including my PPL card, airworthiness certificate, registration, aircraft and engine logs, and of course the damage.

They found that my PPL card did not show the signature very well they allowed me to clean it and resign it, plus 1 mistake on the 337's I had filed, I did not check a block that indicates I was a A&P-IA, they said they would re-file the 337 for me.

we will see what Monday brings. The insurance claim has been made and the adjuster is due then.

That all sounds like great news.

Gosh, Tom, what a shame. It hurts to look at the pics. I hope the Feds maintain a good attitude.
If you decide to get a 170 I know one out here that's available....

Best of luck with the insurance adjuster

Aw, crap. Sorry to hear this, Tom - glad you're OK. Hope you turn out relatively unscathed by the Feds & insurance.

Tom, I'm late getting in but I too am sorry to hear about your incident.

Tom,

This sucks. I've mostly been a lurker here for the last seven years or so, but have always enjoyed your experience and dedication to your craft. I pray that you rebuild that aircraft.

Eggman

Back