wrecked the Fairchild today

Polishing it should keep me off the streets for a while
Maybe you can trade the 24 as a project for that fine Cessna... the 170 owner will find all that work a refreshing break from the polishing. :D

Maybe you can trade the 24 as a project for that fine Cessna... the 170 owner will find all that work a refreshing break from the polishing. :D
I don't believe he will do the deal.

he's Quitting too

Only middle-age if you normally hang with a bunch of 144 year-olds.

Naw, take the oldest person you know. Anyone between their age and yours is middle aged. Works great as long as you aren't the oldest person you know. :D

No they made a conscious choice not to include that feature. Wrong class of aircraft anyhow - 4-seater. Ben H (N801BH) in this thread has one.

Hmmmm, hey Ben, Google up the Gruman wing hinge and tell me what you think it would take to make.

Were you regarding yanking a fold-wing around RV parks?

His neck of the woods, dead serious, lots of beautiful waterside places to set up camp. Be a nice way to travel around the and see the Archipelago. Take the ferries up island hopping and fly to out islands during the day. He already has the Motorhome for it.

Besides, he'd need $360k a year in crew wages on that boat.

Take the ferries up island hopping and fly to out islands during the day. He already has the Motorhome for it.

Have you priced a ferry ticket lately? they charge by the foot, 40' M/H + 30' trailer = nearly $450.00

Plus you must hit the tide right or you can't get the M/H aboard the ferry, or worse you can't get it off. the ramps are simply too steep and the rear drags or you high center going onto the ramp. and off again onto the boat.

M/H and ferries do not mix.

Last edited:
You can't be serious.

It started out at 14 million 5 years ago when it went on the market.

Such a deal :)

I couldn't single hand that ?

Last edited:
Have you priced a ferry ticket lately? they charge by the foot, 40' M/H + 30' trailer = nearly $450.00

Plus you must hit the tide right or you can't get the M/H aboard the ferry, or worse you can't get it off. the ramps are simply too steep and the rear drags or you high center going onto the ramp. and off again onto the boat.

M/H and ferries do not mix.

Right, but the plane allows you to park out in the boonies and get OT (over town) for supplies and stuff very efficiently while only using the ferry once. In that part of the world floats are a very reasonable form of transport and to be able to be above the waves doing 65 is a nice thing.

Right, but the plane allows you to park out in the boonies and get OT (over town) for supplies and stuff very efficiently while only using the ferry once. In that part of the world floats are a very reasonable form of transport and to be able to be above the waves doing 65 is a nice thing.

You probably don't realize that I didn't leave any thing out in the islands the last time I was there and thus have no reason to go back, BTDT type of thing.

My advice to any one that is contemplating a visit to the San Juans, fly to Antacortes walk on the ferry, and do the bed and breakfast tours.

Ok, but I was thinking further North in Alaska.

Very few remote lakes in Ak. that you can drive to, let alone a motor home.

the best way to see Ak that way is a PA-18 with a external load permit for a canoe.

Now that is a blast. until weather locks you in.

I do believe we have made up our minds as to which aircraft to inspect first.

The 172XP with the Garmin stack.

If it looks as good in person as it does in the ad, we will use it as a personal aircraft, and allow certain CFIIs to teach the IFR rating in it.

If it turns out to be mis represented we will go look at the 170. see what it looks like. Two things I don't like about the 170. the instrument panel is modified, and It carries a lot of radios which are heavy and out dated.

Would be interesting to see a write-up and some photos on the 172XP inspection and things you looked at, if it goes well.

(I'm guessing if it doesn't go well, the current owner won't like the bad press... :) )

The XP sure looks nice in the pictures. What's the useful load like in one of those?

John

Would be interesting to see a write-up and some photos on the 172XP inspection and things you looked at, if it goes well.

Can Do, but it will not happen until after 5 nov. the owner is away until then.

(I'm guessing if it doesn't go well, the current owner won't like the bad press... :) )

Does that really matter to us :)

Back